Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boy George

Lets talk about Boy George. Anyone here met him? Any gossip?

by Anonymousreply 8012/09/2014

A couple of friends knew/ know him and say he's witty and lovely.

I have no time for his music, but I admire him when interviewed. Even when being bated or goaded he responds with dignified pithiness.

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2012

I think she's pretty.

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2012

I think he's quit smoking, which is good. Or at least cut down. He admits his singing had become hoarse during his heavy drugging days.

I wish he hadn't self-destructed so quickly in the 80s, since he was a very good singer/song-writer, and so funny. I can't remember any other big pop stars being out at the time. Elton was in his sham of a marriage, so he didn't count.

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2012

Love Boy George. He's made some excellent music since leaving Culture Club. Had tickets to see him perform in Boston a couple years ago, but after his arrest he was barred from entering the country (and the US-leg of his tour was canceled). I hope he plans another tour soon.

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 510/21/2012

he is gay

by Anonymousreply 610/21/2012

His autobiography was excellent and well-written. I'll forgive his bad stuff for that little bit of intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 710/21/2012

"He admits his singing had become hoarse during his heavy drugging days."

I'm having that problem right now!

by Anonymousreply 810/21/2012

[quote] A couple of friends knew/ know him and say he's witty and lovely.

He wasn't so lovely to me.

by Anonymousreply 910/21/2012

Thanks R6, for that fast-breaking news alert.

In other news, Elton John is gay.

by Anonymousreply 1010/21/2012

creepy rapist

by Anonymousreply 1210/21/2012

I never liked his music, but as a previous poster said, he comes across as perceptive, kind, and pithy in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 1310/21/2012

I'll tumble for ya

by Anonymousreply 1410/21/2012

He always made passes at me. I just had to explain to him, again and again, I'm straight!

by Anonymousreply 1510/21/2012

Moss is mostly straight, that's why George looked as much like a girl as he could while they were together.

by Anonymousreply 1610/21/2012

He was a great singer.

Culture Club was big not only on Top 40 radio, but even R&B radio where I got to know them.

by Anonymousreply 1710/21/2012

His early 90s more dance-oriented stuff under the moniker Jesus Loves You was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 1810/21/2012

I've been a fan of his for ages. He was a ground-breaker in the day and we just don't see freaks like that anymore.

Most people think he just stopped after Culture Club, but the truth is he's worked constantly. Even during his periods of drug addiction. He says he's busier now than he's ever been with his various projects. He just doesn't have the same level of fame, which he probably prefers.

In terms of his work I prefer his solo stuff. It's much edgier and more interesting than anything he did with CC.

By his own admission he can be moody, rude, and unpleasant, even to fans. He feels that if someone is being an ass to him he'll respond in kind. He's basically a working class scrapper. He had to be considering how he grew up and his early life in squats amongst the punks and New Romantic guttersnipes. He has a reputation among his friends for being a cunt at times.

He's funny and charming in interviews, but if you watch one of the many "behind the scenes" documentaries about him you'll see that he can be bitchy and difficult.

by Anonymousreply 1910/22/2012

He is the Lance Loud of our age.

by Anonymousreply 2010/22/2012

R21, Not true. He was a great, if underrated, singer.

Check out his vocals on "The Crying Game" on youtube. According to a music biz guy I dated around that time, Boy George got that in one take.

by Anonymousreply 2210/22/2012

I love his voice. Fans should check out a Europe-only Culture Club album called "Don't Mind If I Do."

by Anonymousreply 2310/22/2012

He can sing. He doesn't have a great voice, but it's fine. Effective for the kind of music he does. It's raspy and soulful.

He never said he couldn't sing. What he said was that he was a lazy singer. In the early days he often sang just under the note.

He certainly doesn't need a bunch studio wizardry like most pop stars these days.

by Anonymousreply 2410/22/2012

[quote] A great singer?! Are you all deaf?

No, and I've read plenty of critical acclaim for his voice. The only reason a flamboyant white queen was able to crossover to the R&B charts in the 80s, was because he had a rich, soulful voice.

[quote] Even he has admitted that he can't really sing.

Link please. And even if he did say it, he probably meant it as a joke. Or just happened to be in a overly humble mood.

Now admittedly I do think he let his voice go downhill with his smoking and drugging. He made one of his best albums during that period, U Can Never B 2 Straight. All the songs are great and George sings them well but you can hear the hoarseness, and I'd prefer it was done with his clear 80s voice.

by Anonymousreply 2510/22/2012

George Boy appearing on 'Face The Nation' to discuss the "Feminizing of America"

Start at 3:27 In

by Anonymousreply 2610/22/2012

The first time I saw him - I was a little kid - I couldn't figure out if he was male or female but I had a feeling SOMETHING ELSE was going on and I liked it. In my 20s I finally figured out I like gender-bendery fellas.

by Anonymousreply 2710/22/2012

It was 30 years ago that he said that, so I wouldn't know where to find a link, but I certainly remember it. The point about him joking is possible, but when I hear him sing without music, it's just not a "great voice". He's no George Michael.

by Anonymousreply 2810/22/2012

Here's him singing a cappella. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 2910/22/2012

He had a good voice but age, drugs, smoking, and alcohol changed that.

by Anonymousreply 3010/22/2012

Saw him on Broadway in "Taboo". He was laugh out loud funny and wrote a gorgeous score. Might be shy because he snuck in and out of the theater and not many people saw him off the stage.

by Anonymousreply 3110/22/2012

I am currently reading his biography "Take it like a Man". I can't put the damn thing down - it's a real page turner.

Does he still have any of the money he made from Culture Club?

by Anonymousreply 3212/21/2012

When he first showed up his look was incredible. Nobody looked like him - the ribbon-braided hair, the hat, the makeup - he was absolutely original and unique. And the songs were great too.

by Anonymousreply 3312/21/2012

R30, that new voice comes in handy in that Mark Ronson song, I really like it.

by Anonymousreply 3412/21/2012

The man can sing. He's no Darren Hayes but he can sing very well.

by Anonymousreply 3512/21/2012

Give me time to realize my crime...

I still get goosebumps when I hear him sing that opening line. How can anyone say he couldn't sing!

by Anonymousreply 3612/21/2012

He's a really good singer, and I'm picky. I don't think there's any comparison with George Michael, because his voice never did shit for me. Someone who thinks Michael's voice is great probably wouldn't be able to appreciate Boy's.

by Anonymousreply 3712/21/2012

R37 that's not true. I actually love them both. Different types of singers and different qualities to their voices. Obvious comparisons because both were blue eyed soul. Just because GM did nothing for you, it's hard to deny his great voice and incredible talent. BG sounds more soulful and rich and more vulnerable. Love them both - wish we had singers like that now on the charts.

by Anonymousreply 3812/21/2012

[quote] Does he still have any of the money he made from Culture Club?

He's owned a giant, castle-like house since the CC days. Every once in a while rumors float that he's going to lose it, and George always laughs it off. Perez Hilton initiated a friendship with George and then pissed him off by posting that George was going to do UK's Big Brother because he was desperate for money. George corrected him on twitter, saying if he did do Big Brother, it wouldn't be for fun, not the money. They had been begging him for years, and he finally agreed, but it was shortly before his arrest so it never happened. Again Perez made him look like a pathetic has-been desperate for money, ignoring George's denial on twitter. That really pissed George off and ended their friendship.

by Anonymousreply 3912/21/2012

Bitter Bitter Bitter. He had a great voice. Over now. His new album is overproduced in order drown out his raspy warblings. Actually the album's pretty good except for the singing.

by Anonymousreply 4012/21/2012

The video for his new single came out today.

I like the song, and think he looks and sounds good. Don't think the video really supports the song well though. Maybe it's just that boxing metaphors bore me.

by Anonymousreply 4110/08/2013

Looks like he has lost a ton of weight. Good for him!

by Anonymousreply 4210/08/2013

He has a very nice voice, very expressive and sensual.

He truly fucked up when he became a junkie. I remember some pictures of him at some concert where he was so out of it he could barely stank and his face was covered with what looked like smears of white flour. Seems that his makeup had melted off due to the heat and somebody had the bright idea of putting a facial on him.

When he's not on drugs he seems like a pleasant, reasonably intelligent person with a good sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 4310/08/2013

We used to use the same dealer who lived at 2 Fifth. I'd run into him there every so oftern. Said dealer was a Puerto Rican gent with an enormous cock, used to fuck me righteous, not sure if George got the same treatment.

by Anonymousreply 4410/08/2013

He's fun on twitter. He appears to live the jet set life of a celebrity DJ. I'll check out the new songs since I really like "King of Everything." It's very catchy.

by Anonymousreply 4510/08/2013

Sister George is looking good!

Great new song!

by Anonymousreply 4610/08/2013

He had a good voice but it's absolutely shot now. Heard his new single which is to be released soon - catchy enough but the voice has gone.

Try comparing his voice on Karma Chameleon with his duet with Antony & The Johnsons You are my Sister. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 4710/08/2013

I think it's still a nice voice. Yes, he's lost his range.

But Karma Chameleon was shiteous. You Are My Sister is fantastic. So is Someone To Love Me, which might be his finest work in years.

by Anonymousreply 4810/08/2013

DON'T let him tie you up to a chair.

He might try to sing to you.

by Anonymousreply 4910/08/2013

I bet he had to write I'll Tumble 4 U, three times before he finally came up with a winner.

by Anonymousreply 5010/09/2013

he was off his face on drugs when i saw him do a gig at the tunnel in 1993. he got off stage, was rude to his fans, then ran upstairs to the bathroom where he took a big shit and didn't flush the bowl. i didn't see it but i heard he left a giant log in there and it was some queen dressed like him that threw him under the bus. i wonder if someone tried to fish it out of the bowl and save it.

by Anonymousreply 5105/31/2014

r3 He wasn't out in the 80's. He was "original" and "weird" in the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 5205/31/2014

As a young teen I admired him. He was brassy and bold and so quick witted.

The last I saw of him in the media was a doc that went out on UK channel 4. Basically he let them film him around the time of his community service in NYC for the drug bust.

His life seemed rotten and sleazy. His London flat (no big house, that must be long gone) was covered with his paintings of rent boys spread butt cheeks. He was spending a lot of time online looking for hook-ups.

I wonder if he and George Michael ever hang out? Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 5305/31/2014

His oft quoted line from the eighties was that he'd "rather have a cup of tea than sex". He manipulated the grannies and mums into seeing him as a cuddly camp asexual, very non-threatening, so they would buy his music for their kids and grandkids.

When the news broke of his heroin use and his being gay it was - bizarrely- quite shocking to many.

by Anonymousreply 5405/31/2014

I once met a rent boy who told me his friend used to trick for George all of the time. George used to like hot candle wax dripped onto his balls.

by Anonymousreply 5505/31/2014

R10 I never knew Boy George and Elton John were gay!? That is so shocking....what next George Michael is gay too?

I remember George claiming in an 80s interview that he made love to a woman. To be honest I thought it was complete bullshit. Richard Simmons probably had a much greater chance of fucking a girl than Boy George did.

by Anonymousreply 5605/31/2014

I love Boy George and Culture Club but not even I can't over look the retarded War Song

[italic]War war is stupid and people are stupid[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 5705/31/2014

And that is also the harshest criticism I have of him.

by Anonymousreply 5805/31/2014

Who said he lost weight?

He's as big as Wynona Judd in the link at R48.

Sounds really bad too. Not just the hoarseness, which happens when you get older, but he can't hit the notes anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5905/31/2014

R58, I agree that the lyrics are idiotic, but I've always loved that song. Helen Terry's vocals are awesome, and her extended solo at 2:00 sounds like a great Pink Floyd homage.

by Anonymousreply 6005/31/2014

r57 I think George is bitter because he knows he threw many, many years of his life away on drugs and rentboys and is now a 53 year old man with no boyfriend or husband.

by Anonymousreply 6105/31/2014

I love War Song.

by Anonymousreply 6205/31/2014

I love Church of the Poison Mind. Always been my fave

by Anonymousreply 6306/01/2014

Years ago, he hit on my friend at B-Bar. My friend freaked out and ran off and we all got mad at him at the time for depriving us of juicy cocktail conversation fodder. Something like 3 weeks later, Boy George got arrested for torturing a trick.

by Anonymousreply 6406/01/2014

His new-ish album, "This Is What I Do", is really good.

His voice sounds strained, but it makes me feel old, in a not so bad way.

by Anonymousreply 6506/03/2014

"I think George is bitter because he knows he threw many, many years of his life away on drugs and rentboys and is now a 53 year old man with no boyfriend or husband."

He doesn't have a husband but I seriously doubt he doesn't have a "boyfriend." He's probably got plenty of them. He's BOY GEORGE.

by Anonymousreply 6606/04/2014

I think he's fascinating, and I still like his voice.

But I followed him on Twitter for a while a few years back and it made me sad. Still fighting with everyone, blocking people left and of those people who thinks the number of people he's rejected is a source of pride/achievement.

You can have all the money and fame in the world, but it won't fix what's broken inside.

by Anonymousreply 6706/04/2014

His parents are Irish though rumors have it that George doesn't suffer from the Irish curse himself......

by Anonymousreply 6806/04/2014

Boy George and Adam Lambert met again last month. They met each other back in 2010 and had good things to say about each other.

by Anonymousreply 6906/04/2014

My favourite song of his is The Crying Game produced by the Pet Shop Boys.

by Anonymousreply 7006/04/2014

Loved him on the Broadway stage in TABOO. First saw the show with his understudy. Then, went again to see him.

Wow! What a difference star power makes!

by Anonymousreply 7106/04/2014

Culture Club made some great music in their first few years of fame, stuff that helped define an era. Then continued to make music through the years but it was never mainstream material. When all is said and done about the personalities that made/broke this band, they were all musicians at heart. They lived for the music, to make it. That kind of sincerity will outlast the superficiality. Gaga's music won't ever be as nostalgic.

And btw, I had a raging hardon for Mikey Craig. Adorable sex on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 7207/06/2014

[quote]And btw, I had a raging hardon for Mikey Craig. Adorable sex on a stick.

I actually met him about 5 years ago in London. He was very nice.

by Anonymousreply 7307/07/2014

Bumping this thread because I was getting into George's music last weekend. I've always been a fan and had collected a lot of his mp3s, but didn't have the complete albums. In the 80s I stopped buying CC's albums by the 3rd, Waking Up With The House On Fire. So I'd never heard that or their 4th, Luxury and Heartache. I downloaded most of his discography in lossless on Saturday. Kissing To Be Clever is just ok to me. Some moments of brilliance, most of all Time (Clock of the Heart.) White Boy is also fun, CC's first single and still a jamming dance track all these years later. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me is fine, but a little too played out. I'll Tumble 4 U is a goofy novelty song. The best of the filler tracks, You Know I'm Not Crazy, Love Twist and I'm Afraid Of Me are just ok. Love Twist could be improved by editing out the long boring stretches with the rapper. The part with George's vocal is pretty fab.

More reviews to come, not that I expect anyone to care. Just wanted to discuss his music with other fans. I LOVE the next album Colour By Numbers.

by Anonymousreply 7412/09/2014

I think George's voice was beautiful in the beginning. Soulful and intimate. Now it's been all Marianne Faithfulled by his drugs and life, but it's still very interesting in a totally different way.

Didn't he famously feud with a lot of singers back in the day? I had read that he had to record his vocals for the Band Aid single separately because he was fighting with so many of the other singers.

by Anonymousreply 7512/09/2014

Yes George is famous for his catty remarks. He's hilarious, a big part of why he's loved.

by Anonymousreply 7612/09/2014

Boy George is always a great interview, he's very candid and just lets it fly.

by Anonymousreply 7712/09/2014

My favorite Boy George story is the one about him and his friend Marilyn going to see Madonna in concert in the mid-80s. It was Madonna's first big tour and BG and Marilyn had front-row seats. They kept yelling "tart! tart! tart!" at Madonna as she was performing on stage, and she was not amused. Security confronted BG and Marilyn and told them to stop it or they would be ejected. BG said he thought the whole thing was funny.

by Anonymousreply 7812/09/2014

He's a straight pussy hound with a raging case of syphilis and a scorching case of herpes. He pretends to put on a condom and then raw dogs that pussy. The average time for his herpes to produce symptoms is 32.675 minutes and 42.895 his syphilis. After downing enough pills to supply a LA pharmacy, I woke up with a pool of his aftermath and within minutes had developed horrible crusty scabs on my labia. I haven't stopped crying. FUCK YOU RAPIST.

by Anonymousreply 7912/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!