Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Skoonheid" (Beauty) - South African film

A repressed Afrikaans family man who attends secret all-male orgies with other married men becomes obsessed with the twenty-something son of a friend. Any Dataloungers seen this movie?

by Anonymousreply 1404/13/2013

Afrikaans men are HOT. I wanna see this one.

by Anonymousreply 110/20/2012

Hits iTunes on Oct 23 fr $9.99. Sounds very interesting, but potentially very disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 210/20/2012

All I know about s Africa is that us where Die Antwood come from

by Anonymousreply 310/20/2012

I just watched it. One scene was extraordinarily disturbing to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2012

Saw it at the Frameline film festival. It's powerful and disturbing. The orgy scenes are clinical and unerotic. I was stumped who would play the repressed, closeted, rageaholic in the US remake if it was ever attempted. Maybe Tammy Cruise though Russell Crowe would be a better fit.

by Anonymousreply 510/21/2012

Just watched it, too, R4 - found that scene beyond disturbing. Truth be told, I found several scenes disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 610/21/2012

Give us a spoiler: what scenes were disturbing? how does it end?

by Anonymousreply 710/21/2012

Spoiler it. What happens?

by Anonymousreply 810/21/2012

Saw it last year at Frameline. Not a fun film to watch on any level.

by Anonymousreply 910/21/2012

by Anonymousreply 1010/23/2012

Just watched this last night (Netflix). Yes, very disturbing scene(s). But my goodness, Charlie Keegan, the actor playing the son? He is just beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 1103/17/2013

Yes saw it at the 2011 Toronto film festival. The rape scene was pretty disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 1203/17/2013

Not, IMHO, a gay friendly movie. It feeds into every homophobe's nightmare about what a gay man is.

by Anonymousreply 1303/17/2013

This kinda sucked ass. The lead actor gave a brilliant performance but was let down by the wooden, unconvincing object of his affection.

Now he went with the title, but the fatal flaw was, pretty as he was, he just didn't register as the straight character he was meant to be. The actor was all wrong for the part other than in looks.

Although the graphic rape scene was nasty, I wasn't surprised. From the very first second it began it kinda foreshadowed it - he wanted to fuck him. The only thing we didn't know at that point was anything about the young character.

As someone else said it was kinda like a remake of Death in Venice which it shares its super slow pacing with but not a classic like that.

Fans of this might like Post Tendebras Lux which has a hugely creepy uncomfortable scene but I thought was better. It's super arthouse, impenetrable and pretentious but watchable I thought compared to Terrence Malick. Maybe not so much on DVD though.

by Anonymousreply 1404/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.