Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Todd Akin: No ‘Science’ Behind Evolution

Todd Akin: No ‘Science’ Behind Evolution

By Amanda Peterson Beadle on Oct 12, 2012 at 11:15 am

Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) has had trouble with facts about reproduction. He said in August that women cannot get pregnant from “legitimate rape” because “the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down.” And in 2008, Akin claimed that it is “common practice” for women “who are not actually pregnant” to get abortions.

Now, the GOP Senate candidate who’s running against Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) said last night at a Tea Party meeting in Jefferson City, Missouri, that there’s no science behind evolution:

[quote]AKIN: I don’t see it as even a matter of science because I don’t know that you can prove one or the other. That’s one of those things. We can talk about theology and all of those other things but I’m basically concerned about, you’ve got a choice between Claire McCaskill and myself. My job is to make the thing there. If we want to do theoretical stuff, we can do that, but I think I better stay on topic.

Listen here: (audio at link)

Akin is far from the first member of his party to doubt the scientific evidence behind evolution. Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA), a physician who sits on the House Science, Space and Technology Committee, last week said that “evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory” are “lies straight from the pit of hell.” And during the GOP presidential primary, Michele Bachmann said schools should teach students the creationist theory of intelligent design.

Evolution is a major underpinning of modern science, but many Republicans are espousing anti-science ideas while they’re supposed to be crafting science-based U.S. policies to stop global warming.

by Anonymousreply 1710/19/2012

When are these old fucks going to die? WHEN?

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2012

This comment will only help him with voters. His views are popular on this topic, especially in MO.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2012

[quote] I don’t see it as even a matter of science because I don’t know that you can prove one or the other.

Science almost never sets out to PROVE anything. The word "prove" isn't usually part of the scientific vocabulary. This, of course, leads the right-wing nitwits to cry, "It's not proven! It's just a theory! It's bullshit!" To them, anything that is a scientific "theory" is just a crazy, made-up explanation. But in order for something to rise to the the level of a scientific theory, it has to be supported by a strong body of concrete evidence, with almost no evidence to contrary. Evolution and global warming are two examples of things that are supported by a strong body of concrete evidence, with almost no evidence to the contrary.

It's alarming that we have congressmen sitting on the Science committee who don't even understand what science is.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2012

Is it possible he continues to throw these crazy things out there to prove how stupid the people of Missouri are that they will still vote for him?

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2012

No wonder the US is behind China, Japan Eric when it comes to science.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2012

Source: Kansas City Star

Ignited by the controversy that cost their candidate the backing of national GOP leaders, conservative and anti-abortion women rallied Wednesday in Kansas City to support U.S. Senate candidate Todd Akin.

Akin’s “six seconds of misspeaking, I think, did us all a favor because, ladies, I don’t think we’d be here otherwise,” said former Arkansas first lady Janet Huckabee, speaking to about 130 supporters, mostly women, at the Clarion Hotel Sports Complex.

The wife of 2008 presidential candidate Mike Huckabee added: “People made me mad when they kicked our man when (he was) down. It’s as simple as that. You expect it from your enemy. You don’t expect it from your own.”

Following Akin’s comment in an August TV interview that pregnancies were rare among victims traumatized by “legitimate rape,” the National Republican Senatorial Committee swore off funding his bid to unseat U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat. GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney urged Akin to drop out of the race.

by Anonymousreply 610/18/2012

Todd Akin is very typical of how most American voters actually think. That is why he still has a good chance of winning.

by Anonymousreply 710/18/2012

100% of the intelligent design people believe in Jesus. Have they ever proven he exists? In my book, God and Jesus are just theories.

by Anonymousreply 810/18/2012

I've never seen a monkey turn into a human before my eyes!

by Anonymousreply 910/18/2012

This guy should not be running for dog catcher.

The "theory" of evolution is actually not theory anymore, it is fact by virtue of genomic science. Our knowledge of genetics and genomics has pretty much put to rest any doubt in the evolution of species. We not only know our common species ancestors, but we know how old the human species is, where it began, and when and where it spread across the world. We know all this from genetics. And we know it about a lot more than just humans and other primates.

The idiocy of this fellow and politicians and others like him is, well, idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 1010/18/2012

Oh sure, Charlie. Next you'll be saying global warming is real too.

by Anonymousreply 1110/18/2012

It is of course, and cause by carbon emissions from fossil fuel easily measured in the atmosphere: common knowledge among climate scientists and a lot of people who know how to reada and think and process information.

But I think you are being sarcastic R11.

Did you know that even the fucking Pope thinks evolutionary science is compatable with the spirit of the Christian Bible? (And we of course know that ole queen holds a number of other beliefs that qualify him for Tea Party membership- not that he would deign to mix with them.)

by Anonymousreply 1210/18/2012

Evolution is about as pure an expression of science as there is.

If you deny evolution, you essentially deny all of science.

by Anonymousreply 1310/18/2012

No matter how many times you try to convince yourself, the emperor is NOT wearing clothes

by Anonymousreply 1410/18/2012

He is a typical American.

by Anonymousreply 1510/19/2012

Anyone who has spent even 5 minutes in Misery/Missouri knows that Akin is just expressing what all the voters of that sad state believe. There is no bigger shit hole on the planet than St Louis.

by Anonymousreply 1610/19/2012

R16 has never been in the State of Tennessee. It is like an explosion of shithole towns and cities.

by Anonymousreply 1710/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!