Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gallup releases largest study done to date which shows 3.4% of adults identified as LBGT.

Some highlights from this study are that contrary to what you might assume whites were the least likely( 3.2%) to identify as LBGT while blacks were the highest (4.6%)

Among my generation (18-29) 6.4% identified as LBGT which was 8.6% of women and 4.6% of men. As opposed to 65+ were only 1.9% of people identified as such.

Overall a very powerful and informative study that I highly recommend reading through.

by Anonymousreply 6411/11/2012

Not even close to the true number.

by Anonymousreply 110/18/2012

Still a lot of closet cases, except for the young ladies.

Men are pussies.

by Anonymousreply 210/18/2012

Those eldergays that were self loathing HOMOSEXUALS will NEVAH identify as gay!!!

They will be dying off.

by Anonymousreply 310/18/2012

They probably oversampled straight people!

by Anonymousreply 410/18/2012

Yeah, but it's only in America, not the world.

As stated, most are still closeted. The GOP adds another 15%.

by Anonymousreply 510/18/2012

It isn't supposed to be the true number of people with same-sex attractions R1, it is supposed to be exactly what it is...what percentage of Americans will self-identify as LBGT when asked by asked by a pollster.

That is still real information.

by Anonymousreply 610/18/2012

You're right r6. Some people just don't know how to process information.

by Anonymousreply 710/19/2012

[quote]Among my generation (18-29) 6.4% identified as LBGT which was 8.6% of women and 4.6% of men. As opposed to 65+ were only 1.9% of people identified as such.

This sounds about right. There are many reasons that older people would report less LGBT identification (including loss of interest in sex), so looking at the young is a better reflection of the actual incidence.

Factor in the closet cases and the real number is probably 7-8% overall, which is consistent with past research.

by Anonymousreply 810/19/2012

Key word being "identify". I'd guess closer to 6 or 7 percent.

by Anonymousreply 910/19/2012

Must be the same ones afraid to put Obama stickers on their cars.

by Anonymousreply 1010/19/2012

KEEP in mind that millions of dudes who have sex with dudes are like these guys, they identify as totally straight.

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2012

This is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2012

10% has always been a bullshit figure.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2012

Oh please, only 3% of men are gay. I, alone, have probably fucked at least 10% of the men's population in California.

My theory: Openly gay men (who identify publicly as gay) represent maybe, at best, only 10% of male attracted men. And that is probably still being very generous.

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2012

WHORE

by Anonymousreply 1510/20/2012

[quote]Among my generation (18-29) 6.4% identified as LBGT which was 8.6% of women and 4.6% of men. As opposed to 65+ were only 1.9% of people identified as such.

Putting fluoride in the water has had the desired effect.

by Anonymousreply 1610/20/2012

[quote]Openly gay men (who identify publicly as gay) represent maybe, at best, only 10% of male attracted men. And that is probably still being very generous.

What's stopping the other ones, self-loathing, gay loathing, or fear?

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2012

So there are twice as many lesbians as gay guys?

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2012

There are likely the same amount of each, r18. I too believe openly gay men are a minority of male attracted men.

by Anonymousreply 1910/20/2012

R17, in no particular order: cultural stigma, religion, societal pressures, not wanting to be seen as "less than a man", not wanting to be bullied, needing to conform to family values, etc. And as people can see from the rash of gay boy suicides, things are STILL NOT BETTER FOR YOUNG GAY BOYS/MEN! Especially outside of New York/Los Angeles.

Almost every single culture, uniformly across the globe, instills in its young men the notion that being gay is "negative" or "shameful." It's damn well impressive that even 3 to 4% of men openly admit to it.

There are so many guys who have sex with guys, who are a). married with children and b). only have sex w/ men on the "down low" and c). identify as "straight." They can't even admit to themselves that they are less than straight . . . how in the heck are they going to answer honestly to some stranger's questions over a phone?

I am not making excuses for them, but the truth is the truth. But I would gladly funnel my money into improving young gay male acceptance and visibility and programs rather than stupid fucking GAY MARRIAGE, which has monopolized 100% of LGBT efforts for the last five years!!

by Anonymousreply 2010/20/2012

R18, I am willing to bet that over 70% of those young women answering "lesbian/bi" are bisexual, and of those "bisexual chicks", maybe a fraction are actually les/bi.

Don't ya know: identifying as a "bi chick/fake lesbian" is the trendy, cool thing to do. The opposite does not hold true for young men.

by Anonymousreply 2110/20/2012

If there's so much more acceptance and openness among the young now, why does the general figure remain the same? The 3 percent figure has been fairly standard and stable for a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 2210/20/2012

When I put my cock in a girl, I get this weird tingly hot feeling from her cunt juice.

It feels good and makes me cum faster.

Is that normal?

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2012

the biggest reason most same-sex oriented men will not identify as gay or bisexual is because the term "gay" is associated with male efffeminancy, and almost all guys, avoid anything that they perceive will undermine their manhood. Thus, most men who are attracted to men will never identify as gay.

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2012

R26, you remind me of my homophobic female cousin: Just the type of FRAUWHORE that tries to wish away the gay while her own hubby is getting rimmed and assfucked from his Craigslist hookups.

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2012

How'd you come to the conclusion that I'm trying to wish away the gay??? The more the merrier. But sorry, reality is nowhere near 10%. You (and I) wish.

by Anonymousreply 2810/20/2012

R28, you unfortunately have a very unrealistic [southern? midwestern?] idea of how many men actually enjoy dick and gay sex vs. the relatively small number that admit it.

by Anonymousreply 2910/20/2012

For a while I worked in a VD clinic in a 'city' near mostly small towns. Not a huge metropolitan area.

Gay was an identity that was rarely used, but probably 40% of the men who came in admitted to having sex with another man, but maybe 1% used the word gay.

by Anonymousreply 3010/20/2012

First, you can add the 4.4% who refused to answer or said they didn't know to the total of gays. No straight refuses to answer that they're straight.

So that brings the percentage of gay people who are not out-and-out lying to 7.8%. And really, that's not a terrible percentage because it doesn't take into account the number who are closeted or who have occasional same-sex sex but who honestly don't think that makes them anything but straight (the fools).

by Anonymousreply 3110/20/2012

IT has been said before, but only guys who are outted by another or circumstances openly identify as gay. As by circumstances, that included dudes who are so unmasculine that society already concludes that they have to be gay and treat them as such. It is sad that men are so cowardly or feel gay identity is so stigmatized and negative, but many guys openly admit to same-sex attraction and activity but when punch you if you say they are gay. The term gay has taken on non-sexual cultural connotation that especially scare off men from identifying with the term.

by Anonymousreply 3210/20/2012

Many men today are like Frank Ocean. They will admit interest or activity with men, but they dare not call themselves gay. Some will call themselves bi or "open" or even omnisexual, but not gay.

by Anonymousreply 3310/20/2012

R18-There are fewer lesbians than gay men. There are tons of bisexual women, however. It's kind of a fashion label.

[quote]I, alone, have probably fucked at least 10% of the men's population in California.

Key word: California, where the gay population is much higher than the typical state. Think of your High School class. Intuitively, does 1 out of 15-20 make more sense than 1 out of 10. It certainly does for me.

If you went to a performing arts high school, your mileage may vary.

R33--the survey includes bisexuals.

by Anonymousreply 3410/20/2012

Nearly 10% of Self-Proclaimed 'Straight' Men Only Have Sex With Men

WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Sept. 18, 2006 -- Nearly one in 10 men who say they're straight have sex only with other men, a New York City survey finds.

And 70% of those straight-identified men having sex with men are married.

In fact, 10% of all married men in this survey report same-sex behavior during the past year.

This means safe-sex messages aimed at straight and gay men are likely missing this important subgroup, suggest Preeti Pathela, DrPH, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and colleagues.

"To reduce the burden of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV infection among men who have sex with men, it is of utmost importance for [health care] providers to take a sexual history that ascertains the sex of a partner," Pathela and colleagues report. "Asking about a patient's sexual identity will not adequately assess his risk." Straight Men Who Have Sex With Men

In 2003, Pathela's team performed telephone interviews with nearly 4,200 New York City men. They conducted the interviews in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Russian; a translation service helped with interviews in Greek, Korean, Yiddish, Polish, and Haitian Creole.

In nearly every study of sexual behavior, the percentage of men who report sex with men is higher than the percentage of men who report being gay.

So Pathela and colleagues first asked the men if they were bisexual, gay, or straight. Then they asked about specific sexual behaviors.

Some of the findings:

Straight-identified men who have sex with men report fewer sex partners than gay men. Straight-identified men who have sex with men report fewer STDs in the past year than gay men. Straight-identified men who have sex with men are less likely than gay men to report using a condom during their last sexual encounter. Straight-identified men who have sex with men are more likely to be foreign born than gay men.

Also, a man who says he is straight but is having sex with other men is more likely to be married than a straight man who has sex with women, according to the survey. Only 54% of the men who say they're straight and have sex with women are married, compared with the 70% marriage rate among the men who say they're straight but have sex with men.

Pathela and colleagues note that because they report fewer STDs and fewer sex partners than gay men, straight-identified men who have sex with men may think they are at lower risk of HIV and STDs. This isn't necessarily so.

The men with whom these straight-identified men have sex may themselves have multiple sex partners and elevated STD and HIV risk. The low rate of condom use makes the straight-identified men vulnerable.

"Prevention messages should focus on the activities that pose risk -- for example, unprotected receptive anal sex -- and should not be framed to appeal solely to gay-identified men," Pathela and colleagues suggest.

The findings appear in the Sept. 19 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine.

by Anonymousreply 3510/20/2012

Exit polling in the last decade or so has likewise found that three to four percent of people tell pollsters that they are gay or bisexual on Election Day.

by Anonymousreply 3610/20/2012

[quote]Think of your High School class. Intuitively, does 1 out of 15-20 make more sense than 1 out of 10. It certainly does for me.

Precisely. That's always my argument too. There is no way in hell 1 out of 10 guys at my high school were gay. Of my graduating class of about 150 students, only two guys turned out to be gay--myself being one of them. And I know of two females who are now openly lesbians and a couple of others who I'm positive are lesbian even though they're still masquerading as straight on Facebook. So lets say six homos out of 150 students. That's 4%. Seems about right!

by Anonymousreply 3710/20/2012

Just drop the labels, let people marry who they want and forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 3810/20/2012

"There is no way in hell 1 out of 10 guys at my high school were gay."

How many out of 10 would you say have engaged in same-sex sexual behavior since junior high?

by Anonymousreply 3910/20/2012

WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Sept. 18, 2006 -- Nearly one in 10 men who say they're straight have sex only with other men, a New York City survey finds.

And 70% of those straight-identified men having sex with men are married.

In fact, 10% of all married men in this survey report same-sex behavior during the past year.

by Anonymousreply 4010/20/2012

Not one out of ten, R39.

by Anonymousreply 4110/20/2012

[quote]Nearly one in 10 men who say they're straight have sex only with other men, a New York City survey finds.

^The key words there are NEW YORK CITY. That is not representative of the population as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2012

If I'm in a room with 20 people, there will be about 3 or 4 gay people: 1) Myself, 2) a dyke, 3) another gayish guy and 4) someone heavily closeted, casting furtive glances at me, silently vowing he/she will get rid of me by turning the others against me.

Happens every time.

by Anonymousreply 4310/20/2012

I wish they would top these stupid polls. Most people lie. Gay shame is still very much alive in this world. 50 years from now conduct a poll. It'll be different then.

by Anonymousreply 4410/20/2012

Furthermore, this is a Gallup poll which usually samples older, conservative people with a land line phone. The percentage of those people who identify as gay is probably much smaller than a more representative sample of all Americans.

by Anonymousreply 4510/20/2012

Seems like a good study, a lot better than the other recent studies that came in with like 2% admitting LGBT. Glad to know the younger generations don't care as much about admitting to someone who they are. And yes the flouride and tofu are finally working.

by Anonymousreply 4610/20/2012

This is true!

by Anonymousreply 4710/20/2012

I don't think we're ever going to get an accurate count of how many gay and lesbian people there are too many outside factors affect the answer. I'm going with the guestimate of 6-8%. Which means there are 557,899,079 gay and lesbian people in the world.

by Anonymousreply 4810/20/2012

Ha ha. That's quite a study. Three out of four adults. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 4910/20/2012

The biggest fallacy on this board is that every married guy who occasionally hooks up with men is a closet case.

First, let's define closet case. I would consider a closet case a guy who is only attracted to men, both physically and romantically, and only married a woman because he's in denial or wanted to have kids or whatever.

By definition, he's someone who should be fairly miserable, because he's sharing his life with someone he's not in love with and doesn't enjoy having sex with. Also by definition, he would be much happier if he partnered up with a man.

I suspect that's far from reality with most of these guys. I suspect most of them love their wives and don't want the marriage to end, enjoy (or used to enjoy) sex with their wives, but like a little variety, and also like the adrenaline rush of sneaking around/getting caught/etc that comes with anonymous hookups.

Throw in the fact that there is essentially no such thing as a woman who is okay with a wham-bam no-strings, no names exchanged hookup (unless cash is involved), and I'm actually surprised more bored married men don't dip into the gay pond.

by Anonymousreply 5010/20/2012

[quote]and doesn't enjoy having sex with.

A logical fallacy right there : the man does enjoy having sex with his wife, otherwise he wouldn't get hard. And no, he's not thinking of another man; no one's imagination holds up in the face of scent, sound, and tactility.

by Anonymousreply 5110/20/2012

Does this survey include 2 beer queers?

by Anonymousreply 5210/20/2012

Is this the first study where twice as many females identified as LGBT as males? I've already read that more men were gay or bisexual but maybe there's parity?

by Anonymousreply 5310/21/2012

Go to Craigslist...pick any podunk town and see the number of ads.

Str8 Man for Str8 man, no gays. A lot of men refuse the gay label.

"Prefer Men"

"Into Guys"

"Masculine for masculine."

I think 'gay' is on the way out of our language except as an insult.

by Anonymousreply 5410/21/2012

great point, r54. It's not just Craigslist. All over dating and social network sites, dudes are avoiding the way gay to describe themselves or the dudes they are seeking in droves. You will see them do it implicitly by saying things like "masculine only;" "dude into dudes," "looking to vibe with dude;" "DL only;" "bicurious;" or "mainstream." Or you are seeing it explicitly in more offensive terms such as "no gays;" "straight for straight;" "no openly gay dudes;" or "only dudes who date chicks." It is very interesting to see so many ads for and from guys who don't want to date guys who identify as gay. "

by Anonymousreply 5510/21/2012

Many of the guys R54 describes just say those things because they think masquerading as straight makes them more desirable. How many times have you heard the "My girlfriend's out of town" line. BITCH PLEASE, you ain't got no girlfriend. You know that and I know that.

by Anonymousreply 5610/22/2012

R56 rather than address your friend as 'bitch please' you might think about why gay is such a horrid identity and men don't want it.

Possibly the language you use describing men as bitches or girls and thus robbing them of their masculinity might have something to do with the fact that a lot of men want nothing to do with gay.

by Anonymousreply 5710/22/2012

Thank you for that free armchair advice, R57. I'll be sure to take that into consideration next time!

by Anonymousreply 5810/22/2012

Just because it is more "chic" or "socially acceptable" to be a bisexual woman doesn't make them any less important. You all want guys who are willing to hook up with guys to identify themselves as bisexual, and yet when a girl who is willing to hook up with a girl does such she is blasted as trying to hop on the gay bandwagon. It's hypocritical and silly.

by Anonymousreply 5910/22/2012

Five percent of voters this year were openly gay or bi, according to exit polls.

by Anonymousreply 6011/11/2012

R60, better than previous elections numbers, but still far far from reality.

Untill they start using a polygraph, these studies are useless.

by Anonymousreply 6111/11/2012

Actress,comic, and cancer activist, Tig Notaro, is out and proud and has been for a long while. This has been a brave move in La La Land. Who knows how many roles she has lost.

Her comedy routine, "Live" is now on ITUNES. You will laugh and cry. I promise.

by Anonymousreply 6211/11/2012

Their are certain ethnic groups whose males will NEVER admit to being gay no matter how many thousands of cocks they sit on. so this survey doesn't tell anything of value IMO.

by Anonymousreply 6311/11/2012

r62 You rock. Tig is raw and real and her tape is the very definition of AWESOME. Thanks for recognizing and supporting our tig.

by Anonymousreply 6411/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.