Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Republicunt, Christine M. Flowers: Conservatives Are "Born That Way," Much Like Homosexuality

Christine M. Flowers: My right-wing views are part of my DNA

By Christine M. Flowers

Philadelphia Daily News

I'VE COME to believe that conservatism is genetic, not environmental. After all, to take a page from the gay community, why would I choose a lifestyle that subjects me to criticism, discrimination and general vilification if I wasn't born that way?

Now, allow me to dislodge my tongue from cheek, and I'll explain how social conservatives have become the new Nazis for some people. In fact, we've been lumped together with the SS by disgruntled citizens from Wisconsin to New Jersey, most of whom pay union dues and seem to have a particular penchant for depicting their governors as Hitler.

(And don't get me started on Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann, either of whom can't make a slip of the tongue without the New York Times, MSNBC and the rest of the media lynch mob turning them into a cross between Aimee Semple McPherson and Leni Reifenstahl.)

Some like to say that a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged, but that's simply a way to denigrate those of us who believe in personal responsibility. Liberals tend to sympathize with the mugger, and have a hard time waking up to the fact that not every miscreant on the street is a Jean Valjean looking for bread to feed his starving family. Sometimes, if it walks like a thug, talks like a thug and looks like a thug, it is a thug - and no amount of social engineering will make the thug sympathetic.

Social conservatives, as opposed to their fiscal and foreign-policy neocon cousins, have had a particularly hard time of it.

While the mainstream media drums up grudging appreciation for a guy like Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, who says we should abandon our fixation on social issues - and even had a (temporary) crush on Rudy Giuliani, who balanced his law-and-order creds with moderate views on abortion and gay marriage - anyone who is pro-life, anti-gay marriage, supports religion in the public square and thinks that the Equal Rights Amendment was a savvy scam is anathema to the Fourth Estate.

And when the media is agin' ye, thee has a problem, Pilgrim - because most of the Pulitzer-winning opinionators out there are unabashedly liberal, and seemingly incapable of believing that a rational being can ever be against abortion, same-sex unions, institutional atheism and anything else opposed by evolutionary amoebas like me.

So that's why I'm convinced social conservatism is a matter of DNA, not GOP, since anyone with a sense of self-preservation wouldn't willingly choose to live a life where you are considered a bigot, racist, misogynistic or, my very favorite, hopelessly stupid. Even those of us with advanced degrees, like Bachmann, a tax lawyer, are ridiculed as clueless simply because we don't sound like subscribers to Ms. magazine.

Our brothers and sisters in the gay community have made great inroads with the idea that they were born with their particular sexual orientation, something they neither acquired nor necessarily desired. They just "are," which helped reach the recent decision legalizing same-sex marriage in New York.

And while I used to struggle against that interpretation, given my strong belief that we are not slaves to biology, I have to admit that it makes life an awful lot easier if we can just say, "Hey, it's not my decision that I'm this way, so don't hate me for it!"

That's why I've decided that the next time someone writes a snarky comment after one of my op-eds calling me a mean-spirited "rhymes-with-witch," I'll try to convince them that believing in the sanctity of life from the moment of conception is as much a part of me as my attraction to men.

And the next time I get an email telling me I'm a coldhearted "rhymes-with-punt" because I don't think that the homeless should be able to use the sidewalk for a toilet, I'll argue that wanting to keep innocent citizens safe from unpredictably dangerous mental patients is as much a part of me as my Italian heritage.

And the next time I get a voice mail wondering why the Daily News employs a disgustin

by Anonymousreply 2502/16/2013

Yeah. Um. No.

by Anonymousreply 110/19/2012

Therefore, Christine, all political leanings are predisposed and there's no point in political campaigns. Bitch, you could save the country billions... only you're a hypocrite who wouldn't

by Anonymousreply 210/19/2012

Wasn't there an article in the NY Times a bit ago that did, in fact, find a genetic relationship between brain structure and left/right political opinion?

Oh, and a recent study that conservatives are inherentally dumber?

by Anonymousreply 310/19/2012

In a way, she's right.

We're all born absolutely ignorant. But some of us -- those who don't grow up to be conservative -- actually learn some stuff over time.

by Anonymousreply 410/19/2012

Why are there 2 threads in 1 day about this woman?

Does anyone outside of Philadelphia know or care about her?

by Anonymousreply 510/19/2012

[quote] Sometimes, if it walks like a thug, talks like a thug and looks like a thug, it is a thug - and no amount of social engineering will make the thug sympathetic.

thug = n*gger

Now you understand her viewpoint more clearly.

by Anonymousreply 610/19/2012

[quote](And don't get me started on Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann, either of whom can't make a slip of the tongue without the New York Times, MSNBC and the rest of the media lynch mob turning them into a cross between Aimee Semple McPherson and Leni Reifenstahl.)

Nonsense. Riefenstahl at least had a functioning brain.

by Anonymousreply 710/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 810/20/2012

[quote]Sometimes, if it walks like a thug, talks like a thug and looks like a thug, it is a thug - and no amount of social engineering will make the thug sympathetic. thug = n*gger

Funny my first thought when I hear the word thug anymore are the soulless Cheney's of this world and the likes of companies like Monsanto and families like the Waltons or the Bushes.

by Anonymousreply 910/20/2012

I do think there is some truth to this in political leanings. But unlike gay/bi/straight, it's obvious that leanings can be overcome by life and learning.

But she's still a nasty cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1010/20/2012

Yet another reason to champion abortion

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2012

Gay people should have been born with some sort of physical attribute, like a horn on their forehead. This would end all talk that homsoexuality occurs because of ones environment. Gayface just isn't enough, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2012

She's right in that if you are born a stupid cunt, you're more likely to grow up and vote Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2012

"Wasn't there an article in the NY Times a bit ago that did, in fact, find a genetic relationship between brain structure and left/right political opinion? "

Yeah, the study basically said that people either see the wider world as a threatening, or not. People who see the world as threatening believe they need to stick to their own kind (and that their group needs a strong leader), and are conservative. Liberals see the world as being made up of people like themselves, so they believe in social equality and democratic societies.

The study reinforced my old belief that strong conservative is based on overwhelming fear, both fear of strangers and fear of one's own leader.

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2012

So wait-she's saying people are born homosexual? Won't that get her drummed out of the corps?

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2012

HILARIOUS! I CANT STAND THIS COLD HEARTED IGNORANT BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 1802/16/2013

[quote]And don't get me started on Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann, either of whom can't make a slip of the tongue without the New York Times, MSNBC and the rest of the media lynch mob...

I suspect her editor's failure to correct the either to neither is yet more evidence of the vast liberal media conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 1902/16/2013

This is a perfect example of the kind of homophobia the media still let slide. Has she ever been mugged? Uh, no, she hasn't, at least that you can tell by this piece. Is she a person without the self-esteem to argue her point of view? On the contrary, she thinks she's super clever and persuasive. What then is the point of this article? Is it about abortion, economics, crime? No. It attempts to make gays seem absurd by the assertion that opposition to gays is a biological imperative that cannot be argued. It is the latest in an endless series of attempts to redefine gays not as people and only as sins that they commit.

by Anonymousreply 2002/16/2013

"I've come to be more and more delusional."

by Anonymousreply 2102/16/2013

These people always feel so aggrieved about... everything.

And that she discounts science (gay people having made inroads with the idea we're born this way) and fact (no one forces tax lawyer Michelle Bachmann to say things like "I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat president Jimmy Carter. And I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence" or '"If we took away the minimum wage -- if conceivably it was gone -- we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level." or well, you follow...

by Anonymousreply 2202/16/2013

[quote]Gay people should have been born with some sort of physical attribute, like a horn on their forehead.

I love my gay son but - ouch! That's a game changer.

by Anonymousreply 2302/16/2013

Her headstone should read:

Christine M. Flowers

"A blooming idiot. From the day she was born. Rest in peace, bitch."

by Anonymousreply 2402/16/2013

Oh boo hoo hoo hoo hoo!

by Anonymousreply 2502/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.