Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should the brutal, dangerous game of football be abolished?

Well, should it?

by Anonymousreply 2802/23/2013

Usually green, but every once in a while red. Or sometimes pork chops.

by Anonymousreply 110/13/2012

That's not going to happen, as long as people are willing (and at this point they surely know) what the risks are, it's up to them to decide if they want to play. The American viewers will never stop watching football so it's here to stay for the time being.

by Anonymousreply 210/13/2012

Yes it should. Along with "soccer" which other people in the world call "football".

by Anonymousreply 310/13/2012

Only if we can have rugby to replace it.

by Anonymousreply 410/13/2012

What a bunch of priss pots on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 510/13/2012

Why in the world would anyone want soccer to be abolished?

by Anonymousreply 610/13/2012

There's huge lawsuit in the works. It will change the game forever.

The fact is that there is no way to make football safe. They will have to change the rules in such a way as to make it a different, probably less popular game.

by Anonymousreply 710/13/2012

Change it to flag football.

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2012

If it is expect the crime rate to quadruple. Most football players would be in jail if they did not play football. The NFL is like one big probation office.

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2012

They haven't abolished boxing, and look what it did for me!

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2012

We HATE football!

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2012

Frankly, boxing should be abolished too.

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2012

Ban it. It's booooring.

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2012

You're right, r12. But football is played by many kids at very young ages and should be priority number 1. Maybe one or two kids at a school box, but the football teams (Freshman, JV, Varsity) number into the hundreds in some cases. Dangerous and totally unnecessary. And I played myself.

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2012

I'm kind of on the fence about this one despite the fact that football is boring and vaguely homophobic (except for the cute smacks to the ass they give each other). I guess if you want to bring most of the straight male population of the United States to their knees begging for it not to be abolished (especially around Thanksgiving time--with no TV football they would try to help their wives in the kitchen and I know there would be mass screams of "stay out of the kitchen I can do this myself!")then go for it. The posts about boxing being abolished are interesting as there have been moves or precedents in the past to get it abolished I imagine partly due to the gambling that goes on but I think that applies to any "sport". I really don't know how those football players do it though, they are constantly falling down, being tackled, having big heavy men on top of them (hmm, is that a pro or con?). The main thing to which I object is the hype and the obscene amount of money they get for playing football. And for what? You end up with nagging old injuries later in life or like Joe Theismann selling prostate medicine. If some enterprising poster can list some pros and cons maybe we undecideds can make a decision.

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2012

The current stream of consciousness built up by the propaganda machine: football...Penn State...Joe Paterno...Jerry Sandusky...pedophilia-----football=pedophilia

Am I right or wrong on this?

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2012

You're wrong on that one, Gip.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2012

Ban a multi-billion dollar, All-American industry?

Not gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2012

They should go back to playing on grass.

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2012

They should go back to playing on real grass, that would help as astroturf is still horrible and people skid and are getting injuries on it.

The reason everyone is looking at football is because of the injuries - devastating ones and nice Alex Karras just died, really, from those injuries.

He's not the only one, those knocks to the head are horrific and it's a game that is too dangerous to play.

Plus the doctors let these guys go back after head injuries! It's really bad.

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2012

Rugby also has huge concussion rates among its athletes.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2012

National Felon League

by Anonymousreply 2210/14/2012

By Chuck Schilken

February 4, 2013, 8:31 a.m.

If Joe Flacco wasn't a household name before the Baltimore Ravens' 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII, he certainly is now.

That's because a record number of households were watching Flacco's MVP performance Sunday night, according to early overnight ratings released by the Nielsen Co.

The game scored a 48.1 rating and a 71 share in a select measurement of big cities, which would make it the most-watched TV event in U.S. history.

The Green Bay Packers' win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2011 drew a 47.9 rating; the New York Giants' victory over the New England Patriots in 2012 got a 48.1 rating.

Those two games and the 1983 series finale of "MASH" were the only three broadcasts in history to top the 100-million view mark. This year's Super Bowl is sure to join the list when Nielsen releases its estimate of how many people watched the game later Monday.

One ratings point represents 1% of the nation's estimated 114.7 million TV homes. The share means that 71% of TVs that were on at the time were tuned to the Super Bowl.

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

It will not change at all from outside critics, but there will be a fighting chance for change if there is a steadily increasing trend of actual current and/or former players speaking out against it.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

No, asswipe!

by Anonymousreply 2502/04/2013

Yes, much obesity is due to football and trying to get football bodies.

by Anonymousreply 2602/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 2702/23/2013

In heaven, there is no football.

by Anonymousreply 2802/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!