Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will MSNBC host Chris Matthews cry on election night?

We all know how much he loves President Obama, but if he doesn't win on November 6, I really think the man may have a sort of break down.

The sad thing is that it will be replayed over and over again.

Maybe he'll get pissed off over the first debate, say that's why Obama lost, and surprise us?

Either way, it could make for arresting tv.

by Keith Olbermannreply 2711/09/2012

I hope not.

by Keith Olbermannreply 110/21/2012

Go away, concern troll

by Keith Olbermannreply 210/21/2012

What R2 said.

by Keith Olbermannreply 410/21/2012

Probably, OP. He will, like many of the rest of us, be crying tears of relief as we watch Obama make his acceptance speech, and we watch Mitten conceed. Now fuck off.

by Keith Olbermannreply 610/21/2012

[quote] Obama was an utter disgrace in that first debate

No, he wasn't. A complete exaggeration.

by Keith Olbermannreply 810/21/2012

If Romney is elected, this country will never see another Democrat president in our lifetimes. Reagan began the restructuring of government to favor conservative causes in the 1980s by unfunding a lot of science studies. The baton was picked up in earnest by the congress under Gingrich's influence, and GWB's presidency was a slam dunk for the interest of the wealthy and corporations. The Supreme Court stepped in and did its part with Citizens United to allow the rich to have an over sized influence in political funding.

The deconstruction of Democratic influence will be completed under a Romney administration, and any Democrat reaching national stature will be in token only - a straw man to fight against in elections with pre-determined outcomes.

by Keith Olbermannreply 910/21/2012

Awww, poor R5.

by Keith Olbermannreply 1011/08/2012

Gloating at you, R5.

Not saying a word, my expression says it all….

by Keith Olbermannreply 1111/08/2012

Actually, Chris Matthews started a heated debate after Obama's victory speech.

Rather than cry, he was pissed.

He thought Obama was selfish and ungracious, by not acknowledging the Democratic Party, and most especially for omitting BILL CLINTON who he said worked his butt off for Obama.

Al Sharpton and Rachel Maddow defended Obama as not wanting to be divisive, and that the gratitude would be shown to Clinton in private. But Chris Matthews would hear none of it. He was PISSED.

I can see both sides.

On the one hand, speaking about anything too partisan such as thanking only Democrats and Bill Clinton for the win, would have negated his remarks at the end about not being red states or blue states.

I think people don't get that Obama really isn't a hardcore Democrat. He does try to be "above" party, and tries to unite the country in a post-partisan way.

Granted, he most identifies with Democratic principles, but I wouldn't necessarily classify him as a Liberal. He's definitely more towards the middle.

So Chris was barking up the wrong tree, in forcing Obama to thank the party, the Unions, and Clintons, because that's not the tone Obama was trying to set.

THAT SAID, I do indeed think it was a glaring faux pas to not thank Bill Clinton. If it weren't for all of Clinton's hard work, I dare say Obama might not have gotten re-elected. He needed Clinton - BADLY - coming into the Covention, and after that horrible first debate.

So Chris had an extremely valid point. It would have taken one millisecond to thank Bill Clinton. And Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, for that matter. But he chose to leave them out.

I do agree that it was plain old bad manners, and a bit selfish.

by Keith Olbermannreply 1211/08/2012

Sometimes I wonder if Chris Matthews is secretly gay.

by Keith Olbermannreply 1311/08/2012

Oh, and Chris didn't back down on Wednesday, the day after the election.

He told Joe and Mika on "Morning Joe" that he hated Obama's victory speech.

He's a real Debbie Downer, that Chris Matthews.

by Keith Olbermannreply 1411/08/2012

It's odd because when I was watching Obama's speech, I was thinking the same as Chris. I was watching with my family and they're not very political. I told them he was going to thank Bill Clinton because of all the effort he put in during the campaign. I waited and waited. No acknowledgment from Obama. Bill Clinton's speech at the DNC reinvigorated Obama. Obama blew it at the first debate and Bill once again traveled around swing states to try to pull the working class whites back to Obama. BC's contribution was immeasurable.

Al Sharpton had the nerve to say that "we" (as in black people?) had to get over the divisive that BC created. Sharpton said Obama was gracious in forgiving BC because a lot of AA were angry with him for that. Chris looked incredulous when Al said that.

Al Sharpton does not belong on a "news network." He is still the racebaiter he's always been and it's a joke that he has his own political talk show. Might as well give Pat Robertson a show on Fox.

Obama has always been about himself. Sorry. That's the truth. He didn't even acknowledge the first Asian and Lesbian Senators who won.

by Keith Olbermannreply 1511/08/2012

R15 = racist asshole

by Keith Olbermannreply 1611/08/2012

r16 that's all you guys have. Anyone who remotely criticize Obama is a racist. You don't even know what my nationality is. Refute what I said instead of the ad hominem.

I got all of my apolitical families and friends to vote. I helped them all register to vote. In the case of my family, I even mailed out the form. That's how apolitical they are.

I may not like everything about Obama, but I hated Romney and the GOP more.

So shut the fuck up racebaiter.

by Keith Olbermannreply 1711/08/2012

[quote] Refute what I said instead of the ad hominem.

It is your attacks on Obama that are ad hominem attacks. You say "Obama has always been about himself" but offer no evidence. Meanwhile, there is plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise, including this video where Obama tears up while thanking his campaign workers and telling them how proud he is of them. "Only about himself" my ass.

[quote] I got all of my apolitical families and friends to vote. I helped them all register to vote.

It sounds like *YOU* are the one who is full of himself. If you're so damn proud of your own efforts to get people to vote, then you should be praising Al Sharpton. Sharpton worked tirelessly throughout the campaign to fight the GOP's voter suppression efforts and help get out the vote. His show on MSNBC, more so than other news show, put the spotlight on the issue of voter suppression. Where the fuck do you get off comparing him to an idiot like Pat Robertson?

I stand by what I said. You're a racist asshole.

by Keith Olbermannreply 1811/08/2012

I thought it was reported that the President had talked to President Clinton and thanked him?

It was not the place and time to have a Democratic pep rally. He was trying to bring the country together after a very divisive and hard fought Presidential election.

Had the President had done that, the beltway media and pundits would have accused the President of being too partisan!

As a die-hard FDR style Democrat, I say the POTUS and Washington Democrats should have that celebration at another place and time.

You can never make everybody happy no matter what you do or don't do; life lesson!

by Keith Olbermannreply 1911/08/2012

Agreed R15, he's an extortionist.

by Keith Olbermannreply 2011/08/2012

It was Obama's night, not Bill Clinton's. Bill has had plenty of publicity. Bill's help and support is well known.

by Keith Olbermannreply 2111/08/2012

R20, WTH are you talking about?

You sound like Coulter and the gang @FOX!

by Keith Olbermannreply 2211/08/2012

r18 you want to know why I said Obama has always been about himself it's because he has always been about himself. At the age of 34, he wrote an autobiography. Less than one term in the Senate and he's running for President.

It's stupid how I've been posting here for over a year and have posted on most of the political threads lambasting Romney and agreeing that Obama needs to be elected and if I dare say one negative thing about Obama's omission of Clinton in his speech and how Al Sharpton brought back race, suddenly I'm a racist asshole.

This racist asshole got 10 family and extended family members to vote down party (Dem) line; 5 friends and coworkers to vote for Obama in freaking Republican Orange County, CA.

You can support some candidate and be critical of the things they do. I love Hillary, but I disagree with her on foreign policy. Does that mean I'm a misogynist, too?

by Keith Olbermannreply 2311/08/2012

[quote] It's stupid how I've been posting here for over a year and have posted on most of the political threads lambasting Romney and agreeing that Obama needs to be elected

[quote] This racist asshole got 10 family and extended family members to vote down party (Dem) line; 5 friends and coworkers to vote for Obama in freaking Republican Orange County, CA

It really is all about YOU, isn't it?

by Keith Olbermannreply 2411/08/2012

Yes. r24. Yes it is. Obama and I have that in common.

by Keith Olbermannreply 2511/08/2012

I totally agree with you about Sharpton, r15. He has a short memory but those of us who supported Hillary in the 2008 primary do not. Race baiter is one of the kindest things you can say about him. That said, I do agree with the other posters who said Obama's speech set the right tone in stressing inclusion and forgiveness. We have to put our differences aside and work on the problems that face us as a nation. I really believe Obama believes that. As for Bill Clinton, he knows how much the base loves him. Look for Obama to offer him an advisory role in his administration. Perhaps to Michelle's dismay.

by Keith Olbermannreply 2611/09/2012

I think the real "thank you" will come in 2016.

Bill Clinton didn't work his ass off for nothing. There are political ramifications and some definite PAYBACK due to the Clintons, from Obama.

I'm guessing that if/when push comes to shove, Obama will be forced to endorse Hillary over Joe Biden, no matter what.

It's going to be a real catfight, but I'm assuming Joe Biden knows how it works, so there won't be too much bad blood.

by Keith Olbermannreply 2711/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!