Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Columbia, South America

I'm going to Columbia the week of Thanksgiving, staying in Bogota and Cartagena. Anyone been? I love South America and have been to Argentina, Peru and Bolivia. Anxious to see how this nation compares.

by Anonymousreply 4011/22/2012

Please bring me back a dead monkey!

by Anonymousreply 110/14/2012

OP, is this some sort of weird troll thread? Why are you heading to Colombia if you can't even spell it?

by Anonymousreply 210/14/2012

Columbia sucks.

by Anonymousreply 310/14/2012

You and your luggage will get incredible scrutiny from customs when you re-enter the USA, especially if you deplane from a foreign flag carrier.

If you've been to Peru and Bolivia, you already know this.

by Anonymousreply 410/14/2012

say hello to Sofia Vergara's parents!

by Anonymousreply 510/14/2012

Colombia rather, OP.

Sorry. That is a pet peeve of mine.

Bogotá is gigantic. I highly recommend visiting La Candelaria, because that is the historical district. In terms of lodging, stay near one of the Universities or perhaps Atlantis Plaza Mall, because of how those are super duper safe areas.

Cartagena is not as safe as, say, Barranquilla or Tiera Bomba. So, just be a little more cautious there than you would be in either of those two places or Bogotá. The public and private library system of Cartagena is superb and so it would be a good idea to find lodging near one of the libraries because they are all in some rather safe areas. Colombians take language and literature very, very seriously. There is also a ton going on there with the theatre and a really nice theatre to visit is Theatre Heredia.

Overall, OP, Colombia has come around for the better in terms of narco terrorism and the cartels. They truly have. You should have no troubles on your visit as near as I can gather, you just have to be a mite bit more cautious is all it is.

by Anonymousreply 610/14/2012

R4, that's complete bullshit. I've been to both Peru and Bolivia and had no problems at all in Customs.

by Anonymousreply 710/14/2012

[quote] Why are you heading to Colombia if you can't even spell it?

Because all the "Oh, dear" spelling and grammar trolls will bump up the thread count, natch.

by Anonymousreply 810/14/2012

I enjoyed Cartegena very much. I was there for two weeks. I've also been to Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, and Brazil. I wouldn't want to go back to Venezuela, Brazil, or Ecuador but would like multiple visits to the others.

by Anonymousreply 910/14/2012

Cartagena is magical. It helps if you speak Spanish. It is HOT and drugs abound. Go and have a mud bath at the ancient 7000 ft. place. I forgot exactly where it is. Just stay in the walled in part of the city and you'll be fine. I loved it!

by Anonymousreply 1010/14/2012

Fuck you very much R7.

I have been searched **thoroughly** at MIA arriving from Lima on Aeroperu. Nearly missed my CO flight to IAH.

Up your no with a rub bah ho!

by Anonymousreply 1110/14/2012

Be careful OP. it was just added to the state department's travel advisory list.

by Anonymousreply 1210/14/2012

OMG Colombian men can be so HOT!!!

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

R6 is exactly right. Bogota has undergone an extraordinary transformation in the past 20 years. On Sunday morning get up early and join the Ciclovia, a weekly event in which everyone gets out and bicycles or walks the streets of Bogota, many of which are blocked off so there are no cars and the whole city becomes a big beautiful street party. Be ready for both warm and cold weather, because Bogota stays chilly and Cartagena stays hot. See the video below for some fabulous info on how Bogota improved so dramatically in the last 20 years. It's the most AMAZING hour of film you will ever see.

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012

R4, I've heard of problems but I myself the three trips I've made to ColOmbia I've never ever had a problem. Just a big smile and "Bienvenidos!"

It's a great country, they are sorry for their sad recent history and will be very very hospitable, they want to be seen as a happy, safe host country.

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

Silly, it's Columbia, South CAROLINA

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012

As someone who grew up in Colombia, I'm always amused by hearing or reading gringo descriptions of their visits there.

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

Cartagena is colorful, charming and fun. I enjoyed the handful of bars inside the city walls, a delicious ice cream parlor, and boat trips to little islands. Colombians are friendly and easygoing. Glad I went recently because ten years ago it might have been a little too edgy and in five it will be completely touristy.

by Anonymousreply 1811/19/2012

I want to visit Bogota in the future. I've had 2 different FWB from there and it was fun.

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

I had a great time in Cartagena. Met a lot of nice people.

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012

I'm not into coffee, cocaine or emeralds so I'm not interested in going

by Anonymousreply 2111/19/2012

I once had to save my sister who was kidnapped in Cartagena. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 2211/19/2012

Be careful. A word to the wise.

by Anonymousreply 2311/20/2012

Colombia seems a lot like Jamaica -- the folks from there who come to the States are generally nice to meet, but going there is another story!

by Anonymousreply 2411/20/2012

Gay nightlife in Bogota or Cartegena????

by Anonymousreply 2511/20/2012

The warring sides have announced a two-month ceasefire. It's good to see somewhere becoming more peaceful.

by Anonymousreply 2611/20/2012

Aren't the Colombians in some sort of war with Cuba?

by Anonymousreply 2711/20/2012

[quote]Aren't the Colombians in some sort of war with Cuba?

No. There's been friction with Venezuela. However, the ceasefire is between FARC and the government.

by Anonymousreply 2811/20/2012

Columbia and Venezuela grow Miss Universes in a secret lab, deep, deep in an untouched territory of the Amazon Jungle.

by Anonymousreply 2911/20/2012

You do realize it is COLOMBIA, not Columbia?

by Anonymousreply 3011/20/2012

seriously some of the guys! gorge!

by Anonymousreply 3111/21/2012

by Anonymousreply 3211/21/2012

It's really no different than Puerto Rico.

by Anonymousreply 3311/21/2012

I was treated horribly in Colombia. I was like a trapped butterfly that yearned to be free. It wasn't until I divorced a certain Mr M and moved to Def Jam that I truly discovered the me that my lambs love, adore and worship.

by Anonymousreply 3411/21/2012

Beautiful country w/ extraordinary nature and scenery. But the food is AWFUL. Most South American food is uniformly nondescript (except for Peru's delicious fare), but Colombia has the worst.

by Anonymousreply 3511/21/2012

and where are you from R35? what a snob.

by Anonymousreply 3611/21/2012

Get over it R36. The truth hurts. When your national plate is the "bandeja paisa", and your food is starchy and bland, it just isn't your strong point. There's a reason no one ever says, "Hey Honey, how about we get some Colombian food tonight." Every other category, Colombia is a winner, though. But food -- leave it to Mexican food, Peruvian, Cuban, Puerto Rican ...

by Anonymousreply 3711/21/2012

Colombia, South America is a wonderful place. I also loved Peru, South America, and Argentina, South America.

Please report back on your trip when you return to the United States, North America.

by Anonymousreply 3811/21/2012

Anthony the NY travel chef loved it.

by Anonymousreply 3911/22/2012

R37 the cuisine in Barranquilla is very good and has parallels to the cuisine of a fair amount of the Caribbean.

Bandeja Paisa is not really Colombia's national dish. It used to be a "thing" ages ago, but it is only a bit common now if you are broke as a joke and want to go somewhere simple and humble for a really filling meal. That is it. It is like a buffet on a plate.

Good Colombian food is like good Filipino food. Savory, Delicious, and a downright mysterious thing to most Americans. We have yet to have someone take our cuisine international is the thing. It is alright, for we are small in number in the US and have bigger fish to fry on the homefront as of right now.

by Anonymousreply 4011/22/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!