Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do you get a puppy and a kitten to love each other?

Ever since I was a kid I wanted to raise a puppy and kitten together (I also wanted a baby duck but I out grew that.)

Now I have them and it is hell. The kitten is in a constant state of terror and the puppy chases her back into hiding everytime she ventures out of of her hiding place.

I could be making a fortune on cute puppy/kitty videos but.....

by Anonymousreply 3010/13/2012

Sad for the kitten.

by Anonymousreply 110/13/2012

Is there an age disparity?

by Anonymousreply 210/13/2012

no r2

by Anonymousreply 310/13/2012

You don't, OP. You should realize it's as futile as trying to forge friendships between gay men and lesbians: they should, in theory, work brilliantly, but somehow never do.

by Anonymousreply 410/13/2012

kitty, you in danger, girl.

by Anonymousreply 510/13/2012

Tina and Red Bull. It works for me.

by Anonymousreply 610/13/2012

This is what I envisioned: (minus the brown shag carpet)

by Anonymousreply 710/13/2012

You're cute, OP. If it's any consolation, I doubt the people who posted the video at your R7 are making a fortune from posting that video.

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2012

Make sure your kitten can get up to a higher space she can call her own. It's her safe spot and she needs this to know she can escape.. Right now it sounds she is on the ground and is vunerable to a puppy which is a more aggressive and more likely a bigger animal. I learned this from the show "My cat from hell."

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2012

Dogs (small) and cats have always been the easiest transitions for me (2 male cats, much tougher, wouldn't even attempt 2 female cats). Same technique for all though -- don't just let them sniff each other out and freak.

Sit between them, hold puppy close (easy to control), hold on kitten gently -- maybe on stairs where you provide a divider. Pet both, speak quietly. Slowly let them see that both are supposed to be there, neither an invader. When puppy gets riled up, hold firmly, don't let him scare cat. They seem to get you love/want them both and (eventually ) relax on their own terms. Quicker than you'd think.

Weird sounding in this truncated forum but works. Mine eventually all sleep in a big pile.

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2012

Put them in the same crock pot.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2012

what r10 said.

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2012

I had four cats when i got my dog. The cats and dog didn't get along at all, but, after a few months, they get along well. They don't exactly cuddle together, but they sit next do each other. Just make sure your kitten has a safe place, and , eventually, she'll adjust to the dog.

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2012

It also depends on the personalities of the animals. If the puppy is hyper and you have a timid kitten it will likely never work.

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2012

Actually OP, I have a 4 month old puppy. My parents have a 9 month old cat. They spent about a week together (when he was 8 weeks, and she was about 7 months old) under the same roof.

They became the best of friends - so much so, I make sure he visits the cat a couple times a week (she's a great playmate for him, and it kind of gives me a bit of a break/"babysitter").

Here are a couple pics of them taken last week.

He's a pug, about 11 pounds, and she's now full grown - probably 14 pounds? So there isn't a huge size difference.

They are BFF's.

They play together and roll around with each other. The cat is really attached to the puppy, and he loves her too.

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2012

Here is one more pic - they are a little blurry (it's hard to get a puppy and kitten to stay still for a camera lol)

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2012

Oh and OP/R7 - that's not brown shag carpet in my pics.

It's a fuzzy dog bed.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2012

It's much, MUCH easier to get an adult dog and a kitten to like each other. Adult cats usually only wind up, at best, tolerating another dog or cat.

Puppies are big old lunk heads and don't realize what they are doing. This is why you often see a momma dog, nipping at them. She is correcting them.

Kittens do this but less so as they are not pack animals.

Some dogs and cats do like each other, but for the most part you'll be lucky to get them to the state where they just have a peaceful co-existence.

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2012

Sing: " On, the pussy and the puppy should be friends. Oh, the puppy and the pussy should be friends."

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2012

It depends on the personality of the cat. Some cats have a very strong mothering instinct (even if they're males) and will bond easily with other pets. If they don't the best you can do is wait until they learn to tolerate the other animal.

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2012

my dog was raised with my cat. I did nothing, they liked each other right from the start and still do. Get a male cat who is neutered, they are much more laid back than female kitties.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2012

I've had cats and dogs together all my life with no problems. But I get my animals from responsible breeders who take care to breed for good temperment, so that might have something to do with it as well.

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2012

You sound like a narcissist, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2012

Lock them together in the bathroom with a carton of cigars and don't let them out until they finish them all.

by Anonymousreply 2410/13/2012

Just what are you wishing for,OP?

by Anonymousreply 2510/13/2012

Get rid of the asshole dog.

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2012

I thought dogs eat cats.

by Anonymousreply 2710/13/2012

R10's suggestion is working!!

First I had the dog outside running around for a long time so she was kind of low energy. Then I sat with the kitten on the couch and watched TV. When she was pretty comfortable and purring I let the dog in the room and let her sit on the couch too. The dog was so tired and sleepy that the kitten just clung to me and stared at her for a while but then got a little curious and ventured down out of my arms and got close to the dog and even sniffed her.

Harmony!

I think the problen is the puppy is just so high energy and loves to roughhouse. So maybe she'll simmer down with age. The kitten does have curiosity about the dog. Sometimes at night when the dog is asleep in the crate I see the kitten venture over and stare at the puppy.

by Anonymousreply 2810/13/2012

She's not staring, R28/OP, she's plotting...

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2012

I think it will work, Op

by Anonymousreply 3010/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.