Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why are so many mothers so critical of their children?

Is there a psychological explanation for this?

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2012

Those people are usually critical of everybody in their lives, not just their children. It's an incredibly destructive trait. My sister had it and she used it on my nephew when he was young. I'd call her out on it when I would visit. She'd back off for a while.

by Anonymousreply 110/13/2012

It's because they only see them as extensions of their own self and not separate individuals in their own right. And they hate themselves and/or are insecure and anxious about who they are. Their lack of control over another person aggravates them and breeds contempt. Narcissistic personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 210/13/2012

OP, only on DL are mothers invariably "domineering" and "endlessly critical" of their children. The overwhelming majority of mothers are entirely supportive of their children. The ones who aren't, however, tend to raise the bitchiest and whiniest gay sons, so we get to *hear* endless bullshit about "Mother being this" and "Mother being that" that is actually wildly disproportionate to the population as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 310/13/2012

lord r3, have you ever read a book, been to a movie, browsed a psychology text book, seen the line at the pharmacy?

yes MOST mothers are supportive....the stories abound....wow, just wow....you are on your own planet

by Anonymousreply 510/13/2012

I've known one hyper critical mother and a whole boatload of asshole fathers. But hey, at least they bothered to stick around.

by Anonymousreply 610/13/2012

r8 took Psych 101 and thinks he knows it all.

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2012

R2 = correct answer

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2012

by r8 standards all jewish men should be gay

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2012

I'm surprised you use a computer, r8. You spout off antiquated bullshit psychology, yet you use "modrin new-fangled typin' teevees."

BTW, Honey Boo Boo called to correctly announce that she's more sophisticated than you.

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2012

because a bitch is gonna Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2012

Granted I don't know a lot of mothers, but the ones I do know aren't even remotely critical of their children. Their little darlings can do no wrong and any suggestion otherwise will bring about a hissing, screeching tantrum.

Even if the "child" in question is 20-something.

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2012

I'm very supportive of that creature that slithered out of my womb.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2012

My mother used to tell me that everything I did reflected on her. I think that is your explanation. Narcissicism.

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2012

My Mother was wonderful and I miss her terribly.

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2012

Old-school thinking was that you shouldn't praise a child, otherwise they'd have ego problems. New-school, and just as bizarre, advocates "my child is perfect." Many Mothers and Fathers could use courses or books in how to raise very happy, healthy offspring. How many think that they would take the time, or actually admit they need guidance in how to be a better role model?

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2012

[quote]Old-school thinking was that you shouldn't praise a child, otherwise they'd have ego problems.

I think this is true to some extent. I think my Mother was too quick to praise. It took me awhile to figure out that the world didn't revolve around me. I don't think my brother has yet to figure that out.

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.