Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Windows 8! OMG!

I just tried a demo version today and I think, after all these many years, I will finally bite the bullet and get a Macbook Pro as my next laptop.

by Anonymousreply 26503/09/2014

Why say you that, OP?

by Anonymousreply 110/20/2012

OP, how about you try a little patience. If you switch, you're going to have to re-learn things too.

Windows 8 works best on new hardware designed for Windows 8. If you don't want to learn new things in order to take advantage of the new features, just don't upgrade your existing hardware.

Windows 8 has a learning curve, but it's worth it. ESPECIALLY if you use Windows 8 on touch-based hardware (or get a touch-based mouse for an existing desktop).

If you tried to use Windows 8 without anyone telling you the basic ideas, I can understand how and why you'd be frustrated or scared.

If you have questions, I'm willing to answer. I've been using Windows 8 for a few months on my regular Dell non-touch laptop, and I've played with it on a touch tablet.

by Anonymousreply 210/20/2012

Welcome to the family, OP.

by Anonymousreply 310/20/2012

lol Windows 8 simply has the app layer on top of the OS - the desktop is still there, it is now just an app, apps you can add to, like twittro - a metro twitter app, email etc..all of them are tiles. It is not true you need new hardware, I run it on my travel laptop which is a core2duo with 4 gb of ram and it runs just great. It takes advantage of new hardware advances better than any previous os has virus software included, it is seamless between tablet, phone and desktops and laptops.

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2012

I never said you NEED new hardware. But it's a fact you'll find the OS a lot easier to learn and use on hardware specifically designed for it, which is touch-capable.

Windows 8 shines on touch-tablet form-factors. But it's perfectly usable even on very old hardware (it uses less memory, and is a lot faster, than Windows 7 on the same hardware).

The trick is learning where everything is.

by Anonymousreply 510/20/2012

OP?

Well?

What are your questions? What bothered you? Hello?

by Anonymousreply 610/20/2012

OP--why go there?

I'm an Apple fan-boi. My home computer is a MacBook Pro. My work computer is a MacBook Pro. My job is an iPhone app.

I've spent years as a Windows developer. I love the Windows environment.

I also love the Macintosh environment.

If I was forced to choose between one or the other, I would jettison one with no looking back.

If I were Sophie in "Sophie's Choice," I could have made my choice in a millisecond.

So you have weighed in on the big "Big Endian" vs. "Little Endian" argument, which can leave you, at best, looking Lilliputian. Enjoy what you've got. Pissing off opposing fan-bois is not going to add anything to your life.

by Anonymousreply 710/21/2012

OP I saw the demos of it and youtube videos, and I talked to friends of mine who work with computers and they said just to keep windows 7.

by Anonymousreply 810/21/2012

I don't want to have to use my laptop screen as a touchscreen. I want to use the keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 910/21/2012

r7 here I use a laptop sometimes too R9 and that's why I didn't upgrade to windows 8 even though I just got it about a month ago.

by Anonymousreply 1010/21/2012

And that is why I just bought a new computer last week while I could still get it with Windows 7. I figure by the time I need to replace it, W8 will be a fading, distant memory, replaced by a much more user-friendly OS, in the same way that Vista was replaced by W7, and WindowsME was replaced by XP.

I do wish I could have gotten the new computer with XP, though.

by Anonymousreply 1110/21/2012

Windows 8 doesn't force you to type on the screen. You can use any keyboard you want.

It works just fine on regular desktops, with keyboards & mice.

Windows 8 adds new multi-monitor features, faster boot/sleep/resume/shut-down, new improvements to syncing (laptop and desktop apps, settings, favorites, etc), improved File Management, integrated SkyDrive storage (every Microsoft Account comes with 7GB of SkyDrive storage free), XBox Music streaming, built in anti-virus & anti-malware software, new "File History" backups, etc.

Just be aware that there's a huge difference between "Windows 8" and "Windows RT".

"Windows RT" runs on the ARM chip, like android tablets and similar to the iPad. It cannot install any new desktop apps, but comes with Office 2013 Home & Student pre-installed.

"Windows 8" can run anything WinRT can run, plus all the normal Windows 7 desktop apps... just like Windows 7.

Both support a huge range of hardware, but Windows 8 will have deeper support for legacy hardware.

So just make sure you understand what you're buying.

The only way to get Windows RT is to buy it pre-installed with new hardware. Just like an iPad. There is no 'upgrade'.

You can buy Windows 8 pre-installed, plus you can buy a Windows 8 upgrade that will upgrade any version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) to Windows 8 Pro.

by Anonymousreply 1210/21/2012

Windows 8 finally gets rid of the annoying right-click menu and vertical scrolling. Side to side scrolling only is much more efficient.

by Anonymousreply 1310/21/2012

OP, are you posting from Turkmenistan? The rest of the world realized that Microsoft software is shit sometime in 2003.

by Anonymousreply 1410/21/2012

[quote]I do wish I could have gotten the new computer with XP, though.

Okay, you're just an idiot. Jesus. It's a ten year old OS, with shitty drivers, lots of blue-screens, an awful user interface, and it's horribly insecure.

I cannot fathom why anyone would want to use it when they could use Windows 7.

by Anonymousreply 1510/21/2012

I'm just gonna stick with 7. I read on DL that when dealing with Microsoft Operating Systems to just go with every other one.

by Anonymousreply 1610/21/2012

Windows 8 is designed for "landscape" monitors... like most desktops. So you hold Win8 tablets in wide-screen format, unlike the iPad. And it's designed to easily navigate with your thumbs. It uses the edges of the screen for system functions... swipe in from the left to switch apps, swipe in from the right to access system menus (printing, searching, sharing, settings), and swipe in from the top or bottom to access applictaion-specific menus. It's really fast and natural when you do it that way.

If you're on a laptop, you can use your trackpad to do the same sort of gestures you use on a touch-screen, so it's still easy to navigate.

If you're using a keyboard and mouse, instead of using the edges, it uses the corners. Upper left corner to switch apps, lower-left to get back to the start screen, and either right-side corner to get to the system-specific menus ("charms") for sharing, searching, settings, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1710/21/2012

[/quote]I cannot fathom why anyone would want to use it when they could use Windows 7.

Because they are too old to be using a computer R15. Most of the posting population of DL is barely breathing these days...

by Anonymousreply 1810/21/2012

Actually, R14, your perceptions seem to be from around 1999

by Anonymousreply 1910/21/2012

[quote]I'm just gonna stick with 7. I read on DL that when dealing with Microsoft Operating Systems to just go with every other one.

...and DL is such a fountain of accurate information (rolling eyes).

by Anonymousreply 2010/21/2012

R20, DL seems to have a good grasp on tech shit. I trust the geek queens on here.

by Anonymousreply 2110/21/2012

It's getting remarkably bad reviews. People are by baffled by it.

by Anonymousreply 2210/21/2012

R22, true and false. It's getting great reviews too.

There are people who hate change, and people who embrace it.

by Anonymousreply 2310/21/2012

why would you bother using something that is a poor imitation of a MAC in the first place? pointless.

by Anonymousreply 2410/21/2012

A review that's 4.5 out of 5 for Windows 8:

by Anonymousreply 2510/21/2012

R24, it's not a poor imitation of the mac (except in apple fanboy minds), so...

by Anonymousreply 2610/21/2012

Another 4.5 out of 5 review:

by Anonymousreply 2710/21/2012

R27, here are some comments posted at the good review:

I spent a few hours using Win8 today. The most annoying thing to me, is the fact that we've all gotten used to big screens on our desks, and firing up a metro version of messenger and having it go ONLY full screen on 27" of real estate is ridiculous. Then if you want email, you switch and it goes full screen only. Then you have to switch back and forth. In my daily work life I have half a dozen apps open and visible at once. You simply can't do that with Metro apps. It's basically one app at a time. May work on a tiny tablet, but on a 27" screen, it's unusable. It reminds me of the program switchers we used to use before Windows got popular. I just don't get it.

And yes I know it has a desktop, but why do I want to run half my programs on the desktop and then half in Metro? Microsoft should have followed Apple on this one.... make an tablet OS and a separate desktop OS and share features only where it makes sense.

-----

I've installed the the customer preview on a notebook. Thoughts: Can see that it will probably work on phones/tablets. for those into social media and web based email, perhaps. For me on a traditional desktop with its a no brainer - NO thanks! I've absolutely no interest in social media, music or watching video on a PC so everything on the metro interface is pretty much a waste of space. I want the traditional desktop, start button and all the ususl bells and whistles Windows has. If I have to devote the energy to finding my way around a new OS it will be Linux.

As for the Metro interface, well given that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, its ugly beyond belief.

------

After running this on 2 PC’s to test the performance I have decided that the interface is the turnoff for me. I play EverQuest II like a PC dinosaur of the 90′s and watch movies.

I don’t need to share my crap with people, I don’t need to touch my screen…and finally…I don’t think I should have to sign into 4 online services just to log into my PC. Look at this people…they are taking away the functional idea of a game-dedicated PC that is NOT used for any internet/social media. Essentially I see an OS made for a half-brained, cell phone addicted generation that likes to have no customization choices because that would too much to deal with…

by Anonymousreply 2810/21/2012

I predict a lot of people will be thinking like you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2910/21/2012

R28, that first comment just makes me laugh.

Seriously, if you're using big screens on the desktop... use desktop apps. The guy is whining about nothing. Set your defaults to use the desktop mail, video, etc., apps of your choice, You never need to go full screen if you don't want to.

The guy even asks "why would I want to do what I'm doing?" ... well duh, you obviously don't. So don't do that.

As for the second comment: again... so don't use Metro apps. Stay on the desktop. You have everything you have in Win7, plus a bunch of new cool stuff. What's the whining about?

The third reply is just a luddite who would bitch and moan about any change, let alone a big one like Win8. Even though Win8 has some great new support for better games and graphics.

Look... I don't get why people get upset over being "forced" to use metro apps. If you don't want to use them, don't. You can easily configure things so you stay on the desktop 99% of the time. If that's what you want, it's there.

by Anonymousreply 3010/21/2012

r15, in the ten years I had XP I never once got a blue screen of death, which I got constantly with Windows ME.

In less than two weeks I've already gotten a blue screen of death with my new Windows 7 computer. This does not bode well.

Oh, and r15, the W7 interface is very similar to XP's interface. Just because it's new does NOT mean it's better.

I do not want to have to change the way I operate my computer to the way Microsoft thinks I should, just because it looks so nifty on tablets and phones. My computer is NOT a tablet, and NOT a phone and I do not want to have to take my hands off the keyboard to stretch way across my desk to reach the screen. It's awkward and wastes time. And that is barely even scratching the surface.

Apparently Microsoft forgot one of the basic tenets of business:

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!

by Anonymousreply 3110/21/2012

I loved XP and never had a problem with it in 7 years. I LOVE Win 7 although it took a tiny bit of learning but it was quick. I don't know that I like this new WIN8 thing. I watched some vids on YT and I'm seriously thinking of buying a new lap with WIN7 while I still can.

by Anonymousreply 3210/21/2012

I manage all of my files and programs using windows explorer. Does Win 8 still have that program? Can I still make a shortcut to it on my task bar? If so, I don't care what else they did with it. I'm not interested in moving tiles on my desktop computer.

by Anonymousreply 3310/21/2012

[quote]In less than two weeks I've already gotten a blue screen of death with my new Windows 7 computer. This does not bode well.

You either have failing hardware, or you need to update your drivers. Those are the only two things I've ever seen cause blue-screens under windows 7. It's not the OS... it's the hardware or the drivers.

[quote]Oh, and R15, the W7 interface is very similar to XP's interface. Just because it's new does NOT mean it's better.

Except in this case, the Win7 interface is WAY better. Faster, more powerful, more efficient, more functional.

[quote]I do not want to have to change the way I operate my computer to the way Microsoft thinks I should, just because it looks so nifty on tablets and phones. My computer is NOT a tablet, and NOT a phone and I do not want to have to take my hands off the keyboard to stretch way across my desk to reach the screen. It's awkward and wastes time. And that is barely even scratching the surface.

Blah blah blah. All I hear is petulant whining. Nobody said your computer was a tablet or a phone. Jesus, what is wrong with you people? You get so bent out of shape and outraged over imaginary things.

Win8 has a ton more hot-keys meaning you can do a lot more without your fingers leaving the keyboard... and you're whining about the exact opposite. Just like Win7 had a lot more keyboard short-cuts than XP.

by Anonymousreply 3410/21/2012

r33 I think it has an icon on the desktop, from what I saw in the YT vids.

by Anonymousreply 3510/21/2012

[quote]I manage all of my files and programs using windows explorer. Does Win 8 still have that program?

Yes.

[quote]Can I still make a shortcut to it on my task bar?

Yes.

[quote]If so, I don't care what else they did with it. I'm not interested in moving tiles on my desktop computer.

The "tiles" are just the new "start menu". The old start menu is gone, replaced by a full-screen start-screen. You can organize it in any way you want, remove anything you don't want or need, change the sizes, group them, name the groups, etc.

But yes, you can still pin anything to the task bar (and the task bar can now stretch across multiple monitors if you want), you can still have short-cuts on your desktop, etc.

There is very little that you can do in Win7 that you cannot do in Win8. And there's a lot you can do in Win8 that you can't do in Win7 (or Vista, or XP).

by Anonymousreply 3610/21/2012

Is it possible to have Windows 8 but the old style desktop? Do they have a switch for the old farts like me who are not interested in learning new software?

by Anonymousreply 3710/21/2012

[quote]Is it possible to have Windows 8 but the old style desktop?

The old style desktop still exists. But it's slightly different. There's no start button or start menu, for instance. You use the new start-screen for that functionality (move your mose to the lower-left corner and click, or tap the "Windows" key).

[quote]Do they have a switch for the old farts like me who are not interested in learning new software?

No. You still need to learn where things have moved and how the new start screen works. Though there are some third party companies that are providing replacements for the old start-button and menu, for those closed minded folks that don't want to learn the new way of doing things.

Thinks like the power/shut-down/restart have moved (bring up the charms bar on the right, click the power button). You'll spend a few days getting used to where a few things have moved.

But beyond that, the desktop is intact. If you (or you can have someone do it for you) configure things right, you can pretty much ignore the metro stuff, except for the start screen.

by Anonymousreply 3810/21/2012

Thanks for the insult. I really appreciate it. I've been using PCs for almost 30 years. When new things were worth learning, I've embraced them. But when they were just techie bullshit, I haven't. I'll have a look at Windows 8, but it sounds like techie bullshit to me.

Why do I say that? Because Microsoft has done some things right, but they've also done a lot wrong. For example, they've packed Office so full of new features that it's pointless to use. Therefore, I switched to Open Office because it's much easier to use.

I don't have a hardon for the Start button. But it does work well. I'm used to it. You know, like I'm used to how a car or a refrigerator or a faucet works.

I don't see any great need to reinvent a laptop computer. It sounds like a desperate move on Microsoft's part.

by Anonymousreply 3910/21/2012

[quote]you need to update your drivers.

This is the shit that just makes me glad I'm a turn on, turn off Mac person. The Mac OS isn't perfect by any means, but the 'just works' promise still holds true. Have never had a crash in 7 years.

But I would still like to take who is charge of iOS and beat them around the head for the way photo orientations are handled on iPhone! Every second photo I take and email is upside down.

Does Windows still ask you to confirm if you want to do a task such as closing a window after you've clicked a button to close the window? That nonsense made me grind my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 4010/21/2012

Trolldar R30 and be unsurprised at how this thread turns 50% yellow.

by Anonymousreply 4110/21/2012

Well R11, get a Technet subscription and download a full retail version of Windows XP SP3 and use that. It doesn't cost much more than buying a retail upgrade plus you can get your Office licenses and a whole lot more.

I don't know what you're bitching about.

by Anonymousreply 4210/21/2012

THE BAD =======

Windows 8 is Vista all over again. It's an OS that's better than its predecessor in some ways, but much worse than others.

Windows 8 is Microsoft being very arrogant and trying to force people to move to new hardware, just like Vista was.

Windows 8 Microsoft attempting to copy Apple instead of concentrating on their core strengths. Here's a clue: Business.

Windows 8 is Microsoft ignoring the fact that their biggest fans are geeks: techies, developers, programmers. It's a company in denial that it lost Joe Public to Apple... 3 years ago.

Windows 8 should have been called Windows Surface and only been released on that device or compatibles, with Desktop (i.e. broken Windows 7) available as an app rather than prominently there reminding everyone how much nicer it is to work in Windows 7.

Windows 8 is Microsoft forgetting that Vista taught their customers they can easily skip a new OS in order to wait for the next one.

Windows 8 is two OS environments poorly bolted together in a way that makes no sense.

THE GOOD ========

Windows 8 has a nice new log in screen.

Windows 8 is faster.

Windows 8 works pretty well on touch-screen devices.

Windows 8 tiles are pretty cool.

Windows 8 is priced reasonably.

---------------

This is where R30 et al writes a long diatribe answering all my accusations. He can argue all he likes, the fact is Windows 8 isn't going to be a success. I'd be willing to place money on it.

by Anonymousreply 4310/21/2012

Apple is also trying to make their laptops act like tablets/iPhones and it's fucking ridiculous. So ridiculous in fact that I just purchased a 2-year old used Macbook Pro to replace my brand spankin' new one because I want to go back to using Snow Leopard (which the new MBP's will not run, conveniently). If I wanted my computer to act like a fucking iPhone, I'd buy a fucking iPhone. Maddening!

by Anonymousreply 4410/21/2012

Whatever the merits or de-merits of Windows 8, all of this "BIG BAD MICROSOFT" talk is so '90s, Especially since "poor li'l ole Apple" has usurped them and proven they can be just as cavalier towards their customers - if not worse. That people still think Apple is some grand, utopian oasis in the tech field is ridiculous. They're just as good at turning out half-baked, over-priced crap as anybody else.

by Anonymousreply 4510/21/2012

[quote]They're just as good at turning out half-baked, over-priced crap as anybody else.

Those are features!

Sent from my iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 4610/21/2012

[quote]I don't have a hardon for the Start button. But it does work well. I'm used to it. You know, like I'm used to how a car or a refrigerator or a faucet works.

As if those things matter to Portlandians like R38.

by Anonymousreply 4710/21/2012

The Windows 8 shill is hilarious, if only because of his inept attempts to disguise his shilling.

by Anonymousreply 4810/21/2012

It's not an operating system, it's a lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 4910/21/2012

All Windows 8 is is a shift to how we use devices now. Everything is an app. Like how your android, and Iphones work. The desktop of 7 is still there miuse the start button but it is just an app like everything else. You can move and edit tiles so you are not bombarded. Arrange them to work for you. I see my twitter feeds, email, stocks, weather, etc all from a glance. there is an app store where you can download tons of free apps just like your phones. And the desktop, like I said is always a click away if you want it back. Hell Samsung even makes an app that gives you the start button back.

by Anonymousreply 5010/21/2012

[quote] Trolldar [R30] and be unsurprised at how this thread turns 50% yellow.

You've gotta admire the Windows 8 shill's persistence. He/she is on a mission. This is about the fifth or sixth DL thread we've had on Windows 8, and every time, the shill has monopolized the thread with posts that sound like they were copied and pasted straight from a Microsoft press release.

by Anonymousreply 5110/21/2012

Thank you, R15 I recently built a cousin of mine a new machine with Windows 7, and threw in a rather nice Dell 24" monitor for good measure. Rather than appreciating the gesture, its been one bitch after another about how she misses XP (and her hideous 1996 P3 HP desktop, apparently). I even got her unsupported printer to work on 7. Oh well, you know what they say about the road to Hell.

I can't say that I'm mad about the new W8 interface (dump the teal already, MS!), but as I use it, I'm finding more to like about it. I have the latest release candidate running on an orphaned P4 laptop and with the exception of a missing driver for the video system, I haven't had a single issue with it.

As for the folks running out to buy a Win7 machine..that OS isn't going anywhere soon. And you'll most likely be able to get a very favorably priced upgrade to W8 for your new machine. I wonder if dual-boot will be an option with W8-has anyone here tried it yet?

And the XP holdouts, how can you not be sick of it after all this time? If you had to install it from my copy of XP Pro 2002 (pre-SP1), with the F6 option and hundreds of updates to look forward to, your ardor would fade faster than a chain store patio umbrella. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 5210/21/2012

Ooops..make that a 1999 P3. And I'd still rather break concrete than spend a second with the damned thing.

by Anonymousreply 5310/21/2012

[quote]I wonder if dual-boot will be an option with W8-has anyone here tried it yet?

I used the Developer version for a while. You could dual-boot with that.

I liked it, but it's clearly designed more for tablets and laptops than for desktops. Eventually, I cleared it out.

Sent from my iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 5410/21/2012

For the last time, i'm not a shill.

I'm a person with actual experience on the topic, trying to answer questions, and disabuse people of misundertandings. I'm here to help. Jesus. What is with tin-hat conspiracy theorists that see "shills" around every corner? If you're not attacking and ripping something to shreds, you're a shill? Are you even listening to yourself?

But back on topic, please...

And R52, I dual boot Win7 & Win8 all the time on my old Dell laptop. Works fine.

And you're right. You'll be able to get machines with Win7 for a long time if that's what you want. Businesses will insist on it, for starters. You'll be able to "downgrade" new hardware with it if you want. Yes, you'll pay extra for the privilege.

However, on most new hardware, designed with Win8 in mind, I can imagine it would be a pretty frustrating experience. There's a reason Windows 7 never took off on tablet/touch-screen form factors.

The point I've been trying to make is that if you only want the desktop and don't care about the tablet form-factor or the new "metro" style apps, you can have that with Windows 8. You'll have to do some extra configuration out of the box, and there are a few aspects of the new UI you'll never eliminate entirely... but there's a full desktop environment, and it's improved in many ways over Windows 7. And for laptop users, you'll see better battery life and everything will be faster.

There's a lot of misinformation out there, and a lot of unnecessary fear and angst as well. I'm just trying to help with that, given I have experience.

No, I do not work for Microsoft, and no I'm not a "shill". I *am* a software developer who works with Microsoft products for a living though, and I need to make my stuff work on their platforms. So I have experience using it. I'm just offering my experience here... what's easy, what's hard, etc.

Trust me, when I sat down in front of Win8 for the first time, I was as befuddled as anyone else. But I learned it, and hopefully I can help spare others a frustrating experience by sharing what I learned.

And yeah, ayb, I could debunk a lot of the points in your post. Apparently you have no interest in that. You'd rather believe ridiculous nonsense, so I'll just let you.

by Anonymousreply 5510/21/2012

I miss XP too, r11.

by Anonymousreply 5610/21/2012

R55 - I've appreciated what you've actually said. I think with W8 it's the fact that there's a learning curve. Anything different will have one. People might not like it, now, but three years from now I'm guessing people won't even remember W7 or XP.

by Anonymousreply 5710/21/2012

I will not deal with Windows again until Steve Ballmer retires or dies of a painful disease.

Every single product Windows makes has been tainted by his financial 'vision'.

If you were making a movie, Steve Ballmer would be the asshole telling you to add or delete characters for the action figure tie-in opportunities.

If you wrote a song, Steve Ballmer would force you to give Ke$ha song-writing credit - just because.

If you wrote software, Steve Ballmer would insert a bug just so users have to register online to obtain the fix.

by Anonymousreply 5810/21/2012

His soul-mate:

by Anonymousreply 5910/21/2012

I think three years from now, Win7 will still be in plenty of use actually. I don't think businesses are going to jump on the Windows 8 bandwagon. The retraining costs alone would prevent it... besides, most JUST moved from XP to Win7.

Windows 8 is Microsofts play to regain market-share in the consumer space, and to gain ANY share in the tablet space. I think it will be modestly successful, but I don't think Apple has too much to worry about. If it takes a bite out of anyone, it'll probably be Android tablets.

I think that there's a good synergy for all-Microsoft homes like mine (I use Windows on my PCs at home, and have an XBox)... just like ther'es a good synergy for all-Apple homes (who have macs, and an AppleTV, and iPhones). In fact, I plan to trade in my iPhone for a Nokia 920 to see just how it goes.

But mostly, I like competition. Windows 8 Is not a "copy" of the iPad or OS X. It's its own thing. It's unique and different. And it will push Apple to innovate, which is a good thing. Just as Apple has pushed Microsoft into this entire re-inventioning of themselves as a company.

by Anonymousreply 6010/21/2012

I'll probably buy it. I like new stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6110/21/2012

The price is sure right: $39 for upgrading any version of windows.

Just make sure to read a bunch of "how to" articles so you don't feel lost when you first sit down. MS includes a brief "introduction" video, but it's not enough.

And R58? I totally feel your pain on Steve Balmer. I loathe him.

by Anonymousreply 6210/21/2012

[quote]And yeah, ayb, I could debunk a lot of the points in your post. Apparently you have no interest in that. You'd rather believe ridiculous nonsense, so I'll just let you.

Honey, if you're who I think you are and think Bing is good as you said in a previous thread- I can take [italic]anything[/italic] you say with a pinch of salt.

No offence, but really. It invalidates your opinions on Microsoft. It makes you an MS fanboy. And I say this as someone who hates Apple with a passion.

You're just as bad as the Mactards, but on the other team. I don't [italic]hate[/italic] it, but your arrogant insistence that it's good and we're just wrong smells like Bing and Vista again. Vista wasn't as horrible as everyone said by SP3, but once 7 came out it looked like shoddy bloatware- a half-idea.

The Bing 'Pepsi challenge' was MS once again being arrogant and treating its consumer base like idiots rather than doing the decent thing and realising that Google is a verb and will never be usurped and their attempt to do so makes them look greedy and pathetic. Guess what? Even BLIND, I preferred Google.

Marketing fail.

And don't even get me started on the Metro interface being applied to Server. Utterly horrible. It's like they WANT to fail.

by Anonymousreply 6310/21/2012

[quote]Trolldar [[R30]] and be unsurprised at how this thread turns 50% yellow.

So what, the person is answering questions, It's called conversation, ya Dick.

by Anonymousreply 6410/21/2012

Great stuff, Voice, R55 & R60. You can share my French toast.

R58 R59 ruined it for me (g)

by Anonymousreply 6510/21/2012

When is the actual release date? I want it now!

by Anonymousreply 6610/21/2012

Friday.

Make 'em work nights!

by Anonymousreply 6710/21/2012

[quote]People might not like it, now, but three years from now I'm guessing people won't even remember W7 or XP.

Bitch please. Im using XP right now on my home desktop, 10 years strong. It is the pinnacle of Microsoft's achievements, now and forever!

by Anonymousreply 6810/21/2012

I didn't say people wouldn't be using it, R68. But good luck with the ongoing support (or lack thereof).

by Anonymousreply 6910/21/2012

[quote]but there's a full desktop environment, and it's improved in many ways over Windows 7

Please tell me about those improvements, R55. If I thought it was worthwhile, I might consider buying it for my desktop and laptop. I don't have an iPhone or an iPad or any other kind of tablet (not a gadget person) so I don't care about apps or any of that other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 7010/21/2012

I refuse to go beyond XP. I hate learning a new system over and over.

by Anonymousreply 7110/21/2012

AYB goes off on another of his tangential rants. Whatever. (rolling eyes).

But back on topic:

R70, there's a dramatically improved Task Manager, more and better stats gathered on running processes, disk usage, network usage monitoring, and a bunch of technical stuff, if that interests you. It's a dramatic improvement over Win7.

The Windows Explorer is improved. There's a ribbon interface that's optional, which surfaces a lot of existing functionality you might not have known about, but it can stay out of your way if you hate the ribbon UI.

Native USB3.0 support, native .ISO and .VHD mounting/burning/etc., FAR better file-copy/move UI, with easier "conflict resoultion" when file names collide.

If you have a laptop and a desktop, you can now log in with a microsoft account (any email address, essentially), and all Win8 devices you log into with that account can have settings and favorites and things "roam"/sync with you. Metro Apps can also sync, but desktop apps won't.

Also, it boots a lot faster, shuts down a lot faster, goes to sleep and resumes from sleep a lot faster (my old Dell laptop resumes from sleep faster than I can lift the lid). It runs better than Win7 on the same hardware.

There's a new feature called "Storage Spaces" which allows you to define a virtual disk that is backed up by USB external hard drives in a rundant and secure way... basically like "RAID", only far more flexible. You can plug in a few drives, and your data can be transparently duplicated across them, so if one drive fails, you don't lose anything. And you can hot-plug drives at-will too. Need more storage? Plug in another drive, and it auto-expands. It's pretty sweet for things like home media servers, etc.

And "backup/restore", while it still exists if you want to use it, has been replaced by "File History", which is a much more intuitive, easy to use file backup system. By default it's turned off, and it requires either an external or a network drive to backup to, but it's very simple and pretty powerful.

One of the best improvements, imho, is Windows update. It no longer will arbitrarily reboot your PC at seemingly random times, or force you to wait ten minutes when all you want to do is shut down. It now runs once a month on a predictable schedule, and you get notifications at least three days ahead before any reboot is needed, so you can either "do it at your leisure" or at least be well informed as to when it's going ot do it. The result is that it's way less intrusive, and way less likely to piss you off.

If you use multiple monitors on your desktop (I do at work, but not at home), you have new options, like being able to replicate the task bar on all monitors, or extend the task bar across all monitors, select different background wallpapers on each monitor, have rotating wallpapers that are tailored to the monitor orientation (i.e. it automatically chooses portrait-oriented pictures for portrait monitors, etc). There are new "themes" and customization options in all cases.

For laptops, it uses less power, so your battery should last longer than under Win7, and it includes a lot of new network monitoring features so you can keep track of your usage (if you use a 3G or 4G/LTE card or dongle, it can keep track of your expense, and auto-route network requests to the cheapest network avialable at the time).

There's deep integration with "the cloud" in the form of SkyDrive (which appears as just another drive in Windows Explorer). You get 7GB free storage, and can buy more. Anything in the cloud can obvious "roam" with you from device to device (desktop, laptop, tablet, Windows Phone 8, and other phones with the SkyDrive app). It looks and acts just like a hard drive, though obviously slower (limited by the speed of your connection).

by Anonymousreply 7210/21/2012

Oh, and there's also push-button reset/restore, which allows you to return your PC/Device to factory-installed settings at a touch of a button, very rapidly. You'll lose your desktop apps (you'll need to re-install them), but you'll keep all your files and data, and your metro apps. Beyond that, you can create a basline to restore from... so configure your system exactly the way you want it, 'fresh', and you can save the image. And restore to that image at the touch of a button (including desktop apps). For those that need to "ghost" and re-image computers, it's pretty cool.

There's much better search (with an exception or two)... while a lot of people seem to hate the "start screen", if you consider it just the replacement for the start-menu, and the center from which to search your entire PC (including any metro apps that you install), it's not bad at all. Just tap the "windows" key, type the name of a control panel feature, setting, application, file name, or even anything in file contents, and boom... the results are there. It's very fast and efficient.

There's also a handy desktop "power menu"... if you move to the lower-left corner with the mouse (the place you'd go to get back to the start screen by left-clicking), and RIGHT click, you get a power menu that will take you anywhere in the system pretty easily... control panel, computer properties, network center, device/disk management, explorer, power-options, etc.

There's also a bunch of new keyboard short-cuts that make navigating around and working with the desktop easier, once you learn them.

by Anonymousreply 7310/21/2012

I wonder where Microsoft got the idea for "apps"?

by Anonymousreply 7410/21/2012

Windows 7 was nice (finally).

Windows 8 is a piece of shit (again).

by Anonymousreply 7510/21/2012

[quote]Pissing off opposing fan-bois is not going to add anything to your life.

But it will add hundreds of posts to a DL thread!

by Anonymousreply 7610/21/2012

I get the feeling that R72/R73 is the author of the soon-to-be-released "101 Amazing Secrets of Windows 8!"

by Anonymousreply 7710/21/2012

I just bought myself a shiny new 15" Sony laptop on sale with WINDOWS 7 because I will not, repeat, will not play Microsoft's games. Until Windows 8 is perfected, in it's second model year so to speak, no dice for me.

by Anonymousreply 7810/21/2012

Windows 8 seems like one of the best iterations of Windows in a long time. I think this version will catch Apple's attention and variations of W8 will be included in OS 11 Orangutan.

by Anonymousreply 7910/21/2012

Thanks, R72/73. You answered many of my questions.

I have built a fairly complex library system in 7 and wonder how that will transport over to 8.

by Anonymousreply 8010/21/2012

Did you know there were people here promoting the beautiful new Windows VISTA five years ago?

by Anonymousreply 8110/21/2012

I wish, R77. It'd be nice to get paid :-)

by Anonymousreply 8210/21/2012

[quote]I have built a fairly complex library system in 7 and wonder how that will transport over to 8.

Liberies work just the same. If you upgrade, that should all be preserved.

by Anonymousreply 8310/21/2012

(hehe, I said Liberies...)

LIBRARIES.

by Anonymousreply 8410/21/2012

What about my Windows 98 lieberrys r83?

by Anonymousreply 8510/21/2012

quote]Did you know there were people here promoting the beautiful new Windows VISTA five years ago?

There has always been a MS shill at the ready to promote the company's products at release. Nothing new here.

by Anonymousreply 8610/21/2012

R81, that's a lie. I've been on DL since 1998 and have participated in most tech threads, and we have NEVER gushed over Vista. In fact, it was DL and other tech sites horrible experiences with Vista that made me stay away. I went from Win XP straight into Win7 with no regrets.

I have Win8 customer preview on my computer right now, and I almost use the desktop version exclusively. Why do I still have it over Windows 7? Because it is faster, less bloated, and more stable. You don't HAVE to use metro at all, and once you get used to navigating without a start menu, you won't miss it.

Jesus. If it were up to most of you, we'd still be on Windows 98. Microsoft is a tech company, why in the hell would you expect them not to innovate? Ignore the influence that touch navigation and apps have had on the industry? Because that has worked so well for RIM.

by Anonymousreply 8710/21/2012

[quote]Jesus. If it were up to most of you, we'd still be on Windows 98.

Most posters in this thread who've expressed a preference of OS have favored Windows 7.

You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 8810/21/2012

R81 is correct. I remember a thread where an MS shill repeatedly told users Vista was wonderful and that anyone unhappy with it was "pathetic," didn't know how to use a computer, and was old and didn't like change.

by Anonymousreply 8910/21/2012

Hey geek-boy-who-writes-software?

I could barely understand what you said. And I love Windows 7 (and skipped Vista completely, as did my university/workplace).

That tells me everything I need to know about Windows 8.

by Anonymousreply 9010/21/2012

R88 hasn't seen the countless posters saying that XP is fine by them and they want nothing to do with Windows 7, let alone 8.

by Anonymousreply 9110/21/2012

[quote][R88] hasn't seen the countless posters saying that XP is fine by them and they want nothing to do with Windows 7, let alone 8.

LOL! Countless? You mean all three?

Learn to use Ctrl F, R91, and counting might not be so hard for you.

by Anonymousreply 9210/21/2012

R92 is having trouble with numbers and counting. It's not your fault, though, those cuts to education funding over the years have been devastating.

by Anonymousreply 9310/21/2012

Thank you r44. Mac's OS is going the way of Windows.

I'm so glad I still have Snow Leopard on my computers at home. I had to get a new iMac at work and I hate every second I spend using Lion.

by Anonymousreply 9410/21/2012

R94, there are a lot of configurations settings you can change in Lion to restore more "Mac OS X"-like functionality.

Just like there will be many config settings one can change to make Windows 8 act more like Windows 7 on desktops.

If you haven't googled them (I believe the site lifehacker.com ran an entire article on how to do this shortly after Lion first came out), I suggest you do so.

by Anonymousreply 9510/21/2012

[quote]I could barely understand what you said.

I'm sorry, I was just describing some of the more technical desktop improvements for those that care about those things.

Please realize there are a lot of technical features like that in Windows 7 which you claim to like just fine. The presence of these new features in Windows 8 shouldn't dissuade you from trying it out.

Things like "File History" are a lot less technical than "Backup/Restore" on Windows 7, and a lot easier to use. Think "Time Machine" for Windows, if you're familiar with the Mac backup feature.

by Anonymousreply 9610/21/2012

r96, does Windows 8 make it easier for you to post all that porn in the DL porn threads?

by Anonymousreply 9710/21/2012

Nope, that's pretty much the same between the two :-P

by Anonymousreply 9810/21/2012

I HATE Touch-screens!

First of all, i don't have slim fingers. Secondly, I don't want to keep reaching out to my PC monitor, FGS. Thirdly, I hate fingerprints on my afore-mentioned monitor.

Lastly, I don't have any other device (cell-phone, i-Pad/Pod/Tablet) from which to extrapolate my knowledge.

IOW: FEH!

by Anonymousreply 9910/21/2012

I never did get past Windows XP even though I've done work on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

However - I looked at the Windows 8 preview and it's definitely designed for a tablet not a real computer.

So my next computer will more likely than not be running a Linux distro. Fuck Windows and fuck Mac OS-X.

by Anonymousreply 10010/21/2012

[quote]However - I looked at the Windows 8 preview and it's definitely designed for a tablet not a real computer.

No, it's designed for a tablet, as well as for a "real computer" (and more and more, tablets will BE "real computers").

by Anonymousreply 10110/21/2012

There are many people who still haven't figured out that Windows 7 is nothing more than a souped-up XP. I'm looking forward to 8.

by Anonymousreply 10210/21/2012

[quote]I looked at the Windows 8 preview and it's definitely designed for a tablet not a real computer.

Good point. It's puzzling that MS didn't differentiate between touchscreen devices and desktop/laptop PCs.

by Anonymousreply 10310/21/2012

[quote]There are many people who still haven't figured out that Windows 7 is nothing more than a souped-up XP.

Well, it's actually quite a bit more than that. They re-architected the entire underlying OS to be more secure, to support a new driver model, etc. Part of the reason Vista sucked was because of those massive changes underneath... lots of hardware didn't have the new required drivers, and lots of older systems didn't meet the new hardware requirements (even though they were sold as "Vista-Ready"). This caused a huge problem for consumers.

Windows 7 is a UI polish on top of the new infrastructure of Vista. By that time, hardware had caught up, and drivers were available, so people didn't experience the same problems.

by Anonymousreply 10410/21/2012

[quote]Good point. It's puzzling that MS didn't differentiate between touchscreen devices and desktop/laptop PCs.

That's the path Apple has chosen.

Microsoft is trying to make a unified system over all devices, from phones to tablets to laptops to desktops, gaming consoles, and ultimately to servers.

It's a huge paradigm shift, and this is just the 1.0 version, so it's not really fully complete yet. And because it's "brand new", it's going to be new (and confusing) to a lot of people.

But look a few years down the line, and people will be used to it. And Microsoft stuff will have its own very distinct look and feel. Different/separate from Apple.

IMHO, kudos to Microsoft for going its own way, rather than just trying to copy the leader (which is, imho, what Google/Android did.. it's a "me too" platform).

The notion that an app can be written once, and run across multiple platforms and devices is an interesting idea. It's not there yet though. Apps can run across Windows 8 and Win RT, but they still have to be tweaked (sometimes significantly) and recompiled to run on Windows Phone 8 and/or XBox 360.

It'll be interesting to see how much more integrated and common and consistent things get as Microsoft updates Windows 8 (which they plan to do at least annually, instead of every three years... again, more in line with consumer expectations than corporate ones), introduce their new XBox gaming console, introduce new hardware (new Surface devices and even potentially a "Surface Phone"), etc.

by Anonymousreply 10510/21/2012

[quote]they are too old to be using a computer [R15]. Most of the posting population of DL is barely breathing these days...

People who post shit like this baffle me. Do you really think you aren't going to get old? I can promise that when you do, you're going to be even more of a miserable cunt than you are now.

by Anonymousreply 10610/21/2012

I love R106.

by Anonymousreply 10710/21/2012

[quote]People who post shit like this baffle me.

I don't know why. Have you never encountered a banal idiot on the internet before?

by Anonymousreply 10810/21/2012

[quote] Windows 8 Microsoft attempting to copy Apple

As did Windows 3.1... Windows 95... Windows 98... Windows 2000... Windows XP...

by Anonymousreply 10910/22/2012

Windows 8 isn't Microsoft "copying" Apple... it's Microsoft going after the same market as Apple with its own entry. A subtle but important difference.

Android is Google's attempt to "copy" Apple.

by Anonymousreply 11010/22/2012

Experts: Windows 8 features make account passwords easier to steal

by Anonymousreply 11110/22/2012

Widows 8 is the biggest OS disaster since Microsoft BOB

by Anonymousreply 11210/22/2012

It's a huge paradigm shift, and this is just the 1.0 version, so it's not really fully complete yet. And because it's "brand new", it's going to be new (and confusing) to a lot of people.

How did everyone manage to pick up the iPhone and iPad running that newfangled iOS without any confusion?

by Anonymousreply 11310/22/2012

OP=Michael Phelps

by Anonymousreply 11410/22/2012

[italic]It's a huge paradigm shift, and this is just the 1.0 version, so it's not really fully complete yet. And because it's "brand new", it's going to be new (and confusing) to a lot of people.

This is one of the problems. Once again, Microsoft is preparing to treat its customers like shit. Damn good thing I've got two relatively new computers and can wait until they get it right, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 11510/22/2012

[italic]It'll be interesting to see how much more integrated and common and consistent things get as Microsoft updates Windows 8 (which they plan to do at least annually, instead of every three years... again, more in line with consumer expectations than corporate ones)

"In line with consumer expectations?" Come on, please, when has Microsoft ever cared about the end user? I'm very far from an Apple fanboi, or a Linux geek. I am a grizzled veteran of many a Microsoft laboratory experiment.

All I can say, really, is that I've learned never to trust those bastards. No one in their right mind allows themselves to be burdened by a new Microsoft operating system or major rewrite of a significant application until they absolutely have to.

Microsoft is many things, but consumer friendly. Never. Not then, not now, not ever. We grimly tolerate Microsoft, hoping for the day when someone else will replace them without (as Apple does) charging us double and expecting our undying awe.

If there's one positive thing to say about Microsoft, it's that they know they're a pack of fucking mutts. They've pretty much stopped it with the whole "awesome" crap. They know that people will only laugh.

by Anonymousreply 11610/22/2012

[quote] it's Microsoft going after the same market as Apple with its own entry.

In spite of my snide (but truthful) comment, I agree. I think MS should be commended for at least trying to come up with an original core UI - which they really haven't before.

I do think however that MS will be experiencing the same clusterfuck that Apple did with FCP x. An entirely new paradigm that people may not be ready for - regardless of its virtues. The problem is that it will be uglier and bigger.

by Anonymousreply 11710/22/2012

[/italic]Shit, I hope I can keep the whole thread from becoming italics now. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 11810/22/2012

[/italic]I don't want to appear as a Mac Troll (well, at least not this time...), but:

If Win 8 IS such a drastic change, and if there's (bound to be) both software incompatibility AND a steep learning curve, I'm really curious, why not just get a Mac.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 11910/22/2012

There 115/118, I fixed it for you

by Anonymousreply 12010/22/2012

[quote]The notion that an app can be written once, and run across multiple platforms and devices is an interesting idea.

Yes, it's a wonder no one has considered it before.

by Anonymousreply 12110/22/2012

R121, in case you haven't noticed, Java is kind of dying out there.

In fact, the latest OS X/Safari update forcably removes it on Macs. Without even asking you.

by Anonymousreply 12210/22/2012

Let me see: $40 for Windows8 or $2000 for MacBook Pro. That's a tough decision, R119.

by Anonymousreply 12310/22/2012

Not to mention taht if you get Windows 8 (NOT "Windows RT" like on the Surface RT), your investment in software is preserved. Pretty much anything that ran under XP, Vista, or Win7 will run under Windows 8. You don't have to go out and buy all new apps.

That, an the Mac is a lousy gaming platform (though it's improving, it'll never ever catch up to Windows, especially given all the new XBox/Windows integration)

by Anonymousreply 12410/22/2012

Everyone I know who has braved Win8 has rapidly developed fingertip and eyeball cancer.

by Anonymousreply 12510/22/2012

"SmartGlass" looks awesome... continue movies and browsing from TV to Phone to Tablet and back... use the tablet as a control or second information screen for XBox movies and games...

by Anonymousreply 12610/23/2012

Win8 ain't insanely great.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 12710/23/2012

Not "insanely great", no. Of course not.

But it doesn't suck either. It's not "bad". It's, in fact, pretty darn good. But yes, there are some rough edges, and some awkward choices, and a stiff learning curve. It won't be everyone's cup of tea. But it's the direction Windows is heading in.

Check out this review from The Verge... it's very long and detailed, and doesn't pull any punches, but still ends up giving it an 8.8 out of 10:

by Anonymousreply 12810/24/2012

R122, the comment was not about the success of Java, but rather that the "...notion that an app can be written once, and run across multiple platforms and devices" was somehow especially new and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 12910/24/2012

Who makes the Surface tablet for MSFT?

Foxxconn?

by Anonymousreply 13010/24/2012

How long can you milk out Windows 7?

Let's say someone tries Windows 8 and thinks it sucks. They can go back and use Windows 7 for about how long?

Also. Are the tiles and all of the nerdy bits of Windows 8 going to be the only direction Windows will go in?

I'm just curious and haven't been able to find any answers. I like Windows as well as Apple and Linux. So, I'm just a big old nerdy whore, basically, who is as neutral as neutral can be.

by Anonymousreply 13110/24/2012

Windows 7 will be available for years. However, as time goes on, it'll be harder and harder to find a PC that has Windows 7 pre-installed.

Yes, the Tiles/Metro interface is where Microsoft is headed for the forseeable future, across all their systems (XBox, phone, tablets, desktops). Even servers are headed that way to an extent.

by Anonymousreply 13210/24/2012

David Pogue's take

by Anonymousreply 13310/25/2012

[bold]Don't hate Windows 8![/bold]

[italic]Summary: Windows 8 takes a lot of getting used to, but it's the best OS made by Microsoft, and could be the best OS ever made by anyone...[/italic]

Windows 8 is really hard to get used to. Really, really hard.

Don't get me wrong, even when when you're running through the install process, Windows 8 looks absolutely fabulous. Never before has so much elegance been wrought from such basic use of colour and typography. It's beautiful from the get-go.

But when you get to the Start screen -- well, it's really that where it starts to fall apart for people.

I started using Windows 8 full-time on March 1st 2012, just under eight months ago. Soon after starting I wrote a particularly harsh article about what I thought of it. [bold]Over the weeks and months that followed, I grew to really enjoy using Windows 8 and -- in all honesty -- regretted being quite so harsh.[/bold]

(rest of article at the link)

by Anonymousreply 13410/25/2012

Just passed through the new microsoft store in boston recently. I guess it's a pop-up store for the holidays. Apart from being a clear ripoff of an apple store (chunky wood tables, etc.) it was amazing how there were about 8 employees for every customer. The opposite of the apple stores.

by Anonymousreply 13510/25/2012

R135, Microsoft stores aren't pop-up. They're permanent, in an attempt to compete with Apple stores.

by Anonymousreply 13610/25/2012

Another review (and a snippet from it... hit the link for the entire thing):

[bold]Windows 8 Review: Incredibly Innovative, Incredibly Important, Not Quite Incredible[/bold]

Windows 8 is a dramatic change from previous versions of Windows. But only if you want it to be. The old desktop—basically everything you would see in Windows 7—is still there, with its taskbar and folders and windows. It's still there, but now there's a new layer of the OS that's built around information and visually driven "tiles" that display things like message snippits, the weather, sports scores, or photos. The name for this layer is still up in the air, but we're calling it Metro here. It is designed to be touch-friendly, but it exists in the PC version because Microsoft has merged its tablet and PC operating systems.

Even if you're dead-set on changing absolutely no part of your Windows day-to-day while using Windows 8, there's one part stands out even on the desktop: Metro remakes all of your windows. Instead of the glassy, transparent, rounded look of Windows 7 (Aero Glass), the new windows are sharp, with solid colors and cleaner lines. It's a superficial change, but it affects the entire visual makeup of the desktop.

The move away from Aero Glass gives apps on the desktop a visual fidelity that has been missing for a long time. Things feel solid. Like they fit together. Like they're not just haphazardly pieced together chunks of pixels and code. And the uniformly colored window panels that fade to gray when they are not selected do an excellent job of drawing your focus to the task at hand. It's an extremely sophisticated boost to the user experience.

A nice little bonus is that Microsoft's new streaming music service, Xbox Music, is automatically attached to your account, and active in the default Music app. Think of it as a built-in Spotify. That means you'll literally be able to just start up Windows 8 for the first time and play free music right away. That's a great touch.

Don't be afraid of Windows 8. If you don't like using Metro, you really don't have to beyond landing in the tile screen when you boot up; you can think of it as a big, stylish app drawer. Otherwise, you can use the desktop for everything you do now in Windows 7. If you use Metro as nothing more than that, your base Windows experience will still be improved by Windows 8. From the basic level, like the design of the windows to improved security features like the new virus and malware detectors that come by default in Windows 8.

For everyone else, it's a fresh start.

by Anonymousreply 13710/25/2012

Oh yes they do have holiday pop up stores in the works, R136.

by Anonymousreply 13810/25/2012

Win 8 is geared more towards touch screen devices (tablets) and looks promising as it will be able to run Android apps out of box. It's main competition is Gnome 3.0 (not a fan) and Android. Win 8 might have the upper hand as it will handle both Win & Android apps.

Win 7 will continue to be OS of choice for desktop & laptops for a long time to come.

I'm not a fan of tablets, I need a physical keyboard and a large screen so I'm married to laptops.

by Anonymousreply 13910/25/2012

[quote]and looks promising as it will be able to run Android apps out of box.

Um... no. I have no idea where you got that from. Windows 8 doesn't run android apps.

by Anonymousreply 14010/25/2012

I watched the Windows 8 & Surface launch webcasts... and it was all pretty impressive.

MS has learned a lot about launching, but I could have done without their constant use of "Magical". They're not Apple. They've stopped copying OS and software, it'd be nice if they didn't try to copy the salesmanship too.

by Anonymousreply 14110/25/2012

[bold]Windows 8 upgrade: your hardware and software options explained[/bold]

[italic]Microsoft's latest might be the cheapest, most painless upgrade yet[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 14210/25/2012

How to use the new Start Screen:

by Anonymousreply 14310/26/2012

[bold]How to Not Get Lost in Windows 8: The Best Shortcuts and Tricks[/bold]

Windows 8 sports a bold new interface designed for both touch-enabled devices and keyboards/mice. But for the uninitiated, it can be extremely confusing and frustrating to use, with many controls now hidden behind new ways to interact with your computer. Want to know how to actually use Windows 8 without going crazy? Here are the most important Windows 8 shortcuts and tips for getting around.

First of all, if you've just started using Windows 8 and wondering where everything went, don't worry, it's not just you. All of the controls and features of Windows 7 are still there (plus a few new ones). They may have just been moved or redesigned. Here's a map, if you will, to this brave new world.

Click the link to find charts and more that help you find where things are:

by Anonymousreply 14410/26/2012

If MSFT **gave** me a Surface, I'd try it.

After nearly 20 years of buying Apple products exclusively, this would be just about the only way they'd be able to get me try one.

Except for buying Microsoft Office for Macintosh once in the early Aughts, I have never spent any of my hard-earned money with Microsoft.

I am rather proud of this, as one naturally would be.

by Anonymousreply 14510/26/2012

[quote]I am rather proud of this, as one naturally would be.

That's a really stupid thing to be 'proud' of, marking you as an irrational fanboy.

by Anonymousreply 14610/26/2012

Windows since 2000 has used a desktop app on top of the OS.

Hell - on your 2000, XP, Vista or Win 7 desktop bring up the task manager and kill explorer.exe and you'll see what I mean. All your programs will still be running but no way to control them.

Oh - before you kill it start a command prompt. Then once you've killed it you can alt-tab to the command prompt and type explorer.exe to get the start button etc. back.

by Anonymousreply 14710/26/2012

Actually, once you've killed to with the task manager, all you need to do is click over to the first tab, and click the "new process" tab, and enter "Explorer" and press enter.

by Anonymousreply 14810/26/2012

"That's a really stupid thing to be 'proud' of, marking you as an irrational fanboy."

----

Paid Brand Ambassador & Microsoft LOVVAH BOY @ R146:

I've sparred with you enough in various threads over the past months to know where your button is and I delight in pushing it.

Hell, it's the big flashing red one on top of your flat head. It's marked "Start."

(press!)

---

Say, when you look in the mirror, do you see a Microshit Fan Boi?

by Anonymousreply 14910/26/2012

R149, all you do is continually show just how wrong, sad, and pathetic you are. Get a life, troll.

by Anonymousreply 15010/26/2012

So I've spent the last six hours or so playing with Windows RT... which means mostly staying in Metro and only poking around at the Desktop since you can't install any new desktop software.

I did this on a touch tablet (Surface RT).

And while the OS and its apps do tend to lack in the "intuitiveness" arena, once you start getting the hang of it, it's actually pretty nice. I was doing a bunch of things that an iPad user could only ever dream of doing... listening to music through my XBox 360 with controls docked to the side of my game I was playing... that sort of thing.

I also easily connected to my main PC (both directly via a remote desktop, and just via Explorer through shared libraries), copied over some pictures, music, and videos, synced my kindle books, and am now basically loaded to go.

Everyone also gets XBox Live Music streaming, so I spent a while browswing the XBox Music store, and pushing songs and "smart-dj" playlists to my XBox to pump through my sound system, all wirelessly.

The cool thing was, since I signed in via Microsoft Account with a different PC running Windows 8 during the whole beta period, when I signed into my new Surface, all my bookmarks and browser settings and contacts and accounts just "showed up" instantly. I didn't have to configure a whole lot.

Most users will have to configure a bunch I guess, but once you do that, it just "flows" to any new machine you sign into, which is just cool.

Honestly, I found I didn't miss the desktop much. Of course, I wasn't trying to get any WORK done... and I did note that using the desktop via the touch-screen only was an exercise in frustration.

Some of the apps were pretty "crashy"... Netflix is really good looking, but it's lacking in some functionality (can't reorder your queue), and it crashed three times on me in a short period of time (all while browsing things, not while watching anything). With XBox video's ability to push the movie or TV show you're watching to the Big screen, and then "take it back" to the little screen to carry with you, all without losing your place... you kind of instantly miss that feature in Netflix.

Anyway, a bunch of rough edges, a definite 1.0 product, but still, I think there's a lot of power and promise here. Here's hoping Microsoft goes against its history, and actually works to realize some of it.

by Anonymousreply 15110/27/2012

Should I jump to win8? I am using winXP. It's very attractive the pricing promo they have on now.

by Anonymousreply 15210/27/2012

It depends.

If you're still running Windows XP, can I safely assume you're using really old hardware? It might be worth it to you to go with a new computer entirely, depending on how old it is. What computer do you have? How old is it? How much memory? How much disk-space? What kind of monitor and at what resolution? What kind of CPU and at what speed? (you can find most of this information by going to "My Computer", right-clicking, and selecting "properties")

Next, what do you do with your computer normally? What are your expectations? Do you have a home network, or just one computer connected directly to the internet? Do you have a wireless router? Laptop(s)?

Do you have an XBox360 that you use for Netflix, music, or games?

Do you like learning things, or do you just want to always have things work the same?

Do you do heavy creation of stuff (Photoshop, Word/Excel, software development), or do you use it mostly for email, browsing, chat, mustic, etc?

Yes, the pricing is attractive. But whether you should make the jump depends on a lot of things, imho.

Also keep in mind that "upgrading" Windows XP to Windows 8 means you'll have to re-install all your old Desktop applications from scratch... do you still have all their install CDs and any serial numbers or codes needed to complete the install? Or at least all the Setup.exe installers somewhere? The "upgrade" will preserve your files (anything in your my documents, my pictures, my music, my videos folders, for example) but it won't preserve your applications in-place. Is that okay for you?

If you were to buy a new machine with Win8 pre-installed instead, what would your budget be? That's also a good question to ask. If it's "near zero because I just don't have any spare money right now", then that's a clear answer that one option isn't available. But if you can swing $500 or so, you can probably replace your old hardware (depending on what it is) with a very solid new system, with Win8 pre-installed, and you might end up much happier.

by Anonymousreply 15310/27/2012

Thanks Windows.... for pushing me to MAC.

You don't get it do you? Us creative types want to create stuff. We don't want you creating stuff for us that hinders our ability to create our own stuff ... and make a living at it.

We want computers to be a tool to create without the hinderance of someone else's preset 'creations'.

I use to resist MACs like the plague. But I learned from experts that "MAC is freedom .. and superior technology combined".

And when I HAD to switch from Windows thanks to its propensity of creating viruses and obliging us to spend money and time fighting those viruses ... now I know its true myself.

by Anonymousreply 15410/27/2012

[quote]u don't get it do you? Us creative types want to create stuff. We don't want you creating stuff for us that hinders our ability to create our own stuff ... and make a living at it.

You don't get it do you? Windows 8 does nothing to hinder you from creating stuff.

[quote]We want computers to be a tool to create without the hinderance of someone else's preset 'creations'.

And Windows 8 is still far more flexible and configurable than OS X.

[quote]I use to resist MACs like the plague. But I learned from experts that "MAC is freedom .. and superior technology combined".

Not so much any more.

[quote]And when I HAD to switch from Windows thanks to its propensity of creating viruses and obliging us to spend money and time fighting those viruses ... now I know its true myself.

If OS X had 90% of the market, then IT would be the one with all the viruses. WIndows doesn't "create" viruses, criminals do. And they target the juiciest target. There were many Mac trojans and viruses over the last year... weren't you paying attention? The number is going up a lot.

Meanwhile, Windows 8 is by far the most secure OS there is targeting the general public.

I don't think you know what you're talking about, or even really understand why you're so angry.

by Anonymousreply 15510/27/2012

I want to buy a computer from somebody who listens to my needs and won't rush to force something down my throat..

by Anonymousreply 15610/27/2012

@ 155

Windows Vista. Thats what turned me off Windows.

Now if Windows 8 solved all those problems, ... I am angry because I am stuck with a MAC .. when you know darn well I wish I were in the market for a new computer thats even better.

I only have so much desk space at home.

But I will put in a good word for Windows 8 at the office.

by Anonymousreply 15710/27/2012

So tell us your needs?

by Anonymousreply 15810/27/2012

A mobile OS for your laptop. Great idea! Only Microsoft was genius enough to figure out that people secretly love fingerprints on their laptop screens. This is why it will leave Apple in the dust.

Oh wait, you [italic]can[/italic] use it with a mouse, with some work around. Great! Only Microsoft was genius enough to figure out that people secretly love products that require workarounds to get them to work.

Oh Apple, you really just cannot compete with this genius.

by Anonymousreply 15910/27/2012

R159, it's not a "work around". It works natively with touch, mice, touch-mice, trackpads, keyboards, pen/stylus, etc.

It's not a "mobile os for a laptop" either. It's an OS that can do everything a mobile OS can do AND everything a desktop OS can do.

But, you know, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 16010/27/2012

[quote]It's an OS that can do everything a mobile OS can do AND everything a desktop OS can do.

One OS to rule them all.

by Anonymousreply 16110/27/2012

[quote]It's an OS that can do everything a mobile OS can do AND everything a desktop OS can do.

It's a floorwax AND a delicious dessert topping!

by Anonymousreply 16210/27/2012

I guess some people are unaware of how Apple is moving iOS feaures into OS X too... and how Google is playing with "Android" on "laptops"...

I guess some people always want to stop and think about which device to take with them: the tablet? The laptop? Oops, guessed wrong! Dammit!

Meanwhile, Windows 8 runs on them all, including tons of new 'convertable' form factors, and shares and syncs all your data transparently, so whether you go with a tablet or a laptop, you can do all the same thing.

Yeah, that's SUCH a horrible idea.

by Anonymousreply 16310/27/2012

@ R162,

..lmao!

by Anonymousreply 16410/27/2012

Do not like fingerprints on the screen. No good.

by Anonymousreply 16510/27/2012

r153 thanks for the reply. My PC was built diy and I upgraded around Dec 09. I am using AMD chip 2.9Hz and 4gb ram. It's average but enough to run win8.

I like to tinker with PC related stuff so not really a noob and don't mind learning new things. That's actually one thing I am looking forward to if I switch.

When win8 consumer preview came out I installed it for a short while on my PC and it ran great. USB file transfer was much faster for example. Except I had trouble dual booting and had to reinstall winXP and basically cleaned out the whole harddrive.

No xbox. I game only on PC.

So basically I am not in need of a switch. I am primarily interested in jumping as for the price, I presume I will be getting win7 benefits with it. Am I right? Or should I just get win7?

by Anonymousreply 16610/27/2012

Win has almost everything Win7 has. The exceptions:

- The start button on the left side of the task-bar (it was redundant to the new way of activating the start screen)

- The "Areo Glass" UI... with lots of gradients and transparencies. These effect sap performance and battery life without having much benefit. It was "cool looking" six years ago, but meh.

- "Areo Peek"... the ability in Win7 to hover your mouse over the lower-right corner and have all windows disappear so you could see the desktop

There's also a lot of additional things you get on top of what Win7 gave you.

Of course, going from XP, you'll basically be getting a clean-install. It'll preserve your My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, and My Music folders and contents, but that's about it. And of course it would be wise to do a backup anyway. You'll need to re-install all desktop apps.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be out of touch for the next week, but I'll check in when I get back and answer whatever I can.

by Anonymousreply 16710/28/2012

I just learned from my country cousins that you can buy Windows PCs at the Home Depot hardware store.

They are heavy Home Depot shoppers and buy all the computers they use to run their farming operation and for their personal use at HD.

PC users -- are these good prices?

by Anonymousreply 16810/28/2012

[quote]We don't want you creating stuff for us that hinders our ability to create our own stuff ... and make a living at it.

Then you definitely don't want the Mac, as that is the biggest gripe about Apple software -- the inability to control your own device and operating system because Apple has so rigidly locked it.

by Anonymousreply 16910/28/2012

Ok guys and gals, I just purchased win8 upgrade with a promo code that cuts the price down to $15!

The method to get the promo code is at the link.

by Anonymousreply 17010/28/2012

HA @R30 Ballmer is now doing PR for Microshit.

More bloated MS garbage.

by Anonymousreply 17110/28/2012

Win8 is not a priority for many, see AP poll results.

by Anonymousreply 17210/29/2012

"XBox Smart Glass" is cool. Now available for Android too!

by Anonymousreply 17311/04/2012

I've not been using Win8 much lately... I've been playing with Windows RT on a Surface mostly. Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 17411/05/2012

I'd prefer to steer well clear of Windows 8, which is clearly not desktop user friendly, but I want a new computer and it looks like most if not all the Black Friday deals with be on Windows 8 machines. I've already spotted one Windows 8 machine deal too good to pass up. So I guess I'll install Ubuntu on it. If I'm going to have to learn a whole new system, might as well be one designed for desktop use.

by Anonymousreply 17511/09/2012

[quote]I'd prefer to steer well clear of Windows 8, which is clearly not desktop user friendly

Not really true.

At all.

by Anonymousreply 17611/09/2012

Posting this from a "Surface" running Windows RT.

The more I use it the more I like it. Other than apps selection, it blows the iPad out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 17711/11/2012

Yes but it sucks for desktop use. I haven't used it yet, but I've read enough horror stories to know something is up with it. Like the thing where everything is scaled for tiny mobile devices so it looks ridiculous on a large desktop screen. And it's very difficult to resize screens. My desktop is hooked up to a 42" HDTV, it's really going to look ridiculous for pop-ups to go full screen on that. They should've developed a separate OS for desktops, instead it's like they're intentionally frustrating desktop users because they want us to switch over to iPads or androids or whatever.

I don't believe you r176, but it looks like I'm going to find out in two weeks. I hope Ubuntu will be an acceptable alternative, their new release is supposed to be the best Linux alternative yet. They knew Win8 was going to be another Vista-type debacle and people would need to be rescued from it.

by Anonymousreply 17811/11/2012

[quote]Yes but it sucks for desktop use. I haven't used it yet, ...

Yeah, let me just stop you right there. No, it doesn't suck for desktop use. There are a FEW things that take a little getting used to, but other than that, it's pretty much Windows 7 with more features and much faster.

Don't confuse a little learning curve with "sucking". Most of the "horror stories" are kind of laughable and pathetic, or trumped-up bashing from Windows haters.

I find it even more humorous that idiots whine that they're going to Unbuntu. Yeah, right.

This is nothing "Vista-like" about Windows 8, and I'm really sick of that stupid, ignorant meme.

by Anonymousreply 17911/11/2012

Win8 defenders, feel free to debunk this article. The guy, a writer for PCMag.com, isn't a crank or a Windows hater. The main complaint isn't that there's a (apparently quite steep) learning curve, but that it isn't designed for desktop use at all. He thinks Microsoft only cares about the touch market now and is trying to discourage desktop use.

by Anonymousreply 18011/11/2012

To say it's not designed for desktop use at all is just blatently false. Completely wrong. Stupidly so. I can't imagine how anyone could be so blind and ignorant as to even say such a thing.

Unlike most of the bashers, I've been using it on a desktop. And a non-touch laptop. And a touch tablet.

It works fine in all places.

You don't NEED to use the new "Metro" apps. And on the Desktop, I don't. I use it just like Windows 7. The ONLY difference is the start screen vs. start menu... and of course the fact that it's just a lot faster, with a lot of new features.

Adding a touch-mouse to the desktop setup makes it even more usable, but even if all you have is a scroll-wheel, it's perfectly fine.

There's a lot of ridiculous nonsense coming from people who don't really know what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 18111/12/2012

To specifically debunk some of the bullshit this guy was spewing in that PCMag article, let's start with just this:

[quote]After (an admittedly painless) installation, I was faced with the garish Start screen, loaded with apps that didn't interest me at all. I clicked on a couple to see how I'd respond to them. The Weather and Stock apps were pretty, no doubt—but did each one need to occupy upwards of two million pixels on my screen? Because all the Start apps open full-screen, too little information was looking much too big—and there's no way to change this.

That's all complete bullshit. It's like he has no clue you can customize the start screen. Just remove all those apps you don't want. Put tiles on for the desktop apps you use. Put the "desktop" tile at the top-left, and you can access it with a simple enter. And then stay there. No way to change this? Jesus christ... use whatever mail app you want, whatever weather app you want... just like on Windows 7. Change it to your heart's content. You need never run a Metro app if you don't want to.

Basically, this guy is a moron and you shouldn't listen to him.

by Anonymousreply 18211/12/2012

I fucking hate CNET.

[quote]The learning curve is steep and in-app navigation isn't obvious. There are just too many known unknowns here.

Then how the FUCK do you rate it four stars/excellent?

by Anonymousreply 18311/12/2012

I foolishly got it last week and HATE it!

Not very user-friendly and the graphics are ugly.

I'm having a friend re-install 7 this week,I hope I can get my Firefox bookmarks back (I saved my hard drive) but cant find them anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 18411/12/2012

It is excellent.

It's new and different. It takes some getting used to. But the more I use it, the more impressed I am, and the more I like it.

The only 'unknown' here is whether people will give it the chance, or whether they'll just have a knee-jerk lazy reaction.

Of course, Microsoft could do a hell of a lot better with documenting the changes, how to do things "the new way", etc... a line of how-to vidoes on YouTube or something would be pretty useful for a lot of people.

Doesn't mean the product itself isn't good.

by Anonymousreply 18511/12/2012

You need to give it a chance R184.

Did you cusomize the start screen?

Did you learn the new hot-keys?

Do you understand how to use the charms, the corners (with a mouse), etc?

Do you relize you can RIGHT CLICK when you move the mouse to the lower left corner ("start") and get a power menu of all sorts of easy ways to jump to a new location?

Do you know you can just start typing when you're on the start screen to search for an app? For instance, if you want ot start Windows Explorer, just hit the "windows" key (to get to start) and then type "exp" and press enter.

Want to find a file? Windows-F brings you to the find/search screen. Search apps, settings, files, or anything else you have installed.

Did you install "Windows Live Essentials 2012"? That gets you Windows Movie Maker, Windows Live Mail client, Sky-Drive integration with Windows Explorer, etc.

Did you set up a Microsoft Account to log in with? Doing that gets you free XBox Music streaming, 7GB of free SkyDrive storage, and the ability to easily sync settings across devices (desktop and laptop, for instance).

Do you know how to get to the All Apps screen? Right-click the start screen, and click all apps? (Windows-F will get you there too)

Did you TRY? Did you make an effort? Did you ask for help on any of the SPECIFIC issues you were frustrated with?

by Anonymousreply 18611/12/2012

I agree with R184. I installed it on my desktop and didn't like it at all. I'm back to Windows 7, which works just fine for me.

by Anonymousreply 18711/12/2012

Why don't you people who hate it EVER give any specific reasons?

What don't you like, exactly?

Are you open-minded enough to actually ask for assistence with the things you find frustrating, and learn how to get past them?

by Anonymousreply 18811/12/2012

Windows 8, like its predecessors, allow for "Classic" view. You can set it up to look just like Windows 7, Windows NT, Windows 95/98, XP, etc. The operating system is primarily designed for people used to touch screen applications much like a present day smart phone. Actually, it is a pretty well thought out operating system that is loosely based on the Android system.

by Anonymousreply 18911/12/2012

I don't understand this trend in interfaces to be primarily large picture-oriented.

This is not progress, it is regression - to the age of two years old when one can't read.

by Anonymousreply 19011/12/2012

Thank you R182. This explains the customization of Windows 8 more succinctly than I did.

by Anonymousreply 19111/12/2012

You know you can change the default apps that launch when you click a link, double-click on a photo or movie, etc., right? So you can use Desktop IE10 (or Chrome or FireFox), Windows Media Player (or VLC or MediaPlayerClassic, etc), and on and on. You don't ever need to use a "Metro" app.

The Start Screen is just an app launcher. You can turn off all the live updates, you can "un-pin" any tile you want.

As long as you're not using Windows RT (an an ARM device like Surface), you can install any Windows 7 app you want.

And I've found that once I customize the colors, I like the new solid UI better than the glass Areo.

But, you know, if you really want to you can put any skin you want on. You can make it look like Win7, or XP, or OS X... you can re-install the Start Button and Start Menu (there are plenty of 3rd party options). If you are unable or unwilling to learn the new ways (which might seem frustrating at first, but from someone who is on the other side, it actually makes a lot of sense and I like it better)... there are solutions.

You do not need to uninstall it, and you don't need to reinstall Windows 7.

by Anonymousreply 19211/12/2012

[quote]It was "cool looking" six years ago, but meh.

Uh no. Aero looked pretty lame back then too.

Regardless of what the defenders/defender here are hashing, there seems to be a universal sense of disappointment/disdain toward Win 8 among the majority of PC reviewers thus far.

Calling them all idiots doesn't change that.

FWIW, it is amusing to see Win 8 partisans dismiss the lack of Win 8/Metro apps as not being an issue, since this is the EXACT same reason given for their disdain of the Mac throughout the years.

by Anonymousreply 19311/12/2012

[quote]You can make it look like Win7, or XP, or OS X... you can re-install the Start Button and Start Menu (there are plenty of 3rd party options).

I already have Windows 7.

by Anonymousreply 19411/12/2012

I don't dismiss that as an issue. It totally is an issue on Windows RT devices (which can't install anything BUT the new Metro apps).

Surface with Windows RT seems like a 1.0 product (which it is), and seems "unfinished" to me. It's still more powerful with more potential than iPad/iOS, but potential means nothing if it's not realized.

It remains to be seen how much of that potential is realized.

Windows RT devices are for "early adopters" only, imho. Or people with very limited needs.

But Windows 8 is an entirely different story since it pretty much runs everything XP and Windows 7 ran, PLUS all the new Metro apps.

by Anonymousreply 19511/12/2012

R194, that's not the point, now is it?

Windows 8 brings with it a host of improvements to even those that only use the Desktop... not least of which is the fact that it boots and shuts down way faster, and all the other things outlined in several posts above. A key one is being more secure than ever. And a laptop will see benefits from batteries lasting longer. It supports more hardware and more modern standards (USB3 support is baked in, as well as native support for 3G/4G/LTE connections, accelerometers, gyros, GPS, and other sensors).

by Anonymousreply 19611/12/2012

Yeah, no thanks. It'll be on the next PC I buy if I buy one with an MS operating system anyway. Win 7 is still working fine on my current PCs.

by Anonymousreply 19711/12/2012

XP was the best Windows.

by Anonymousreply 19811/12/2012

The point is r196 that we already get along just fine with Win7. None of those things you listed is truly imperative or things that are going to be widely utilized by the majority of the public.

by Anonymousreply 19911/12/2012

[quote]Yeah, no thanks. It'll be on the next PC I buy if I buy one with an MS operating system anyway. Win 7 is still working fine on my current PCs.

That's fine. Getting Win8 with new hardware designed for it is a better option anyway, and if it doesn't offer you anything you want or need, there's no reason to rush to abandon Win7 that's already working for you.

[quote]XP was the best Windows.

Not by any imaginable measure, no.

by Anonymousreply 20011/12/2012

[quote]Why don't you people who hate it EVER give any specific reasons?

Perhaps they're just trolls. I have yet to see anyone give concrete reasons, or ask for help with specific issues. They just want to bash.

by Anonymousreply 20111/12/2012

Haters gonna hate.

by Anonymousreply 20211/12/2012

Fucking Microsoft troll pushing ugly bloated software.

by Anonymousreply 20311/12/2012

R203, Irrational anger issues much?

And no, it's not bloated... it's tighter, faster, and more efficient in nearly every way than Windows 7.

And 'ugly' is subjective and relative.

by Anonymousreply 20411/12/2012

[quote] To specifically debunk some of the bullshit this guy was spewing in that PCMag article, let's start with just this:

You started with that, and ended with that. Try to debunk the rest of the article or don't complain that specifics aren't brought up.

by Anonymousreply 20511/13/2012

I already debunked most of that article (maybe your reading comprehension isn't up to snuff)... meanwhile those who claim to have installed Windows 8 and hate it and want to uninstall it haven't even mentioned ONE reason why, and haven't indicated that they've made ANY effort to learn or understand, and haven't asked even ONE question about how to work around or figure out their frustration points.

So yeah, I don't think the ball's exactly in my court here.

Still waiting.

by Anonymousreply 20611/13/2012

You cherry-picked one point and then called the writer an idiot, not persuasive and not a debunking.

by Anonymousreply 20711/13/2012

Yup, your reading comprehension isn't that good. Thought so.

by Anonymousreply 20811/13/2012

Yup, your evasiveness is persistent, thought so.

by Anonymousreply 20911/13/2012

Damn, you guys are all stuck-up!

by Anonymousreply 21011/13/2012

I installed Windows 8 consumer edition the day it came out. I admit the first 24 hours I HATED it. But by the next day I LOVED it, and still do. Really there's not much different from Windows 7 other than the START menu. Once you learn the ins and outs of that and the ALL APPS screen you're pretty much home free.

And the greatest thing I've found out is that with W8 you can actually change the font size for your popup windows in your browser. The W7 popup fonts were so light colored I simply couldn't see them. Now I've got them bigger and in BOLD type and I can see them with no problems.

The only issue I have since installing it and ordering a backup DVD is that the DVD was supposedly mailed on 10/30 (with a 4-8 day delivery time) and I have yet to receive it.

by Anonymousreply 21111/13/2012

Hey Microsoft Trollerina!

You hear about this development back the Microsoft HQ, your employers?

It seems Mr. Microsoft Windows has hastily flown the coop!

Awwwwww ….

by Anonymousreply 21211/13/2012

Bump and dump

by Anonymousreply 21311/13/2012

R204/trollerina your posts are obvious MS talking points and the hostility you're reading comes from disgruntled users. Btw .net is also bloated ugly expensive garbage.

by Anonymousreply 21411/13/2012

R209, not evasiveness. I may have only quoted one point, but I addressed several (and several other points he made boiled down to the ones I addressed).

Thanks R210 and R211 for chiming in.

I'm still curious about those that "hate it" and want to uninstall it and return to Windows 7. What are your issues? Are you open to any assistence in getting you past your frustrations? Or are you, like R212 and R214, just trolling?

(.Net and C# are actually pretty nice... it's how I make my living, in fact. And no, I do not now, nor have I ever, worked for Microsoft)

by Anonymousreply 21511/13/2012

"" Or are you, like [R212] and [R214], just trolling? ""

This is 212.

I wasn't trolling, you idiot at R215.

I just wanted to be sure you knew the shocking, unexpected news about the guy who has just led the Windows 8 intro.

I thought I was being helpful. (sniff)

by Anonymousreply 21611/14/2012

This is cuntier than an AC/Ben thread.

by Anonymousreply 21711/14/2012

My appologizes, R216.

by Anonymousreply 21811/14/2012

You're not 215, R218

by Anonymousreply 21911/14/2012

All I hear about Windows 8 is constant bitching and moaning that it's different. Well, you know what, technology changes and you have to change with it. Windows 8 is here to stay.

Laptops/computers the next 3-4 years will have Windows 8 installed on them, not Windows 7. When you got your new smart phone, you had to take at least a couple of hours to actually sit down and learn how to use the device (if not more). When you got your new tablet, lord knows you had to sit down for a long while to get it where you wanted it to go. If people would express just a little bit of patience with Windows 8, they would fall in love with it. With the exception of Windows Vista, Microsoft has a reputation of sending out safe, stable, and reliable Operating Systems.

However, (yes even your precious XP and 7) all OS's had horrible start ups, and usually took a few months before all the bugs were smashed out and things were optimized effectively. The one thing I will NOT be buying is the new Microsoft Surface, because, frankly, Microsoft should not be in the business of Hardware. They're just not that good at it. But, with Windows 8 Pro being just $39.99, I will not hesitate to update my laptop. And I will actually have the gall to sit down longer than a day to get all of the features where I want them to be. Because, unlike some of you, I don't like to be spoon-fed directions on how to set up my PC. I like to explore and make it my own. Because technology is an ever-changing industry, consumers must be willing to change with it. So I'm buying Windows 8 cheap now while I can. While you may wait for the issues to be fixed, in time, you too will join the minority of Windows 8 supporters.

by Anonymousreply 22011/14/2012

Amen, R220. And most of the bitching is also coming from people who haven't used it (or claim to have, but can't cite anything specific, which calls their claim into question).

I'll bet those above that bitched that they hated it and are uninstalling it... only to fall completely silent when questioned for any details of why... were just trolling, and never installed it to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 22111/16/2012

An OS that fits a tablet and desktop is good for nobody.

Some complaints: -confusing -no Start button on desktop -new Start screen with flipping tiles looks trashy -bugs in apps -Mail: no ability to add new folders or drag messages to a specific folder -Mail doesn't consolidate inboxes for multiple accounts -won't import anything from other MS mail programs -Office not touch friendly

by Anonymousreply 22211/16/2012

I really like 8, but I don't care for any of the apps. The feature that I really like is, when you're in the metro screen, to search for a document you just start typing and a list immediately populates. Negates the need for Google Desktop, which is nice. Once the app selection expands, I'm sure Ill use metro more.

Once you get past the learning curve (a day or two), it is incredibly intuitive. My boyfriend was asking me how to switch between desktop and metro and I couldn't even tell him without actually doing it on the computer - it became second nature very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 22311/16/2012

[quote]An OS that fits a tablet and desktop is good for nobody.

An empty assertion, false on the face of it.

[quote]-confusing

Anything new is "confusing" until you learn it. Especially when it's a significant (and necessary) break with the past. Automobiles once confused people tremendously. The original iPad confused a lot of people.

[quote]-no Start button on desktop

Dumbest complaint ever. Like complaining an Automobile doesn't have a buggy-whip. It's utterly redudnant and unnecesary... and would be "inconsistent" with the rest of the OS. Again, if you actually take the time to understand, this change makes perfect sense. And it's not missed.

[quote]-new Start screen with flipping tiles looks trashy

More stupidity. You understand this is customizable, right? You can turn off all the flipping tiles. Hell, unpin everything if you want, leaving only desktop. But that'd be dumb too. Better to configure it how you want it... it's your application launcher. If you don't use something, just remove it.

[quote]-Mail: no ability to add new folders or drag messages to a specific folder... -Mail doesn't consolidate inboxes for multiple accounts... -won't import anything from other MS mail programs

This isn't an OS issue. It's a Metro app issue. If you're on Windows 8, just install whatever mail client you like... Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail from Windows Live Eseentials... whatever you want. And trust that the metro "Mail" app is a version 1.0 app... the features you are complaining about will be coming in the next months. This is an issue for WinRT users (who can't install desktop apps) but not for Windows 8.

[quote]-Office not touch friendly

Office 2013 is MORE touch friendly than any previous version of office. But sure. So? Use a mouse and a keyboard. Or keyboard and trackpad (even Surface with WinRT has these options).

by Anonymousreply 22411/16/2012

[quote]I really like 8, but I don't care for any of the apps

My favorite apps so far are games, with "Wordament" being highly addictive (and free).

How to switch between Desktop and Metro? Tap the windows key. It's a toggle (as long as desktop is running).

by Anonymousreply 22511/16/2012

Windows 8 seems to have solved several problems I was having with Windows 7. The computer was freezing up, the screen would freeze, go out, then come back, and I would have to restart the computer to get it going again. I have had Windows 8 now for a couple of months and haven't had a single screen freeze or display blinking! I love it!

by Anonymousreply 22611/16/2012

That wasn't Win8, r226, reinstalling Win7 would've done the same thing. I'm getting ready to format and reinstall Vista on mine because of a freezing problem.

Why are there few people here complaining about Win8? Because most people who have it now are early adopters, who have a vested interest in believing they made a good decision to buy it. Wait until after Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas, we'll see what people who didn't choose it have to say, people who are stuck with it because it's installed on all new non-Mac computers

by Anonymousreply 22711/17/2012

You're re-installing VISTA, and you have the audacity to put down Windows 8?

Really?

[italic]Really?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 22811/17/2012

I already own a copy of Vista, I'm not buying Win8 just because you did. I'll get stuck with it when I buy a new computer, that'll be plenty soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 22911/17/2012

Tanking in the marketplace.

Maybe that's why that guy who spearheaded the Win8 intro flew the coop.

Where DL's resident MSFT troll for comment?

by Anonymousreply 23011/17/2012

[quote]I already own a copy of Vista, I'm not buying Win8 just because you did. I'll get stuck with it when I buy a new computer, that'll be plenty soon enough.

I didn't mean to insinuate you should buy Win8... I'm just curious why you never went to the vastly superior Windows 7.

The upgrade is totally worth the money. I used Vista for 3 years, and loved moving to Win7.

by Anonymousreply 23111/17/2012

This is video of an hour-long talk given about how/why Windows 8 turned out the way it did. It's actually pretty interesting:

by Anonymousreply 23211/21/2012

It's an interesting video at R232, but I doubt most people in this thread will take the time to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 23311/24/2012

Microsoft has failed.

by Anonymousreply 23411/27/2012

What a complete load of horseshit, r234

It's way too early to jump to that sort of conclusion. Never mind the ignorant trollish "WART" nonsense.

Pure hater propaganda and FUD.

by Anonymousreply 23511/27/2012

Anyone who says Win8 sucks hasn't used it. It's great. As for the "Start" button, big deal.

I have a copy of Win8, when you first log in, you get a different screen and in the upper right corner is a button that takes you to your traditional desktop.

You have to hit ONE EXTRA icon.

Win8 is faster than Win7 much more secure and is cheap.

So if you don't like Win8, you're either stupid or just well stupid, there's really no other choice.

by Anonymousreply 23611/27/2012

The only people I know who use windows of any sort are very old, very poor and/or know zilch about computers.

by Anonymousreply 23711/27/2012

R237 doesn't get out much.

by Anonymousreply 23811/27/2012

Ha ha, the reviews just keep adding up.

"Well-known Internet entrepreneur and MIT professor Philip Greenspun handed Windows 8 one of its most damning reviews yet earlier this week, calling the new operating system a “Christmas gift for someone you hate.”

by Anonymousreply 23912/06/2012

Microsoft Store slashes prices on Windows 8 tablets, hybrids

by Anonymousreply 24004/03/2013

Are people really this invested in having a technology identity? Jesus, people defend Windows and Mac like they're political parties. Who gives a fuck? They both work. Do you really have some grand sense of being one way or the other?

by Anonymousreply 24104/03/2013

He's just stating, what everyone else has stated who has actually TRIED Windows8, that it is a big humongous piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 24204/03/2013

[R42] That might be but I love Windows 8. You can use it as a desktop and will be nearly the same as before. Was effortless to learn. The new browser is the best in the business.

by Anonymousreply 24304/03/2013

Here's a trick I find helpful when reading these threads, R241: mentally substitute "Fantastik" for "Windows" and "Formula 409" for "Mac." The comments make just as much sense.

by Anonymousreply 24404/03/2013

You are beyond stupid, r244.

I have not had near the trouble with my Apple computers that I used to have with my old computers running Windows.

Well worth the switch in my case.

by Anonymousreply 24504/03/2013

Get a load of the Formula 409 shill at R245. "Oh, who cares about breaking up tough grease on contact? I just [italic]love[/italic] that fresh scent!" Preposterous!

by Anonymousreply 24604/03/2013

Shill or not, you are still beyond stupid, r246.

by Anonymousreply 24704/03/2013

I initially liked Windows 8 quite a bit but it's got networking problems. I've never had problems with Windows recognising my networked printer until Windows 8. I'll be going back to Windows 7 soon.

by Anonymousreply 24804/03/2013

R246, R247 = really stupid

by Anonymousreply 24904/03/2013

Long time Mac user (over 20 years) and I've just brought my 1st windows laptop a month or so back. I needed some products that are only available from Microsoft, hence the purchase.

I don't mind Windows 8. I've used almost every other version since Win95 at various workplaces, and always found them a bit frustrating and unreliable. Windows 8 has been a decent welcome for me, but I'm not a fan of the metro start screen. It seems clunky and unnecessary to work in two different modes. Desktop is a much better experience. Fast and fluid. Not sure it's worth the upgrade from 7, but it's not as terrible as some people preach.

That said, I still think OSX on Mac is more solid than Windows 8. Does everything much faster again.

And with that said, Windows Phone 8 on Nokia, which I also have, is faaaaar superior to iPhone, which I'm officially done with.

by Anonymousreply 25004/03/2013

Well, I've been using Windows 8 for about a week now, and although I don't hate it, I don't think it's anything special either. I don't have a touchscreen on my laptop, and even if I did, I wouldn't use that feature because it's easier to just use my mouse when I'm on my laptop. Plus, why would I want to get my screen dirty with fingerprints? That's fine for my phone since it's easier to clean, but not my laptop screen.

Basically, as soon as my computer starts up, I either click the Desktop tile or push the Windows button on the keyboard and go straight to the desktop.

by Anonymousreply 25104/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 25204/19/2013

[bold]Microsoft prepares rethink on Windows 8 flagship software[/bold]

Microsoft is preparing to reverse course over key elements of its Windows 8 operating system, marking one of the most prominent admissions of failure for a new mass-market consumer product since Coca-Cola’s New Coke fiasco nearly 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 25305/07/2013

Damnit R253. You beat me to that story, couldn't wait to say "take that windows 8 shill"

As a user of Windows 8 first thing I did was download a start button add on.

by Anonymousreply 25405/07/2013

That story is sensationalist spin.

1) There's no need for a start button. It's utterly redundant and unnecessary.

2) The "start button" option they're planning is nothing more than yet another way to get to the start screen.

3) They aren't "reversing course" in any way.

by Anonymousreply 25505/07/2013

Got a Dell with windows 8 a few weeks ago. It is god-awful! I try to contact Dell but their support page gets covered by pop-ups for other companies. I have never seen anything like this before.

by Anonymousreply 25603/08/2014

Why the bump on a paleo-thread? Pointless.

by Anonymousreply 25703/08/2014

What is the point of replying to a thread you think is pointless? Idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 25803/08/2014

r258, it is to point out to the many people who do not look at a time date stamp that this is an OLD thread.

I do it as a courtesy for iApple trolls.

by Anonymousreply 25903/08/2014

R256, There are lots of great tips to get you over the frustrating learning curve of Windows 8.

R192 is a decent start.

Assuming you have Windows 8.1, go to desktop (WindowsKey-D) if you're not already there), right-click the task-bar, and select "Properties".

Then click on the "Navigation" tab, and elect the boot-to-desktop option, and turn off the upper-hot corners.

Then go to the control panel (Right-click on the Start Button, and select "Control Panel" near the bottom), and then type 'Default' into the search box in the upper right of the Control panel dialog. Select "Set your Default Programs", and then after the list populates, set "Windows Media Player" for music and video files (MP3, WAV, MP4, MPG), and Windows Picture Viewer for images (PNG, JPG, GIF).

Now go to the start screen (tap the windows key), and right-click all the tiles you don't want or won't use. Then select "Unpin" from the menu at the bottom. Move the "Desktop" tiles to the upper left-most position so that it's always in an easy area to get to, and you can launch it by just pressing enter.

Now go to the all apps screen (mouse to the down arrow in the lower left) and scroll through the list of apps you have, and right-click "Pin to Start" on any app you actually use a lot.

After doing all this, you'll find it a lot less frustrating.

There's more help to be found above as well. Start Menu search is very powerful once you get used to it... tap the windows key to get to the start screen, and just start typing... it'll search for whatever you type in. Apps, files, settings, even web pages.

Rest assured that if you have an open mind, the period of frustration will end, and you'll be doing fine in no time. Learning new things can be annoying some times, but it can also be worth it.

I hope this helped!

by Anonymousreply 26003/08/2014

I've yet to be able to print out from my Win 8 desktop. Hooked up 3 separate printers and it won't recognize any of them.

by Anonymousreply 26103/08/2014

That's definitely odd. Printing works exactly the same as in Windows 7. In fact, it's generally faster and easier to set one up.

If you plug in a USB printer, most of them will just work. More obscure or much older printers may require a driver.

I installed a wireless printer quickly with no issues... something that was as LOT harder to do on Windows 7.

I believe you're having a problem, but I don't think it's a "Windows 8" problem in general... just something weird going on with your hardware/drivers/install or something. I wish I could help.

by Anonymousreply 26203/08/2014

Or the cable.

by Anonymousreply 26303/08/2014

R261 Were all 3 printers HP Printers by any chance? For years HP created their own proprietary printer drivers that never played nice with the earlier iterations of the Microsoft OS. In addition to making you shell out $60 for an ink cartridge, HP network printers would routinely loose their network connection to your host computer and you would have to reinstall the printer drivers using the disk that came with the printer just to have it wake up and find itself on the network again. The Microsoft printer drivers for HP printers almost never worked reliably. There must have been some kind of feud between those two companies that explains why device support was always so poor.

My experience using Windows 8.1 was that it found and installed a network printer without doing anything, no driver disks, no searching for an unknown printer name, none of it. It only took Microsoft 20 years to get device locating right, something that has always been pain-free and easy with a MAC from day 1. Ironically Microsoft's solution to that problem was to integrate Apple's Bonjour service into the Windows8 OS to find printers and devices. If you can't beat them, join them. However try connecting to an XP computer from a Windows8 computer via the network to share and copy files, good luck. Permission forever denied.

by Anonymousreply 26403/08/2014

Just wait for Win9.

by Anonymousreply 26503/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.