Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Julia Roberts acts like a Diva on the set of 'August Osage County' - But Meryl is all cool

I am not the Meryl Streep Troll, but you have to admit that she is all class, all the way.

by Anonymousreply 10409/25/2013

Well, everyone knows Julia is queen of the cunts and should act accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 110/26/2012

I'm sort of sick of this "Meryl is jest regular folks" schtick.

by Anonymousreply 210/26/2012

Julia, you are NO Meryl Streep...get over it!

by Anonymousreply 310/26/2012

Julia looks pretty good, though a bit heavier.

by Anonymousreply 410/27/2012

Well, I am on the set and this did not happen!

Such stupid gossip.

by Anonymousreply 510/27/2012

Roberts is the bigger star than Streep and has a more successful track record of hit movies. There was a time in the 90s where each of her films grossed over a $100 million domestically. So Roberts has the clout to be demanding because she's one of Hollywood's most successful film actresses of all time.

Plus, "Pretty Women" is considered a classic film, something that Streep lacks in her pitiful filmography.

by Anonymousreply 610/27/2012

[quote]Plus, "Pretty Women" is considered a classic film, something that Streep lacks in her pitiful filmography.

Cut The Streep Troll to arrive with some labored defense, based largely on the fabricated timelessness of "Sophie's Choice" and "It's Complicated."

by Anonymousreply 710/27/2012

[quote]Plus, "Pretty Women" is considered a classic film, something that Streep lacks in her pitiful filmography.

It's always entertaining when toothless meth-heads weigh in on the art of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 810/27/2012

Assuming you actually are, r5, you might not have witnessed it.

The article sounds overblown, but other insiders have been here over the years and claimed Roberts was a nasty cunt, especially when she knew she could get away with it (i.e. on a closed set).

by Anonymousreply 910/27/2012

"Plus, "Pretty Women" is considered a classic film, something that Streep lacks in her pitiful filmography."

Streep had collected awards in movies that were to become classics when Julia had second billing to Justine Bateman.

by Anonymousreply 1010/27/2012

Roberts is a HORRIBLE cunt to any person who isn't a celebrity male she wants to sleep with.

She is a pretentious twit who thinks using "big" words makes her seem educated. She isn't -- and doesn't sound that way.

by Anonymousreply 1110/27/2012

Still want to know why George Clooney thought that she had enough name recognition left to hire her over more talented and appreciative actresses.

by Anonymousreply 1210/27/2012

Roberts IS a Hollywood legend. That's a fact! Her track record is at her peak was incredible.

Erin Brockovich - $126M

Runaway Bride - $152M

Notting Hill - $116M

Stepmom - $91M

My Best Friend's Wedding - $127M

The Pelican Brief - $101M

Sleeping with the Enemy - $102M

Pretty Woman - $178M

Roberts is simply on another level. Streep may have more Oscars, but the big wigs in Hollywood know who made more money for them when comparing the two, so they cater to her demands.

by Anonymousreply 1310/27/2012

[quote]Still want to know why George Clooney thought that she had enough name recognition left to hire her over more talented and appreciative actresses.

She was hired before Clooney came on as a producer. The movie is low budget and the cast is getting a fraction of what they normally command. The story sounds like BS.

by Anonymousreply 1410/27/2012

R13, what have you been smoking?

by Anonymousreply 1510/27/2012

famous people and rank and file work with Fiona Lovett Moder aka Julia Roberts is a major cunt but is necessary as it is necessary to pass gas aka fart.

and you would be bitchy and pretentious too if you had herpes, allegedly.

by Anonymousreply 1610/27/2012

Julia is a good and talented actres, but she's not in the same league as Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, and Sandra Bullock... and shouldn't even be spoken in the same breath as Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 1710/27/2012

[quote]Roberts is simply on another level. Streep may have more Oscars, but the big wigs in Hollywood know who made more money for them when comparing the two, so they cater to her demands.

This is complete bullshit. The ONLY thing Roberts had over Streep was that she was considered prettier, but she is OLD now and not pretty.

Streep is not young but is considered a bankable talent.

by Anonymousreply 1810/27/2012

[quote]This is complete bullshit. The ONLY thing Roberts had over Streep was that she was considered prettier, but she is OLD now and not pretty.

Roberts has always appealed more to women than to men. I doubt they care that she's getting old.

by Anonymousreply 1910/27/2012

Julia's looks started going down quickly when she was in her early 30s.

by Anonymousreply 2010/27/2012

I never understood why Roberts was considered beautiful. She certainly couldn't be called exotic-looking. Sure, she has cheekbones and a huge smile, but that's not enough to make someone beautiful.

And I think she's lost a lot of her female fan base after her indiscreet and tacky grab for a married man whose wife didn't want a divorce (the A lo Vera t-shirt, Vera being the name of the ex) I used to work with one such woman. she was in her fifties (and very attractive herself) who loved, loved, LOVED her to bits. She'd rave about her like she would one of her own daughters. After this incident, Julia was dead to her.

by Anonymousreply 2110/27/2012

Julia did have the most successful box office run for a female star maybe ever. I'll give her that. But she's a lightweight actress. And a bitch. And she's been over for almost a decade.

by Anonymousreply 2210/27/2012

R21 - She really was beautiful for a few years during Mystic Pizza to Pretty Woman and The Pelican Brief. The large smile and the mane of hair helped. Then she got skinny and cut her hair. Smoking and drugs also hurt.

by Anonymousreply 2310/27/2012

Why does anyone consider Roberts to be pretty? She's not now and never was pretty. What an entitled bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2410/27/2012

I love how r6 calls Meryl's filmography 'pitiful', and then, at r13, shows us Julia's nightmarish filmography.

Are you serious, r6?

Meryl's weakest films are better than 'Sleeping With the Enemy' and 'Runaway Bride'.

And 'Pretty Woman' is not a classic film by any stretch of the imagination. Of that period, 'Silence of the Lambs' would be classic, or 'Good Fellas', or 'Working Girl'.

'Pretty Woman' is a joke, and only remembered for making Roberts a star.

Finally, Meryl's combined box office mops the floor with Julia's. 'Pretty Woman' made 463 worldwide. Well, 'Mamma Mia' raked in 609 million worldwide, 'Prada' 326 million, and 'Out of Africa' 128 million. That's a cool ONE BILLION dollars with... three films alone.

Meryl is a more enduring star than Roberts, a bigger box office success, an icon, and the ultimate word on screen acting.

Roberts... not so much.

You know it, I know it.

by Anonymousreply 2510/27/2012

r17, Sandra Bullock does not belong in a group with Kate Winslet and Jodie Foster.

Please.

She's above Roberts, but certainly below those two.

by Anonymousreply 2610/27/2012

Out of curiosity, whom else does The Streep Troll (tm) have respect for?

Anyone even on a par with St. Meryl?

by Anonymousreply 2710/27/2012

[quote] Meryl is a more enduring star than Roberts, a bigger box office success, an icon, and the ultimate word on screen acting.

To quote Lady Romney: "Stop it!"

Robert's box office receipts worldwide is unmatched (only Sandra Bullock rivals Roberts' worldwide grosses).

Pretty Woman - $463.4

Notting Hill - $363.9

Runaway Bride - $309.5

My Best Friend's Wedding - $299.3

Erin Brockovich - $256.3

The Pelican Brief - $195.3

Sleeping with the Enemy - $175.0

Stepmom - $159.7

The Mexican - $147.8 t

That's not even adding Conspiracy Theory, America's Sweethearts, Mona Lisa Smile, .etc, all grossing over $100 million worldwide.

So, no, Streep has NEVER been in the same league as Roberts if we're comparing whose movies grossed the most. You're on safer grounds when you talk about who's the better actress.

Roberts dominated the 90s with her romantic comedies. Streep only became a box office success in the 2000s, and even there she didn't have a string of hits in a row like Roberts.

Hollywood is well aware of who made the most money for them out the two. That's why she's treated like Hollywood royalty. Just live with it.

by Anonymousreply 2810/27/2012

[quote] Robert's box office receipts worldwide is unmatched (only Sandra Bullock rivals Roberts' worldwide grosses).

*Roberts' box office receipts worldwide are unmatched*

by Anonymousreply 2910/27/2012

Lets compare head to head

# movies Streep : 46 Roberts: 38 t

total gross Streep : $1,763.5 Roberts: $2,603.9

Julia has almost a billion more in total gross despite having made fewer movies. t average gross Streep : $38.3 Roberts: $68.5 t

As you would expect Julia's average gross is higher .. by almost 80%.

Anyone who says Streep is a bigger box office success is clearly lying.

by Anonymousreply 3010/27/2012

claiming Pretty Woman is a classic reminds me of the MadTV parody of HSN - clothes for fat women

"you'll look beautiful in this when you're home Saturday night with your date Ben & Jerry"

by Anonymousreply 3110/27/2012

Julia was so pretty and effervescent in her early movies. The camera loved her. Now she just looks mean and unhappy all the time.

Wonder what happened. is this a case of getting the face one deserves?

by Anonymousreply 3210/27/2012

Is that JR's belly-button traced on that oh-too-tight-against-her-belly gray suit on the second photo?

She can have three laparoscopies at the same time!

by Anonymousreply 3310/27/2012

The world will never forget Meryl's brilliance in It's Complicated, Iron Lady, and Mamma Mia!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3410/27/2012

Julia Roberts is a no-talent celebrity who mugs her way through high budget movies. The fact that people buy lots of tickets to see her movies is a comment on the paucity of decent film fare in most communities in the US.

by Anonymousreply 3510/27/2012

r28: Julia Roberts has never had a hit movie of the magnitude of Mamma Mia.

Just live with it.

Streep is a higly bankable star in her *mid sixties*, while Roberts has had flop after flop for years now. She only pops up in films like Osage County because of remaining star power overseas.

She's a has-been overall, and box office POISON in her own vehicles.

That, my friend, is the truth. And you will have to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 3610/27/2012

r34: Streep's performance in 'Iron Lady' was highly impressive, and rightly got her a third Oscar.

Save your bile for the works of Sienna Miller and Jessica Alba.

by Anonymousreply 3710/27/2012

[r20]: Roberts looks great now, her looks haven't gone "downhill".

by Anonymousreply 3810/27/2012

r27, to answer your question:

I have respect for Liv Ullmann, Ingrid Thulin, Vanessa Redgrave, Simone Signoret, Glenn Close, Isabelle Adjani, Miou-Miou, Sandrine Bonnaire, Juliette Binoche, Jodie Foster, Kathy Bates, Sissy Spacek, Judy Davis, Emma Thompson, Cate Blanchett, Marion Cotillard, Naomi Watts.

Isabelle Huppert too, for her trademark icily intellectual characters (i.e. she's very good but limited).

This being said, nobody is as versatile and accomplished as Meryl Streep.

She is peerless. No buts about it.

by Anonymousreply 3910/27/2012

r38, Roberts did have a luminous quality in the beginning, which masked her shortcomings as an actress.

That quality is completely and irretrievably gone these days.

by Anonymousreply 4010/27/2012

[quote]Roberts is the bigger star than Streep

Hmm, maybe in the early to mid 90s, but M has made a huge comeback in the last decade, where Julia's star has faded and the public is over her. M is headlining summer movies as a woman in her 60s, maybe the hardest trick to pull off in Hollywood. Add the acclaim, the Oscars, and living legend status, and I'd say they're at least tied.

by Anonymousreply 4110/27/2012

[quote]Streep has NEVER been in the same league as Roberts if we're comparing whose movies grossed the most.

Please, when it comes to being gross, nobody beats Ghoulia.

by Anonymousreply 4210/27/2012

"Mirror Mirror" or "Citizen Kane"?

Always the same fucking argument! We're tired it.

by Anonymousreply 4310/27/2012

They're not tied these days, r41. Roberts truly is an afterthought now.

Anyway, Roberts never managed a box office intake of ONE BILLION DOLLARS with three (3) films only -- just one of Meryl's many accomplishments.

And films like 'Sophie's Choice' and 'Silkwood' made 30 million domestically. With ticket inflation, Meryl did solid business even back in the day.

Meryl has been financially viable long before Roberts, and long after her.

No way are they tied.

by Anonymousreply 4410/27/2012

I can't stand Roberts as a person, but she was a huge box office draw. People went to see her films because she was in them.

I don't think that is the case as much with Meryl. For example, few people went to see Prada because they have to see Meryl in everything. She was great in the film, but that isn't why people went to see it.

And in many other films she is getting credit for her, she was not the box office draw, a costar was.

by Anonymousreply 4510/27/2012

Except, r45, now Roberts got the job because Meryl was willing to do that film.

She's playing second fiddle to Meryl, not the other way round.

Face it: Prada and Mamma Mia were mega-successful because popular source material met legendary actress. It's that mix that lured people into the cinema.

Prada wouldn't have been that attractive if Helen Mirren or Jessica Lange had played that part.

by Anonymousreply 4610/27/2012

I love the Aspergers trolls on threads like these, who can whip out 20 years' of box-office statistics at a moment's notice. They're also on the music threads, ready to give you the complete Billboard chart history of Madonna's and Janet Jackson's entire catalog from the 1980s to the present in two minutes.

by Anonymousreply 4710/27/2012

r47 - all this data is readily available on boxofficemojo.com.

BTW, I wasn't one of the poster's on this thread until now.

by Anonymousreply 4810/27/2012

R46: I wasn't talking about NOW, when Roberts' star has dimmed.

And, after watching American Horror Story, I'm convinced that Prada would have probably been even better with Jessica Lange.

by Anonymousreply 4910/27/2012

People don't go to see Meryl's films because she's in them, they go to see Meryl's films because she'd made them worth watching.

Roberts isn't that good an actress, but she has (had) real movie-star charisma. She drew your attention, she glowed in a way that made her seem beautiful, the camera loved her huge smile and big brown eyes, etc. She wasn't a actor, she was a STAR!

But now her looks and charisma are going the way of her popularity, and her career is in such a bad way that nothing will sustain it but sheer talent! The fact that Meryl has enough skill to keep going and she doesn't has put her in a hell of a bad mood.

by Anonymousreply 5010/27/2012

I love Jessica Lange, but she really can't pull off sophisticated well. She does white trash very well. I wish she were also in 'August: Osage County.'

by Anonymousreply 5110/27/2012

I think we can finish this debate with one answer : which one does my precious, gorgeous Benny like better?

by Anonymousreply 5210/27/2012

r49, it's not a question of whether Prada would have been better with Lange (it wouldn't have).

I was referring to the mix of "popular source material" meets "legendary actress".

Lange is highly respected, but no legend like Streep. And prior to AHS, she'd been off the scene for almost twenty years.

Meryl, unlike Lange, had kept her name out there, and THAT was one of two reasons that film - as well as Mamma Mia - became a monster hit.

by Anonymousreply 5310/27/2012

Whaat's interesting is that Mike Nichols is good friends with both. I wonder if he and Diane ever had them over for dinner at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 5410/27/2012

Agreed, r50.

I think she's more pissed Bullock has a career, while hers is in the toilet.

No way does she think she could ever compare with Streep, both for talent and current star wattage.

I also agree with r51: Lange is great as damaged, trashy people. She also ALWAYS acts on quaaludes, spaced out.

She would have fallen flat on her face as Miranda Priestly.

Meryl was just perfect for that role.

by Anonymousreply 5510/27/2012

Over 50 comments and no one commented on this:

[quote]diva antics of Julia Roberts, who plays Meryl’s daughter in their new flick...

Say what? That's crazy. Meryls children are in their twenties/early thirties and Julia is in her late 40s.

by Anonymousreply 5610/27/2012

Something tells me that Roberts wouldn't dare give shit to Lange.

by Anonymousreply 5710/27/2012

Roberts is 18 years younger that Streep so it's really not much of a stretch at all to have her play Streep's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 5810/27/2012

"This being said, nobody is as versatile and accomplished as Meryl Streep"

Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Catherine Deneuve, etc. are just a few to spring to mind.

by Anonymousreply 5910/27/2012

I think some of you equate highly emotional with white trash. Lange didn't play white trash in Gray Gardens (though her character literally lived in it).

by Anonymousreply 6010/27/2012

"This being said, nobody is as versatile and accomplished as Meryl Streep"

The first time I saw Binoche in Kiarostami's Certified Copy, I said to myself: I have never seen an actress do this in a film, never.

There are places that some actresses go to (Swinton, Huppert) that Streep can't touch. Streep, who is a wonderful actress, is great at certain things, but not all.

by Anonymousreply 6110/27/2012

Helen Mirren or Judi Dench couldn't have played Sophie, Julia Child or the Carrie Fisher part in Postcards from the Edge.

And Catherine Deneuve as Lindy Chamberlain? Preposterous.

Nobody, absolutely no-one, could have pulled off the many disparate, highly complex characters that Meryl Streep has successfully portrayed on screen.

Meryl, meanwhile, could have played the colonialist lady in Indochine, the Prime Suspect detective, and 'M' in those Bond films.

She is, quite simply, the most versatile actor who has ever worked in film.

by Anonymousreply 6210/27/2012

r61, Swinton, Huppert and Binoch are very good for a specific type of character. Especially Huppert.

They are just not as versatile, as radically different from film to film - even within one particular film - as Streep is.

Again, the idea of Tilda Swinton as Julia Child or the Italian woman in Bridges of Madison Countz is.... just not there.

She can't do those characters.

Meryl can.

And she could have done all of Swinton's great roles: Orlando, the mother in the Deep End, the icy corporatist in Michael Clayton, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6310/27/2012

Streep could not have never played Mirren's part in The Prime Suspect. Streep can do cold determination, but not raw, sensual one.

by Anonymousreply 6410/27/2012

[quote]Roberts is a HORRIBLE cunt to any person who isn't a celebrity male she wants to sleep with.

Which explains her marriage.

by Anonymousreply 6510/27/2012

I disagree, r64.

She was raw in Silkwood and Ironweed, and sensual in Out of Africa, The French Lieutenant's Woman, House of the Spirits, and many more.

She could easily have played the Prime Suspect character.

by Anonymousreply 6610/27/2012

It's easy to go through a list of great performances by other actresses and point out every single one that Streep could not have done as good. But it is also pointless.

Streep could not have done The Piano teacher, or Julia, or Certified Copy, or The war zone.

And Glenda Jackson in "Elizabeth R"... about the best performance ever recorded on film.

The list goes on and on...

But it doesn't prove anything.

No one is above the rest.

All of these actresses have done something that no one else could have done better.

Streep's parts are hardly radically different lately. It seems it's all about finding the right physicality for her characters.

by Anonymousreply 6710/27/2012

She could not have played Mirren's part in The Prime Suspect. She is too cold.

by Anonymousreply 6810/27/2012

Streep is overrated. I love her but she gets way too much acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 6910/27/2012

"She was raw in Silkwood and Ironweed, and sensual in Out of Africa, The French Lieutenant's Woman, House of the Spirits, and many more"

Totally not, she has no sensuality of any kind whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 7010/27/2012

r67, she could have played the Piano Teacher very well.

And Julia? The role played by Jane Fonda?

You've got to be kidding.

by Anonymousreply 7110/27/2012

[quote]I never understood why Roberts was considered beautiful.

As Charles Foster Kane might say: Seabiscuit.

by Anonymousreply 7210/27/2012

Julia Roberts was never beautiful. It was her youth, long legs and slender build that people mistook for beauty.

She has always looked like a fucking horse. Big smile? How about a mouth the size of a pothole?

The woman was lucky. She never had one ounce of talent.

by Anonymousreply 7310/27/2012

I don't think you can categorically say Helen Mirren couldn't do this or Judi Dench couldn't have done that (with the exception of the age of the actress relating to the age of the character. I honestly think Street was lucky she could pass for the lead in Mamma Mia! by the time they made it... she was pushing too old.) That's the gift of a talented actress... they surprise the audience, credibly. They're all so talented.... I wouldn't put anything past anybody.

I wish they'd made a movie of Sunset Blvd. I would have loved to have seen Streep do that.

by Anonymousreply 7410/27/2012

[quote]And Julia? The role played by Jane Fonda?

Meryl played "Ann Marie" in the film "Julia" and Jane Fonda wrote very nicely of her in her autobiography. She actually alerted the studio and told them that she felt that Meryl Streep was the finest actress she had seen since Geraldine Page.

Out side of her theatre work, the only film or t.v. work Meryl did prior to "Julia" was a supporting role in a t.v. movie and a voice over of sorts for a kiddie cartoon.

Did Jane Fonda discover Meryl Streep? No, her past work in theatre cancels that out. But, Jane Fonda spoke very well of her within the film industry and even in her autobiography ages later. That is quite nice, eh?

by Anonymousreply 7510/27/2012

I hope you aren't serious R6.

by Anonymousreply 7610/27/2012

Totally she does, r70.

She is fantastic in House of the Spirits: sensual, lost, volatile, ethereal.

Glenn Close as the repressed sister-in-law.

They are just great together, and I wish they would co-star in another film.

Meryl is also all kinds of sensual in Bridges of Madison County.

Mirren could only dream of being that soft and real. She overacts most of her parts, Prime Suspect being the one exception, but even there she is exchangeable.

Streep, Weaver, Thompson, Sarandon could all have played that character, to equal effect.

by Anonymousreply 7710/27/2012

We've survived the M/Glenn "rivalry," the Kate H. vs. Meryl "rivalry," do we really need a "Meryl vs. Julia" faux-rivalry? Julia made a lot more money in her youth. Few of them will survive over the long run but they made money. "Pretty Woman" survives because stupid women think she's a role model. (Some finalist in Miss USA said it was a film that empowered women.) And it's a great fantasy if you want to do very little and make money.

by Anonymousreply 7810/27/2012

In any case, I fully believe Roberts is an ass in real life. Proof? That "A low Vera" t-shirt. Plus, she's a scorpio.

This being said, I don't believe for a second that anything in OP's article is true.

It's a low budget film, and I doubt they get 'fresh flowers' every day, and other such bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 7910/27/2012

I am not a big Julia Roberts fan, but around the time of Pretty Women she had that certain "it" factor that not everyone has. She was not the prettiest and she was not technically the greatest actress, but she did have a screen presense. There is a reason why she was one of the bigger star of the '90's. That said, I think Meryl is the bigger star at this time.

by Anonymousreply 8010/27/2012

It is, r75. But we don't even know if that's true.

She said all these things in her biography, decades after Streep burst onto the scene.

She clearly positioned herself as Streep's svengali of sorts, and only Meryl can confirm if Fonda really did help her in the beginning.

So far, she's never said anything about that.

Curiously, Fonda was absent when AFI celebrated Streep's career a few years ago. Unlike Keaton, Hawn, MacLaine and many others, who all turned up to give a speech.

by Anonymousreply 8110/27/2012

"Julia made a lot more money in her youth"

Oh, r78. But Meryl has made *a lot more money* in her mid-career than Julia. Who is now box office poison, through and through.

And since it's far more difficult to become a box office darling in your 50s, she easily trumps Julia Robert's monetary accomplishments.

JR has also never carried a 600 million picture.

Meryl wins in every arena.

by Anonymousreply 8210/27/2012

Degree of acting talent aside, Julia made an impression when she appeared on-screen. She was striking with a look perfect for film. She glowed as if lit from within, and possessed charisma in spades. I'd definitely call that a type of beauty. Beauty doesn't necessarily mean possessing perfect, symmetrical features. What a boring definition.

by Anonymousreply 8310/27/2012

She always acted like a spoiled brat. What else is new?

by Anonymousreply 8410/27/2012

I don't understand how people say Streep "couldn't have done" a role when she was equally great in such different films as Sophie, Death Becomes Her, A Cry in the Dark, Adaptation, Angels, etc. IMO she's one of a handful of actors, male and female, who is equally skilled at drama and comedy.

by Anonymousreply 8510/27/2012

I agree Roberts did glow from within. She had star quality. I was never a particular fan but I always got why she had the career she did. She was more of a classic movie star than an actor to me... the camera loved her, even if she wasn't a classic beauty.

by Anonymousreply 8610/27/2012

"Julia Roberts was never beautiful. It was her youth, long legs and slender build that people mistook for beauty. "

As a young woma, she had glowing skin, big brown eyes, tons of thick chestnut hair, a dazzling smile, long legs and a tiny waist, and genuine charisma. With all that, she didn't need perfectly porportioned features.

The thing about aging is that you lose the glowing skin and thick hair, and the imperfect porportions come out. Roberts was very attractive as a young woman, but without the softness of youth, her pointy nose and strong jaw give her a hard, mannish look. And she keeps going blonde, which looks absolutely horrible on her. She needs to stick with brown or chestnutty reds.

by Anonymousreply 8710/27/2012

I think Roberts is aging VERY well. She never was a classic beauty and, like most Americans, she lacks poise and elegance, but her odd features worked on screen. She looked fantastic in "Larry Crowne"; problem is the public doesn't want to accept her as anything but the little princess types she played her in 20s. She did a good job in "Duplicity".

by Anonymousreply 8810/27/2012

Duplicity was one of the worst films I've ever seen but it wasn't the actors fault...maybe the editors fault.

by Anonymousreply 8910/27/2012

"Roberts movies" haven't been "Roberts movies" since Sleeping With the Enemy that starred unknown actors.

Every movie she has been in had many other popular actors and actresses and were considered 'group' projects so that box office would appear big, when in actuality, she wasn't the draw. Think Pelican Brief, Think Conspiracy Theory, Mona Lisa Smile, Notting Hill, etc., etc., etc.

She hasn't been a box office draw since Clinton's first term, but she is smart enough to know not to let that become obvious.

Eat, Pray, Love. That is what happens when you give Roberts a starring vehicle. I would kill to find out the net profit on that piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 9010/27/2012

R87

"The thing about aging is that you lose the glowing skin and thick hair, and the imperfect porportions come out. Roberts was very attractive as a young woman, but without the softness of youth, her pointy nose and strong jaw give her a hard, mannish look. And she keeps going blonde, which looks absolutely horrible on her. She needs to stick with brown or chestnutty reds"

Yes, brown and red (and long!) work better for Julia. She also looks better when she's heavier, which would keep her face fuller and make her nose seem less pointy.

by Anonymousreply 9110/27/2012

Julia Roberts on set for My Best Friend's Wedding was the most arrestingly beautiful woman I had ever seen.

And with the thinnest legs and calves and the largest head.

by Anonymousreply 9210/27/2012

Very cool. Everyone who posted on that link mention the t-shirt and how much they hate JR after that. You can watch the box office drop like a stone from that point forward, and I love that everyone remembered that.

What is Vera up to these days? I hope you got a shit ton of money.

Oh, and I also read that that stress of this national fornication with JR caused the death of Moder's mother.

by Anonymousreply 9310/27/2012

What did Rupert say about her in his book?

by Anonymousreply 9410/27/2012

R92 - Her legs were much heavier even in Pretty Women and especially Mystic Pizza and Satisfaction. I thought the weight loss in MBFW started to take a toll on her face.

by Anonymousreply 9510/27/2012

Ya'll need to leave La Lange out of this messy little debacle.

She's not bothering anyone doing her little TV show on FX.

However, if ever given the chance, she'd completely wipe the fucking floor with these two bitches.

Streep knows this (all too well, regardless of what her "fans" think) and Roberts: LMAO. Let's not even go there.

by Anonymousreply 9611/01/2012

Love this:

[quote] last May, Julia Roberts was promoting Duplicity, the film she did with Clive Owen. She was walking the red carpet for the NYC premiere, stopping and doing press with all of the outlets. When she got to Roger Friedman, then working for Fox News, she “turned cold” according to Friedman. He wrote an online article calling Julia out for being “rude, downright nasty, and dismissive. She snubbed me in front of other people to make her point, and later cut in between me and director Tony Gilroy to make her point. Her behavior was unexpected and chilling.”

[quote]But why did Julia pull such a bitch move? Because, in her bitch-addled mind, Friedman was one of her harshest critics, and he had made nasty comments about her performance on stage in 2006. Except that he didn’t. Friedman pulled his old column and it was full of praise for Julia. So Julia was not only a raging bitch to this guy, she was totally wrong to be mad at him.

by Anonymousreply 9711/01/2012

Julia maybe very talented but she is not nice to people and that is a shame. While she was here filming in Oklahoma she left many with a bad taste in their mouths over her attitude and actions. I have always liked her and was sadly disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 9809/24/2013

Agree!

by Anonymousreply 9909/24/2013

I didn't think she looked that great in Larry Crowne. She was OK, but I just don't like watching her anymore. Sadly, she plays bitchy a little too well. And I thought it was a cute film. I even liked Tom Hanks in it.

by Anonymousreply 10009/24/2013

Meryl Streep can act

Roberts cannot

end of discussion

by Anonymousreply 10109/24/2013

True. Roberts is more of a star and personality. Streep is an actress.

by Anonymousreply 10209/24/2013

All this talk of one being AN ACTRESS and one A STAH!

Are these two the Davis and Crawford de nos jours?

by Anonymousreply 10309/25/2013

There was a BI reveal on Julia on CDAN. She had fired so many assistants that they could no longer find one for her so they brought one of them back but told her that she worked for Oprah but jumped at the chance to come work for Julia. Julia did not recognize she was a girl she fired two weeks ago. Apparently she is such an awful human being to people that no one ever wants to work with her again after doing a movie with her once.

by Anonymousreply 10409/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.