Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should I Call Out My Sister-in-Law on Inappropriate B-Day Card?

For the second year in a row now my sister-in-law gave me a birthday card with a half-naked male on it. I'm no prude, but she also commented how she couldn't allow my 4-year-old nephew to sign his own name due to the nature of the card. Could she not just purchase a regular 'uncle' birthday card like she does for her own brother? Am I making too much of this? Should I say something or just let it go? To make it worse, this year's card had something like "I was going to get you designer shoes..." on it--as if I am Sarah Jessica Parker or something. Not ashamed of being gay--just hate being treated like a woman! BTW I threw it away in my recycle bin as soon as I opened it.

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2012

It's her way of showing she's openminded. And totally clueless.

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2012

She meant a nice pair of Allen Edmonds

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2012

I'd say something, personally (but say it *delicately*, unless you want to risk creating friction in the future). OTOH your declaration of throwing the card away immediately -- into the recycle bin, no less -- is very much a "MARY!" statement, so maybe you should just embrace your inner femme and go with it.

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2012

She seems well-meaning and loving but clueless. If I were in your place, I'd gently poke fun at her attempts to connect over a glass of wine. Try to see it as amusing and not insulting but set her straight.

by Anonymousreply 410/11/2012

She's trying to say she wants to be your hag.

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2012

Tell her, but don't go all Flouncing High Dudgeon about it - keep it light.

e.g. "With the Internet there's no shortage of shirtless men pics if ever i want that. Would mean more to have a card from (Nephew) and you. But thanks for remembering me! Hugs"

Something like that.

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2012

Please don't. You got a birthday card from an IN-LAW!! Nobody gets inlaw birthday cards. It was a kind (although somewhat lame) gesture. Accept the kindness and ignore the lameness.

by Anonymousreply 710/11/2012

I'd say, "Thanks for thinking of me, but I'd much rather have a card that Nephew signed instead of something vulgar." I would have said it without hesitation as soon as she made the comment about not letting him sign it.

by Anonymousreply 810/11/2012

A four year old could care less about a half naked person on a card.

by Anonymousreply 910/11/2012

Yeah, my sister-in-law used to send me Playgirls. It was her way of letting me know she thought I was a cool gay guy. I didn't take offense.

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2012

[quote]Please don't. You got a birthday card from an IN-LAW!! Nobody gets inlaw birthday cards.

Oh, please. I get birthday cards from my sister-in-law every year! (Never half-nude ones, thankfully.) I even get cards from my *former* stepmother. I guess your family doesn't emphasize manners...

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2012

OP, lighten up!

In return, just send her a birthday card with a big fat half naked man on it.

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2012

[quote] BTW I threw it away in my recycle bin as soon as I opened it.

I love how you're offended, yet still environmentally conscious, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2012

I understand your anger, op. When I get cards like that, I seethe. Do they think all gay men watch Sex in the City and live for designer clothes. I sure as fuck don't. I know the giver is trying to show that she's accepting and all that, but is clueless. I speak up. Always. I try to tell them that I appreciate the open mindedness, not all men fit in to the stereotype of what she thinks a gay man is. I'm pretty awful about this; whenever someone infurs that I'm less than a man or that I must like what all gay men like, I set them straight. it's not always comfortable, but I'm not going to let an antiquated view go unchallenged.

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2012

R14 is "straight acting/appearing."

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2012

Accept the card graciously. Not everything is a reason to be offended.

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2012

[quote] I set them straight

Your internal dialogue is heteronormative. You should be setting them free.

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2012

You are the only excuse your hag has for shopping the naughty section.

If you ask for home-made cards, you'll be expected to keep them on your refrigerator for life.

"Bless your heart" is the best response.

by Anonymousreply 1810/11/2012

You don't want to be treated like a woman, OP?

Neither do I.

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2012

OP, Understand many in this world are still really clueless about anyone different, whether that person is of another religion, race, or sex. For example if you said you were an atheist, would you immediately throw out a Christmas card she sent? Better to politely explain your views, or take her kind gesture as how it was intended. Perhaps one day you could have a heart-to-heart and honestly answer all of her questions that I'm sure she has about your lifestyle. Again if you were an atheist, if she is not, wouldn't she have plenty of nosy issues she'd like clarified so that you can be closer? At least she's trying in her own naive way to show acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2012

r14 is often seen "infurs"

by Anonymousreply 2110/12/2012

[quote]To make it worse, this year's card had something like "I was going to get you designer shoes..." on it--as if I am Sarah Jessica Parker or something.

That's your only legitimate complaint.

by Anonymousreply 2210/12/2012

[quote]To make it worse, this year's card had something like "I was going to get you designer shoes..." on it--as if I am Sarah Jessica Parker or something

Couldn't find anything in your hoof size?

by Anonymousreply 2310/12/2012

B-Days are so much cleaner and more civilized than toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 2410/12/2012

You are the Maryest Mary who ever Maryed in the kingdom of Maryland. Jesus Mary Christ.

by Anonymousreply 2510/12/2012

Hell yes. Fuck that bitch. She is grown and should know better. We take enough from them.

by Anonymousreply 2610/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.