Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Habits that you picked up from your parents

I always store the medicine and Band-aids in a cabinet in the kitchen next to the stove.

by Anonymousreply 3610/14/2012

Earrings

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2012

Caftans

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2012

My dad's kindness.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2012

the theatah!

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2012

Leaving kitchen cabinet doors open

Having (loud) conversations from one room to another

Can't live in a house without a cat or a dog, preferably both plus birds and an aquarium.

Hoarding old records like bills, tax returns, bank statements.

News radio in the morning.

Six o'clock mixed drinks.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2012

Add salt to the water when hardboiling eggs -- if an egg cracks while boiling, the salt will prevent too much white from seeping out. I have no idea whether that's true, but I religiously do it every time.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2012

Christmas decorations go up December 24th, the beginning of the Christmas season.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2012

Puff puff

Glug glug

$150 on Shinola in the fifth to win.

No, I haven't seen your ring.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2012

Consulting Farmer's Almanac for planting signs

Refusing to pay for tv

Coffee morning, noon, and night

Too many shoes - both kept a ton of shoes

Driving like an old man - both of them drove slowly and cautiously and I followed suit because I was usually stoned

Eating salad last because you don't have to worry about it getting cold

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2012

*Keeping the toilet seat lid closed (so civilized)

*Placing the knife and fork together and neatly on the dinner plate after eating.

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2012

Keeping my vodka and carton of cigarettes in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2012

My father had a VERY organized way of arranging his bills (currency) in his wallet: 1. fold back all the crinkled corners 2. start with ones in the front in ascending value toward the back 3. all the presidents and Alexander Hamilton face the front 4. crisper, cleaner bills to the back within their numerical placement so the more beat up bills get spent first. I follow that arrangement to the letter (or number) and wouldn't think of having it any other way. Also speaking of money, I always wash my hands after handling money (and animals) per both my father's and grandmother's (his mother) advice. OK, I'm waiting for some slutty queen to call me OCD.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2012

r12 = Joan Crawford

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2012

Both of my parents are pack rats, my dad moreso, and I inherited his penchant for clutter and mess. It's embarrassing and it sucks, but I do what I can to neaten up.

Using Scrubbing Bubbles in the bathroom to clean my tub.

Driving like a bat out of hell like my mother, but I picked up my father's habit of being observant and astute on a constant basis.

Not being afraid to try new foods or natural remedies. We grew up exploring new restaurants to go to about twice a month.

Keeping Old Bay seasoning in my spice cabinet.

Ensuring my fridge is full of food. I'm single and live alone and almost never entertain guests, but make sure my fridge is well stocked like my parents do.

Waking around with headphones on without a fuck to give just like my daddy.

Starting my morning sitting on the toilet for 20-30 minutes just to concentrate and take on the day. Thank GOD that we had more than one bathroom.

My mother's sarcasm and snarky sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2012

r8 is my favorite

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2012

I know most of these posts are satirical, but one habit I picked up -- living with a single mom strict on discipline -- was ALWAYS putting the toilet seat down. I left my mom's house 15 years ago and still do it, even though I live alone. (No, I do not sit down to pee, but knowing the seat is always down means I always know I'll have to bend to lift it when peeing.)

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2012

R9, I've never understood the 'refusing to pay for TV'.

My father said that for many years.

Then suddenly he felt differently and got cable.

He had forced my mother to miss the enjoyment of cable TV for decades with his warped view and being stubborn.

Please explain why someone would think they shouldn't pay to enjoy over 200 channels.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2012

R14 states:

"Starting my morning sitting on the toilet for 20-30 minutes just to concentrate and take on the day."

That is very gross and disgusting. Nauseating and repulsive.

I'm glad I don't know you.

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2012

R18 - I'm glad I don't know you either, so I guess we're even. As if i'm supposed to be upset some invisible fucktard is telling me this.

PS - I'm not taking a shit the whole time if that's what you're implying. Hell, I don't keep reading material in my bathroom anymore due to sanitary reasons, so even I have my limitations.

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2012

Colgate toothpaste Northern bath tissue

Holding a conversation with myself when I'm alone Treating my pets as my babies Thinking rhe world is oh so cold and cruel so I must frequently hibernate.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2012

r11, are you David Sedaris?

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2012

Arriving on time or preferably early for anything with a set time (dr. appt., movie, play, etc.). Don't understand people who are constantly late for everything.

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2012

R23 - TOTALLY agree with this one

by Anonymousreply 2410/13/2012

I have my children refer to my gay lovers as uncle

by Anonymousreply 2510/13/2012

I never wear cheap cologne or shoes. Mom always told me people will notice those things and judge you on them. Same with well manicured finger and TOEnails. Nothing grosser than gnarly nails, especially feet. My mom would check our nails when we were kids.

I fold my underwear into neat "military squares" and stack them in the drawer. This one from my Army colonel stepfather.

One funny one, I never eat the "last" of anything in the fridge. I live alone now but when I have had roommates or a boyfriend, they would ask "Why do you leave a freakin' 'molecule of ketchup' in the bottle or a teensy amount of a leftover in a plastic dish? THROW IT OUT." Mom raised us not to eat the last of anything, to leave something for others. This was usually at the dinner table, of course, but I could never bring myself to do that with stuff in the fridge either. A bit OCD?

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2012

A stack of magazines in the bathroom.

Folding the spread halfway down the bed, then an afghan folded at the end.

Always carrying two sets of keys

Conversation about current events at the dinner table.

Always offering a cup of coffee and food when anyone visits.

by Anonymousreply 2710/13/2012

Ummmm.... Where shall I start?

by Anonymousreply 2810/13/2012

Being slack about folding and putting away clean laundry and just taking what I need from the pile. Also, using the table as a dumping ground for pretty much everything.

Shoppping at local providers such as the coolstore and butcher, rather than big supermarkets.

Kicking shoes off as soom as I get in the door and going barefoot as much as possible.

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2012

Mom used to drive with her wrists on top of the steering wheel instead of gripping it. I do too.

by Anonymousreply 3110/13/2012

r31, my mom would drive with her wrists on the steering wheel too. But with her it was so she could apply her lipstick while looking in the rearview mirror with one hand, and clutch a Benson & Hedges 100 (with the window cracked exactly 1/2 an inch) with the other hand. Gotta love 70s parenting!

by Anonymousreply 3210/13/2012

R32, My mom used to smoke Newports behind the wheel with the window cracked exactly 1/2 inch too. Also as a passenger. My Dad never smoked. I don't know how he put up with it. I thought everybody smelled like tobacco.

by Anonymousreply 3310/13/2012

Taking out the kitchen garbage every night, whether the bag is full or not. My parents didn't like the idea of any foodstuffs/scraps sitting there overnight.

by Anonymousreply 3410/14/2012

We had laundry lines, indoors and out. We had a dryer too, but with clothes, it was 50/50. I didn't realize that was odd until I went to college and I was the only one who didn't put my jeans in the dryer.

Not a bad habit because it's better for the clothes, but it's not common these days.

by Anonymousreply 3510/14/2012

Too bad you didn't get his humility, R3.

by Anonymousreply 3610/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.