Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NFL player starts controversy by tweeting a gay ‘joke’

US: NFL player starts controversy by tweeting a gay ‘joke’

by Joseph Patrick McCormick, 11 October 2012, 9:43pm

An NFL football player in the US has been the subject of heavy criticism, after tweeting a joke which was considered by many as homophobic.

Brandon Spikes, a linebacker for the New England Patriots, an NFL team based in greater Boston, sent a joke out to his followers on Twitter, Wednesday, offending some fans, and causing others to jump to his defence.

He tweeted: “I’m homophobic just like I’m arachnophobic.I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders but I’d still scream if I found one in my bathtub !”, The Boston Herald reported.

A debate quickly heated up between fans and followers, many of who Tweeted responses, some jumping to the defence of the football player, and others condemning him for what was deemed a homophobic joke.

He responded to a tweet from Twitter user, GridironRats, which said “really dude? Love you as a player, but kill the joke-telling,” with a message which simply read “Bite Me !!!”.

Some critics even went so far as to say that the linebacker should be suspended for the Tweet. User, Aldenmorris, said “Your homophobic jokes make me as a New England Patriots fan for most of my life ashamed. I hope the Patriots suspend you.”

A couple of hours after sending the original tweet, Mr Spikes tweeted in response to his critics, saying: “Lmao these guys are sensitive” followed by: ”PEOPLE !!!! It’s a joke … seriously a JOKE !!! Chill out”

Other NFL players have been more active in getting involved in debates such as that over equal marriage.

The latest in a series of his public defences of why equal marriage should become law saw Chris Kluwe, a player for the Minnesota Vikings, reference the bible.

The Baltimore Ravens’ Matt Birk is reiterated his opposition to equal marriage rights for same-sex couples in a new video for the Minnesota Catholic Conference.

Fellow Baltimore Ravens player, Brendon Ayanbadejo was also the subject of a controversy, when a state delegate wrote to his team asking them to discipline him for supporting equal marriage rights.

All of this comes just a month ahead of votes in four states on whether or not equal marriage should become law.

Voters in Washington, Maine and Maryland will be voting on marriage equality on November 6. At the same time, Minnesota voters will choose whether to make a constitutional amendment which would define marriage as only between one man and one woman

by Anonymousreply 2005/12/2014

I laughed

by Anonymousreply 110/12/2012

People need to relax a bit.

by Anonymousreply 210/12/2012

I agree with him that he's homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 310/12/2012

Linebacker Brandon Spikes is a douchebag. And to make matters worse, the so-called joke wasn't even funny. It was juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 410/12/2012

I wonder why no obvious rejoinder...I'm bigoted like I am arachnophobic, I'd scream too if I found a black guy in my house...

by Anonymousreply 510/12/2012

He'd scream if he finds a gay man in his tub? Gurrl has a few issues.

by Anonymousreply 610/12/2012

He needs a good spanking on his ample football player ass..............owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2012

IF YOU RUN AROUND IN TIGHTS, YOU CAN'T GO AROUND DISSING GAYS lol. I mean for real gurl? Look at yourself and your long hair too. Brandon Spikes is 1 of the biggest queens around in pro football.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2012

Wait -- that's the game where they pile atop each other and then twist each other's balls?

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2012

Oh, just a dumb joke by a professional athlete. They are not smart. Just forget it, there are 10 bizillion other tweets out there.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2012

On Sunday, Bradshaw was discussing highlights of the first half of the Miami Dolphins-Indianapolis Colts game with fellow Fox studio analysts Howie Long, Michael Strahan and Jimmy Johnson. During a clip that showed Miami's Reggie Bush making an impressive 18-yard touchdown run, Bradshaw said: "Look at this, Jimmy -- like he was chasing that bucket of chicken that the wind was blowing the other day."

by Anonymousreply 1211/06/2012

Oh so what? Get over it.

I suppose you all are going to be mad when I point out they don't have ice in Poland, because the guy who made it died and didn't write down the recipe.

Or the fact that time goes by so fast in Italy because every time you turn around, another day goes by.

by Anonymousreply 1311/06/2012

ay! I dinna get dat.

by Anonymousreply 1411/06/2012

I don't want just ANY homo in my bath though.............

by Anonymousreply 1511/06/2012

What has four legs and yells "ho' dee doh" "ho dee doh "

Two blacks running for an elevator

by Anonymousreply 1611/06/2012

Why did Hitler kill himself?

The Jews sent him the gas bill

by Anonymousreply 1711/06/2012

My Scottish cousin dated a woman so beautiful that when he took her out in a taxi, he couldn't keep his eye on the meter.

by Anonymousreply 1811/06/2012

R18, was that a joke?

Does that mean Scot cabbies gouge people?

by Anonymousreply 1911/06/2012

Would they call the white boyfriend a mud dog or mud shark?

by Anonymousreply 2005/12/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!