Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

So...I need Windows for work (proprietary software not compatible with Mac) and I have an iPhone with tons of apps which I really do not need in a larger format.

But...I'm looking at tablets and the iPhone is not doing it for me.

I do not travel very often so 4G LTE is of little interest to me.

I would mostly use a tablet for content (books, movies, magazines, some music).

I am already an Amazon Prime subscriber, mostly for the free two-day shipping.

Is there a compelling reason to get an iPad instead?

Is there a compelling reason NOT to get the wireless only Kindle Fire HD at $314 (without ads and without sales tax)?

by Anonymousreply 2512/19/2012

NO. There's no reason to get and spend $ for an ipad if that's all you need in a tablet. Beong a prime member even more reason not to buy an ipad.

I have the same reasons as you and have ordered the Fire HD 8.9 4g.

My husband has an ipad and loves it. I like it too.

by Anonymousreply 110/25/2012

[quote]But...I'm looking at tablets and the iPhone is not doing it for me.

by Anonymousreply 210/25/2012

I'm disappointed that Apple has decided to be greedy and not sell the new iPad Mini for about the same price as the Kindle Fire HD; therefore I will be buying a Kindle Fire HD soon.

by Anonymousreply 310/25/2012

Hi, OP!

U doin' all right today?

Listen, I don't care what you buy. Really don't.

But based on your needs and penury, I'd that Kindle thing would be about your speed.

by Anonymousreply 410/25/2012

[quote]But based on your needs and penury, I'd that Kindle thing would be about your speed.

Got meth?

by Anonymousreply 510/25/2012

LOL r5.

by Anonymousreply 610/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 710/27/2012

I'd wait for the tablet to be released and for the first reviews. If they are generally positive, the next thing I'd look at are the apps. Are there apps in the Apple world that you really need or want and that don't have Android counterparts? If so, you may want to stick with Apple. Don't forget that you can also get either the iPad Mini or the iPad2 if you want to save money.

If there aren't any missing must-have apps, then I'd say go for it and get the Kindle Fire HD, since you'll save a lot of money and, with Prime, you'll have access to the Kindle Owners' Lending Library and to Prime Instant Video, along with the Amazon cloud player.

by Anonymousreply 810/27/2012

I just have a regular Kindle Fire and since I got it a year ago I hardly ever use my ipad anymore.

by Anonymousreply 910/27/2012

Why, r9? How do the screens compare to each other? And do you have a keyboard for your Kindle?

I want a tablet mostly for books and other content. But I also want to be able to hook up a keyboard and write on it. Just a basic word processing function. I need to sometimes write and email notes remotely for work but I hate schlepping my netbook.

I thought the iPad would be ideal but I'm wondering if a Kindle Fire would be good. Or some other tablet.

by Anonymousreply 1010/27/2012

I have a Kindle fire. I love it for reading the paper and books, and hate it for everything else. Sure, you can surf the web, etc, but it's not as easy as an ipad or an iphone. I use it mostly for books, though, so I'm happy enough with it, but would have bought a mini ipad if the price were more competitive with a Kindle.

by Anonymousreply 1110/27/2012

If you want to browse the web or do any kind of serious keyboard work, you don't want the original Kindle Fire. Either of the Kindle Fire HD tablets would work, though.

by Anonymousreply 1210/27/2012

It's all about your ecosystem, OP.

You don't have Macs, you're already a Prime member - get the Kindle and enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 1310/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 1410/29/2012

LOVE mine! It's fucking awesome!

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

O you have to have a wi-if connection or can you download to the kindle? I take my iPad to the gym and watch content I've downloaded while on the treadmill. I was thinking about getting an iPad mini just cause its smaller and would work perfectly, but if he kindle does the same thing for $150 bucks less ill buy it. My gym doesn't have wi-fi.

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

So, I read that you could by a data plan for the new Kindle Fire HD. Has anyone done this? How well is it to browse with it? Is it compatible with Netflix?

I bought a Samsung Galaxy a couple of years ago and have done almost nothing with it after my initial interest. It is a hassle to update and everything seemed to take forever to figure out. I am also a prime member and figure it will be easier to keep this technology up as Amazon does it for you when the tablet is on.

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

Yes, it is, r17. The data plan is great and he 4g is awesome. $49.00 for 12 month. Can't beat it.

by Anonymousreply 1812/09/2012

OP, bear the following in mind. The companies that study Internet trends find that by far the vast majority of tablets on the Internet are iPads. iPads are about 60% of all tablets sold yet they make up 85% of all tablet Internet traffic. Why the discrepancy? At first they thought people who bought tablets other than the iPad just used their tablets differently. The conclusion they finally came to was that people buy tablets other than the iPad, find that they don't really like them, & end up putting them away in the drawer & not using them. When people buy the iPad they usually like it a lot &, therefore, use it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1912/09/2012

R19, OP wants a tablet mainly for content (books, movies, magazines, some music), not for the internet. The Kindle Fire would therefore be great for him, especially as a Prime subscriber.

R16, ever considered downloading what you want to watch before going to the gym?

by Anonymousreply 2012/09/2012

If you're a Prime member, the Kindle Fire is worth it.

I have the first gen Kindle Fire and an iPad 2, and even though I use the iPad for for apps and games, I do media almost exclusively on the Kindle. Even though it's also a backlit screen, it doesn't seem to bother me for reading as much as it does on the iPad.

Also, the reviews I've read of the Fire HD say that the audio quality is phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 2112/09/2012

PRIME is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 2212/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 2312/19/2012

Can't you use Amazon Prime if you're signed into your Amazon account while using your I-Pad ??

I think I've decided to go with an I-Pad (and will use holiday gift cards and money towards the difference in the purchase price of the Kindle Fire.

by Anonymousreply 2412/19/2012

Nothing beats an iPad. The retina display is awesome. Once you use it you can't read any other way.

I have friends that think the Nexus is fine but then I point out the ghosting when you turn and they get so mad at me, they're like, "I never noticed it before, now that I see it, it bugs the crap out of me."

The Surface has a long way to go to compete. If you want an inferior product, buy something other than an iPad. And the iPad mini IS also an inferior product.

Some people have to shop at the dollar store. Other people prefer to use better merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 2512/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!