Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The original release of Gone with the Wind

Who saw it ?

How was it received ?

Was Clark Gable a sex symbol at the time ?

by Anonymousreply 3404/23/2013

Well this is an interesting post and I hope someone replies that was at the original opening. But considering the movie opened 73 years ago (1939) and even if someone saw it when they were 5 years old....

Well it would give a new meaning to eldergay!

by Anonymousreply 110/22/2012

Went way over r1's head.

by Anonymousreply 210/22/2012

Here ya go....

by Anonymousreply 310/22/2012

My aunt saw it as a little girl; she said it was a life-changing experience.

by Anonymousreply 410/22/2012

[quote]Well it would give a new meaning to eldergay!

We have a bar-friend who will be 81 years old next week. Everybody loves him.

by Anonymousreply 510/22/2012

by Anonymousreply 610/23/2012

Watch the making of gwtw narrated by christopher plummer on the gwtw dvd deluxe version. Wonderful documentary on the making of it, the search for scarlett and the euphoric response to it and the premiere in atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 710/23/2012

Well, I was at the Atlanta premiere of the picture as a guest of Miss Margaret Mitchell. It was wonderful. The kleig lights, the crowds cheering. Clark Gable was so handsome, Vivien Leigh divine.

Afterwards I was talking to Butterfly McQueen, and she asked me if I wanted to go out for a bite. I said sure.

And she bit me.

by Anonymousreply 810/23/2012

Would have been mildly funnier had OP's parody post asked about the original release of Paranormal Activity 4.

But not much.

by Anonymousreply 910/23/2012

Gable initially refused to go to the Atlanta premiere because Hattie McDaniel wasn't allowed to go. He finally relented, but that's why he and Lombard did not go in the same plane with the others.

by Anonymousreply 1010/23/2012

I was so morbidly frightened at the premiere. The thick SWARMS of attendees at the premiere of GWTW about smothered us all. That's all I can recall.

by Anonymousreply 1110/23/2012

Well, it was no "Birth of a Nation," but it came close. After all, Ashley in the KKK isn't something most Yankees seem to remember.

But we do. Yes, we do.

by Anonymousreply 1210/23/2012

This screen test of Gable from that time (I BELIEVE I saw a longer version about 30 years ago), should be the answer to your third question. And yes, with that leather jacket on a big screen, his magnetism/charisma was pretty impressive.

by Anonymousreply 1310/23/2012

Clark Gable had bad breath and a big dick which he didn't know shit about using.

by Anonymousreply 1410/23/2012

My dad, who would be 89, said it was the only movie his parents ever saw in a theatre.

by Anonymousreply 1510/23/2012

[quote] The original release of Gone with the Wind Who saw it ? How was it received ?

I wouldn't know. I wasn't invited to the premiere

by Anonymousreply 1610/23/2012

My grandmother saw GWTW when it came out, and she told me the reaction to it was HUGE. A major cultural event; similar to what Star Wars was many years later. "There was only one Clark Gable" is what she would say.

by Anonymousreply 1710/23/2012

Ditto what R17 said. My Southern grandmother said it was probably THE biggest thing to hit the South since the Civil War. For better or worse, it brought up a time that many Southerners of her generation held deeply in their hearts. And in many Southerner's opinion, it showed the world the Southern perspective that non-Southerners would not have understood.

I'm in my late 40's and just old enough to remember my grandmother telling me that people still talked about someone's ancestors who 'fought on the wrong side' in her day (she was born in 1900). My grandmother constantly referred to "Yankees" in the 1960's and 1970's as though they were foreigners.

It was a different time/era/culture back in 1939. The South even had a few living Civil War veterans who marched in a parade celebrating the premiere of the movie.

And Gable was viewed as RPat x 100,000,000 back in the day. His star power at that time was global and huge. For a STAR to come to Atlanta for the premier was considered HUGE.

by Anonymousreply 1810/23/2012

*I* should've played Scarlett O'Hara. Fuck David O. Selznick!

by Anonymousreply 1910/23/2012

r18 my grandmother talked about Clark Gable as if he was an otherworldly being, even many years after his death. For women of her generation, he was THE star of their era. Nobody else today really compares to what Gable was to my grandmother's generation..

by Anonymousreply 2010/23/2012

David thought the audience wouldn't be able to stand looking at your ... Uh, severe ... looks for three hours, Bette.

He wanted someone who was actually attractive.

And folks wonder why I turned down "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte."

by Anonymousreply 2110/23/2012

My Grandma remembered everyone walking outside during the intermission and talking about the burning of Atlanta scenes. She also felt Scarlett did not get Rhett back.

by Anonymousreply 2210/23/2012

There were intermissions?

by Anonymousreply 2310/23/2012

If you do a Google you can find a documentary about the making of GWTW and screen tests of various actors, including several Scarlettes, Ashley's, Mammys.

by Anonymousreply 2410/23/2012

Longer movies used to have intermissions. I saw the Sound of Music in a re-release in the mid to late seventies, when Maria snuck out during the party to go back to the convent, thee curtain closed (older theater) and there was an intermission.

by Anonymousreply 2510/24/2012

And these were called road shows... reserved seating, programs for sale, ushers showed you to your seats. Movies like GWTW, The Sound of Music, West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia would play on one screen in each city for a year or more. Then the movies would go to smaller markets as general release features.. at popular prices... uncut.. intact.

by Anonymousreply 2610/24/2012

R25, I remember that, too. We also got full-color programs, so you knew you were going to see a special movie. I still have the one my mother kept.

by Anonymousreply 2710/24/2012

Reserved seat movie engagements were operated the same as attending a live theatrical event.

by Anonymousreply 2810/25/2012

I went to those road show screenings with my parents in NYC as a kid. Saw West Side Story, The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady and Thoroughly Modern Millie.

As a freshman in college I saw the road show screening of Funny Girl in Boston.

WEHT those full-color programs we bought?

by Anonymousreply 2910/25/2012

Saw the original reserved seat engagements for "The Sound of Music", "Funny Girl", "Dr. Doolittle", "Oliver!", "Thoroughly Modern Millie", "Fiddler on the Roof" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". All had color programs and intermissions. I think "Fiddler" in 1971 was the last one. We dressed up for the movies. It was like going to a play.

by Anonymousreply 3010/25/2012

I honestly think the reason Leslie Howard was so weak in his role was because Vivien Leigh was a BITCH to ge talong with aside from the traditional factors.

I mean look at his scenes with De Havilland!Not only were they so convincing and Leslie literally became Percy Blakeny (whom appearaed as Ashley as I pictured him when I watched the Leslie Howard version) but the CHEMISTRY between De Havilland and Howard was SMOKING HOT! It felt as though they really were in LOVE with each other!

Honestly even thoughhe was old by that time, I felt if there was a Civil War movie exclusively just between De Havilland and Howard, it would have been HOT CHEMISTRY, dare I say more so than Gable and Leigh portrayed onscreen? I honestly thought the most Romantic bits of the movie were between Ashley and Melanie, not Rhett and Scarlett!

by Anonymousreply 3104/23/2013

A miscast actor can try their best, and sometimes even be good.

But, it wasn't just that Howard was miscast, he was very bad and didn't seem to care.

by Anonymousreply 3204/23/2013

If you observe Howard with De Havilland though, you wouldn't think he was a miscast. If anything I thought he was more Romantic than Gable was. Its just that the story revolved so much around Scarlett and Rhett that the scenes between Melanie and Ashley are so ignored.

by Anonymousreply 3304/23/2013

[quote] Its just that the story revolved so much around Scarlett and Rhett that the scenes between Melanie and Ashley are so ignored.

I don't think so. In fact, I think de Havilland brings a gravitas to her role that makes it seem much greater (in terms of screen time) than in fact it is.

Howard was very bad. I think his worst scene is when Scarlett tells him she wants to run away with him. He seems so lifeless, almost creating a void on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 3404/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!