Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Former Cigarette Smokers!

When you smoked, what were your preferred brands and why?

For me it was Parliament non-menthols in high school and part of college, then Marlboro reds (shorts in the box) for a time, then a college friend smoked Benson & Hedges Menthol 100s and I was forever bumming so I started buying and smoking these cigs to pay her back.

Then after college I went back to Marlboro reds (this time longs in the box) and finally I switched to Carlton 100s in the box.

I smoked Carltons for over ten years and I was smoking this brand when I quit four years ago.

At the time I switched to Carlton, they were the lowest tar and nicotine. I know, so what -- low tar makes no difference from a health standpoint.

I don't want to pick up this expensive habit again, but in some small way I miss the ritual of smoking.

by Anonymousreply 13008/14/2014

In order, from 1985-2011

Merit Ultra Lights Camel Lights Marlboro Lights American Spirit Lights Gauloises Red Marlboro Lights

by Anonymousreply 110/27/2012

Rothmans

Craven Menthol

Vantage Ultra Lights

Putter's Lights

by Anonymousreply 210/27/2012

Capri Menthol Ultra Lights ... it always started a conversation with guys at the bar. How I miss them ... sigh, cough, cough, cough.

by Anonymousreply 310/27/2012

Started smoking around 2005 with Marlboro lights, switched to Mayfair Menthol in 2010, i find these smooth ..

by Anonymousreply 410/27/2012

From 1976 - 2012 (I quit a number of times in between, longest for 6 years).

Kool

Benson & Hedges Menthol

Benson & Hedges Menthol Lights

Benson & Hedges Menthol Ultra-Lights

Nat Sherman Natural Menthol

I quit (for the last time!) 8 months ago. Still miss those Nat Shermans a little but but not the expense or the coughing.

by Anonymousreply 610/27/2012

Oops! That should read "switched off between" not "swithed off between".

by Anonymousreply 710/27/2012

I started in 1988, the year I turned 21 and started going out to bars and clubs, with YSL (remember those?!), menthols (I naively thought they'd smell less horrible). Soon I switched to Marlboro Lights and didn't smoke anything else until I quit in 2002.

by Anonymousreply 810/27/2012

Salem

Players Navy Cut or Craven Menthol when I lived in Ontario

Salem Ultra-Light 100s

Merit Ultra Light 100s

by Anonymousreply 910/27/2012

Sterling Menthol Silk Cut Van Nelle Drum Mild

I quit 18 months ago and I miss it every day.

by Anonymousreply 1010/27/2012

To this day, I can still conjure up the taste of Parliament in my mouth if I concentrate. Damn those thing were like crack cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 1108/12/2013

Camel Lights, Marlboro Reds, Marlboro Lights, Trues.

I loved smoking. But I quit 10 years ago and don't miss it at all anymore, thank heavens.

by Anonymousreply 1208/12/2013

Merit Ultra Lights became Camel Lights became Marlboro Lights became American Spirit Lights became Gauloises Blondes (in Europe) or Marlboro Lights (in the US).

Finally quit this year. Slightly fatter but feel better.

by Anonymousreply 1308/12/2013

A cousin of mine smoked Carltons, and I would occasionally bum one if I was desperate enough. Those things were like smoking rolled-up toilet paper, they were so low in tar and nicotine.

My fave was Parliaments - delicious smokes. I've noticed that Parliaments are extremely popular with gay men.

I could never stand menthols and didn't know how anyone could smoke them.

by Anonymousreply 1408/12/2013

Started on Taryetons then went on to Marlboro's Red, Kools then back to Marlboro's Red. Quit 14 years ago....I still miss it at times.

by Anonymousreply 1508/12/2013

I never had a preference sin ce I didn't want to be marketed to that way. Thought it would cement the addiction.

That changed in 1998, when Pall Mall Filters came out, priced like generics, and still substantially cheaper than other brands.

When they approached $4.00 a pck, I quit cold turkey, three years ago, and have not had a single cigarette since.

I wonder if the OP has any connection to the industry.

by Anonymousreply 1608/12/2013

Camel Lights, Marlboro Lights, Parliament Lights. Gauloise Blondes and Luck Strikes when on vacation in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 1708/12/2013

When quite about six years ago, I was smoking Merit Ultralights. I generally don't miss it much at all anymore though a thread like this causes that old itch.

by Anonymousreply 1808/12/2013

From 1983 to 1988, Winston 100's. And boy did I notice just how fat I got when I stopped smoking!

by Anonymousreply 1908/12/2013

I smoked Lemon Twists when I was in junior high school back in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 2008/12/2013

Started on cowboy killers (Marlboro). I then liked to roll my own. Haven't smoked in many years and occasionally miss it when I have a drink.

by Anonymousreply 2108/12/2013

This is such a White Belt Man thread

I see he's been around today, starting his list threads.

by Anonymousreply 2208/12/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2508/12/2013

If he's nutso, they keep him complacent, R23.

The ritual and vitamin N keep calm people down; it's why we say we "need" a cigarette.

I went from Marlboro lights to reds for 20 years.

Then I switched to generic when they hit $5 per pack.

Then I switched to a pipe because it's supposed to be a step down.

I've been inhaling pipe smoke for the last three years.

Pluses: no butts, people find the smell pleasant, I don't smoke as much.

Minuses: I cough more and my taste buds are duller than before.

by Anonymousreply 2608/12/2013

Age 18: Marlboro Reds, Age 19: Gauloise Blondes, Age 24: Sherman MCDs and Parliament Lights.

by Anonymousreply 2708/12/2013

1975 to 1979 Parliament

1979 to 1987 Winston Lights

1987 to 1992 Marlboro Lights

1992 to 1996 Virginia Slims Lights

1996 to present Nicotine gum

by Anonymousreply 3008/12/2013

Bensen and Hedges Ultra-Lights.. I smoked for 14 years and quit 7 years ago cold turkey.

by Anonymousreply 3108/12/2013

I started smoking menthols when I was 15. Around 20 I moved onto Silk Cut. In my late 20s I started rolling my own and did so until I quit 3 years ago. I smoked Drum Mild. I now vape but it really isn't the same. I miss my beloved cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 3308/12/2013

Started smoking camels in college. Switched over to American Spirits and then I couldn't smoke anything else (once you get used to "natural" cigs most of the big brands start tasting more chemically to you)

Now I have been strictly ecig for the last 6 months. I had quit for periods before but I always wanted a cig and would break down when I was drunk and saw people smoking. Ecigs have been a godsend personally, I prefer them to cigs and never missed smoking after the first week or two.

by Anonymousreply 3408/12/2013

When I could afford them I got Sobranie cocktail cigarettes (in lovely pastel colors--very gay) or Sobranie Black Russians which I think were actually dark brown but had gold filters. When I got a job in a tobacco store I was thrilled because we were allowed to smoke on the job. If we were out of Sobranies, I'd get Dunhill. I think they were made by the same company, possibly the Rothmans brand listed up thread.

But for most of my smoking career, I smoked whatever was cheapest. And luckily I quit decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 3508/12/2013

My 84 year-old grandmother smokes, and she still smokes the old-timey Pall Malls with no filters. When I smoked, I would bum one from her sometimes and it was like smoking 3 Marlboro Reds at the same time.

How that woman is still living is a medical mystery. Everybody in the family gave up telling her to quit years ago. We figure if she's made it this long, she might as well light up whenever she feels like it.

by Anonymousreply 3608/12/2013

My aunt died at age 90. She quit smoking at 89.

by Anonymousreply 3808/12/2013

Benson & Hedges Ultra Light 100's Menthol. And for you non-smokers, yes that's exactly what you had to ask for... Benson & Hedges Ultra Light 100's Menthol because there would be so many different versions.

Never understood why anyone would buy Regulars over 100's because it was the same price but you'd get a longer cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 3908/12/2013

Winston Select, don't now if they even make them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4008/12/2013

at 19 yrs I began with Carlton during weekend nights at gay bars, 1996, Rio, Brazil.

one year later I switch up to red Malboro for 2 years. However, it was too strong and used to make me more anxious because it get over so fast.

then, from 2000 to 2008 elected Free as my pocket friend until quit.

good times, specially when I used to be drove by sensuality and flirting.

by Anonymousreply 4108/12/2013

John Player Specials was the first pack of cigarettes I ever bought. I was a 17 year old American spending the summer in London and thought the black pack with the gold JPS logo was so swanky looking.

I smoked B&H Ultra Light 100s for the first couple of years then switched to Marlboro Lights and finally Marlboro Ultra Lights. I never smoked except when drinking, basically. Finally stopped 3 or 4 years ago.

Is Parliament a NY thing? I don't live there but the only people I know who smoked those were from the city.

by Anonymousreply 4208/12/2013

r42, Parliament is extremely popular in NYC and the Northeast in general. It seems to be the most popular brand after Marlboro Lights. Parliament is not all that popular in other parts of the country. I have no idea why.

I used to smoke Parliaments, and when I was on the West Coast people actually asked me if I was from the East Coast when they saw my pack. It was the damndest thing.

by Anonymousreply 4308/12/2013

My all time favorite cigarette is Players Menthol. I enjoyed the smooth taste and loved the elegant packaging. This was back in the 1980s when I started to hit the bars. I have since quit and I don't miss smoking, but I have fond memories of Players cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 4408/12/2013

American Spirit - Organic!

WHY? they were hard to find and if I couldn't find them, I couldn't smoke. it was a way of restricting my habit.

by Anonymousreply 4608/13/2013

Camel Lights Marlboro lights Kool Milds

by Anonymousreply 4708/13/2013

Started out briefly with Marlboro Lights, then switched to Camel Turkish Gold. The first six months I was smoking was when Camel came out with all of their limited edition flavors in 2000/2001. I was smoking Turkish Jade, Izmir Stinger, Dark Mint, Mandarin Mint. They were heavenly, and I loved the tins they came in. Then I was primarily smoking Turkish Gold and Turkish Jade. Got poor after 9/11 and switched to the cheaper Dorals, at one point we were so poor my bf and I bought a pack of Double Diamonds (the cheapest of the cheap). Stayed with Turkish Gold & Turkish Jade until I quit several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4808/13/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4910/26/2013

I find Virginia Slims accessorize one's caftan quite nicely, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 5010/26/2013

Du Maurier!! (In Canada). There was another Canadian brand that I would switch off between. Oh, to be 20 years old again and so "disillusioned." I think I started smoking in direct response to some straight guy I was fooling around with kinda telling me it was over.

by Anonymousreply 5110/26/2013

Marlboro Lights. Which I understand are now called Marlboro Gold.

I quit five years ago - and I can honestly say I'v missed each and everyone since quitting.

by Anonymousreply 5210/26/2013

Fuck I'm old...

Salem's in high school,

then Merits

Then Parliments...

Finally those Native American ones... they are the tastiest.

by Anonymousreply 5310/26/2013

I ONLY smoked American spirit organic. They went stale and the tobacco fell out like in "1984" but I only allowed myself to get those, it made it harder to smoke.

by Anonymousreply 5410/26/2013

Started on Kent's at age 12. Loved smoking old time brands: Larks, Tarytons, Camel Straights, Pall Malls, smoked Winstons in college. Did the menthol thing with Kools/Newports/Alpines/Salems/Salem Lights. Marlborough, Merits, Camel Filters, Du Mauriers, Carrols in Ireland, Gauloises, Sobranies, and my absolute favorites, Export A green box. Quit at 34, 19 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5510/26/2013

Camel bullets, Camel Lights, Camel Red Lights, Parliaments.

by Anonymousreply 5610/26/2013

Raleigh (don't ask)/Newport/Winston/Marlboro in the box (for that agreeable cancerous clutch at the throat)/True (vile)/Marlboro Lights/Camel Lights/Merit

by Anonymousreply 5710/26/2013

Lucky Strike.

by Anonymousreply 5810/26/2013

More 100s

by Anonymousreply 5910/26/2013

R8 I also smoked YSL brand back in the day. I guess they seemed glamorous. Later it was Benson & Hedges Delue Ultra Lights.

by Anonymousreply 6010/26/2013

I was never really brand identified which is odd being I was a professional smoker. I puffed my way through 39 years before giving up the habit 3 years ago. I loved each and everyone of those cigarettes. I would be back in a minute if they had a health cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 6110/26/2013

American Spirit lights. I started smoking them when they came out. I started smoking abroad, where there aren't that many additives, so it was a shock to try Marlboros, which to me, tasted like dirt (and Marlboro Lights tasted like metallic dirt). I used to smoke English cigarettes as a teen (B&H) and American Spirits tasted the most normal to me.

I'm so glad I quit! I wasn't even planning on. I tried electronic cigarettes for the second time and it worked. I just stopped one day. And shortly after, I stopped smoking electronic cigarettes because, frankly, once you're over the hump, they're useless.

by Anonymousreply 6210/26/2013

I'm always surprised at the number of otherwise intelligent, educated, and healthy young people who smoke. I can understand people who are addicted to it because they started back before the health risks became known, or even before it became socially unacceptable, but there's really no excuse for starting to smoke these days.

by Anonymousreply 6310/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 6410/26/2013

R64 You sound like me. Quitting was complete torture and I swore I would only do it once. I couldn't believe how hard it was and for so long. It was unrelenting.

by Anonymousreply 6510/26/2013

Parliaments

Benson and Hedges

Kent Golden Lights

Basics

and finally Pall Malls.

E-cigarette user now. Just spent $100 for my next years supply of equipment and juice. Last year I spent $1800 on cigs.

by Anonymousreply 6610/26/2013

Cigarettes are taxed to death these days.

In my state, they raised the tobacco tax so much that they cut off a significant revenue stream for the state.

Naturally legislators did not raise the liquor tax because their masters, the lobbyists working the Legislature, depend too much on cheap liquor to make their jobs easier.

Smoking name brand cigarettes is rapidly becoming a rich person's folly.

by Anonymousreply 6710/26/2013

[quote] I find Virginia Slims accessorize one's caftan quite nicely, don't you?

But the flowers on the filter of Eve 120's really accentuate my earrings, n'est-ce pas?

by Anonymousreply 6810/26/2013

Started on Salem at age 15 and transitioned to Marlboro Light in my 20's. Quit by 30ish.

by Anonymousreply 6910/26/2013

FOr those of you contemplating relapsing with cigs based on fond memories found in this thread, please remember that you will SMELL LIKE SHIT after you smoke and everyone will be disgusted/made ill by the stench of the cigs clinging to you. Plus you will feel like complete shit when you wake up in the morning, worse than any hangover.

by Anonymousreply 7010/26/2013

R70, Are you sure that was just a cigarette you tried?

by Anonymousreply 7110/27/2013

Export A then Players Light.

by Anonymousreply 7210/27/2013

I smoked Salem in college, after that I usually smoked Marlboro Lights until I quit in 2002.

by Anonymousreply 7310/27/2013

[quote]I'm always surprised at the number of otherwise intelligent, educated, and healthy young people who smoke. I can understand people who are addicted to it because they started back before the health risks became known, or even before it became socially unacceptable, but there's really no excuse for starting to smoke these days.

I started in 1983, 20+ years after the surgeon general's report. But I was 14 and stupid, and surrounded by smokers. I thought the cool kids would like me. I thought that until I got to high school, but by then I was hooked. And I stayed hooked for almost 30 years until I quit 10 months ago. I probably tried to quit a hundred times, starting in my early twenties, but this time was different and I know I'm done. I'll never smoke again, thank god, because it was the hardest thing ever to quit.

by Anonymousreply 7410/27/2013

Dunhill Reds and Blues. Someone(a fellow smoker) joking told me that I'd have lung cancer with a British accent then I began to quit!

by Anonymousreply 7510/27/2013

I LOVED it and smoked from the age of 13 to 30.

B&H Ultra Lights -> Merit Ultra Lights -> but my favorite was Parlaiment.

I miss it at times but am glad I don't smoke anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7610/27/2013

I used to smoke Silk Cut. Because I think Maurice, from the eponymous movie, used to smoke that brand and I loved the movie. It's good that characters now smoke much less on screen and when they so do, at least they don't placate you with the brand. I stopped smoking after two years.

by Anonymousreply 7710/27/2013

Forget the smoking.. you don't need it. The consequences outweigh the pleaure.

by Anonymousreply 7810/27/2013

I quit smoking 11 years ago but even today, when I walk by someone with a cigarette, it still smells good to me. I don't know how anyone an afford to smoke today, here in NY cigarettes are about $15.00 a pack.

by Anonymousreply 7910/27/2013

I live near an Indian reservation and cigs are about $25-35 a carton. We buy them for my husband's schizo brother who lives with his parents. The Indians aren't allowed to sell name brands anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8010/27/2013

Very happy, r81.

I think it's positively fucking GREAT that I can twist up your panties in such a wad just by making an innocuous post on an anonymous message board.

You are a real pip, you know that?

by Anonymousreply 8210/27/2013

Most former cigarette smokers are dead.

by Anonymousreply 8310/27/2013

OP/R81: What does the anonymity of the message board have to do with anything, you pathetic fool? And what the hell is the point of an idiotic, irresponsible post about what brand of cancer sticks were preferred by former cigarette smokers?

by Anonymousreply 8410/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 8510/27/2013

Once smoking becomes fashionable again I plan to buy a pack of Lucky Strikes.

by Anonymousreply 8610/27/2013

[quote]but there's really no excuse for starting to smoke these days.

Hmm, do you judge everyone who is obese the same way also?

It is always weird to me how much passionate hatred some people have toward smoking but not towards any other unhealthy choice.

by Anonymousreply 8710/27/2013

Djarum Blacks

by Anonymousreply 8810/27/2013

I started with Herbert Tareyton cigarettes then switched to smoking a pipe and the tobacco brand Black Knight which was not packaged, but came in a light green covered tin with dark black lettering. I stopped smoking about 19 years ago. Have you seen the prices of a carton of cigarettes?

by Anonymousreply 8910/27/2013

I smoke Kool.

I plan on smoking my last cigarette on New Year's Eve.

This time, I mean it.

by Anonymousreply 9010/27/2013

Marlboro Lights... the best. I miss them.

by Anonymousreply 9110/27/2013

R81 / r84

This thread seems to be a crowd pleaser, so go away, you miserable scold.

Fuck you dead.

by Anonymousreply 9210/27/2013

I really recommend ecigs R90, a real one, not the gas station variety. It is a easy way to quit smoking and it is a good way to lessen the temptation to go back because you will learn to prefer the ecig to actually smoking. Can't recommend them enough.

by Anonymousreply 9310/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 9410/27/2013

Thanks, r93.

by Anonymousreply 9510/27/2013

Smoking is the gift from the gods.

by Anonymousreply 9710/27/2013

I loved smoking. I loved going out to a bar and having a cigarette. I loved waking up in the morning and having a cup of coffee and a cigarette. I loved having a meal and then--yes--a cigarette.

It was a beautiful romance I had with my cigarettes. But like all great loves, it had to come to an end. I realized this when I was in my 20s and I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without gasping for breath.

by Anonymousreply 9810/27/2013

Cigarettes are your free-ins … but they often turn on you in the end (but NOT always.)

by Anonymousreply 9910/27/2013

It was a enjoyable relaxation to go and have a smoke break, just a nice ritual that feels good. Like the other person mentioned nothing beats the feeling of a cig with coffee in the morning or a cig when you are buzzed after a few drinks.

Plus the actual effects of nicotine are nice, it causes a release of adrenaline, increases your basal metabolic rate, and releases stored glucose into your blood which have all effects people enjoy from smoking.

And of course it is addictive, so once you become used to smoking you very much look forward to and want to smoke because that is how addiction works.

by Anonymousreply 10010/27/2013

I started smoking at 17 & quit for good at 58 (after a 3 year hiatus when I was 26-29) -- so that's 38 years? I tried Salem, Newport, Parliament, Kent, & Winston the first couple of years, then settled on Marlboro reds for the duration.

I quit almost 9 years ago & no longer miss it. At this point, if it didn't kill me, it would bankrupt me.

by Anonymousreply 10210/27/2013

Marlboro Reds, the first go round. Ah, youth!

Parliament, the second.

If I live to 85 I am starting again!

by Anonymousreply 10310/27/2013

Lucky Strikes then Winston.

Quit 18 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 10410/27/2013

Smoking and shoplifting are the two things I enjoy most. I gave up the first but not the second.

by Anonymousreply 10511/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 10611/27/2013

Try quitting booze, amateurs.

by Anonymousreply 10711/27/2013

I ran into the back of a mini-van while drunk one stormy night, disabling both vehicles. For whatever reason nobody got hurt and it was before drunk driving was considered a terrible thing. I got off pretty easily in court. Something like a 35 dollar fine for "reckless lane changing" and not even a mention of alcohol being a factor. When I walked out of that courthouse, I was a non drinker and have been dry ever since 1980. Believe me it was easy to give up drinking when I was told there were 4 little kids in that van.

I quit smoking twice as an adult. This last time since 2006. I loved it! I loved every inhale and exhale of smoke. But, my throat "whistled" at night, sometimes in harmony. I was spending an enormous amount of money on smoking and after a while I didn't want to spend any more. I started smoking when they were 35 cents a pack so you know that was a long ass time ago.

Alcohol and tobacco free life. Like someone else said above, maybe I'll start smoking again when I'm 80. I miss it.

by Anonymousreply 10811/27/2013

Had my first cigarette, a Marlboro Light, when I was fifteen. Smoked, off and on, for nearly twenty five years. My favorite brands were Marlboro Lights Or Winston Lights. I finally quit smoking nearly four years ago, and do not miss it.

by Anonymousreply 11111/28/2013

Salem Light 100s

by Anonymousreply 11211/29/2013

Started with Swisher Sweets cigars. Moved to More 120s because I liked the long, brown sticks. Then smoked Marlboro Reds and then Marlboro Lights before switching to Camel lights. I tried to smoke Camel filterless but that didn't last. Finished up with Winston Reds, three packs a day. I came down with the flu and stopped smoking.

by Anonymousreply 11311/30/2013

Marlboro. Kool. Kool Light. Doral Menthol. 1 - 2 packs a day. 10 years of this, and then...quit.

by Anonymousreply 11411/30/2013

by Anonymousreply 11511/30/2013

I started smoking my freshman year in college around 18, was about the same time I started hooking up with men, yes I'm gay, but very straight acting. I noticed alot of gay men smoked Benson & Hedges, I would bum them off of guys to start a conversation, It worked really well. Started smoking them reguarly. I've had quite a few men at straite bars hit on me and ask me about why I smoked a "gay" cigarette. 15 years later, I'll still smoke one when I drink but quite about 5 years ago, def miss my faggy B*H's

by Anonymousreply 11612/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 11712/10/2013

[quote] yes I'm gay, but very straight acting.

You have some serious issues. The fact that you feel the need to make that statement, especially in a post on a completely unrelated topic speaks volumes. I'd recommend you think about that.

by Anonymousreply 11812/10/2013

R118 He probably dresses up as a female alter ego and gets into a threesome as a tranny.The comment about the faggy B and Hs was very weird.A so-called straight guy is hitting on you in a straight bar and calls yours fags, faggy....well color me speechless!

by Anonymousreply 11912/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 12007/26/2014

I've wondered what band of cigarettes were preferred by Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Many historical pictures of him smoking, often with a jaunty cigarette holder.

Camel? Philip Morris? Lucky Strike? Old Gold?

Does any DLer know FDR's brand of smokes?

by Anonymousreply 12107/26/2014

by Anonymousreply 12207/26/2014

I smoked contraband native cigarettes for a while

by Anonymousreply 12307/26/2014

In the US - Virginia Slims, when I run out while traveling - anything - Foreign cigarettes are vile.

Quit on Jan 1st - don't miss them.

by Anonymousreply 12407/26/2014

Pall Malls

by Anonymousreply 12507/26/2014

I smoked for 20 years. When I first started smoking I smoked Marlboro reds. Then I began to switch back and forth between Marlboro reds and Newports. Back then a pack of cigs lasted me well over a week. When I got addicted I switched to Marlboro lights. When money became an issue I smoked the cheapest brands, GPC, Basic, and then for years I was so poor I could only smoke Ace cigarettes, which was the cheapest of the cheap and probably illegal as they kept it under the counter and not on display. The last year or so I smoked I had more money and returned to Marlboro lights. I smoked them until I transitioned to e-cigs almost two years ago. I will never smoke again. E-cigs completely satisfy me and I feel far healthier now. I feel that my life has been spared certain death from smoking-related diseases.

by Anonymousreply 12608/14/2014

by Anonymousreply 12708/14/2014

Started smoking Marlboro red in 9th grade because I had a crush on a classmate and one day he asked me if I wanted to have a cigarette after school (he could've asked if I wanted to drown puppies and would've said yes, just to be near him).

He moved away but I kept smoking, switching to unfiltered Chesterfield because Lucy smoked them, then unfiltered Camels because I liked the taste better.

My first week of college (1975) I met the guy who would be my first boyfriend. He asked me not to smoke so I quit and never picked up another one, even after we broke up 11 years later.

So I stared smoking because of a hot guy and quit because of another hot guy.

by Anonymousreply 12808/14/2014

R90:

[quote] I plan on smoking my last cigarette on New Year's Eve. This time, I mean it.

R90, did you quit, and did it stick? It's very hard, so no shame if it didn't stick. I tried to quit, perhaps a hundred times. Finally, I did so. It'll be 9 years in October.

R96:

[quote] Can you smokers explain to me what about smoking made it so addictive for you?

At first, I'd get a little "high" from a cigarette. Nicotine is addictive, so eventually, I didn't feel complete without a cigarette, though the "high" dissipated. It was great to smoke when stressed, and also between activities - like a segway. In later years, I would bond with other smokers huddled outside of a non-smoking building.

I used every resource available to me when I quit. It was tough, I craved cigs every second for a year, after which, the cravings stopped. I am grateful that I no longer crave cigs. I'd rank quitting as perhaps my first or second major life accomplishments, along with getting my Bachelors of Engineering Degree, which was tough, too.

by Anonymousreply 12908/14/2014

[quote] Can you smokers explain to me what about smoking made it so addictive for you?

The raging hard-on I got the first time Keith Norris used took my hand and lit his cigarette using mine. An electric charge went through my 15 year-old body like nothing I felt before. I smoked to be near him, to look like him, to emulate him in every way.

by Anonymousreply 13008/14/2014
Need more help? Click Here.