Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are You As Confused About Seniors Priorities As Me?

I can't understand why they vote republican. The republicans want them to carry more burden for their health care in a time of their life when everything is falling apart & most are on a fixed income. How does who a person loves & wants to marry become more important than your own lively hood?

by Can't figure it outreply 2110/12/2012

Dementia.

by Can't figure it outreply 110/11/2012

Are you asking "how does a person who loves and wants to marry become more important than your own livelihood"? Are you asking how do marriage rights weigh more than a roof over ones head and food on the table? Simple pragmatism and survival. If you have no place to live and no food to eat, you don't care much about anything else.

And for you R1 who responds "Dementia" . . that's about as stupid as it gets. It's easy to be arrogant if you've never had to worry about the basics of survival.

by Can't figure it outreply 210/11/2012

Get a load of R2.

by Can't figure it outreply 310/11/2012

Religion and what they were taught will send them to hell is a bigger priority. They will vote against their own survival if it means they're "right by God.". The programming is deep.

by Can't figure it outreply 410/11/2012

And not all seniors are destitute.

Yet.

by Can't figure it outreply 510/11/2012

[quote]The republicans want them to carry more burden for their health care in a time of their life when everything is falling apart & most are on a fixed income.

They don't know that. What they see is that Romney/Ryan are vowing to "save" Medicare, while Obama is "destroying" it by cutting $700 billion.

by Can't figure it outreply 610/11/2012

They're a-skeered of the Black Man!

by Can't figure it outreply 710/11/2012

Oh, and Romney and Ryan have specifically be saying that their new plans won't kick in for ten years.

by Can't figure it outreply 810/11/2012

OP makes a valid point.

I think most simply don't know or understand what the guy they're voting for plans or how it would affect them.

I think they just want the n****r out of the White House.

by Can't figure it outreply 910/11/2012

How sad that you're so confused, OP. Are you aware that not every senior in the U.S. is supporting Romney? Are you aware that gay people in the U.S. are planning to vote for Romney? Does that confuse you, too?

Some people are stupid. Stupid people voted for Bush. Stupid people will vote for Romney.

Some people are too stupid to realize that there are stupid people who will vote against their interests. Those stupid people come to DL to announce that they're confused.

by Can't figure it outreply 1010/11/2012

Because there's no fool like an old fool!

by Can't figure it outreply 1110/11/2012

[quote]in a time of their life when everything is falling apart & most are on a fixed income

You've never been to The Villages op....shuffleboard, tennis, Florida's friendliest hometown.

The old have ALL the money!

by Can't figure it outreply 1210/12/2012

Well what do you mean by senior? I am 55 and have never voted for a Republican. My mom is 88 and making phone calls for Obama.

by Can't figure it outreply 1310/12/2012

Most of them vote Democrat.

The ones who don't are Kansans terrified of social changes that already happened forty years ago.

by Can't figure it outreply 1410/12/2012

R10 FU

by Can't figure it outreply 1510/12/2012

I'm not sure I get this, but maybe they're on to something (British researchers, I think):

One reason the left has such difficulty forging a lasting connection with voters is that the right has a built-in advantage – conservatives have a broader moral palate than the liberals (as we call leftists in the US). Think about it this way: our tongues have taste buds that are responsive to five classes of chemicals, which we perceive as sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and savoury. Sweetness is generally the most appealing of the five tastes, but when it comes to a serious meal, most people want more than that.

In the same way, you can think of the moral mind as being like a tongue that is sensitive to a variety of moral flavors. In my research with colleagues atYourMorals.org, we have identified six moral concerns as the best candidates for being the innate "taste buds" of the moral sense: care/harm, fairness/cheating, liberty/oppression, loyalty/betrayal, authority/subversion, and sanctity/degradation. Across many kinds of surveys, in the UK as well as in the USA, we find that people who self-identify as being on the left score higher on questions about care/harm.

by Can't figure it outreply 1610/12/2012

Alot of people try to substitute bluster and emotional reaction for intelligence and being well informed. The bluster/emotion crowd are also lazy in finding anything out and thinking for themselves, hence, Rush Limbaugh's following as well as alot of Christian religion, not to mention alot of religion, period. These types need to be spoon fed their propaganda and I suspect that's why the South votes republican. Does anyone else find it interesting that New England today, the place where many people do think for themselves, votes Democratic whereas historically they generally voted republican, while the South, once solidly Democratic for reasons other than independent thought is now very republican? Anyway, this might go some way toward explaining why some seniors vote the way they do, but I don't think alot of them are too happy with what they hear from the republicans about Social Security and Medicare.

by Can't figure it outreply 1710/12/2012

[quote] How does who a person loves & wants to marry

you are just bringing your own issues to the election op (not that I disagree with you)

The gay issue isn't the main reason people may vote republican....as Bill Clinton would say....it's the economy stupid

by Can't figure it outreply 1810/12/2012

Religious people are going to respond more to the moral issues loyalty/betrayal and sanctity/degradation.

t's hammered into them from toddlerhood to belong to the Christan "tribe" and to fear and hate non-Christans (thus the appeal of calling Obama a Moslem), and the sanctity/degradation issue comes up with abortion, birth control for women who aren't married, even gay rights, because they cite Biblical references to homosexuality being wrong.

Southerners are less educated and less intelligent, in general, as well.

The authority/subversion plays in there somehow as well - daddy's already right - God's alright right - that Bible can't have anything wrong in it - and to even suggest so is a sin, and the authority will burn you in hell for it (or daddy will tan your be-hind.)

by Can't figure it outreply 1910/12/2012

[quote]... your own lively hood ...

My hood isn't very lively, but that's how I prefer it, now that I'm old and tired.

by Can't figure it outreply 2010/12/2012

OP, it has to do with seniors being mean and cheap -- they don't want higher taxes, they don't want their own benefits taken away, and the idea of people under 55 having their own Medicare plan changed into a voucher is just fine by them. They don't think they will pay the price.

They will, of course, because the Romney plan amounts to privatization of Medicare, but they don't understand that.

There's also racism involved and religious principles. But mostly? They've got theirs and fuck you. Which, as we know, is the guiding principle of the Republican party.

by Can't figure it outreply 2110/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.