Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I drove to Florida and knocked on doors for President Obama this weekend.

Tons of opportunities if you are in a state where the election is already decided (I live in Alabama). It's super-organized and the campaign makes it easy.

I knocked on about 75 doors, talked to some interesting people, and felt like I made a difference in the campaign.

I met some fun, passionate young people at headquarters, too. It definitely makes you feel more a part of things.

My visits weren't about convincing - they send you to houses already predisposed to vote for the President. It's more about making sure they know their polling place, that they can vote early and how.

There are Tennessee people going to North Carolina, Mass people spending the day in New Hampshire, and more.

Search for opportunities near you here:

by Anonymousreply 4811/13/2012

Thank you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 210/21/2012

You're a good person, OP. I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 310/21/2012

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 410/21/2012

How much is Karl Rove paying you per post, R1?

by Anonymousreply 610/21/2012

Good for you OP and as R2 said, Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 710/21/2012

Trolldar R5's posts in the thread about possible Romney Supreme Ct. choices...

by Anonymousreply 810/21/2012

Go diddle some altar boys, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1010/21/2012

[quote] I'm a "troll" because I dissent from the lazy, solipsistic liberalism of most datalounge gays?

No, you're not a troll, you're an ASSHOLE.

by Anonymousreply 1110/21/2012

Thank you for posting OP - you are a fine example for what we all should be doing.

by Anonymousreply 1210/21/2012

R9, feeling a bit out of sorts? Yet another spat with Mother today?

by Anonymousreply 1310/21/2012

A blow job for OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 1410/21/2012

That's fantastic, OP! I believe we have a great chance to take FL and NC because of the work of thousands of heroes like you.

Over the past week, I donated $1750 to Priorities USA and another chunk to the Obama for America campaign.

This election is too important not to help in any way we can.

by Anonymousreply 1510/21/2012

Glad to hear it, OP. I am too.

by Anonymousreply 1610/21/2012

Good for you op, we need all the help we can get.

by Anonymousreply 1710/21/2012

Thanks for your service OP.

by Anonymousreply 1810/21/2012

Thank you, OP.

I'm in Oregon which is going blue. I have been posting on websites correcting and offering opposing opinions to the Romney supporters.

by Anonymousreply 1910/21/2012

R5/R9 is a freeper lunatic. Just ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 2010/21/2012

I'm surprised no one gets shot doing this. A lot of trigger happy people in the South.

by Anonymousreply 2110/21/2012

re 21, you are not going to hostile homes, you are going to known democrats and obama supporters to confirm turnout.

I did this in 2008, and most of my time was covering a very low income-predominantly black community in Miami. I assure you, there were NO mccain supporters canvasing the area. Probably the reverse situation in little havana. I do not recall many Obama supporters being assigned that area even if there were democrats. Very hostile area. I would have probably been smacked by an old guys cane or whipped upside the head by old lady handbags for just walking down the street with an obama button on.

by Anonymousreply 2210/22/2012

OP, the vote has already been counted in Florida and they've declared Rmoney the winner. It was close but he won, like the first time dubya won. Like that. So, you are wasting your time.

by Anonymousreply 2310/22/2012

People overall were pretty nice/courteous. A lot poorer than I, to be sure. I had a rural area with trailers on dirt roads. I needed an SUV! Others were in more residential neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 2410/22/2012

Another thanks to the OP. It does matter, and is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 2510/22/2012

Thank you OP.

by Anonymousreply 2610/22/2012

Thank you OP. You did a great service.

by Anonymousreply 2710/22/2012

Thank OP. I did this last election cycle and it was AMAZING. We spoke to people who had never had any interest in voting before and they were getting their whole family and neighbors involved in the process.

One man we spoke to said, "Oh yeah we're registered," then he pointed to their nieghbor's and said "And we took her down yesterday, " then he pointed the other direction "and they're going this afternoon".

It was really heartening to see the general public using their rights and getting involved in the electoral process. This is the kinda thing American is Spose to be. It really happens.

I can't wait to get out the vote again this year.

I highly recommend getting involved. It'll bring a rise into any cynicall jaded heart.

GET OUT THE VOTE!!

by Anonymousreply 2810/22/2012

OP you need to go to Ohio

That is where Obama needs help the most as Obama has dropped 5 points, and Romney has gained 5 points.

by Anonymousreply 2910/22/2012

Thank you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3010/22/2012

Good job, OP. I am going to do some phone bank stuff for Obama this week. I live in MA - which is the opposite of you in Alabama, MA should be a shoo-in for Obama - and we call folks in NH and do the canvassing up there. I spoke to the Obama organizer here in Somerville, MA, and she said that many independents - and some Republicans - in NH are going with Obama.

I feel positive, I really do. I really think that Obama will win - only of course, if the Rethuglicans don't steal the election as they so desperately are trying to do.

by Anonymousreply 3110/22/2012

LOL, R1 made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 3310/22/2012

Please get out there and volunteer, people!

You will feel good about it.

The biggest challenge to getting Obama elected is making sure his voters get to the polls. There are plenty of people who want him to win that think they don't matter or that their votes don't matter.

We need to inform them of the truth.

PLUS the GOP is going out of it's way to intimidate and misinform and defraud U.S. citizens out of their right to vote. We can't let that happen.

Find the Democratic Headquarters in your town and ask how you can help. It won't be too much effort and every little bit goes A LONG WAY. You will feel empowered . You will have bragging rights. You will be attractive to strangers. GO HELP!!!

by Anonymousreply 3410/22/2012

I don't fucking understand these polls. Do people wake up, decide to chaneg their mind and then their phone rings?

by Anonymousreply 3510/22/2012

What happens when Romney canvassers and Obama canvassers pass on the street?

by Anonymousreply 3610/22/2012

I've read that the Obama campaign has a very good organization on the ground. This is a good example. Thanks for posting, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3710/22/2012

Someone did precisely The same thinning to me this weekend-I live in Philly.

by Anonymousreply 3810/22/2012

I hear about people volunteering in Florida and Wisconsin. I hear nothing about Ohio.

I hate that these states get so much money wasted on them... but what about Ohio?

by Anonymousreply 3910/22/2012

I wouldn't want anyone to come door knocking.

And I particularly wouldn't want someone to come door knocking who didn't even live in my State.

by Anonymousreply 4010/22/2012

Good job, OP.

I did the same in a neighboring swing state (VA).

by Anonymousreply 4110/22/2012

Thanks for all your supportive comments. I thought tonight's debate went well.

Voter enthusiasm is THE issue in this election. Take part. Do something. We can win this.

by Anonymousreply 4210/22/2012

i really enjoyed doing this in 2008. Actually I also took pride in registering both democrates and republicans. I really felt like we were pushed to just get people out to vote, regardless of their politics. Some conservatives were shocked I was just as willing to turn in their registration form as democrats.

by Anonymousreply 4310/22/2012

Exactly. I would gladly give GOP voters info as much as Dems, although the addresses were certainly Dem heavy.

by Anonymousreply 4410/22/2012

OP make no mistake you are a hero. I am taking your lead by calling my fellow tarheels(I live in NYC) and explaining what will happen to me if I lose my health care. You have made a difference

by Anonymousreply 4510/22/2012

I always answer my door with the phrase...."Is she a great big fat person?"

by Anonymousreply 4610/23/2012

We are now into the get out the vote mode.

People can't become so over confidence that they don't bother to vote because they don't think it will make any difference.

by Anonymousreply 4710/23/2012

We did it! Yay.

And I took a special pride when Florida went our way this weekend.

Thanks to all of you for all you did.

by Anonymousreply 4811/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.