Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can you manage asthma without steroids?

I'd really rather not blimp up.....

Yes, I will talk to my dr. but the appointments not till next Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 1510/15/2012

It depends. You might need a steroid initially to get things under control, but can step down to Albuterol eventually. Also I've not known steroid inhalers to get your puffy. The main side effect I've had is making your voice sound scratchy.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2012

Yes you can.

I use the inhaler and the worst tasting most effective lozenge ever. Fisherman's friend. That little foul tasting lozenge is very helpful.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2012

If you ask, is because your asthma is not that bad. I can manage without for 4 days.Then I start to get wheezing. But sometimes I can go without for a fews weeks.Asthmas comes and goes. Don't force yourself.Asthma kills, and the best thing is an ihaler,If you feel the need to use it.Please do

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2012

I've been on Advair inhaler for 4-5 years. It has a steroidal component, but none of the side effects. BTW, do not try to control your asthma with Albuteral, it's considered your rescue inhaler only.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2012

Advair kills me I can't tolerate it. I use the inhaler only.

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2012

Have you tried cutting wheat and sugar out of your diet? They are major inflammatories. Google "wheat asthma" and see what comes up.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2012

I cut out sugar 30 years ago and did try cutting wheat. Cutting wheat had no impact on me at all, other than to leave me hungry.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2012

Yes I only use my albuterol when I'm having issues, which thankfully isn't that often. I started taking singular for allergies and it also helps with asthma when taken at night. I'm not a fan of advair, but do take it if I have a cold that is affecting my breathing. I only get oral steroids if things get really bad.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2012

What would you do if you star having an asthma attack just when the hottest guy, the one you've been crushing on forever , decides to let you give him a blow job?

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2012

Pop a fisherman's friend in my mouth, lay back and enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2012

High-dose vitamin C.

by Anonymousreply 1110/12/2012

Mildly asthmatic with pretty bad tree, grass and weed allergies.

All I need when things are really bad, to ward off asthma completely is 2.5mg of oral prednisone.

I only take it during the grass and weed portions of the season.

Steroids are anti-inflammatory and also have the effect of suppressing the immune response.

Yep - overactive immune system. Don't get sick as a general rule, and when I do my symptomatic stage is much shorter than those around me.

by Anonymousreply 1210/12/2012

I use a combination of Advair/Singular and my allergist also prescribed aciphex, because he said acid reflux/GERD can irritate the esophagus enough to produce mucus that interferes with the respiratory system. A generic Claritin daily, and I also faithfully use a Sinu-Med (squeezy bottle). I use an albuteral inhaler maybe half a dozen times a year.

I've used different vitamin supplements, but none of the high end (expensive) ones really seemed to have an observable effect, though I take vitamin C and calcium, as well as fish oil and vitamin E daily.

(My asthma is also affected in a positive way by exercise/yoga/massage).

As an adult, my asthma is much better managed/interferes less with my life than when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2012

R12, you left out the fact that they thin your bones.

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2012

...and bloat you like a blow up doll.

by Anonymousreply 1510/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.