Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My psychiatrist depresses me

He says I need to find a career and a proper relationship so I don't get depressed. Well duh....$105 for that? If I'd found those things I wouldn't have gone to the psychiatrist.

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2012

Is he nasty too? They often are, and don't offer ideas to resolve an issue. I saw one at a fairly renowned clinic who suggested that I was gay because my father died when I was a kid this was what made me gay. We spoke about how I used to self harm, which although I hid from everyone, he said was for attention. My partner was dying with AIDS at the time and he told me I was repeating my father dying as a kid out of choice. What he taught me was that there is no one that can get you out of not coping is yourself.

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2012

OP, I had no idea my mother had become a psychiatrist!

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2012

Psychiatrists basically know what pills to prescribe schitzophrenics and other of the more profound illnesses. On the softer stuff they prescribe anti-depressants like they pop out if pez dispensers and play along.

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2012

r2 gets a w & W from me!!

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2012

OP, that wasn't a shrink...that was a Jewish mother!!!

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2012

OP, you poor sweet darling baby! You are too, too sensitive to be told such harsh realities. Doesn't he realize you're there to have your hand hold and your cares soothed?

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2012

Wow, do you use a coupon? I get charged $700 for the same advice. I've got to pay more attention to Groupon.

by Anonymousreply 710/11/2012

R1 sounds like a handful.

by Anonymousreply 810/11/2012

OP, you cannot necessarily find a relationship. Relationships can be hard to find.

But you can take steps to develop some sort of career.

by Anonymousreply 910/11/2012

r6=Mitt Romney

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2012

My therapist, when I was explaining my problems and work, said "Why can't you just be happy that you have a job?"

Bitch. Yeah, thanks for the help. I feel much better now.

I never went back after that.

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2012

It is my firm opinion that most medical doctors are hypochondriacs and most psychiatrists are mentally ill. My shrink used to play little power trips on me. I fired his ass and found a pharmacologist so I can just pick up the pills.

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2012

My psych sent a letter to my GP that included something along the lines of "has no social life". I'm not sure where that came from as I have quite an active social life except when I am depressed, which I have been lately. No one wants to go out when they're depressed.

by Anonymousreply 1310/12/2012

They are a waste of money if you already have good friends, some who just listen and others who dispense tough love.

The best you can get from counseling is learning how to identify, define and name your neuroses and problems. Being able to give them names is not the same as getting rid of them or fixing them. A good counselor gives homework. Most people don't want to do it. Certainly not regularly. They know people are inherently lazy, not disciplined.

A good counselor will fire you if they think they can't help you. Bad ones just keep collecting their checks and try to hold back how annoyed they are at the same old stories from people who don't want to do anything too difficult to change their lives.

Good friends who don't coddle you, a dog who does, and maybe some NLP activities, are your best bet.

by Anonymousreply 1410/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.