Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

In her latest film, Helen Hunt plays a sex surrogate.

by Anonymousreply 7712/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 110/17/2012

Gross. It'd be more believable if she were playing a woman who's fugly face helps turn sex addicts celibate.

by Anonymousreply 310/18/2012

She still has a career?

She's so nineties.

by Anonymousreply 410/18/2012

Horrible casting.

by Anonymousreply 510/18/2012

How is this remoely possible? She should play the mother of a 20-something who IS a surrogate.

by Anonymousreply 710/18/2012

She has sharp features.

by Anonymousreply 810/18/2012

Her face, sadly, is 3/4 forehead.

by Anonymousreply 910/18/2012

Is this a comedy?

by Anonymousreply 1010/18/2012

Saw the movie, and unfortunately, she's pretty good in it. She doesn't do that face scrunching thing she used to do on Mad About You anymore because botox had deaden those muscles.

And she's super-naked in the movie. I'm talking breasts and bush.

The real kicker is that in a weak field, she may not only be nominated for the Supporting Actress Oscar, she might actually win her second statue for it.

by Anonymousreply 1110/18/2012

I think Anne Hathaway or Amy Adams both have stronger chances.

by Anonymousreply 1210/18/2012

She and the transexual from TransAmerica could be brothers!

by Anonymousreply 1310/18/2012

Didn't she turn Hank Azaria gay after like a few months of marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1410/18/2012

No, Anne Hathaway, Sally Field, or Amy Adams will get it first.

by Anonymousreply 1510/18/2012

Have also seen the movie; she's playing a kind of earth mother free spirit whose partner doesn't mind her surrogate work. She's so thin that her nudity is asexual, and the scenes between her and the guy actually feel like therapy rather than titillation.

by Anonymousreply 1610/18/2012

More DL heresy but HH was very appealing and very good in "As Good As It Gets". She went toe-to-toe with Jack Nicholson and was worthy. The other four actresses in the field that year were British and the only memorable performance was Judi Dench in "Mrs. Brown".

I know she's hated here but it her Oscar wasn't a total travesty.

I hear she is very good in this movie. She plays a sex surrogate, not a hooker. Big difference.

by Anonymousreply 1710/18/2012

Fuck you r17!

by Anonymousreply 1810/18/2012

As Good As It Gets was a TERRIBLE movie. How the fuck was it nominated for anything?

by Anonymousreply 1910/18/2012

It wasn't terrible. It wasn't "Citizen Kane", but it was entertaining. I have the DVD and watch it now and then. I enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 2010/18/2012

I find her acting very mannered.

by Anonymousreply 2110/19/2012

As Good As It Gets is one of my guilty pleasures, mostly because of Nicholson and that dog.

by Anonymousreply 2210/19/2012

I agree with you R17

by Anonymousreply 2310/19/2012

I first read it as "Helen Hayes plays a sex surrogate."

It would have been more believable.

by Anonymousreply 2410/19/2012

As Good As It Gets is great - mainly because of Verdell, but still great.

by Anonymousreply 2510/19/2012

It's not just AGAIG. Helen was really good in Mad About You and in the Empire Falls miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 2610/19/2012

I applaud your brave contrarianism r17. I absolutely detested the cutesy Mad About You, but I didn't mind her in As Good As It Gets and I don't mind her in general. Unless the closet-case rumors are true.

by Anonymousreply 2710/19/2012

I loathed Mad About You, but I loved As Good As It Gets. Loved it. And I thought she was wonderful in it. I too saw this, and she's good in this too. Not winning an Oscar good, but adequate.

That said, when I was about 20 I waited on her and her child. She was the biggest cunt that ever cunted. She made me make her brat a new grilled cheese, because it had "too much cheese" in it. And she was such a bitch about it.

by Anonymousreply 2810/19/2012

R26 - that does sound bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 2910/19/2012

As Good As It Gets was written for Holly Hunter and the movie would have been infinitely more charming and better acted. How HH won an award for it is beyond me. She was absolutely detestable in every way.

by Anonymousreply 3110/19/2012

What does Seth McFarlane have against Helen Hunt?

by Anonymousreply 3210/19/2012

She was not detestable in every way. SHUT UP!

by Anonymousreply 3310/19/2012

As Good As It Gets is entertaining, really a vehicle for an aging leading man (Jack). Helen is fine in it, Oscar? Probably not, but words to decribe her in it like "detestable" are kind of silly. A silly opinion.

To each his own.

I am no fan of hers, never saw 60 seconds of the sitcome she was in, back in the 90s?

by Anonymousreply 3410/19/2012

All I know is that her image was the most downloaded woman of the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 3510/19/2012

PS, the movie is currently rated 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not bad.

by Anonymousreply 3610/19/2012

[quote]Unless the closet-case rumors are true.

If you've ever dared to venture into the Gillian Anderson threads, you'd know that there's fairly good evidence that she is indeed a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 3710/19/2012

I always thought Holly wanted more $ and thats why she didn't play it. I think that Michelle Pfieffer would have been a better choice than Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 3810/19/2012

Michelle would have been a far better choice. Except women who look like Michelle don't have to struggle for that long. Women who look like Helen Hunt struggle for lifetimes and dream of a rich old cray cray man to swoop in and save them.

by Anonymousreply 3910/19/2012

Ooh, good point, R39. Never thought about it that way.

by Anonymousreply 4010/19/2012

Even Hunt didn't think she deserved the Oscar. She singled out Judi Dench, saying she saw Mrs. Brown three times and was in awe.

by Anonymousreply 4110/19/2012

Mad About You doesn't get the respect it deserves as it was overshadowed by Friends and Frazier, but I think it was a funny and sometimes very funny comedy.

by Anonymousreply 4210/20/2012

I saw Helen in "Our Town" off Broadway. Some guy was video taping.....the looks of death she kept giving him were worthy of Sissy Spacek glaring at the gym teacher before she ripped her apart.

by Anonymousreply 4310/20/2012

There is something inherently bitchy about her, isn't there? Also, she has that strange sing-songy way of talking that was kind of quirky when she was younger, but is now just odd.

Does anyone remember this? Skip to 2:00 for the best scene.

by Anonymousreply 4410/20/2012

Not so much when she was younger, but nowadays she looks mean. I can totally picture her sending back a grilled cheese for having too much cheese. She has a real cunty vibe.

by Anonymousreply 4510/20/2012

She's an annoyingly one-note actress.

by Anonymousreply 4610/20/2012

She has that same angular, brittle, mean vibe that Jodie Foster has.

by Anonymousreply 4710/20/2012

She's looking better than she did a couple years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4810/21/2012

In this movie "The Sessions" (it's based on reality), the aging Hunt plays a sex surrogate (they're just glorified hookers) who services a paralyzed man played by the scrawny, homely John Hawkes. The sex scenes are, according to Newsweek "alternately illuminating and comic." It goes on:

Within minutes of their first session, a stark-naked Cheryl climbs into bed with Mark, who shrieks when his stiff arm gets caught in his sleeve as she tries to undress him. She caresses his concave abdomen, places his decrepit hand on her bare breast and jokes that "if you touch one, you have to touch the other. That's the rule." In another scene, Cheryl sits on Mark's face so he can pleasure her with his mouth. Winded by these unfamiliar delights, he sputters and cranes his neck to reach his breathing tube.

The incident still makes the real-life Cheryl laugh. "I nearly smothered him! We both thought it was funny. It's important to have a sense of humor."

The two principals in this story sound likea couple of retards. And I think if I saw this movie, and had to look at a naked Helen Hunt sitting on the face of John Hawke, I'm pretty sure I'd have to throw up.

by Anonymousreply 4910/21/2012

Wait, the character's name is Cheryl?

by Anonymousreply 5010/21/2012

What motivates a person like Helen Hunt to act in crap like this? I'm being serious.

by Anonymousreply 5110/21/2012

Someone should make a film with Hunt and Foster playing a lesbian couple. Not that Moore-Bening fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 5210/21/2012

Once she had new veneers put in, her lips looked even thinner.

by Anonymousreply 5310/21/2012

"Someone should make a film with Hunt and Foster playing a lesbian couple"

I'd prefer something more like Helen with Lauren Graham or Helen with Kate Winslet.

by Anonymousreply 5410/21/2012

"What motivates a person like Helen Hunt to act in crap like this? I'm being serious."

Getting an Oscar, that's what! This movie is getting a lot of Oscar buzz, for both her and Hawke. Show off your middle-aged tits and ass and bush and sit on a paralyzed guy's could an actress who does that NOT get nominated for an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 5510/21/2012

[quote]"Someone should make a film with Hunt and Foster playing a lesbian couple"

[quote]I'd prefer something more like Helen with Lauren Graham or Helen with Kate Winslet.

I don't really want to watch Hunt and Foster together in a film, but since one of them is an ex gay and one is gay, playing as a middle-aged lesbian couple they would be as real-life as Hollywood can go.

by Anonymousreply 5610/21/2012

I sat next to Helen Hunt at a restaurant once and she did that thing where you rest your chin on your folded hands while nodding with a "caring" yet intense look the whole fucking dinner and it was the single most insufferable thing I've ever seen in my life. If I'd been with her I would have slapped her silly.

by Anonymousreply 5710/21/2012

R57, maybe she just found out the person she was dining with had cancer.

by Anonymousreply 5810/21/2012

LOL @ R50

by Anonymousreply 5910/21/2012

Will someone explain the appeal of Ann Hathaway to me? I simply do not get it; I find her neither winsome nor charming.

by Anonymousreply 6010/21/2012

[quote]Getting an Oscar, that's what! This movie is getting a lot of Oscar buzz, for both her and Hawke. Show off your middle-aged tits and ass and bush and sit on a paralyzed guy's could an actress who does that NOT get nominated for an Oscar?

So it's done strictly for ambition. The actors don't honestly think they are acting in some great art? Guess that's what I don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 6110/21/2012

One thing Hathaway has that Hunt does not?

Full lips.

by Anonymousreply 6210/22/2012

R56 I dated them both. I went to a party with Jodie and left with Helen. It wasn't until I saw Helen's big bare ass that I realized I went to bed with the wrong woman. I was so embarrassed! This thread is so 90s. I feel relevant again.

by Anonymousreply 6310/28/2012

[quote]As Good As It Gets was written for Holly Hunter and the movie would have been infinitely more charming and better acted

Jesus, Holly Hunter as a Brooklynite? That would have been about as convincing as casting Streisand in that role.

by Anonymousreply 6410/28/2012

jodie and helen have always been kind of lumped together, with helen as the 'poor man's foster' but seriously -- jodie is WAY more attractive.

by Anonymousreply 6510/28/2012

I love Holly Hunter, but she would be so wrong for AGAIG.

by Anonymousreply 6610/28/2012

Hunt looks she's in her 60's.

by Anonymousreply 6710/30/2012

I've known Helen since 1982. Many who know her well call her Helen Cunt. But years ago some friends and I watching her at a party decided her name fit her perfect because she's a honey cunt. Pretends to care and pretend to nice, but she's a cunt to the core. She is talented, though. And the Oscar was not undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 6810/31/2012

For a second there, I thought you wrote Helen [italic]Hayes[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 6910/31/2012

I saw the movie recently. It was ok. There was no graphic sex in it, but Helen Hunt is fully nude in it. Her body is quite nice. But her face looks older than her years. It's strange; her face looks like it's had work done to it, but it still looks old.

by Anonymousreply 7011/27/2012

I've never liked her. She's dykey and I knew I wouldn't buy her as married to Paul Riser (who's another insufferable asshole) so I rarely watched Mad About You, which was a horribly over-written Seinfeld wannabe. I wish she would move to Iceland and open up a juice bar. Or just plain fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 7111/30/2012

It was actually a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 7211/30/2012

Helen needs to cover her freakishly large forehead, she needs to always have bangs. Instead she proudly displays it, big mistake. She could give the illusion of a moderately attractive woman if she made some attempt to subdue her forehead.

by Anonymousreply 7312/01/2012

R68, can you give us some examples of how cunty she is?

by Anonymousreply 7412/01/2012

i don't always romanticize her anorexia in the hollywood machine. We are inundated with images of people who take a dose of amphetamine and have their skin done, when we see actors. Always with the Angel Who Might Be A Prostitute, servicing someone who doesn't always feel good about Himself. Movies are repetitive. As Good As It Gets had its moments, with a realistic portrayal of a man that was aging and had issues, but Helen was a bit frozen in a sexist cliche.

by Anonymousreply 7512/01/2012

Loved the movie. She was great. Also, John Hawkes was amazing.

One of the best films I've seen this year.

by Anonymousreply 7612/01/2012

"I rarely watched Mad About You, which was a horribly over-written Seinfeld wannabe"

R71 - Mad About You wasn't all that much like Seinfeld.

by Anonymousreply 7712/01/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!