Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Still of James Darcy playing Anthony Perkins in "Hitchcock"

Well, he's got the body language right- love the closed fist.

Because of his uniqueness and life story, I've always wondered if Tony Perkins would be played by someone someday- in something. Even if this film is in no way about Tony Perkins, I'm intrigued to see how his character comes off- as well as the rest of the actors/actresses.

At this point I'm not inspired by the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2013

Damn it why won't the photos work here.

Trailer at the links

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2012

It's too bad Andrew Garfield wasn't cast - he really looks more like Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2012

I'll wait to see the end result. I wonder if Darcy pulled the voice and mannerisms off better. Perkins had a particular body movement about him.

And actually, Darcy looks a lot like his eldest son (see image at link). I wonder what it must be like for his sons. How weird would it be to see someone playing your Dad - younger than you are now?

by Anonymousreply 310/13/2012

I agree with R2 garfield would've been a better choice

by Anonymousreply 410/13/2012

Anthony Hopkins was impressed with the casting of James D'Arcy.

"The one other person that arguably was the most affected by the success of Psycho was actor Anthony Perkins who portrayed the sympathetic Norman Bates. And playing him for the movie is James D’Arcy. On his casting, Barnette tells us, “When he first walked in to read, there was a moment where we all were like ‘please be a good actor!’ Because he looked so much like Tony Perkins. He totally embodies Perkins and it’s pretty amazing. Now, to be clear he embodies Tony Perkins, not Norman Bates. There were a lot of similarities, but James really captured the essence of Perkins.”

“Hopkins came to the audition,” recalls D’Arcy about the casting process. “And Hopkins reaction (to me) was so amazing. I feel like he swayed everybody, because he kept starring at me and then looking over to the producers with a look like ‘why are we looking at anybody else?’ I started to read the first few lines of the scene and Hopkins fell off his chair laughing; laughing in a really charming way. He gathered himself and said ‘this is uncanny’. We read the scene again and the same thing happens, he falls out of his chair laughing. We improvised on for 10 minutes in character. And at that point I thought, if I get the job, great. But if I don’t get the job, at least I got to sit in a room and improvise with Anthony Hopkins for 10 minutes, which was amazing. Right at the end of it, he said to me as Hitchcock ‘what would you do to get this part?’ And in my Anthony Perkins voice I said, ‘Um, Mister Hitchcock, I’ll do anything to play this role.’ And he kind of looked at me and stopped being Hitchcock and said in his Hopkins voice, ‘well I think you are going to get it.’ It was so sweet and that was that. He jumped out of his seat and gave me a huge hug before I left. And I’d never met him before that! He’s an amazing human being.”

by Anonymousreply 510/13/2012

Probably no weirder than seeing your mom smash into the World Trade Center, R3.

by Anonymousreply 610/13/2012

Did Perkins kids know he was gay/bi before he died?How many kids did he have and are they both actors?The one in the photo played the weird awkward law student in Legally Blond.

by Anonymousreply 710/13/2012

OP, you can't link to imdb. Find some other source.

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2012

The face looks more like Ralph Feinnes than Anthony Perkins, but the build looks right. Perkins was very slim, but also very broad-shouldered. And he was tall, but as Norman he stood as if he were embarassed by his height.

So yeah, the face may pass, it's largely down to the body language.

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2012

I think this James Darcy guy looks a lot like Anthony Perkins - way more than Andrew Garfield who I don't think looks like him at all.

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2012

You can't click a link r8? Fine. How about this one?

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2012

Is James D'Arcy gay?

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2012

Andrew Garfield looks nothing like him!

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2012

Who plays Tab Hunter?

by Anonymousreply 1410/14/2012

[quote] Did Perkins kids know he was gay/bi before he died?How many kids did he have and are they both actors?The one in the photo played the weird awkward law student in Legally Blond.

I don't know. The eldest, Oz Perkins, was an actor (Legally Blonde, The Secretary) but hasn't done much since having his own kid. The youngest, Elvis Perkins, is a singer and produced some pretty good work. If you've ever heard any of Tony Perkins singing from back in the 50s- you can hear his cadence in Elvis's voice. EP appeared on Letterman about a year ago.

They each picked up some of Tony's talent and looks.

by Anonymousreply 1510/14/2012

Another angle here. From this shot he's a dead ringer.

by Anonymousreply 1610/15/2012

I agree OP, the trailer is pretty disappointing.

All cardboard characters.

Johansson is woefully miscast, Hopkins does a tired Hannibal Lecter variation, and Helen Mirren sounds too post-modern or "now" for a woman of the 1950s.

I'm sure the film will get nominated because it's about "Hollywood". If D'Arcy gets in, I will be pleased, though. At least he looks eerily like Perkins, and he seems to be a decent actor.

by Anonymousreply 1710/15/2012

I agree with r10 and r13.

by Anonymousreply 1810/15/2012

It would be a nice tribute to Perkins if D'Arcy got some kind of nod but I doubt his role this film- despite the fact that Perkins was the star of Psycho- would be big enough to get notice.

by Anonymousreply 1910/15/2012

R16 that woman in the pic standing next to D'Arcy has some wonderfully white buck teeth.

Anyone know is D'Arcy is gay?

by Anonymousreply 2010/15/2012

I worked on this. D'Arcy does Perkins well. Not impressed at all by Hopkins' Hitch (he speaks way too fast). Johannson was stunt casting, but it's good to see a voluptuous woman in Hollywood. Helen just had a face lift, and it needs to drop.

by Anonymousreply 2110/15/2012

How many more of these celebrity impersonation films are we going to have to suffer through? Making a movie about the making of a famous older film isn't a particularly good way of keeping the art alive. And characters written by writers are actually more interesting than the famewhores of old Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 2210/15/2012

r21. How much time does Perkins/D'Arcy get? Do they make any suggestion that he was in the closet at this time?

by Anonymousreply 2310/15/2012

I like the trailer. Mirren doesn't look like Alma, but she also doesn't have that unnatural "face-lift" look going on, either - she looks like she always looks.

Imelda Staunton looks more like Alma in "The Girl" trailer, but Toby Jones looks awful and Sienna Miller is a worse actress than Johansson.

by Anonymousreply 2410/15/2012

R7 this obit about his wife, Berry Berenson answers your questions. Evidently she was very devoted to him.

by Anonymousreply 2510/15/2012

Watched "Hitchcock" tonight. You could tell who still has living descendants in the business.

The movie was very flattering to Janet Leigh and vey dismissive to Tony Perkins.

It seem Janet Leigh was an Angel to everyone‚ is that true?

I resented the fact that they reduced Tony Perkins to nothing but the vehicle for closet jokes. There wasn't one scene that didn't remark someway on his homosexuality. It was rather homophobic, actually.

by Anonymousreply 2611/09/2013

Nice enough movie. When it focuses on the relationship between Hitchcock and Alma it's rather interesting, but the actors' parts are nothing. They could have skipped all the scenes with the shooting and actors, and the movie would have been better for it.

Unless you think all those shots of Scarlett's ass made it worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 2711/09/2013

I caught this on Netflix recently and was astonished to love it though I agree the jokes about Anthony Perkins were a little annoying (though given the era, not surprising).

Hopkins was very good as Hitch, much better than Toby Jones. I hated 'The Girl' and Jones was totally unconvincing. The whole story about Tippi Hedren infuriates me, claiming Hitch destroyed her career. She didn't have a career. Couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. Why oh why didn't Hitch cast Catherine Deneuve in Hedren's roles.

Can't stand Scarlett J but she was good as Janet Leigh.

by Anonymousreply 2811/09/2013

I'm so tired of gay people in history being reduced to closet jokes.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2013

HITCH was a cloying piece of crap, just about as factually accurate as MOMMIE DEAREST.

The chief conflicts in the film were all pulled right outta some hack's ass.

Fuck you, Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.