Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Yay! 'Munsters' reboot 'Mockingbird Lane' will air as a Halloween special.

NBC will air 'Munsters' reboot 'Mockingbird Lane' as a Halloween special

By Rick Porter, October 11, 2012 1:31 PM ET

"Mockingbird Lane," the hour-long, updated version of 1960s sitcom "The Munsters," will see the light of day on NBC after all.

Don't get too excited, though: The network is planning to air the pilot episode as a Halloween special later this month, largely as a way to make back some of the reported $10 million it cost to make the pilot. According to The Hollywood Reporter, it's slated for 8 p.m. ET Friday, Oct. 26.

The project from "Pushing Daisies" creator Bryan Fuller and director Bryan Singer has been in development for a couple of years, but NBC opted not to pick up the pilot to series last spring. The show remained in play into the summer, when Portia de Rossi was cast as Lily Munster (replacing Mariana Klaveno, who was committed to "Devious Maids" at Lifetime).

Reports earlier this month, however, said NBC wasn't thrilled with the finished pilot and was unlikely to pick it up.

Fuller is also working on another NBC series, "Hannibal," for midseason, so even if "Mockingbird Lane" somehow pulls fabulous ratings and NBC changes its mind on a pickup, he may not be available to serve as showrunner.

"Mockingbird Lane" also stars Jerry O'Connell as Herman Munster, Eddie Izzard as Grandpa, Mason Cook as Eddie and Charity Wakefield as Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 4811/01/2012

Can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2012

Given Paul Ryan's wolfish look and his blind allegiance to dad-like buffoons, I think he's perfect to play me.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2012

It's on right now.

by Anonymousreply 310/26/2012

What the fuck is the purpose of The Munsters looking normal, give or take a scar or two. Worthless, deserved to be shit canned.

by Anonymousreply 410/26/2012

I'm enjoying it, but I can't picture how this could have been a 22-episode network series. 12-episode cable at best.

Jerry O'Connell is appealing but playing too much of the "straight man". Cheyenne Jackson actually might have made a better Herman than Jerry.

Portia di Rossi not working in the role.

Eddie Izzard, Marilyn and Eddie Munster are all excellent.

by Anonymousreply 510/26/2012

I love Eddie Izzard.

by Anonymousreply 610/26/2012

And Jerry's atrocious hairpiece.........

by Anonymousreply 710/26/2012

I found it surprisingly dull. There were a lot of good ideas, but it didn't quite come together for me.

by Anonymousreply 810/26/2012

Did this ACTUALLY air?!

by Anonymousreply 910/26/2012

The Munsters was a one of a kind, once in a lifetime phenomenon and cannot be repeated. They tried in 1988 with The Munsters Today

by Anonymousreply 1010/26/2012

Agree 100% with r8 -- some good ideas but overall dull. Can't imagine it being a full series.

by Anonymousreply 1110/27/2012

Bryan Singer directed and all three male leads were suggested to be nude even the kid who played Eddie.

by Anonymousreply 1210/27/2012

Well, at least Singer had some fun.

That was just embarrassing. And they had to pad the hour with all those stupid teasers.

Why bother even pretending it was set in San Francisco, with all those geographically impossible views of the Golden Gate Bridge?

by Anonymousreply 1310/27/2012

It's what I'd call a turdblossom.

by Anonymousreply 1410/27/2012

The Addamms Family was always much better than the Munsters.

by Anonymousreply 1510/27/2012

The scene where the middle school coach hosts an orgy in the boys locker room was disturbing, but also classic Bryan.

by Anonymousreply 1610/27/2012

I actually liked it. Would have been interesting to see what it could have become.My only problem with it was they relied a little too much on our knowedge of the original show. Most people under 30 have probably never seen it and would have no clue as to the archetypes these people were playing.

by Anonymousreply 1710/27/2012

Am I the only one who felt a sexual undercurrent between Cheyenne Jackson and Jerry O'Connell?

by Anonymousreply 1810/27/2012

Was this a one time only TV special or has Singer committed himself to an actual TV series?

by Anonymousreply 1910/27/2012

R19 the pilot was shot but not ordered.

by Anonymousreply 2010/27/2012

Next, a reboot of "Li'l Abner."

by Anonymousreply 2110/27/2012

This was truly craptastic.

by Anonymousreply 2210/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 2310/27/2012

Too much killing. The orginal Munsters was very sweet-natured...

by Anonymousreply 2410/27/2012

Here's the original Munsters pilot. Joan Marshall played "Phoebe Munster." She comes off as a harried Jewish housewife.

by Anonymousreply 2510/27/2012

[quote]Most people under 30 have probably never seen it and would have no clue as to the archetypes these people were playing.

Just to put this out there...The Munsters is currently airing daily on Boomerang, a kids network.

by Anonymousreply 2610/27/2012

The Munsters actually "killed," people in this??? I hate when they try to take something goofy and sweet and "update," it to make it "edgy" Will the Bewitched remake have Sam and Endora be part of a demonic cult?

by Anonymousreply 2710/27/2012

The tone was completely off and the actors, save for Izzard, floundered. I see why NBC pulled the plug. Speaking of Izzard, was he wearing old-age makeup or does he really look that bad?

by Anonymousreply 2810/27/2012

[quote]Here's the original Munsters pilot. Joan Marshall played "Phoebe Munster." She comes off as a harried Jewish housewife.

More like a Morticia Addams knockoff to me. Yvonne DeCarlo as Lily was the anti-Morticia -- June Cleaver in goth makeup.

by Anonymousreply 2910/27/2012

I thought the Munsters adorable but that pilot was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 3010/27/2012

it was ok

by Anonymousreply 3110/27/2012

No Igor the bat. Fail!

by Anonymousreply 3210/27/2012

Maybe they'll do a sequel next Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 3310/31/2012

I actually really liked it. I can see where the network was put of by all the murder when they expected a sweet family show. But the candy-colors Bryan Fuller kind of show needs that darkness to work.

by Anonymousreply 3410/31/2012

I once gave Al Lewis a blumpkin in grand central station

by Anonymousreply 3510/31/2012

[quote]Speaking of Izzard, was he wearing old-age makeup or does he really look that bad?

It was makeup. During a scene at the end, during the too graphic for television disembowelment of Cheyenne Jackson, he drank Cheyenne's blood and became youthful. But he wasn't really seen again after that scene.

by Anonymousreply 3610/31/2012

In general I loved it, but boy, did I jump at the campfire opening scene. And I am sorry, but given this is directed by Singer I couldn't help but be even more creeped out by the image of Eddie waking up naked in a bush (when is too young too young?).

To me Lily was terribly miscast. A great deal of the special effects were bad and over the top bad without being camp, funny, or scary. I liked Jerry O'Connell as doofus Herman (also the hint of giving his dark outline bolts in his introduction scene) who just loves too much. Nice guest appearance of Cheyenne Jackson. To me the best was the female neighbor in her scooter.

I see why NBC bailed on it (given that the similar dark Tim Burton production of Dark Shadows failed), but it had some great potential to be a dark comedy drama.

by Anonymousreply 3711/01/2012

I liked it, certainly better than Nashville, Revolution, and the other shit that debuted as hour long dramas. It's better than Grimm, easily.

I think the tone and acting would firm up. Portia de Rossi and O'Connell weren't quite getting it, but I liked the kid and Eddie. The girl was okay.

It had very good numbers and it's possible it will have more scripts ordered.

by Anonymousreply 3811/01/2012

It had a lot of great elements however I couldn't get over the fact they all looked human instead of monsters.

by Anonymousreply 3911/01/2012

[quote] Speaking of Izzard, was he wearing old-age makeup or does he really look that bad?

Izzard is a health fanatic now. So yes, it's makeup.

by Anonymousreply 4011/01/2012

this was the worst tv show I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 4111/01/2012

"The Munsters was a one of a kind, once in a lifetime phenomenon and cannot be repeated"

Oh, please. It was lame, mildly funny tv sitcom that was a rip-off of the Adams Family. "A one of a kind, once in a lifetime phenomenon?" Either you're kidding or incredibly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4211/01/2012

Okay, Grandpa disemboweled someone, and we saw it, and it was cute clean cut CJ? And this was supposed to be good goofy fun?

by Anonymousreply 4311/01/2012

I don't believe so r43. Fuller has said before that this was not a straight out remake (aka goofy fun), this was going to be more along the lines of what he usually does; drama-comedy.

by Anonymousreply 4411/01/2012

I basically enjoyed the show. Loved seeing how the Munsters was reimagined for the 21st Century. And the special effects were fantastic.

That said, all throughout that hour, I kept wondering how they could sustain this as a series. What kind of plots could they come up with regularly? Would Herman get a new heart every episode? Would Grandpa have to drink blood each episode?

Also, the hour did drag on. Not a good sign for a pilot.

Eddie Izzard seemed to be the only one totally into his character. Loved his Grandpa.

Portia seemed miscast. And Jerry O'Connell, well, he just didn't feel like Herman Munster to me. Part of that was because he was shorter than Eddie Izzard. Part of the Frankenstein mythos is that the monster is taller than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 4511/01/2012

Only one death took place and it was an accident. They made sure to feature the entire scout troop huddled together alive in the SUV the next morning.

Jerry O'Connell as Herman ruins half the potential gags. In the original, his Humongous size and odd shape play against his cheerful demeanor. Also, the original Herman is a gullible simpleton while this Herman seems to be in on the joke.

If it were to go forward, I'd want to see Herman change heads and feet to throw other actors into the mix. Think Grace Slick or Sinbad.

by Anonymousreply 4611/01/2012

Thanks r46. I watched part of it on the NBC site, and at first was a little surprised they showed a bunch of kids being attacked but then saw that they were all huddled in the van. Will have to watch the rest of it, but, and this is really weird, I thought Jerry O'Connell was kind of sexy in it, and I have never thought that he was anything but goofy. I know its not the scars but it must be that he finally played kind of a normal DILF next door who loves his wife and family so that was it. I guess an odd choice for Herman but since Herman was kind of semi retarded in the original I guess that was all they could do. Kind of nice to see a happily married couple on TV who still have great sex, even if one is vampire and one is made up of dead people!

by Anonymousreply 4711/01/2012

[quote]If it were to go forward, I'd want to see Herman change heads and feet to throw other actors into the mix. Think Grace Slick or Sinbad.

How about changing parts with a sassy black woman?

by Anonymousreply 4811/01/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!