Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

This storm is much worse than anyone is saying

This storm is beyond the storm of the century. Its the storm of the millennium. The Weather Channel admitted that the computers can't even figure it out.

Ask your friends in media what the buzz is behind the scenes and why the alarm hasn't been sounded yet.

by Anonymousreply 38911/08/2012

Why aren't they saying OP?

by Anonymousreply 110/26/2012

Am I going to die?

by Anonymousreply 310/26/2012

They're saying it's going to be horrible because they can't predict how two very different storm fronts are a) going to collide, & b) how they react when and if they do.

Chaotic systems are hard to track because they don't have predictable elements (how they behave within certain temperatures, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 510/26/2012

The storm itself is massive, however it's only a cat 1. As it moves into cooler water it's not going to get stronger.

by Anonymousreply 610/26/2012

Oh, please, OP. That's what they want you to think -- that the storm is going to be THE STORM OF THE CENTURY!!! I lived in coastal Florida for 15 years and had to evacuate my home twice, and the hurricanes never came. So I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 710/26/2012

The wind is going to blow some and there might be cold rain. It is all hype. TV is all about getting ratings.

It is much like the endless tornado warning coverage we have in the midwest.

Weather happens.

by Anonymousreply 810/26/2012

Tim Tebow will save you!!!

by Anonymousreply 910/26/2012

No it's not, r8 because 2 major fronts are involved-one a northern cold weather front, one a hurricane.

It still might end up nothing because the fronts might not collide at all, but the potential is much greater than the usual hurricane advisories.

by Anonymousreply 1010/26/2012

If I'm elected, I'll put an end to all of this bad weather.

by Anonymousreply 1110/26/2012

[quote] Its the storm of the millennium.

Wow, the worst storm in 12 years?

by Anonymousreply 1210/26/2012

Read this

by Anonymousreply 1310/26/2012

[quote]It is much like the endless tornado warning coverage we have in the midwest.

When I lived in the midwest, and not being from there, I was actually glad they continuously covered tornadoes. Sometimes the sky would get so weird-looking and the weather so horrible that I would rather be paranoid and buy the hype. Especially since the midwest does regularly get tornadoes that are no joke.

But since this happened (or didn't happen) last year to the northeast, it's like...idk.

by Anonymousreply 1410/26/2012

So the sky is falling for REAL this time?

by Anonymousreply 1510/26/2012

Isn't it strange that a hurricane in the Bahamas would somehow turn into a monster mega-storm and slam into the Northeast at the end of October? Aren't hurricanes supposed to weaken as they move north over cold water? What the hell is going on?

The answers are... yes, yes, and we're not completely sure. This is a beyond-strange situation. It's unprecedented and bizarre. Hurricanes almost always bend out to sea in October, although there have been some exceptions when storms went due north, but rarely. No October tropical systems in the record book have turned left into the northeast coast.

The strong evidence we have that a significant, maybe historic, storm is going to hit the east coast is that EVERY reliable computer forecast model now says it's going to happen. The only way we can forecast the weather four or five days days from now is with the aid of these super-complex computer programs run on supercomputers. The two best, the European and the U.S. GFS (Global Forecast System) run by NOAA, are now in reasonable agreement that there IS going to be an extraordinarily unusual confluence of events that results in a massive storm.

The upper-air steering pattern that is part of the puzzle is not all that unheard of. It happens when the atmosphere gets blocked over the Atlantic and the flow over the U.S. doubles back on itself. Sometimes big winter storms are involved.

The freak part is that a hurricane happens to be in the right place in the world to get sucked into this doubled-back channel of air and pulled inland from the coast.

And the double-freak part is that the upper level wind, instead of weakening the storm and simply absorbing the moisture - which would be annoying enough - is merging with the tropical system to create a monstrous hybrid vortex. A combination of a hurricane and a nor'easter.

At least that's what the models are saying. And since all of the independent models are saying something similar, we have to believe them and be ready.

For most people being ready means getting to the store and getting stuff before everybody else gets wise and gets the stuff first. The forecast is for an incredibly widespread and long-duration windstorm, meaning power will likely be out for an extended period of time in a lot of locations.

A transistor radio is your best friend in a situation like this. Get one and enough batteries to keep it going. Your cell phone may or may not be your friend after a big storm.

For people near the coast, it's critical that you pay attention to local evacuation orders and emergency information. This storm, as forecast, will create dangerous and potentially life-threatening storm surge along hundreds of miles of coastline north of where the center comes ashore. Big storms move a lot of water, and this one is about as big as they come.

Right now, it looks like the storm center will land between the Delmarva and New Jersey, which would put the entire Tri-State area of NJ, NY, and Connecticut on the bad side of the storm. The Jersey Shore, Long Island, and New York City itself would be exposed to the brunt of the storm surge due to the "L" in the coastline at NYC. The angle and duration of the wind will keep the water high for an extended period of time, if this comes together as forecast. This means transportation disruptions and widespread coastal damage.

If the storm comes in farther south, the Delmarva, Delaware Bay and maybe the Chesapeake will be at risk. A storm the size that's forecast would cause problems throughout New England as well, even if the center is south of New York. And then there is the threat from flooding rain and the extremely heavy snow well inland.

To make all this worse along the coast, the moon is full on Monday, meaning the high tides will be higher yet.

The hope we have is that the computer models are not handling this unusual situation well, and are predicting a stronger storm than we get. But, we can't bet of it. Even a weaker version will likely mean a nightmare for millions.

by Anonymousreply 1610/26/2012

Bla, Bla, Bla. You folks in the East are in a panic because of a little inconvienence. Get over it. Lets hope you get better support than NOLA.

by Anonymousreply 1710/26/2012

and CNN is no longer referring it to Frankenstorm, since they can't trivialize such a major event

by Anonymousreply 1810/26/2012

New Yorkers will be boo-hooing all over the news shows, like they do every winter when it snows. Poor dears.

by Anonymousreply 1910/26/2012

I can hear the ocean's roar at my house.

by Anonymousreply 2010/26/2012

Know a dock master that gave the evacuation order yesterday. The marina is on long island.

by Anonymousreply 2110/26/2012

Oh, that's interesting R20. Has this happened before?

by Anonymousreply 2210/26/2012

Best part R22 is that he lives in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 2310/26/2012

R20 lives in Kansas. You know the storm is powerful.

by Anonymousreply 2510/26/2012

I'm much rather have it take out a couple of republican states.

by Anonymousreply 2610/26/2012

Well sure, r26, but the Gulf Coast isn't in the storm's path.

Didn't everyone already vote in the northeast? They have in most civilized places.

by Anonymousreply 2710/26/2012

What about the children? The Children, The Children?

When does the looting begin?

Will the Federal Government shut down?

What about monday night Football?

THE WORLD IS ENDING!

by Anonymousreply 2810/26/2012

How dare this happen on a Gay Holiday like Halloween!

by Anonymousreply 2910/26/2012

GOD'S PUNISHMENT!! You Faggots!

by Anonymousreply 3010/26/2012

What's happening at Norfolk, Virginia? If the Navy ships are moving out to sea, you know it's serious.

by Anonymousreply 3110/26/2012

What willl happen to all the homeless kitties? R24 is a bad man. A very bad man.

by Anonymousreply 3210/26/2012

I expect this storm to be every bit as exciting and devastating here in NYC as the stupid-ass fake hurricane last August.

by Anonymousreply 3310/26/2012

It is obviously an Al-Qaeda plot against us. The Republicans were right.

by Anonymousreply 3410/26/2012

The Mayans predicted this would happen before the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 3510/26/2012

Do you think the power will go out?

Are you eating all of the food in your fridge?

by Anonymousreply 3610/26/2012

[quote] The storm itself is massive, however it's only a cat 1.

It. Does. Not. Matter. What.Cat. It. Is

It's going to be a massive nor'easter. Wipe "hurricane category" out of your head.

The Perfect Storm was not a hurricane.

Tropical Storm Irene caused massive flooding, trees down and days-long power outages last year.

Tropical Storm Floyd caused massive flooding up and down the east coast and inland.

Nor'easters and former hurricanes cause billions in damage.

It's. Not. All. About. Hurricanes. And. What. Category. They. Are.

Three storm systems from different parts of North America are coming together and forming a chaotic, unpredictablr and possibly unprecedented weather event.

by Anonymousreply 3710/26/2012

[quote] Didn't everyone already vote in the northeast?

No. We don't have early voting where I am.

by Anonymousreply 3810/26/2012

A weather event known as Frankenstorm.

by Anonymousreply 3910/26/2012

It's the day after tomorrow, only next week

by Anonymousreply 4010/26/2012

Three storm systems from different parts of North America are coming together and forming a chaotic, unpredictablr and possibly unprecedented weather event right over Pat Robertson's campus.

by Anonymousreply 4210/26/2012

It's not 2 storms converging, it's 3.

by Anonymousreply 4310/26/2012

The thing about a big storm like that is even far away from the center you are still getting really strong winds.

by Anonymousreply 4410/26/2012

Well we feel it here, r44?

by Anonymousreply 4510/26/2012

It's three fronts r5, not two. It's unprecedented.

An arctic front of freezing cold from the north, an early winter storm from the west, and a hurricane from the south, and the whole thing is going to sit over NYC for three days.

So, yeah, you're going to hear about it.

by Anonymousreply 4610/26/2012

Good luck New York. Hope it turns out to be a big nothing.

by Anonymousreply 4710/26/2012

HURRIQUAKE

by Anonymousreply 4810/26/2012

OMG LMAO R48. YOu know that's coming

by Anonymousreply 4910/26/2012

My GAWD, I'm getting freaked out!!

by Anonymousreply 5010/26/2012

[quote] HURRIQUAKE

SHARK ATTACK HURRIQUAKE

by Anonymousreply 5110/26/2012

I don't get the jokes. This is very serious!

by Anonymousreply 5210/26/2012

R52, imagine that a devastating hurricane was heading for Alabama or Mississippi. Or an outbreak of tornadoes was raging across flyover country. Now imagine all of you East Coast queens mocking Alabama, Mississippi, and flyover country and taking great joy in the destruction and havoc said weather events are wreaking on these areas. Imagine how funny that would be and all the jokes that would be flying about here on DL.

It's kind of like that, only in reverse.

by Anonymousreply 5310/26/2012

PLUS Sunday is a FULL MOON!

HIGHER THAN NORMAL TIDES

by Anonymousreply 5410/27/2012

Don't worry about that storm, OP. Mother Nature has ways of shutting things like that down.

by Anonymousreply 5510/27/2012

I am so worried about my house in the Pines.

by Anonymousreply 5610/27/2012

" don't get the jokes. This is very serious!"

Have you ever been on Datalounge before?

by Anonymousreply 5710/27/2012

Well, I, for one, am quite tired of waiting for the fun to begin.

Then again my Great-Great Granny watched the first day of Bull Run from her carriage, shaded by a frilly pink parasol which we prize to this day. Me, most of all.

by Anonymousreply 5810/27/2012

Hi! We're your weather girls!

And have we got news for you!

by Anonymousreply 5910/27/2012

r53 - except that aren't that many people who live in those areas (by comparison)

by Anonymousreply 6010/27/2012

Man, the subways will flood and the rats will coming running out into the streets of NYC. Do all your shopping this weekend ASAP, make sure you have a manual can opener (no pun intended) batteries, some good flashlights, and a battery operated radio and a battery operated TV. Have bottled water, juices, canned tuna, and fresh fruit on hand. Stuff like carrots that you won't need to cook.

If I were in Manhattan there's no way I'd be using the subways Monday, Tuesday, Weds, Thursday. Hell I wouldn't use them at all next week. EEEEEEEEEEE!

by Anonymousreply 6110/27/2012

This storm is gonna wimp out...like the one they predicted was gonna be the "storm of the century", it's all for TV ratings folks!!!

by Anonymousreply 6210/27/2012

They're saying it's strong enough to topple high rises, so yes I'm scared shitless.

by Anonymousreply 6310/27/2012

i'd get one of those hand-crank radios...that way you don't have to worry about batteries.

by Anonymousreply 6410/27/2012

I've been looking at the NOAA 120 hour forecasts. The storm clearly misses the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (Yes, the official state name!)

I like how NOAA uses probabilities - e.g. we in RI have a .2 or 20% chance of being hit. That means it is far from certain that it will hit us.

And I hold both my amateur radio and commercial radiotelephone licenses. I also own a Yaesu VX-7RB. It is a wide band receiver so covers HF bands, AM, FM, all the way up through to 799MHz and in all modulation methods (AM, FM, NFM, etc.)

It's in the charging stand and ready should I need it.

Because I know whenever there is an emergency, wired and wireless are the first thing to go belly up.

by Anonymousreply 6610/27/2012

Storm is that stripper chick that sells meth on Sunset, right?

by Anonymousreply 6710/27/2012

OMG!! Is Sunday T Dance cancelled???

by Anonymousreply 6810/27/2012

So my hard wired phone will work right?

I just don't want to lose my internet - I'll have to spend time reading BOOKS or talking to PEOPLE rather than surfing gossip forums. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 6910/27/2012

How about MY Barbra on tour? Will she be okay? WILL SHE BE OKAY?

by Anonymousreply 7010/27/2012

What happens with this storm has nothing to do with what happened last year. Some people's logic is really terrifyingly attenuated. "Nothing happened after last year's warnings, so I'm not going to be fooled this time" is the talk of a real fool.

by Anonymousreply 7110/27/2012

Why do so many people need this myth of "New Yorkers panicking and feeling sorry for themselves," etc.? They've clearly never been anywhere near NYC during these emergencies (including a bagatelle called 9/11). As with last year's hurricane warnings, the behavior of people here is amazingly calm and friendly, people help the old and disabled, etc. The no-nothings out there really seem to require their fantasy of another tired scenario.

by Anonymousreply 7210/27/2012

R53, making up shit. The places you name are their own punishment. New Yorkers don't think about them as much as you fantasize.

by Anonymousreply 7310/27/2012

Why so bitter, R24? Is your life that disappointing?

by Anonymousreply 7410/27/2012

On the one hand, if Obama handles the disaster well, it will display his leadership. Voters cling to the incumbent during times of disasters.

However, will the catastrophe prevent people from voting? There's a lot of blue states involved.

by Anonymousreply 7610/27/2012

You're out of your mind, r53. AKA the flyover troll. No one here would take pleasure in people losing their homes or their lives. You have serious issues. Those of us in the path of the storm are making jokes because it releases tension. We are laughing at ourselves. You, on the other hand, are a serious shit.

by Anonymousreply 7710/27/2012

They need to stop calling it Frankenstorm, Storm of the Millenium, blah, blah, blah. The Weather Channel is the worst for this. They hype the shit out of weather events like this because it is their one time to get lots of attention. Sorry to be so cynical but they have done this forever. They do the same thing when there is a snowstorm. Just give us the facts. I grew up in Miami. We had the threat of a hurricane every year. Sometimes they hit us. The weather people did not induce hysteria. They calmly presented the facts and told people how to prepare for the storm. They also need to stop sending their weather people out in precarious situations if they want us to take it seriously. How many times do we need to see Cantore try to stay on his feet during a wind gust or talk about how the wind driven rain "stings"? That's why I am going to avoid watching any coverage of this until Monday morning. I can't sit around for the next two days waiting for the world to end. And I can't do anything to stop it if it does.

by Anonymousreply 7810/27/2012

I wanna see the Sharkoctopus Giant Hurriquake.

by Anonymousreply 7910/27/2012

It's already been downgraded from hurricane to tropical storm....it's all about the ratings

by Anonymousreply 8010/27/2012

It's all Obama's fault.

by Anonymousreply 8110/27/2012

Now that it's a mere tropical storm, they're cutting back on all the dire warnings.

by Anonymousreply 8210/27/2012

off to work in my cute storm warning red CNN pant suit, of course we will have the fans blowing on high for the effect

by Anonymousreply 8310/27/2012

I'm gunning for hurricane status again. Y'all are pissin' me off.

by Anonymousreply 8410/27/2012

Sandy was downgraded to a Tropical Storm and then my friend Julie called Sandy a has-been. Sandy got so mad she's now a Hurricane again.

That Julie is a real cunt.

by Anonymousreply 8510/27/2012

...the water [will be] so blue that day...

by Anonymousreply 8610/27/2012

R13 and R16, thank you. Very good to know what might happend and prepare for; I am checking on batteries, flashlight and bottled water right now.

by Anonymousreply 8710/27/2012

R78, THANK YOU for being a voice of reason; much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 8810/27/2012

When Frankenstorm Sharktopus Hurriquakes Attack!

Next up on Faux Noise!

by Anonymousreply 8910/27/2012

HaviNg been through a couple of these "storm of the centuries" I have some advice. Calm the fuck down. Go to the store and buy some food. Charge you cell, iPad and Kindle. Maybe even, God forbid, buy a paper book. If the power goes out for a couple of days, it's not that cold, everyone will be fine.

Think of the more pleasant parts, like when the crew of hunky workmen show up to remove that 100-year-old tree that gets ripped out of the ground, or the corn-fed linemen work to re-hang electrical wires. You could be nice to them and bring them coffee, if you've got a way to make some (or there's a Starbucks open nearby).

But don't worry, bitches... Pat Robertson or some other religiofascist will blame the storm on teh gaze soon enough. We're a nation in moral decay, people!

by Anonymousreply 9010/27/2012

Don't forget to pre-lube.

First responders are under a lot of stress, so you should *always* offer them a...well, an outlet, shall we say, so they can blow off some, well, you know, steam.

by Anonymousreply 9110/27/2012

God is irate

by Anonymousreply 9210/27/2012

Its back as hurricane status

by Anonymousreply 9310/27/2012

[quote]'d get one of those hand-crank radios...that way you don't have to worry about batteries.

Doc Johnson makes a good one.

Oh, sorry, didn't have my reading glasses.

by Anonymousreply 9410/27/2012

"Remember the last hurricane that was supposed to hit us here? Nothing happened. Most restaurants stayed open in Chelsea and they were packed. People were stir crazy with the subways shut down, and all for nothing."

All true.

What isn't true and what makes no sense is to assume that history would repeat itself.

In fact, more that not being true and making no sense it may cause people to be foolhardy.

by Anonymousreply 9510/27/2012

That is exactly why so many people didn't leave during Katrina.

by Anonymousreply 9610/27/2012

The meteorologists have computer models for forecasting possible damage, but although this gives them a little buit of a jump than they had before (say in 1993's Perfect Storm) the models are still dependent on real time data that can shift instantaneously.

So they want to give warning, but usually the warnings are conservative until just before an area gets hit, and then the situation can go either way.

So people start tuning out the warnings, and you are back to not really knowing anything about what is going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 9710/27/2012

I am in Minnesota, and about 15 to 20 years ago they started talking about any potential snowfall over 3 inches as a possible storm. It kind of has a chicken little effect, because when they are constantly warning about storms you start totune them out and then you aren't paying enough attention when there is a real risk.

I think the 24 hour coverage has caused the media to hype up everything, so when something big comes along it gets lost in the glut of non-stories.

by Anonymousreply 9810/27/2012

This frickin scares me!!

by Anonymousreply 9910/27/2012

[quote]Remember the last hurricane that was supposed to hit us here? Nothing happened. Most restaurants stayed open in Chelsea and they were packed. People were stir crazy with the subways shut down, and all for nothing.

Irene caused $4 billion in damage and left tens of thousands without power for many days. Thousands of people were flooded out of their homes.

by Anonymousreply 10010/27/2012

That doesn't matter, R52. All that matters is that in Chelsea people went on drinking as usual.

You obviously have your priorities out of order.

by Anonymousreply 10110/27/2012

Should I order lots of chinese food?

by Anonymousreply 10210/27/2012

Most of my friends in Manhattan wasn't affected by Irene, not sure if it was necessary for them to shut down the subways, lots of places were closed coz people could get to work.

I hope everyone gets through this safe and sound!

by Anonymousreply 10310/27/2012

How did NYC fare in "The Perfect Storm" of 1993?

What about PA and inland CT?

by Anonymousreply 10410/27/2012

Grab your caftans and earrings.

by Anonymousreply 10510/27/2012

NYCers are pussies. Grew up in Chicago, grad school in Buffalo NY. It's called layering. Unless you float out to sea.

Sun's still shining here in Tucson, even though it's the high 80s

by Anonymousreply 10610/27/2012

quote[Grab your caftans and earrings.]

That is a great idea! With enough flotsam and jetsam the caftans can be stitched into not just a serviceable raft, but a very attractive raft that will be seen and no doubt much admired by Search and Rescue.

by Anonymousreply 10710/27/2012

OMG! I just saw Ava Gardner float by my window.

by Anonymousreply 10810/27/2012

It a blizzardacane.

by Anonymousreply 10910/27/2012

R107, you are supposed to put the brackets around the word 'quote.'

by Anonymousreply 11010/27/2012

{sorry}. "thanks."

by Anonymousreply 11110/27/2012

Lower case brackets, R107. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 11210/27/2012

[quote]lots of places were closed coz people could get to work.

That makes perfect sense R103.

by Anonymousreply 11310/27/2012

[quote]Most of my friends in Manhattan wasn't affected by Irene

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 11410/27/2012

Good heavens, R114, this is Frankenstorm, not a garden party!

by Anonymousreply 11510/27/2012

You in danger gurl

by Anonymousreply 11610/27/2012

Enough, r95. We get it. Those of us who choose to look on the bright side of life are fools. We're all going to die because we didn't take your sage advice on Stormapalooza seriously. You are our own version of Geraldo, Anderson and Jim Cantore. I can't wait for the rash of "I told you so" posts from you on Wednesday. If there is a Wednesday!!!

by Anonymousreply 11710/27/2012

We shouldn't be foolhardy.

by Anonymousreply 11810/27/2012

Will this storm make Anderson Cooper relevant again?

by Anonymousreply 11910/27/2012

Anderson Cooper is above this sort of thing now r119.

by Anonymousreply 12010/27/2012

YAY if the east coast loses power I'll have DL all to myself!!

by Anonymousreply 12110/27/2012

Layering doesn't do much good against a storm surge, flash flooding and power outages, R106

by Anonymousreply 12210/27/2012

Frankenstorm? There's an App for that.

by Anonymousreply 12310/27/2012

JIM CANTORRE IS IN MANHATTAN.

Manhattan, you in danger gurl.

by Anonymousreply 12410/27/2012

Closing all Atlantic City casinos Sunday afternoon.

Bloomberg is weighing "phase-out" of NYC public transport starting Sunday evening.

by Anonymousreply 12510/27/2012

I'm going out to buy some red wine to tide me over.

by Anonymousreply 12610/27/2012

Where's Rob Marciano going to be camped out in his fetching red slicker?

by Anonymousreply 12710/27/2012

Remember when we used to care about Rob Marciano?

Is he even on CNN these days?

by Anonymousreply 12810/27/2012

I think Rob Marciano married the Ramada sign, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 12910/27/2012

Reading a meteorologist now who says that Sandy throws all the categorization of storms way off for these reasons:

- The extreme size of the system

- The amount of kinetic energy at its center

- The spread of the wind field around the system

- "Coastal flooding, if projected paths hold, will be massive," further exacerbated by a full moon/high tide

- Hitting some of the most densely populated areas of the U.S.

Given the presence of all these variables, he says, the effects of Sandy may be measured in months, not weeks or days.

by Anonymousreply 13010/27/2012

Someone tell Cantore to take off his fucking hat and show the nation his chrome dome!

by Anonymousreply 13110/27/2012

Latest from Dr. Jeff Masters at Weather Underground is not good:

[quote]Sandy's storm surge may flood New York City's subway system, costing billions. Sandy is expected to have tropical storm-force winds that extend out more than 400 miles from the center, which will drive a much larger storm surge than its peak winds would ordinarily suggest. The full moon is on Monday, which means astronomical tides will be about 5% higher than typical, increasing the potential for damaging storm surge flooding. Fortunately, Sandy is now predicted to make a fairly rapid approach to the coast, meaning that the storm surge will not affect the coast for multiple high tide cycles. If Sandy hits near New York City, as the GFS model predicts, the storm surge will be capable of overtopping the flood walls in Manhattan, which are only five feet above mean sea level. On August 28, 2011, Tropical Storm Irene brought a storm surge of 4.13' to Battery Park on the south side of Manhattan. The waters poured over the flood walls into Lower Manhattan, but came 8 - 12" shy of being able to flood the New York City subway system.

[quote]I give a 30% chance that Sandy's storm surge will end up flooding a portion of the New York City subway system.

[quote]An excellent September 2012 article in the New York Times titled, "New York Is Lagging as Seas and Risks Rise, Critics Warn" quoted Dr. Klaus H. Jacob, a research scientist at Columbia University’s Earth Institute, on how lucky New York City got with Hurricane Irene. If the storm surge from Irene had been just one foot higher, "subway tunnels would have flooded, segments of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive and roads along the Hudson River would have turned into rivers, and sections of the commuter rail system would have been impassable or bereft of power," he said, and the subway tunnels under the Harlem and East Rivers would have been unusable for nearly a month, or longer, at an economic loss of about $55 billion. Dr. Jacob is an adviser to the city on climate change, and an author of the 2011 state study that laid out the flooding prospects. “We’ve been extremely lucky,” he said. “I’m disappointed that the political process hasn’t recognized that we’re playing Russian roulette.” A substantial portion of New York City's electrical system is underground in flood-prone areas.

by Anonymousreply 13210/27/2012

Highways in Florida and Georgia are filled with cherry-picker trucks from electric companies heading north to be ready for repairs to storm damage. A lot of people are already getting overtime pay before the storm hits land.

by Anonymousreply 13310/27/2012

The ships haven't moved out to sea yet. What if they got stuck in port?

Didn't New Jersey get a really bad hurricane about a century ago?

by Anonymousreply 13410/27/2012

New Yorkers, please go vote first! Then batten down.

by Anonymousreply 13510/27/2012

If the current predictions hold, my entire downtown (Jersey City) will be flooded and I am likely to be ordered to evacuate. Wonderful. At least I'm on the fifth floor so my stuff will be above the water, but my building will have no power for weeks.

See ya.

by Anonymousreply 13610/27/2012

This makes me wonder what it was like here, on 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 13710/27/2012

Not much worse than this guy is saying:

[bold]New York faces most intense storm in history[/bold]

excerpt:

The latter scenario — the one that now appears most likely — would have many feet of ocean water funneled into New York Harbor over a period of up to 36 hours. Unlike Irene, which quickly transited New York City last year as a weakening tropical storm, Sandy may actually be in the process of strengthening when it makes landfall.

The result could prove incredibly damaging for coastal residents and critical infrastructure. Keep in mind that Irene was only inches away from flooding subway tunnels in Lower Manhattan. Storm-surge forecasts for this scenario haven’t been officially released yet, but six to 10 feet in the city is not out of the question in a worst-case scenario.

That result would put about 700,000 people’s homes underwater, according to a Climate Central interactive analysis. Add to that waves of 10 to 20 feet on ocean-facing shores, and an additional foot or so of tidal influence from the full moon, and we could be dealing with quite a mess on our hands.

by Anonymousreply 13810/27/2012

R135, we can't. There is no early voting in NY, at least not in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 13910/27/2012

[quote]OMG! I just saw Ava Gardner float by my window.

That wasn't Ava Gardner. That was The Lady Bunny.

by Anonymousreply 14010/27/2012

The weather maps are saying the storm will move out to sea, only to gather more moisture and intensify as it pulled back onshore.

by Anonymousreply 14110/27/2012

9/11 was different, because obviously we didn't know about it until it really happened.

by Anonymousreply 14210/27/2012

Surely you jest, r120. Our little Andy will be out in Battery Park, along with Jim "this stinging rain STINGS" Cantore, holding on to the nearest lamp post for dear life, lookin' all butch in his CNN windbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 14310/27/2012

Wasn't there a storm last year that was supposed to flood the subway system and cause major damage and it wound up basically being a short storm?

This Sandy bitch better not be fickle like that one.

by Anonymousreply 14410/27/2012

[quote]9/11 was different, because obviously we didn't know about it until it really happened.

"Hurricane Sandy Determined to Strike in U.S."

by Anonymousreply 14510/27/2012

Okay, if you can't vote early, take your registration details when you evacuate. And keep safe overall, of course...

by Anonymousreply 14610/27/2012

Will this affect Grindr?

by Anonymousreply 14710/27/2012

There is early voting in NY. But you have to go the polling location and present ID to vote. I have already voted in NY State.

If you want to do it by mail, it's a lengthy process. You download the application, mail it in, they respond by mail and then you vote by return mail.

by Anonymousreply 14810/27/2012

And your stuff might get mildew.

by Anonymousreply 14910/27/2012

Grindr and Scruff will still be buzzing, but beware. You don't want to go over for a hookup and not be able to leave because of the storm.

by Anonymousreply 15010/27/2012

I should be studying my pretend ballot right now!

by Anonymousreply 15110/27/2012

OMG. everyone goT Their supplies for the sTorm? iT's going To be a cloudy and swirly sTorm.

by Anonymousreply 15210/27/2012

I wonder what Liza will do during the storm?

by Anonymousreply 15310/27/2012

Bloomberg news conference!!!

by Anonymousreply 15410/27/2012

[quote]Grindr and Scruff will still be buzzing, but beware. You don't want to go over for a hookup and not be able to leave because of the storm.

Sounds like the plot of some horrible indie movie that would play at a gay film festival, then disappear without a trace.

by Anonymousreply 15510/27/2012

Haha! Thanks FEMA, but no thanks. We've got it covered.

by Anonymousreply 15610/27/2012

I just found out that the storm was supposed to affect cities other than NYC. Jesus, I thought only New York was in danger. Have any of the other cities been warned?

by Anonymousreply 15710/27/2012

Bloomberg's ESL interpreter is EMOTING!

by Anonymousreply 15810/27/2012

Very cool. Everyone who posted on that link mention the t-shirt and how much they hate JR after that. You can watch the box office drop like a stone from that point forward, and I love that everyone remembered that.

What is Vera up to these days? I hope you got a shit ton of money.

Oh, and I also read that that stress of this national fornication with JR caused the death of Moder's mother.

by Anonymousreply 15910/27/2012

I see the eye of this storm, Sandy, is veering off track.

Oh wait, I was looking at a picture of Sandy Duncan.

by Anonymousreply 16010/27/2012

LOL R158! She is fucking hysterical. I'm losing it.

by Anonymousreply 16110/27/2012

I caught a report earlier on TWC with Cantore. The anchor at TWC asked Cantore how people in NYC were preparing for the storm. Keep in mind Cantore was reporting from Battery Park in lower Manhattan. He said that someone on the plane flying in with him told him that people were buying up milk and bread and batteries. Really? How would anyone on the same flight INTO New York know what was happening on the ground in NEW YORK? Since Cantore actually has boots on the ground wouldn't he KNOW how New Yorkers are preparing for Stormapalooza firsthand? I think the locals are telling him they are sick of the chicken little bullshit. And I don't think they are showing him much love. Prior to that statement he lamented the fact that NOAA was refusing to catagorize Sandy as a hurricane. The meterologist at the station agreed with him. In other words, they want it to be HYPED as a cat 1 or 2 hurricane hitting the Northeast. Why? For RATINGS. This is why I don't trust TWC anymore.

by Anonymousreply 16210/27/2012

[quote]This storm is beyond the storm of the century. Its the storm of the millennium.

I hear God just declared it the storm of all eternity.

by Anonymousreply 16310/27/2012

Mayor Bloomberg is definitely sugar-coating the situation in his press conference now.

"We could get through this very nicely."

by Anonymousreply 16410/27/2012

I just got a text from The Big Bang. It says this is the Storm of the Universe and Eternity. Oh. And Cloud Atlas wins Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 16510/27/2012

Bloomberg's Spanish is embarrassing! Why did he do that? Does he normally do a recap in Spanish at his press conferences? Either use subtitles or hire someone to repeat the speech in Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 16610/27/2012

I'm a Californian and have never been in a hurricane. This one sounds like it could be as devastating as Katrina. Is that a possibility?

by Anonymousreply 16710/27/2012

r167, aren't you paying attention? This is the Storm of the Millennium. Hurricane Katrina was already in this millennium, so this has to be worse. In fact, it has to be worse than *any* storm between the years 2000 and 2999 or it will not live up to its name.

by Anonymousreply 16810/27/2012

It's not going to be bad for NYC, the city itself. That's what Bloomberg, the mayor just said. As for other states, i'm not so sure, wasn't paying much attention but it's a fluid situation.

by Anonymousreply 16910/27/2012

This is just like that movie "The Day After Tomorrow."

by Anonymousreply 17010/27/2012

[quote]I'm a Californian and have never been in a hurricane. This one sounds like it could be as devastating as Katrina. Is that a possibility?

For New Orleans, "Katrina" was actually a levee collapse that happened many hours after the storm had moved on.

If this makes worse-case scenario for New York, it will be a test of that city's engineering as well.

by Anonymousreply 17110/27/2012

Katrina did not just affect New Orleans. It was a disastrous for most of the rest of the Gulf Coast between the Panhandle and Corpus Christi: Gulfport, Biloxi, Mobile...

by Anonymousreply 17210/27/2012

Oh my god, gurls! Pack your overnight bags - it's time to evacuate to Fire Island. I've garbbed my Clinique moisturizer, Creme de la Mer facial scrub, one bottle of Acai Berry Absolut vodka, and 3 matching business casual ensembles plus color coordinated rain gear.

by Anonymousreply 17310/27/2012

Does the lil' Bloviator use a Magic Eight Ball?, r154. "I'm sure no one's windows will blow out". Really, Mayor Moneybags? Really? Oh, Christ. Now he's speaking Spanish. Hispanic New Yorkers laugh at him when he does this. He likes to brag that he uses the subway. Please let him get caught in a swirling vortex of dirty water, rats and garbage while riding the A train and have to paddle his way to City Hall on the back of a homeless tunnel dweller.

by Anonymousreply 17410/27/2012

After Katrina, much of the Gulf Coast looked like a war had taken place. Piles of lumber and debris all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 17510/27/2012

Well, here's the thng. The infrastructure for the sewers and the subway system will get flooded if there's a lot of rain. They always do. If the storm is slow moving with a lot of rain it will be a mess and require shutting down the MTA.

If there's a lot of wind we'll see power outages too. That can create a mess if the storm moves slow and repairs take too long. The wind and rain as with any storm if excessive will cause some problems. Especially if it's long lasting.

All the evacuation stuff is rather unnecessary. People ought to just stay home. The only ones I can see them evacuating are people with medical emergencies that require electtricity to stay alive. Like people on breathing machines or something.

The Rockaways and coastal areas of LongIsland & Staten Island are in for some shit if this thing moves slow and dumps a lot of rain. Those people need to use their heads and get out. No matter what Mayor Mike says.

I do have to admit I like the way he said that we may get thru this "quite well." It made me smile and think of Barbara Bush.

by Anonymousreply 17610/27/2012

THE END OF THE WORLD IS COMING

by Anonymousreply 17710/27/2012

is Cantore gay? sure would be a hot fuck

by Anonymousreply 17810/27/2012

Sorry, R178

by Anonymousreply 17910/27/2012

Was just reading an article on weather.com and they are dying that they won't be able to call this a hurricane when it lands. "Don't get caught up in the terminology. We promise it's still going to be really bad and devastating. Labels are silly. This is still the storm of the century."

Are they that scared of slipping ratings/web hits?

by Anonymousreply 18010/27/2012

Power companies in the southeast states are sending their trucks up the coast to be ready when the storm hits.

by Anonymousreply 18110/27/2012

The funny thing is that with climate change, using a label like "the storm of the millennium" makes no sense. What happens in a couple of years when "the no-shit, really, storm of all human history" shows up, or, in five years when people wax nostalgic about how gentle that storm was?

by Anonymousreply 18210/27/2012

R 174 I am a born and raised NYer and many like me love the swirl and buzz that happens during situations like this. It's not panic or fear, but more a rush. But I will give Bloomberg this... Many newer buildings are built like shit and pop windows. I've got my eye on you Time Warner Center.

by Anonymousreply 18310/27/2012

They admit that they have never tracked a storm that is exactly like this one. They aren't sure what it will do.

by Anonymousreply 18410/27/2012

What is FEMA doing?

by Anonymousreply 18510/27/2012

I just heard that molten lava will be falling from the sky during the storm.

Molten, red hot LAVA and many, many toads and spiders.

by Anonymousreply 18610/27/2012

[quote] Oh my god, gurls! Pack your overnight bags - it's time to evacuate to Fire Island

TO Fire Island?

You do know all of Fire Island was ordered to evacuate starting this afternoon, right? They are literally evacuating as I type this.

by Anonymousreply 18710/27/2012

Locusts, R186? Will there be locusts? Please say there will be.

by Anonymousreply 18810/27/2012

This is the real 2012 doomsday New York/New Jersey tristate area. Wait till you wake up Tuesday morning. If you can sleep through all the branches flying into your house!

by Anonymousreply 18910/27/2012

Yes r186, we will have imported locusts just for you.

by Anonymousreply 19010/27/2012

[quotes]Locusts, [R186]? Will there be locusts? Please say there will be.

The air will be thick with swarms of flesh-eating locusts, of course. Dunno how I forgot to mention this...it is important, after all.

by Anonymousreply 19110/27/2012

Now the west coast is threatening to have a tsunami after the 7.7 quake up near Juno, Alaska.

by Anonymousreply 19210/27/2012

I love posters like r186. Laughter really is the best medicine.

by Anonymousreply 19310/27/2012

Elaborate, r192.

by Anonymousreply 19410/27/2012

After the dust settles from the earthquake/tsunami Sarah Palin really WILL be able to see Russia from her house.

by Anonymousreply 19510/28/2012

The quake was off the coast of Canada. 7.7

by Anonymousreply 19610/28/2012

This storm will be a bust...too much hype.

by Anonymousreply 19710/28/2012

Thank God for toads, no more West Nile...

by Anonymousreply 19810/28/2012

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!" will take on an entirely different meaning this time around.

by Anonymousreply 19910/28/2012

What I'm really worried about is the mega-tsunami Monday afternoon and the super-volcano Tuesday morning.

Not to mention the Guy Fieri super-mega-marathon the Food Network has scheduled for next weekend.

by Anonymousreply 20010/28/2012

A bunch of birds just showed up outside the schoolhouse here in Bodega Bay. Should I be worried?

by Anonymousreply 20110/28/2012

R48, are you God or PR for SyFy? It is a HURRIQUAKE!

by Anonymousreply 20210/28/2012

I honestly think that this "storm" will fizzle out, and turn out to be the BIGGEST HYPED NON-EVENT in history.

Just watch.

by Anonymousreply 20310/28/2012

Me 2 R203

by Anonymousreply 20410/28/2012

Well you may be right, R203, bcz it looks like the trajectory has changed. That ass on the weaher channel that was questioning the "wisdom" of Mayor Mike not evacuating peole, can go suck a big one.

by Anonymousreply 20510/28/2012

When the Weather Channel and the rest of the media get egg on their collective faces, what will the new name of the "perfect storm" be?

FRANKENFART?

FRANKENWELLFUCKME!!!

FRANKENYOUMADEFOOLSOFUSALL!

FRANKEN*AHEM*BULLSHIT!*AHEM*

FRANKENOURFUCKINGRATINGSWENTDOWN!!

This will not end well, when Mother Nature faces the media backlash.

by Anonymousreply 20610/28/2012

[quote]You do know all of Fire Island was ordered to evacuate starting this afternoon, right? They are literally evacuating as I type this.

Eaaaaaaaarrrrringssssss!!!! Caaaaaaaaaaaftaaaaaaaaaaaaans!!!!

by Anonymousreply 20710/28/2012

It's like the boy who cried wolf. If we watch the media, we will be afraid to go out of the house.

by Anonymousreply 20810/28/2012

Shut up, R208. Some people are really in danger with this one.

by Anonymousreply 20910/28/2012

I just need to point out that the East Coast went through one somewhat false alarm and you guys are talking like this. On the Gulf Coast, we had YEARS of false alarms before Katrina and Katrina turned out to be the real deal. And we were vilified because so many of us didn't leave.

The point is, YOU NEVER KNOW. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. And if the best happens thank your stars, shut your mouth and get ready to plan for the next one.

by Anonymousreply 21010/28/2012

You are correct New Orleans. Fortunately in Manhattan our power lines are buried and we tend not to lose power.

by Anonymousreply 21110/28/2012

Who cares if it's overhyped? What are you out? A little labor? You have too much peanut butter & tuna & batteries?

by Anonymousreply 21210/28/2012

Must be nice Manhattan @R211. Wish we had that perk.

by Anonymousreply 21310/28/2012

...dare i ask: are there many nuclear power plants in harm's way....?

by Anonymousreply 21410/28/2012

I completely agree R212. I just removed the entire contents out of my place and even wrapped up things in heavy tarp that I couldn't get out. I posted upthread about living right on the water. I would rather take these precautions than lose everything.

It would be fabulous if nothing happens. I will happily move everything back. A days work just to be on the safe side is no problem for me. But the thought of losing everything I have ,is - so the solution is to be prepared.

by Anonymousreply 21510/28/2012

oops wrong thread

I'm not R117, R212. That's the "Frankenstorm" thread.

by Anonymousreply 21610/28/2012

answered my own question:

by Anonymousreply 21710/28/2012

Can we keep it to one thread, boys?

by Anonymousreply 21810/28/2012

Indian point = oi vey!

by Anonymousreply 21910/28/2012

R218 is a hall monitor

by Anonymousreply 22010/28/2012

A

by Anonymousreply 22110/28/2012

91 Perfect Storm Skipper Leery of Hurricane Sandy

By ALLEN G. BREED AP National Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. October 27, 2012 (AP)

Ray Leonard knows a thing or two about monster storms. In fact, he's the skipper of the Satori, the 32-foot sailboat that rode out THE perfect storm 21 years ago.

And if he had loved ones living in the path of Hurricane Sandy, which was barreling north from the Caribbean and already was responsible for dozens of deaths, he'd tell them to get out before they need to be saved.

"Don't be rash," the 85-year-old sailor said in a telephone interview Saturday from his home in Fort Myers, Fla. "I would be sure that I had a vehicle that was pretty substantial. I would be sure I had a decent supply of fuel and water — and Graham crackers."

Why Graham crackers?

"Well," he said, "I LIKE Graham crackers. But you COULD have Oreos."

by Anonymousreply 22210/28/2012

You only have to be wrong once!

by Anonymousreply 22310/28/2012

What's really over the top is that the media can't restrain themselves from tie-ing their OVER THE TOP storm coverage (i.e., weather pron) with ELECTION DAY.

Al Joker's lead in on Meet The Press today was ridiculous implying that the election would turn on Hurricane Sandy because the would be without power for at least 10 days "and without power you can't vote!" By programme's end though they were trailing next week's show "live from NBC's Democracy Center in New York!" And they didn't even qualify it with "depending on the storm, of course."

This storm is already suffering from over hype and over exposure in the media.

If you look at the projected storm path (right through Atlantic City), it's clearly God's retribution on Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 22410/28/2012

Bloomberg yapping again. As disengaged as Obama was during the first debate.

They have replaced his EMOTING ESL interpreter with a much less dramatic (and less fun) version.

by Anonymousreply 22510/28/2012

God R215, where did you get the energy for all that moving?

by Anonymousreply 22610/28/2012

Weather Channel just announced that tropical-storm force winds stretch for 900 miles across, from the coast of North Carolina to Bermuda.

That's beyond huge.

by Anonymousreply 22710/28/2012

R226, My brother lives nearby so I enlisted his help. But still, I'm at the bottom of a hill, so we had to drag things up the hill to get them into the garage. I'm just glad it's over, and now I can relax. Although as I sit here surfing the DL I am realizing that I must have done something to my back in the process. The pain is starting to kick in. Uggh.

I seriously can't wait for this storm to be over. Fortunately I have flood insurance.

by Anonymousreply 22810/28/2012

Ok, we've had a few jokes about it but let's correct r225. It's ASL. I presume Bloomberg already speaks English.

by Anonymousreply 22910/28/2012

OMG, R227! The storm winds are 900 mph???!!! It's the worst storm ever! It's like the one on Jupiter! The whole eastern seaboard is toast...how will they have the election? They'll have to cancel it now!!! OMG what is happening???

by Anonymousreply 23010/28/2012

"Did Bloomberg Have a Boner At His Hurricane Sandy Press Conference?"

Photo at link.

by Anonymousreply 23110/28/2012

Currently enjoying a nice light breeze here in Seattle...

by Anonymousreply 23210/28/2012

He is looking forward to hunkering down with a nice boytoy and bottle of wine.

by Anonymousreply 23310/28/2012

Thomas Roberts is covering it for MSNBC and looks really hot and is flashing his wedding ring. People are really losing their minds over this.

by Anonymousreply 23410/28/2012

In LA, stormwatching. We tried to steal Sandy's thunder this morning but only made it to a 3.9 quake.

by Anonymousreply 23510/28/2012

Yes, r232, it's balmy here today.

by Anonymousreply 23610/28/2012

In LA wondering if our little quake at the base of the San Andreas fault was actually a fore-shock to a far larger shake.

by Anonymousreply 23710/28/2012

I'm just looking at Sandy like a giant douche! And girlfriends, I need one!!!

I'm sitting on front porch with my legs spread, saying HEY SANDY! I'm ready for an undercarriage cleaning like I ain't never seen!

by Anonymousreply 23810/28/2012

Stop trying to steal the limelight, R237. Your time will come soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 23910/28/2012

Has Donald Trump tied down his hair?

Maybe he has evacuated the area instead.

by Anonymousreply 24010/28/2012

Sorry you hurt your back R215. Hope everything will be OK for you.

by Anonymousreply 24110/28/2012

The cone moved to the north. Suck it New York.

by Anonymousreply 24210/28/2012

The NYSE just announced it won't be trading tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 24310/28/2012

Looks like NY is just outside the hurricane force wind zone. Imagine if the media fucked this one up. Will the story be... Gee look how we fucked up and caused panic?

by Anonymousreply 24410/28/2012

the media is a joke just look at Hawaii

by Anonymousreply 24510/28/2012

LOL mockers and scoffers this has not even hit NY or surrounding areas! so many bitter femme queens love to stir shit up

by Anonymousreply 24610/28/2012

I would love nothing more than for this storm to bypass NYC.

by Anonymousreply 24710/28/2012

6,000 FLIGHTS CANCELLED!

Oh my GAWD!!

by Anonymousreply 24810/28/2012

[quote]Looks like NY is just outside the hurricane force wind zone. Imagine if the media fucked this one up

But this isn't just a hurricane.

It's a hurricane mixed with a nor'easter mixed with a storm from the north - and all happening during a full moon.

I was just watching NJ cable news - I'm 10 miles away from NY harbor - and they just said we're going to be subjected to tropical storm winds for about 10-14 hours.

by Anonymousreply 24910/28/2012

God's wrath!!!

by Anonymousreply 25010/28/2012

Update...23:15

by Anonymousreply 25110/28/2012

I'm glad it's not winter. If a nor'easter met up with a Midwest snow storm and an arctic cold front, we'd be buried. And flooded, because time and the storm surge wait for no man.

by Anonymousreply 25210/28/2012

It's got something to do with that Mayan calender thing - I just KNOW it!

by Anonymousreply 25310/29/2012

Philadelphia is going to have to BITE it.

by Anonymousreply 25410/29/2012

Somehow, Streisand is behind this, I just know it.

by Anonymousreply 25510/29/2012

I hurt my back doing my laundry. Do I get sympathy, too. I wanted to have clean sheets for the coming storm.

Oh and I took some clever DLer's advice and put water filled zip bags in my freezer. They better not leak all over my freezer.

I don't understand why it hooked left instead of going straight north.

by Anonymousreply 25610/29/2012

just got back after another market run for loads of frozen goodies yummy

by Anonymousreply 25710/29/2012

I hope you're back feels better R256.

by Anonymousreply 25810/29/2012

I need tampons

by Anonymousreply 25910/29/2012

Just be glad it won't be 98 degrees with high humidity and no ac afterwards, like it is for us on the gulf coast.

by Anonymousreply 26010/29/2012

Thank you, R258. Same to you. I did some exercises for it and it relieved it almost immediately. Just a little sore now. I was given a few exercises by my physical therapist when I really, really hurt my back about a dozen years ago - mostly stretching - but they always work quickly and effectively.

I hear champagne is good for a bad back. ;)

R259, rip up some sheets like your pioneer ancestors did. Use the purified water you bought to clean them.

by Anonymousreply 26110/29/2012

Well, after all the hype and hoopla, this turned out to be nothing. It's over and done with.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 26210/29/2012

Cheryl is a stupid cunt, who deserves to be rectally douched.

by Anonymousreply 26310/29/2012

The storm made it's left turn and it's heading to New Jersey and NYC. I think NJ will get the worst of it, but with 6-11foot surges, you have to wonder WTF would anyone want to live in Rockaway?

by Anonymousreply 26410/29/2012

In fact, this begs the question. While it's great to live near the ocean, when people live in areas that are definitely flood zones why do they do that.I'm talking bout the entire coast of the U.S. The Gulf Coast too.

The other thing that you better get ready for. Any time there's any kind of catastrophe, everyone's insurance rates are going to go up. You can live in Kansas and you will feel the effects of Sandy in you property insurance rates as well as every other kind of Insurance.

by Anonymousreply 26510/29/2012

[quote] I wonder what Liza will do during the storm?

I'll be working with clay. I'll be creating new masshhhterpeechsssh for my Lizsha line.

I shent Tony for shomme bottled water, three cartonshh of Marlboro Lighsshts and shoome Ben and Jerryshh...

tipping the hidden vodka while hessh at the Korean Market.

by Anonymousreply 26610/29/2012

[quote]I don't understand why it hooked left instead of going straight north.

Isn't there an Actic storm from up north forcing it to stay where it is and consequently collide with the nor'easter coming from the west?

by Anonymousreply 26710/29/2012

There is a High out in the Atlantic and a storm coming from the west that is creatinga sort of clear area for the Tropical Storm and making its pressure very low. This is why it is turning west.

by Anonymousreply 26810/29/2012

[quote]I don't understand why it hooked left instead of going straight north.

The people in Newfoundland turned on those huge weatherfans that they've been testing. The left hook of this storm shows that the fans are working.

by Anonymousreply 26910/29/2012

I just woke up. Where is the storm? We've got hella winds here. I hope this is it and the storm isn't still 200 miles away. Because if this isn't the storm, I don't want to know what it's going to be like when it gets here.

by Anonymousreply 27010/29/2012

Almost 9:00 gAyM and there is not a drop of rain. Not one...it's kind of nice out.

Disappointment

by Anonymousreply 27110/29/2012

r270 not until the wee hours of tomorrow morning is it coming ashore. Where are you?

by Anonymousreply 27210/29/2012

Landfall for the story is calculated from when the eye of the storm gets to land. That won't happen until tonight so there will be rain and battering winds all day today.

by Anonymousreply 27310/29/2012

R272, on the NJ cable news show, they said the storm will make landfall at around 6PM because it's moving a little faster than expected.

by Anonymousreply 27410/29/2012

Mary! I live in Houston and we've seen much worse.

by Anonymousreply 27510/29/2012

This is what Ocean Grove NJ looked like last night (and keep in mind normally we get teeny waves in the state).

by Anonymousreply 27610/29/2012

[quote] [R270] not until the wee hours of tomorrow morning is it coming ashore. Where are you?

South fork of Long Island, about 20 miles to the west of Montauk. It's been very windy here since yesterday.

Right now, the winds are as strong as when hurricane Irene hit us. I think it was a tropical storm at that point, but the Atlantic is about 5 miles away, so storms come barreling in off the ocean..

Fire island is a barrier beach for western Lomg Island. We don't have Fire Island out here. It stops somewhere around Westhampton, so we don't have a barrier.

by Anonymousreply 27710/29/2012

R266 I think I love you.

by Anonymousreply 27810/29/2012

Is everyone dead yet?

by Anonymousreply 27910/29/2012

Is everybody lit?

by Anonymousreply 28010/29/2012

DL fave Gov. Christie said it will make landfall in 12 hours (it is now 12:18 pm)

by Anonymousreply 28110/29/2012

CNN reporting boardwalk in Atlantic City under water has collapsed.

by Anonymousreply 28210/29/2012

There are many areas underwater now.

by Anonymousreply 28310/29/2012

THIS IS WORSE THAN THEY PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT

by Anonymousreply 28410/29/2012

R283 where are you located.

by Anonymousreply 28510/29/2012

Apt building in Chelsea collapsed? Any confirmation?

by Anonymousreply 28610/29/2012

I bet the hotel bars are all busy.

by Anonymousreply 28710/29/2012

R 286, I heard about that and saw a pic, the facade of a building in Chelsea was totally gone, but the building itself was still standing. Looked for the pic, but do to the amount of info coming out each second online, was not able to find it.

by Anonymousreply 28810/29/2012

They described it like a doll house! completely open

by Anonymousreply 28910/29/2012

Cars floating down Wall Street. Power off in Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 29010/29/2012

Climate change? Dam liberal bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 29110/29/2012

yes r286, well the front of it

The Muscle Maker Grill!

by Anonymousreply 29210/29/2012

r291, God's wrath!

by Anonymousreply 29310/29/2012

Ha!

Muscle Maker faceless building may have been an illegals hotel, says Christine Quinn.

All 15 people inside were Austrian tourists.

by Anonymousreply 29410/29/2012

[quote]THIS IS WORSE THAN THEY PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT

Nope. This is EXACTLY what they've thought for about 5 days.

by Anonymousreply 29510/29/2012

Mmmmm, Austrians.

by Anonymousreply 29610/29/2012

LaGuardia airport flooded.

Battery tunnel flooded.

Police on Washington St. in lower Manhattan on bull horns telling residents to evacuate to higher ground.

by Anonymousreply 29710/29/2012

What happened to Manhattan during that huge hurricane in the 30s?

by Anonymousreply 29810/29/2012

Snow too.

by Anonymousreply 29910/29/2012

Cars underwater on Ave C and 14th Street?

by Anonymousreply 30010/29/2012

East River Subway has 4 feet of water.

by Anonymousreply 30110/29/2012

R298, the hurricane that hit in the 30s (if you're referring to The New England Hurricane of 1938) only caused some flooding in lower Manhattan. Most of the damage as far as New York is concerned happened on eastern Long Island (which really wasn't as populous as it is today).

My dad's a native New Yorker (Manhattan) who lived there from the late 1940s to the early 1980s. He only recalls school being cancelled one time when he was a kid, and it was because of a freak snowstorm that caused waist-high snow. I remember him telling me that the skyscrapers used to be built to withstand earthquakes and hurricanes, but who knows how well-made buildings are today (despite advances in technology, workmanship is a lot shoddier).

by Anonymousreply 30210/29/2012

I love Manhattan, it is one of my favorite places. But I find it fascinating at what drama queens they can be. This storm has been raging for a couple of days, but now that it's hitting NYC, the world is ending. My god, dial it down a notch.

by Anonymousreply 30310/29/2012

Im just glad we are getting a break from the election/Mittbots here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 30410/29/2012

R303, you have to remember that New York is home to Broadway. New Yorkers are by nature very...theatrical.

by Anonymousreply 30510/29/2012

Is Stuyvestant Town really flooding on the lower floor?

by Anonymousreply 30610/29/2012

Aw, cut them some slack, 303. Nature can be a furious force when it really hits and, other than some big snow storms, it doesn't really hit Nyc that often. Nobody really believed it would be this unsettling, given all the media hype.

by Anonymousreply 30710/29/2012

Are the floods limited to the areas built on landfills?

by Anonymousreply 30810/29/2012

NY Daily News FLOODED!

Everyone below 39th STREET. Without power.

by Anonymousreply 30910/29/2012

r303, you do realize America's Gods are under attack?

by Anonymousreply 31010/29/2012

US infrastructure is so outdated. In many places there isn't even major flooding yet and power is out already. Crikey.

by Anonymousreply 31110/29/2012

r303 will eat his words in two days

by Anonymousreply 31210/29/2012

Thanks, r302.

by Anonymousreply 31310/29/2012

the water is pouring in right now

by Anonymousreply 31410/29/2012

"he 8-million-strong human population of New York City is matched, if not exceeded, by the city's number of rodent dwellers. Fortunately, the two populations don't mingle all that often.

But that could change as storm waters from Hurricane Sandy flood rats out of their underground residences, according to Rick Ostfeld of the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Milbrook, N.Y.

"Rats are incredibly good swimmers," said Ostfeld. "And they can climb."

In other words, Sandy is unlikely to knock off the resilient rodents, but rather displace them."

by Anonymousreply 31510/29/2012

Floor of the NYSE under 3 feet of water.

by Anonymousreply 31610/29/2012

Dang.

by Anonymousreply 31710/29/2012

It seems like Fairfield, CT is going to end up rather bruised. Which is so so sad, because that's John Mayer's hometown. :( :( :(

And Greenwich, multiple houses on fire, with one completely destroyed...

by Anonymousreply 31810/29/2012

Massive explosion on the lower east side

by Anonymousreply 31910/29/2012

Looks like a lot of buildings in New York will finally get those fabled nacreous layers of permacum removed.

by Anonymousreply 32010/29/2012

It's starting to get pissy outside here (SW Ontario). I guess the storm front is hovering b/c of Sandy.

Anyone in TO? How are you doing?

by Anonymousreply 32110/29/2012

Branches were down in Atlanta, because of wind. Why is this storm so gigantic?

by Anonymousreply 32210/29/2012

TO here, r321. Wind is definitely picking up but nothing major so far.

by Anonymousreply 32310/29/2012

I'm in Toronto... it's fiercely windy and quite cold. A little rain. I think we're on the top end of the system that is colliding with Sandy. It's supposed to be winds gusting to 100 km/hr. I think that's about 65 mph.

by Anonymousreply 32410/29/2012

Hey, 323, we should fuck or something.

by Anonymousreply 32510/29/2012

R315's source is dead right. The day after Andrew blew through La, I drove to the Garden District (Baton Rouge, not NOLA) to check on my terrified Kansan bf (baby's first hurricane). All was dead silent. Streets were still flooded there, and all the manhole covers were off or bubbling up. And out of every grate and hole I saw huge sewer rats swimming out and through the streets.

One of the most awesome and creepy scenes I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 32610/29/2012

Surfers, surfing Lake Michigan...colder then fuck.

by Anonymousreply 32710/29/2012

I didn't remember that Andrew went through La.

by Anonymousreply 32810/29/2012

R322, Yeah, and the wind could be felt far west as of early today. Indianapolis had 40mph gusts; they're expected to go to 50mph. Just from this coastal storm...it isn't coming from the Great Lakes.

by Anonymousreply 32910/29/2012

Anderson reporting there is NOT three feet of water at the NYSE

by Anonymousreply 33010/29/2012

Anderson's measurement by sight isn't the greatest...that's why he claims to have a 10 inch penis.

by Anonymousreply 33110/29/2012

R330 I thought it made a good story

by Anonymousreply 33210/29/2012

Well it did. Andrew went through Morgan City and Lake Charles. Tornadoes hit Baton Rouge and a bunch of other places.

by Anonymousreply 33310/29/2012

NYC is FUCKED just wait for more news!!

by Anonymousreply 33410/29/2012

Cleveland OH, here. Sustained NNW winds of 40---50 MPH with gusts up to 60--70MPH. LOTS of rain, and it looks like it's raining sideways. Waves 15--20 feet on Lake Erie ( almost unheard of. Erie is the shallowest of the Great Lakes. I know 15--20 foot waves doesn't sound bad, but Erie's average depth is about 40 feet and 212 at it's deepest point)

Power flickered a few times, but we haven't lost it yet. Stay safe, my friends.

by Anonymousreply 33510/29/2012

In Cleveland?? Oh shit

by Anonymousreply 33610/29/2012

This is going to end up worse than katrina

by Anonymousreply 33710/29/2012

Oh yeah, r336---In CLEVELAND! I live right along the lakeshore and it's pretty nasty here. We have a cold front from Canada dipping down and hooking up with Sandy ( that HUSSY!) The worst is expected tomorrow ( Tuesday )

by Anonymousreply 33810/29/2012

r325, storm sex?

by Anonymousreply 33910/29/2012

Oh shit son!!!

by Anonymousreply 34010/29/2012

The East River subway is not flooded... Because there is no such thing as an East River subway!

by Anonymousreply 34110/29/2012

charlie- They have clarified via twitter that it's the subways that run under the East River that have flooded.

by Anonymousreply 34210/29/2012

R337 WTF?

Katrina was a real cat 4 hurricane, Sandy is a tropical storm, you cannot compare the the two so shut the fuck up.

The drama surrounding this storm is unbelievable,

by Anonymousreply 34310/29/2012

r343, the FDNY scanner just said Bellvue is looking at evac--they are flooded in the basement, have one hour's power left and can't get the generators started. I can't hear clearly if they have another generator in another place. It doesn't look good.

This is not a good situation.

by Anonymousreply 34510/29/2012

No it's not!!!!

by Anonymousreply 34610/29/2012

The loss of the property, coastline and revenue at the NJ Shore is going to be catastrophic to say the least. All Jersey jokes aside, the places where many of our childhoods took place will be gone forever. Very sad...

by Anonymousreply 34710/29/2012

Backup generators at hospitals now failing. Mass patient evacuations.

by Anonymousreply 34810/29/2012

Sandy is 10 miles SW of Philadelphia now.

by Anonymousreply 34910/29/2012

I'm hearing that 10 people have died already? Many people missing.

by Anonymousreply 35010/29/2012

High tide at 12am in coastal SW Connecticut (like 4 min). We'll see if any water spills over......

by Anonymousreply 35110/29/2012

Well that was quick, a house already broke away from its foundation and is floating. Oh, CT.

by Anonymousreply 35210/30/2012

The storm is now classified a post-tropical cyclone, having merged with a cold weather system approaching from the west.

by Anonymousreply 35310/30/2012

Hurricane Sandy speaks -

by Anonymousreply 35410/30/2012

R353--that's the problem.

by Anonymousreply 35510/30/2012

2.8 million people without power!

by Anonymousreply 35610/30/2012

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM RUNNING OUT OF FOOD CALLING 911

by Anonymousreply 35710/30/2012

Well the OP's rather dramatic post was SPOT-ON!!

by Anonymousreply 35810/30/2012

R342, who is "they"? Who was it who first used the term "East River Subway"?

by Anonymousreply 35910/30/2012

Why do transportable power generators have to be so expensive?

by Anonymousreply 36010/30/2012

I'm scared to death so many people are going to die today

by Anonymousreply 36110/30/2012

[quote] It seems like Fairfield, CT is going to end up rather bruised.

Wow! When I was a little girl - yes I am old - we lived 2 blocks from the beach in Fairfield. We were evacuated for Hurricane Donna and I remember my mother taking all the bottom drawers out and putting them on the beds. Also rolling up carpets. We went to a high school and as soon as we got the all clear we got out of there and went home. There was no flooding as expected. But a few months later we moved to Florida and saw the results of Donna in central Florida - one of the rare canes that did damage to central Florida.

The NYFD Facebook page is very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 36210/30/2012

[quote] HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM RUNNING OUT OF FOOD CALLING 911

Don't worry, Candy!

The National Guard is airlifting a ton of M&M's in for you to snack on.

We pray you can survive long enough on your body fat to make it through the night!!!

Hang on, Candy! HAAAAAAAANG ONNNNNNNN!!!!

by Anonymousreply 36310/30/2012

So happy to wake up to quiet...the wind last night was scarry as hell.

by Anonymousreply 36410/30/2012

Weather Underground R359. Are you going to report them?

by Anonymousreply 36510/30/2012

Have any NYC websites gone dark?

Where's Charlie? He should be here to tell us about all the posh people he met in the shelter.

Is the power back on at Eastern Bloc, Bedlam, and the firehouse?

Did GG prepare a fabulous storm dinner for his ex-boyfriend last night? Did he get kicked out and moved back home today... again?

by Anonymousreply 36610/30/2012

So 80 homes burned down in Queens, will it stop or keep burning?

by Anonymousreply 36710/30/2012

Where is the idiot who kept refuting the "City on Fire" posts?

by Anonymousreply 36810/30/2012

[quote]Have any NYC websites gone dark?

Pretty minor, but I use the HuffPo on-line tv guide (used to be AOL) and that seems to have gone away.

by Anonymousreply 36910/30/2012

Gawker is down.

by Anonymousreply 37010/30/2012

The fire in Queens is contained or out.

by Anonymousreply 37110/30/2012

Charlie is in the shelter eating GMO food and High Fructose Corn syrup, his two favorite foods.

by Anonymousreply 37210/30/2012

Just a shout out to OP.

You called it!

by Anonymousreply 37310/30/2012

Maybe we can get Anderson Cooper to go to the shelter to interview Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 37410/30/2012

Mike Woods is keeping me warm and, well, not dry.

by Anonymousreply 37510/30/2012

Facebook is down.

by Anonymousreply 37610/30/2012

My fucking toilet is clogged again calling 911

by Anonymousreply 37710/30/2012

So where are all the idiots who said it was just media hype...

by Anonymousreply 37810/31/2012

. . . and the "No prob, bra, all our power lines are safely buried underground" ones?

by Anonymousreply 37910/31/2012

[quote] . . . and the "No prob, bra, all our power lines are safely buried underground

I forgot we paid a tax to have our newest lines buried. We never lost power.

I hope we get trick or treaters. I have about 100 full sized candy bars I bought last week. I wish my town would have Halloween on Saturday

by Anonymousreply 38010/31/2012

[quote] I wish my town would have Halloween on Saturday

Then it wouldn't be Halloween, duh!

by Anonymousreply 38110/31/2012

FUCK THAT SHIT HOLE NEW YORK CITY AND ALL THE ASSHOLES THAT LIVE THERE!

by Anonymousreply 38211/01/2012

I have one word for you, dear. Lithium...

by Anonymousreply 38311/01/2012

So was OP right or wrong...

by Anonymousreply 38411/04/2012

OP was right!

by Anonymousreply 38511/04/2012

OP could not have been more right...what is the prediction for tonight?

by Anonymousreply 38611/06/2012

Fear of Looting Grips NYC as New Storm Threatens

By COLLEEN LONG and TOM HAYS Associated Press

NEW YORK November 7, 2012 (AP)

Richard Chan prowled around his cold, dark Staten Island home with knives and a sword to protect it from thieves, standing his ground as another East Coast storm threatened and police went through neighborhoods with loudspeakers warning people to get out.

"I still have some valuables. I just can't leave it," he said Tuesday. "I just don't want to lose my stuff to some dirtbag."

While city officials strongly encouraged storm-ravaged communities to seek higher ground before Wednesday's nor'easter, Chan was among a group who adamantly refused to leave, choosing to stick close to the belongings they have left.

Since the superstorm made landfall more than a week ago, killing 40 people in the city, more than 100 in 10 states and leaving millions without power, police said overall crime has actually gone down, not up. There are few reports of looting storm-damaged homes.

But Alex Ocasio wasn't convinced. The nursing home worker planned to ride out the latest storm in his first-floor Rockaway apartment — even after seeing cars float by his front door during Sandy.

As the water receded, men dressed in dark clothes broke down the door and were surprised to find him and other residents inside. "They tried to say they were rescue workers, then took off," he said.

He put up a handmade sign — "Have gun. Will shoot U" — outside his apartment and started using a bed frame to barricade the door. He has gas, so he keeps on the oven and boils water to stay warm at night. "It gets a little humid, but it's not bad," he said. "I'm staying. Nothing can be worse than what happened last week."

In the Rockaways, one of the worst-hit areas, nightfall brings with it fears of looting, burglaries — even armed robberies. The idyllic seaside boardwalk was in ruins, streets were covered with sand and cars scattered like trash.

"You can't go there after dark anymore," said 57-year-old construction worker William Gavin, pointing to a battered, lower-income section of his beachfront community. "It's a good way to get a gun pulled on you."

Earlier this week, a retired police officer fired warning shots at someone trying to break into her home in the middle of the night, said Sean Kavanagh.

"I don't blame her," said Kavanagh, also a retired officer. "I would have done the same."

Kavanagh says he's staying home, in part to protect it. "I leave and anything can happen," he said. "It's open season."

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said it wasn't wise to stay put.

"I think your life is more important than property," he said.

Kelly said police have arrested 123 people citywide since the storm blew in last week, 54 burglary arrests and 41 others stemming from gas line disputes. Police said the majority were in areas suffering from the storm.

"You would think, under the circumstances, you would see much more," Kelly said. "We haven't seen that."

Burglaries were up 6 percent citywide compared to the same period last year, but overall crime was down 27 percent, police said.

More than 1 million people remained without power on Tuesday, and forecasters said the nor'easter headed to the region on Wednesday could still bring 50 mph winds gusts to New York and New Jersey, an inch of rain and a storm surge of 3 feet.

"I know it's been a long, long eight days," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

by Anonymousreply 38711/06/2012

The storm fallout didn't deter voters in the most battered areas, with heavy turnout in New York and New Jersey. Cuomo had given displaced New Yorkers the right to vote at any polling place in the state.

With the temperatures dropping into the 30s overnight, people in dark, unheated homes were urged to go to overnight shelters or daytime warming centers. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he would ask — but not force — people to leave some low-lying shore areas hit by Sandy ahead of Wednesday's storm.

Later Tuesday evening, the mayor ordered three nursing homes and an adult care facility evacuated from the Rockaways because of fears the weather might knock out electricity already being provided by generators. About 620 residents were being moved.

Bloomberg said in a normal autumn, the storm wouldn't be a big deal and wouldn't warrant evacuations.

But "out of precaution and because of the changing physical circumstances, we are going to go to some small areas and ask those people to go to higher ground," the mayor said.

He was closing parks, playgrounds and beaches, and property owners were ordered to secure construction sites.

Willamae Cooper, 63, rode out Sandy in her apartment in the beachfront Dayton Towers complex in the Rockaways. By Tuesday, Cooper had seen enough. She decided to leave for her daughter's house on Staten Island, rather than have a front row seat to another storm.

"After that first one, God knows what could happen," she said.

by Anonymousreply 38811/06/2012

So what's going on?

Have the hospitals reopened?

Is all the electricity back on?

Has the gas problem been solved?

by Anonymousreply 38911/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.