Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Could use some work advice.

I posted here a few days ago -- I'm applying for a job within my company. I was approached by management for the job and was basically told that it was mine. I was even invited on meetings as though I were already in the role. However, the manager later told me that per company policy, they would need to advertise the position to other candidates. The manager apologized, said he was sorry that the process was taking so long, and so on. I had a successful first round of interviews, many with people I already work closely with. Then, this morning, the manager took me aside. He apologized again for the ongoing process, and said that the final round would be a strategy test. He also told me that they were reviewing two other candidates. I feel completely and utterly deflated. After having been told that I had the job, I now feel knocked around and nervous. I could use some advice as to how to make the situation work to my advantage and ensure that I get the job that I was told I had to begin with. Please no flames. I could use some serious, candid advice, which DL is good for from time to time. Thanks.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 2010/13/2012

[quote]I could use some serious, candid advice

Okay: you're not going to get the job if you continue being such a worry-wart MARY! Quit doubting yourself, do some advance study on the type of "strategy test" they could give you, and for fuck's sake PROJECT CONFIDENCE about yourself and your abilities.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 110/12/2012

If you want the job, #1 is don't act deflated at work, don't let it show. They shouldn't have acted like you were a shoo-in if they were going to seriously consider outside candidates. Bad form on their part. Because what happens is, they think at first that you're the default, but then new outside potentials show up and they are impressed; the outsiders have qualities/experience that you don't.

My best advice is, act the part of confident/hungry for it while at work, be someone that others would want to work with in the new position. And, practice excellent self-care outside of work (eat well, sleep well, etc). Good luck!

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 210/12/2012

OK. The final round will be a strategy test. What does that mean, exactly? From what you're telling us, this is the part that might trip you up because you don't seem very flexible. The game changes in business every day, often every hour. You are seeing that now. You made assumptions based on information that was incorrect or has since changed. Are you actively campaigning for the job? Showcasing how your skills and talents are applicable? Excelling in your current position while contributing ideas elsewhere in the firm? You have competition not just for this new position, but for your current position. We all do. That's why you need to be on your A-game every day, and not fretting because what your boss initially told you didn't pan out.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 310/12/2012

...whatever you do, don't poop in the toilet tank!

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 410/12/2012

OP, don't act like you've got it in the bag, don't talk about it, but act confident. Dress for the new job. Don't make any mistakes on your current job. Act like you know what you're doing there, but don't be bossy or obnoxious or piss anybody off. Attend every company social event. Don't be late, don't start any dramas. Don't fuck up.

Yes, they really do have to interview all those people. It can be for legal reasons or company policy reasons. Don't panic, it doesn't mean they aren't going to hire you. Don't get pissy, that will REALLY count against you. Don't show any bad temper or moodiness. Be cheerful and "up." Bring the doughnuts, smile, participate in whatever they want. Be "perky." Do not pout no matter what happens, not even if they hire the bosses' son instead of you. If you take it like a man, it'll be your turn next time. Whine and you're through.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 510/12/2012

Be prepared for anything. I was offered a position at my company's corporate office. It was my dream job and I was so excited. At the last minute the department head decided to hire someone local so they didn't have to pay for my relocation. I was devasted, everyone at my office knew that I was going to get the job.

Turns out I left that company a few years after that and am in a position far better than that would have been and am happier that I ever thought I could be.

What will be will be. Just prepare yourself for every possible scenario.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 610/12/2012

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 710/12/2012

Or maybe they're doing a reverse George Costanza on OP, encouraging him to just show up at the office and attend meetings and work on key projects -- without ever making him an employee or paying him.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 810/12/2012

While I agree that a positive attitude is a good path to take, be on your guard. Aside from these "chit-chats" is there documentable proof that you were told outright you were going to be given the job (no "maybes")? Does the company have a HR department that is large enough to have a few lawyers who are trained in the legalities of hiring a potential employee, what constitutes a promise versus an intention versus an offer of employment, etc? The process you are describing is borderline psychological abuse; take that into consideration when they low-ball you with an offer, since they seem to be preparing you to either be so grateful when they make a formal offer at a low salary that you will accept or they are stringing you along because you are the #2 selection and #1 is being difficult. I'm not trying to bring you down and do agree that self-confidence is the real true mark and please stay positive about YOURSELF! I happen to think their methods leave a lot to be desired, from what you describe.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 910/12/2012

They want you for the job, but are obliged to advertise, even if it's advertising internally. Play the game- perform well and you'll get it. Concentrate on preparing for the test. They have a recruitment process they have to follow, that's all.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1010/12/2012

Man, I'm so glad I never worked in the world of offices.

I'm trying to convince my son to become a plumber. Do the dirty work for a few years, buy some vans, open your own plumbing business. A guy in my town did this. Late at night there are about twenty vans in his parking lot. During the day, it is empty. Every one of those vans is out on a job and there still aren't enough plumbers around here.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1110/12/2012

First, and observation, then some assistance.

Unfortunately, task excellence or technical knowledge are requisite, but not sufficient for career progress. The fact that you don't understand the nuance of "basically told me" vs. offered you h job suggests that you may not be ready for the position. The facts you ar now panicked that they may have found someone else and are deflated are other indicators. I've often found that giving someone a job for which they at I'll-prepared doesn't actually do the any favors.

"Strategy test" in many instances is a "case interview." You ar presented a business cas and asked to solve. They test for many things, not just the "right" answer, though depending on your company, they may actually want a single, right answer, as well. Other things tested are comfort with ambiguit, flexibility in problem solving, how we'll you engage with others to solve problems. The taxonomy for case interviews covers three basic types: brain teasers (why are manhole covers round); estimation problem (how many gas stations are in Houston); integrated business problem (should we launch product X). Whatever they are checking, the first step to solve the problem is ti disaggregate it into parts - profit problem break into revenue and cost, revenue breaks into price and quantity, quantity breaks into segments and share/penetration, etc.

Google case interview and you will get examples and possible solutions. Remember that it's as much a personality test as it is a "strategic thinking" test for many companies.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1210/12/2012

They treated you shabbily and you should quit immediately .. in a huff!

This prove any point you're trying to make.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1310/12/2012

R13 here I guess I lose a lot of credibility from typos. I really hate typing on an iPad.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1410/12/2012

Bahhhh. I can't even get my mea culpa right without a typo.

R12, not r13

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1510/12/2012

Hold that bitch at gunpoint until he gives you the contract to sign. The nerve of some people!

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1610/12/2012

Do you know how to prepare for a "strategy test" - if there is someone friendly at work, maybe you could ask him how to prepare for it?

Good luck.

If you don't get it, come back to DL, and tell us and we will be with you in sympathetic rage.

PS: Is this a government job?

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1710/12/2012

It's nice to see so many people giving good advice to the OP.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1810/12/2012

[quote]The process you are describing is borderline psychological abuse

Oh sweet Jesus. MUST you bitches turn everything into DRAMA? OP is *not* being "psychologically abused"; he's merely getting mixed signals from his higher-ups who are most likely entirely unaware how angst-ridden he is about this possible promotion. And OP, really: unless this is actually a *major* promotion -- and by that I mean AT LEAST a 20% increase in pay, as well as a bump from middle-management to a VP gig -- then I will bitchslap you across the face If you are wasting our time about a potential promotion from "Project Manager" to "Senior Project Manager," I will END YOU.

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 1910/13/2012

Head Barista at the Breakfast/Lunch shift?

by Frustrated in Chicagoreply 2010/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!