Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"People Don't 'Die In Their Apartment Because They Don't Have Insurance"

Yes, Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney actually said this today. Of course you won't see this is in the evil "Liberal Main Stream Media". And people will still vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 2610/15/2012

She's such a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2012

He's so out of touch he has no idea that he's out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2012

He's a lying cunting liar

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2012

Every time he talks about this it's always a heart attack. It is true that if a person without insurance suffers a heart attack he or she can get emergency help. If a person like my grandfather has liver cancer and is uninsured they will die in their homes.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2012

Shouldn't 'apartment' be plural?

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2012

With my plan, they'll die of starvation long before their hearts give out.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2012

I know we've already covered this out-of-touch, arrogant comment of Romney's before, but it's very telling that he chose the word "apartment" instead of "home". Home implies a warmness Romney obviously doesn't feel for 99.9% of society. "Apartment" shows he assumes every single one of them couldn't possibly be stable and responsible enough to live in a house, since half of society -- according to Romney -- "refuse to take responsibility for their lives."

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2012

I saw this. I can't believe it's not getting more play in the media. Mitt has no comprehension that once you go to the emergency room with no insurance you will face medical bills that will bankrupt you. He has never had the experience of not having enough money to pay your bills.

by Anonymousreply 910/12/2012

Not only that, he has no comprehension of how horrible an ER can be.

A poster above mentioned his grandfather with liver cancer. Can you imagine being weak and in pain from such a disease, then having to sit for hours in those horrible orange plastic chairs waiting to be seen?

by Anonymousreply 1010/12/2012

To Mitt:

"You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go"

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2012

It's like he's in a huge park with only 3 piles of dog shit in the entire park. He always manages to find the pile and step in it.

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2012

No, people don't die in their homes because they don't have insurance.

Instead, they're so afraid of crushing bills that they stay home until they're at death's door, and then they call 911. Then they spend weeks in the ICU slowly dying, and nobody every pays the hospital for it. So the hospital passes the cost on to the rest of you, and makes less available to the patients who can pay.

That's why I'm for universal health care! Nobody should go without, nobody should face financial ruin, and all needed service are paid for.

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2012

The homeless die in the streets all the time.

I work in medical social service.

If a homeless person is hit-and-run by a car, happens all the time, and is hospitalized for more than 30 days, happens all the time, medicaid picks up the entire bill.

Not inexpensive.

Under 30 days the local entities pick up the bill.

Not inexpensive.

Universal coverage is MUCH less expensive.

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2012

Remember the days when a statement this ignorant and wrong and arrogane would have KILLED a campaign?

Now it barely gets any notice in the press at all.

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2012

Ya gotta wonder, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2012

Rape victims receive bills from the hospital for enormous amounts for all the STD tests and the HIV PEP kit. Here's a bill for almost $5,000 sent to an uninsured rape victim:

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2012

Memo to Mitt Romney: WHICH IS IT?

We're moving on to a critical phase of the election, the phase where we seek answers to questions that don't really matter. Because if you still, at this point, are using the answers to questions that DO matter before you decide how you're going to vote, go fuck yourself.

Here's the unknowable question of the ages. Does Mitt Romney believe the right-wing talking point canards he spouts, does he use them shamelessly, knowing exactly what they are, or does he simply not put that much thought into it? I know where I'd place my bets. And it isn't on me coming up with a theme song before the election.

"No, you go to the hospital, you get treated, you get care, and it’s paid for, either by charity, the government or by the hospital. We don’t have people that become ill, who die in their apartment because they don’t have insurance.” - Mitt Romney, on how America is awesome.

Yes, they do.

Ignore, for a moment, that emergency room treatment is the least efficient, most expensive form of health care there is. Ignore that.

Yes, people fucking well do die in their apartment because they don't have insurance. It's a thing that happens. Partly because a lack of insurance means a lack of preventive coverage which means the thing that kills you kills you before you make it to the emergency room.

Mitt said this for the same reason everyone on the right says it - because it makes their opposition to expanding coverage to the poor seem less cruel than it actually is. And Mitt probably doesn't even believe it, unless he didn't believe it all those times he talked about how unpaid emergency room bills for last-minute coverage is a bad thing.

"I'm convinced that the path [Obama's] put us on is the path to Europe. Or, I jokingly California." - Mitt Romney, taking liberties with the Electoral College system. . . .

Republicans love to shit on California for its hippies, its decadent leftism, its hippies, oh, and all the gay people too. And all the years it's spent under Republican governors like Schwarzenegger and Reagan. Oh, wait. It doesn't matter why they hate California, they hate California, and so Mitt Romney is going to jokingly hate California while making sure he tells you he's saying it jokingly because he's Mitt Romney and you wouldn't know otherwise.

Oh, and Mitt Romney owns at least one house in California, just so you know.

"[F]rankly, I was born with a silver spoon, which is the greatest gift you could have, which is to get born in America. I'll tell ya, there is -- 95 percent of life is set up for you if you're born in this country." - Mitt, talking to donors.

Remember when Mitt visited Papa John's mansion and thought everyone should live like that? Yeah. Well, Mitt thinks 95% of his life was set BECAUSE AMERICA, and so 95% of everyone's life is set BECAUSE AMERICA.

"Because America", is, of course, the Republican's answer to making things shittier in America. Because if America is magically the best, it doesn't have to be objectively the best, which means they can keep making it worse while keeping it the best.

Of course, Mitt Romney had 95% of his life set up because he was born white and to a rich family, but if you say that, that's class warfare and hating America. Why? BECAUSE AMERICA. -- Bryan Lambert

by Anonymousreply 1810/15/2012

r18 - it Rmoney the posterchild for that website? He should be.

by Anonymousreply 1910/15/2012

by Anonymousreply 2010/15/2012

I agree with R10 - You simply haven't lived til you've spent an evening at the Parkland ER in Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 2110/15/2012

This ALONE should have killed his campaign. Yet it's barely a blip. WTF is going on??

by Anonymousreply 2210/15/2012

If only Mitt's religious superstitions were true: I'd pray that he be visited by the spirits of those who DID die. And that they be PISSED.

Fuck, this is why you don't elect a sociopath to the highest office in the land.

by Anonymousreply 2310/15/2012

R15, I hate to say it, but it becomes increasingly clear to me the media collecively wants Romney to win. Or wants Obama to lose, if you will. So Romney gets a pass on EVERYTHING he says, it seems. Prejudice runs very very deep in this country, even among supposedly sophisticated, liberal, big-city reporter/journalist types. somebody ought to call them on their shit.

(I hope, IF Romney wins [the horror, the horror] that Bill Maher absolutely goes postal on his tv show and rips any number of "liberals" a new asshole. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 2410/15/2012

He gets away with this shit because we've become a nasty, terrible, greedy lot of wicked people thanks to the media. Thanks to reality shows, Facebook, Twitter, 24 hour news cycles and iPhones among other capitalistic entrapments, a Presidential candidate can say things like this and get a bump in the polls.

As a society we've degenerated and put garbage on a pedestal, because that's what we consume every day of our lives, garbage. We worship greed, we celebrate vulgarity, we vote for the worst.

There is no hope.

by Anonymousreply 2510/15/2012

r25 is absolutely correct.

Too many supporting examples.

by Anonymousreply 2610/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!