Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Flight" with Denzel Washington

Any buzz? I love the shot with the flight attendant bracing her self with her leg in the aisle as the plane tilts!

by Anonymousreply 3712/08/2014

Denzel is very good in it, and I'm not wowed by him too often. Sure Oscar possibility. He also puts an end to the urban legend that Denzel will not do interracial romance - there is a long, fairly explicit affair with British actress Kelly Reilly in the film (she plays Watson's wife in the Sherlock Holmes films, and she is very good in this as trailer trash).

I dismissed Bob Zemeckis as a shallow gadgeteer years ago - I think the last movie of his I wholeheartedly liked was Roger Rabbit - but I didn't know he was capable of something quite this raw. It's not some masterpiece, but it is a solid, tough character piece. The last scene is a little twee.

by Anonymousreply 110/18/2012

Incidentally, the ads are trumpeting Melissa Leo. Melissa Leo is in one key sequence in the third act where she goes up against Denzel, that's it.

Props go to L&O:SVU and soap opera star Tamara Tunie also, as the head stewardess on the plane. The plane crash sequence is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 210/18/2012

Does the plane really fly upside down or is that a dream sequence?

by Anonymousreply 310/18/2012

It's no dream. He rolls the plane to arrest its descent.

Most of the movie is the investigation afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 410/18/2012

Does anyone know the "true insider" story of how the very appealing Denzel achieved his Hollywood career?

by Anonymousreply 710/18/2012

No r7, but please tell us!!!

by Anonymousreply 810/18/2012

[quote]I love the shot with the flight attendant bracing her self with her leg in the aisle as the plane tilts!

How completely random OP, but I love that shot as well. I actually paused the trailer on that exact spot to study it. She is really serving up distress on a platter in that shot with her leg and her face. I love up. That chick is a STAR!

by Anonymousreply 910/18/2012

by Anonymousreply 1010/20/2012

Does he play "Denzel" this time, or does he manage to do some acting for a change?

After that dull , pointless and anticlimactic "OMG wegotta stop this train" snooze-o-rama from a couple of years ago, I won't risk wasting any more money or time watching him dead-pan his way through any more movies.

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2012

I misread the thread title as "Fight with Dinah Washington." Imagine my disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2012

They're touting him for an Oscar nom, but after seeing the trailer I think not. It looks like one of those edge of your seat type thrillers which I will not see because I don't like to see movies about plane crashes.

I also don't see him "acting" any differently than he has in most of his other movies. I love him, I enjoy his movies, but his range is limited. It doesn't matter who he plays.

I've seen most of his movies. Yes, even that stupid train movie. Both train movies, Pelham 1,2,3, and Unstoppable. I've even seen Safe House. Honestly, the two movies he got Oscars for, Glory & Training Day, that was it for him.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2012

Where's the Oscar predictions thread? Will someone please link it? I'm having search issues.

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2012

[quote]They're touting him for an Oscar nom, but after seeing the trailer I think not.

So you think he won't get an Oscar nomination based on two minutes of footage of a two hour movie. OK then.

by Anonymousreply 1510/20/2012

no hes an antigay republican asshole

by Anonymousreply 1610/20/2012

He's not anti-gay. And he is definitely not a Rethuglican. Hasn't been for years.

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2012

His range is limited, but so was Sidney Poitier's. He certainly doesn't have the range of an actor like Jeffrey Wright.

by Anonymousreply 1910/20/2012

It's not a thriller at all.

It is a very tough, very gritty and harsh character piece. Denzel plays an addict who drinks, drugs and whores to the bottom, who also happens to be a brilliant pilot.

I think he and Zemeckis are wildly overrated, but they both do a really, really fine job here. I didn't know Zemeckis could direct human beings anymore, and he certainly has never done anything this dark.

Again, no masterpiece, and the last scene is a bit too sappy, but it's good.

by Anonymousreply 2010/20/2012

[quote]Does anyone know the "true insider" story of how the very appealing Denzel achieved his Hollywood career?

This has to be a joke, right? If you look like that on screen and are a good actor, its only a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 2110/20/2012

Looks boring. No one would pay to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 2210/20/2012

r12 that was a laugh ou tloud moment for me. You is one elder gay fo' sho!

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2012

Watching Denzel on Letterman tonight: he just reeks of being an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2410/30/2012

Was the Oscar for Training Day sort of a lifetime achievement award? The role was nothing special. He deserved it for Malcolm X, not Training Day.

by Anonymousreply 2510/30/2012

The Training Day Oscar was widely seen as a make-up award for Malcom X and/or The Hurricane. You rarely win for your best work.

I think it's true that he often phones it in these days, but so does Robert DeNiro. There just aren't a lot of good roles for guys in that age range (fewer still for black men), and I guess they can't stay interested playing the same formula thing year after year, especially when you've had great roles in the past that really challenged you. Maybe the death of Tony Scott will encourage him to try new things. That auteur marriage didn't produce anything but decent box office receipts. The films and roles were mediocre across the board.

by Anonymousreply 2610/30/2012

That actress was the one that played in the episode Charlottes a lesbian in SATC!

by Anonymousreply 2711/19/2012

I just saw this film tonight, and I enjoyed it. It was difficult to watch, but I thought Denzel washington's performance was outstanding. I have never really thought he has given a great performance, but he was very convincing as an addict in this film.

by Anonymousreply 2812/24/2012

It was good, not great. The first 30 mins is excellent but the rest is pretty predictable.

The AA scenes and God talk was too preachy by a mile and the last scene tainted the whole movie - not believable.

Also, the convenient farm left to him by his father was an inexcusably lame plot device. And who would drive around drunk like that during the day, just asking to be pulled over? Hammy acting in the drunk scenes, too.

Plus, the whole "he's too drunk to speak at the hearing so let's get him coked up" device was absurd given the circumstances.

Surprised John Hawkes took such a tiny tole, but he was good. I thought John Goodman stole the movie in his two brief scenes. Maybe an Oscar nom even (if not for ARGO)?

HATED the music, though - it was like every cliche movie song from the last 30 years all used in one movie ("Sympathy For The Devil", "Gimme Shelter", etc.).

by Anonymousreply 2901/07/2013

He always reeked of being an asshole r24. The Daliy Mail had a recent gossip article on him celebrating his wedding Anniversary. One comment mentioned his cheating and the Denzel fans attacked the poster. His fans will cover their eyes and ears to not hear it.

by Anonymousreply 3001/07/2013

Watching this now it is another cliched piece of shit from hack Zemeckis. The soundtrack is so obvious it feels like an old mix tape from the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2014

Denzel Washington is overrated? In comparison to...? Not many men can carry a movie the way Denzel can. Most recognized actors play the same role in a different movie.

Why he is being compared to Jeffrey Wright I do not know, except oh, all black actors should be compared.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2014

It is a very good film.

I never saw Philadelphia, or any of his other films. This really was an incredible performance.

Someone posted when this thread was new that, him driving around in broad daylight shitfaced was implausible. But I can tell you it is not. When I used to drink like that (round the clock every day) I never gave it a thought. Also when maintaining a blood alcohol level to function,it takes a multiple day bender to even seem impaired. I mention this because it's why I found his performance so real. I have never felt anything close to what being that kind of alcoholic is like than the acting Denzel Washington does in Flight. It makes almost every other actor playing a drunk look second rate. I only saw this movie recently. Bright House cable was offering a free preview of a pay channel. Otherwise I never would have known what a great movie this is. I watched it twice.

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2014

[quote]Denzel Washington is overrated? In comparison to...?

Denzel is to film what Obama is to the Presidency.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2014

Liked it but did not love it.

Flight basically posed the question "What would have happened if Chesley Sullenberger hadn't been the media-darling-camera-ready-all-American hero pilot he was?"

Not that the plot was about this, but the whole idea that Denzel could evade the media as easily he did seemed preposterous.

A few plot devices towards the end also lacked credibility.

And yes, what was with the cliched Scorsese-like soundtrack. Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2014

Until the scene where Denzel breaks down at the hearing, I actually thought it was going to be an interesting film about the dark side of heroism and the media, with Denzel's character lying and getting away with it. Of course, it had to be ruined with the last minute, completely out of character admission of alcoholism. Zemeckis and his mentor Spielberg just can't make a honest ending to any of their films.

by Anonymousreply 3612/07/2014

Making the pilot be Denzel was just a stunt.

by Anonymousreply 3712/08/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!