Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Modern Family

Forget whether it's a good representation of teh gays, or a decent comedy. Just tell me who the fuck they're supposed to be talking to when they talk to the camera a la shows like The Office which have the conceit of a documentary crew following them around.

The problem is that no documentary crew is ever seen or referred to on Modern Family; we've seen the characters in bed, and fighting, and doing tons of things you'd never do if you knew there was a camera present, yet there are these cutaways where they are talking directly to the audience as if they are being interviewed.

The conceit itself is rather tired now that it's done so often, but on Modern Family, it doesn't even make sense.

Or am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 8912/31/2014

It's the big flaw in the show that has never been addressed. It's a lazy device that allows the writers all sorts of liberties. Without the broken fourth wall they'd have to actually have to come up with more creative solutions to their narrative problems.

by Anonymousreply 110/14/2012

They do it on Parks and Rec too. That's a much better show but it's still such a lazy device.

by Anonymousreply 210/14/2012

A Dutch film crew is following the Modern Family families for a documentary on a regular American family.

Not sure what the excuse is on Parks & Rec though.

by Anonymousreply 410/14/2012

What I don't get is how they can call the show "Modern Family" and still have the mom be a stay at home mom, like some 50's hausfrau, and commend her when she finally gets off her lazy ass and tries to do something, but fails miserably.

by Anonymousreply 510/14/2012

its being transmitted to Omicron Persei 8. supposedly as a reality show about earthlings.

by Anonymousreply 610/14/2012

Marry me r6.

by Anonymousreply 810/14/2012

It was established during Season 1 that a German filmmaker is making a documentary on the Pritchetts, a seemingly typical, upper-middleclass family whose world is instantly transformed when the father and his only son are arrested and charged with shocking and horrible crimes.

by Anonymousreply 910/14/2012

what bugs me (i actually love the show), is the strange quite voice over when scenes shift --"duffy's living room" or "cam's bedroom". what the hell is that. its very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 1010/14/2012

r10, are you on medication? There is NO "transition voice" or ANY voice of any kind that says that shit. Unless it is, of course, the voices in your head.

by Anonymousreply 1210/14/2012

Thanks R10. I thought it was just me hearing that strange voice over announcing what room they are going to next. I find it very helpful to understand the plot.

by Anonymousreply 1310/14/2012

What [R10} is referring to is probably the Audio Descriptive Track. Recently mandated by the FCC, this separate audio track (often replacing the second language SAP track) is used to describe the on-screen action for blind "viewers" of programming. Check "Audio Description" on Wikipedia for more info.

However, it can be head-scratching the first time you experience it. :)

by Anonymousreply 1410/14/2012

R10 is too old to know how to work his TV.

by Anonymousreply 1510/15/2012

They're supposed to be on a reality show/documentary like the people on The Office and Parks and Recs. What I don't understand is how they can so freely badmouth people and not get shit for it when the show airs.

On the reunions shows for all the Real Housewives shows, people always call out everyone for what they say in the confessionals. On The Office, they are always making fun of their boss and co-workers in the confessionals. How is that going to fly at the reunion??

by Anonymousreply 1610/15/2012

Plus if all their shows have been on for several seasons, it should mean that they are famous now but none of them act like they are famous.

by Anonymousreply 1710/15/2012

The "modern" part is supposed to be the mix of family types within their broader family -- regular nuclear family, older man-younger woman from another country, gay couple with kid.

It is strangely retro though that all three couples have one partner who doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 1810/15/2012

I think this show is so overrated. It is very pretentious and although it has some funny moments, I just don't get it or all the awards it has garnered. I guess talking t the audience (if that is the gimmick) is supposed to make it original or something.

by Anonymousreply 2310/15/2012

I liked this show better when it was called "Soap."

by Anonymousreply 2810/15/2012

R11 R12 sorry it took so long for me to reply... i was out chopping wood for my steam powered TV. your cogent comments really moved the discussion forward. yes, i'm so old i only had a stick to make moving shadows with (rich kids had TWO sticks and fire, so they could watch moving shadows at night). MF is the only show i have ever heard stage directions voiced -- unless you count Snagglepuss: "Exit, stage right! if this is to help blind "viewers, why is this the only program i've ever heard it on?

by Anonymousreply 3010/15/2012

Yeah, R27? It's the "fourth" wall, hon. The fourth wall is the one facing us, the audience. If they were talking to the third wall, we'd just see them in profile talking to a wall all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3210/15/2012

The gays on this show give me secondhand embarrassment. And Ferguson gives me secondhand embarrassment in real life too.

by Anonymousreply 3306/16/2013

R6 I think its just a summer replacement for "Single Female Lawyer".

by Anonymousreply 3606/16/2013

Word is that the cast members are totally obnoxious assholes in real life.

by Anonymousreply 3706/16/2013

Agreed, OP. The talking-to-the-camera conceit is tiresome. I could never get into THE OFFICE, PARKS & RECREATION, and MODERN FAMILY because of it.

by Anonymousreply 3806/16/2013

Has this show jumped the shark yet?

by Anonymousreply 4010/04/2013

It's just a trope. Do you have a problem with the studio audience laughing at the zany antics of the cast on a three-camera sitcom? "Who are these people? Why are they in her living room/his office? Why don't the characters hear all that laughter?"

That trope makes just as much sense as the talking-to-the-camera one, which is to say none.

It's all just TV, and it all exists purely to sell you stuff. Just go with it, or chuck it and pick up a book instead.

by Anonymousreply 4110/04/2013

OP, as someone said, just stop watching the show instead of bitching about it.

Love Modern Family. It's a terrific show. The episode with Manny and Jay in line at city hall the day gay marriages start was hilarious.

And Claire has a job now.

by Anonymousreply 4210/04/2013

Is any of this "4th wall" business similar to what George Burns used to do on his TV series many moons ago? I think "The Goldbergs" did it as well.

by Anonymousreply 4310/04/2013

Luke needs to go. He has become the most self-conscious actor I've ever seen. Just AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 4401/19/2014

They're in Australia and ... the show has lost its mojo.

by Anonymousreply 4504/23/2014

R44 I agree. His acting has gotten even worse the more he moves into puberty.

by Anonymousreply 4604/23/2014

They were in Australia. And I have a thing for Australian accents so I was all about this episode. When that biker gang showed up I was in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 4704/23/2014

The wedding is on soon at 9 PM EST.

by Anonymousreply 4805/21/2014

I think Luke is fun. Not as much these days.

by Anonymousreply 4905/21/2014

I have to admit I got verklempt when Jay offered to hold the wedding at his country club. And the service was sweet.

And the running gag of Luke and Manny acting like a gay couple after Phil "married" them was funny.

by Anonymousreply 5005/21/2014

Luke's "acting" ability continues to decline.

Time for a recast. That kid needs to find another profession. Rarely have I seen a worse actor outside of an elementary school pageant.

by Anonymousreply 5110/02/2014

In real life, the old guy with the hotsy totsy Latino wife would have been fucked to death by now.

by Anonymousreply 5210/02/2014

"What I don't understand is how they can so freely badmouth people and not get shit for it when the show airs."

You have a hard time with the concept of "fiction', don't you?

by Anonymousreply 5310/02/2014

I just watched this week's episode and am surprised by the kid who plays Manny. He's become a real actor. He did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 5410/19/2014

Did anyone see the very first or pilot episode? Did that explain who they're talking to. I find it very annoying that it doesn't seem to have been explained. I never saw it from the first episode so I wonder if they did explain and I missed it.

A side note, I think the daughter and the Gloria character looked much better with their natural hair color. Also I saw an old Law and Order, I think it was an SVU, with the girl who plays the older sister, she is an excellent dramatic actress. I was surprised.

by Anonymousreply 5512/27/2014

R55, Sofia Vergara is NOW using her natural hair color. She's a blonde, but when the show started, the producers thought that didn't suit their idea of the "spicy Latina," so they asked her to dye her hair. She's simply stopped dying it.

by Anonymousreply 5612/27/2014

Yes, in the pilot, it was explained that everyone had been killed in a massive car crash on the way to a family get together, and that they are all appearing before St. Peter, trying to explain why they should get into heaven and not into hell.

The final episode will supposedly reveal who go into where.

by Anonymousreply 5712/27/2014

R55, Haley is played by Sarah Hyland who is the daughter of an actor who has worked regularly on stage and in film/tv for many years, Edward James Hyland. Sarah has been a working actress since she was a little girl, including playing young Jacqueline Bouvier in Grey Gardens on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 5812/27/2014

I think they were right on Vergara's hear color. She doesn't look as good with her natural blond, at least IMO.

by Anonymousreply 5912/27/2014

Sophia Vergara may be a natural blonde, but she looked way hotter with the dyed dark hair. In the very early seasons they dyed Ed O'Neill's hair darker, too. Agree that the older Dunphy daughter should also go back to dark and the kid who plays Luke is a lousy actor. And I don't think the girl who plays Lily will ever be any kind of actress. Mainly I just watch it for Phil and Claire (or the Dunphy segments in general) anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6012/27/2014

Lily is hard to watch.

by Anonymousreply 6112/28/2014

Luke is growing up to have a tight little body. He's a bit gay acting, but he's gonna be hot.

by Anonymousreply 6212/28/2014

R62 = Bryan Singer, now holding auditions for his next pool party.

by Anonymousreply 6312/28/2014

Do you think the older Dunphy daughter is jealous that her younger sister is suddenly walking around with a D-Cup?

Lily used to be the worst actor on the show, but last season was overtaken by Luke, who gets progressively worse with each episode. Not counting Charo, of course.

by Anonymousreply 6412/29/2014

I had a tough time buying that for most of its run two of the families only had one parent working, and yet everyone could afford the latest gadgets/electronics, new clothes, new cars, spacious homes, and luxury vacations (it wouldn't surprise me if at the start of next season they go into space).

That said, the show recently hit new levels of unrealistic when the gay couple didn't know who Tom Hardy is.

by Anonymousreply 6512/29/2014

I doubt Alex (Ariel Winter) will get work once the show wraps. While he may be a kid genius, I agree Luke should be recast.

But they probably won't ever have to work again, right? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 6612/29/2014

Child actors usually get better as a series progresses, but I have to agree that Nolan Gould (Luke) has gotten worse. I do love it, though, when they have Luke and Manny act like a married couple.

by Anonymousreply 6712/29/2014

Nolan Gould and Rico Rodriguez were cute as kids, but they are busted as teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 6812/29/2014

Is Cam still holding Lilly in his arms in the opening? She's getting too big for that if he is. Soon she will be as tall as he is and her legs will be dragging on the ground when he holds her up.

I don't think the kid playing Lilly is bad. She's okay, not great but okay. ITA about the kid playing Luke. He has gone from blah to suck.

by Anonymousreply 6912/29/2014

Agree about Nolan Gould (Luke) being a horrible actor. And Lily as well. Cringe-worthy to watch them.

by Anonymousreply 7012/29/2014

I bet when the series is over, Rico Rodriguez loses a lot of weight and turns into one hot little tamale.

by Anonymousreply 7112/29/2014

I still love the show but mostly watch because I want to do unspeakable things to Ty Burrell. My God that man is hot.

by Anonymousreply 7212/29/2014

We can all thank that English mutt Ricky Gervais for this cack.

by Anonymousreply 7312/29/2014

Al Bundy is still Al Bundy. That alone makes the show unwatcheable for me. That the rest are conservative cliches is then no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 7412/29/2014

I wish Phil would dump Claire for Haley's ex-beau, Dylan. They are such a cute couple.

by Anonymousreply 7512/29/2014

R72 I have the same bizarre attraction to Ty. Still can't believe he's straight

by Anonymousreply 7612/29/2014

No R71, because he doesn't have a neck.

He is the white Esther Rolle.

by Anonymousreply 7712/30/2014

I've often worked with men like Phil -- they're creepy.

by Anonymousreply 7812/30/2014

Levitan's prior sitcom, "Back To You" centered around a TV newscast, starred Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton, but is required viewing for MF fans. Burrell is in it, playing a not-quite Phil character. Fred Willard was the sportscaster, there was a Spicy Latina weathergirl (Mo Non Ga HEE La), plus Josh Gad.

I know the Datalounge Politburo institutionally abhors Grammer and Heaton, but this was a series with great potential. However, "The Middle" and "Modern Family" are more successful.

Burrell also played a very un-Phil playboy in the Stockard Channing-Henry Winkler series about a family of doctors.

by Anonymousreply 7912/30/2014

Burrell also played not-too-convincing pussyhound in "Dawn of the Dead". It wasn't until the movie was 3/4 finished until I realized he was supposed to be straight.

by Anonymousreply 8012/30/2014

Honestly, I'm not convinced any male performer on Modern Family is straight. Gayest set since Frasier.

by Anonymousreply 8112/30/2014

ITA none of them, IMO, are straight. I don't know about the kid who plays Manny but I'd place bet that the kid who plays Luke already knows which way he swings. And I don't care what he says, no way the guy who plays Cam is straight. I never thought he was straight even when he didn't play someone who is gay.

by Anonymousreply 8212/30/2014

Ty Burr has come out as bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 8312/30/2014

And who is "Ty Burr?"

by Anonymousreply 8412/30/2014

Post the link [R83] or you're not invited to my new years brunch.

by Anonymousreply 8512/31/2014

Isn't Lily supposed to be Asian when she was a baby? When did she become half white? And did they time travel? Because she went from a baby to a 5 year old all of a sudden yet none of the other children aged. How did they explain that? Is this a sci-fi show?

by Anonymousreply 8612/31/2014

I think "Luke" is adorable. He doesn't need to act any more or better than he is. This "Alexander, The Other Side of Dawn" for Christsakes. (LOL) Hopefully he has smart parents who are socking away his money for when it all wraps up and he can figure out what he really wants to do.

by Anonymousreply 8712/31/2014

...this AIN'T Alexander....

by Anonymousreply 8812/31/2014
Need more help? Click Here.