Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The new show, "The Neighbors"...

got terrible reviews but I am laughing tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1011/17/2012

Thanks OP. Maybe I'll check it out again.

I only saw the preview episode and I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it enough to add it to my DVR list either.

I like the woman that plays the main alien mother - I'd never seen that actress before.

by Anonymousreply 110/11/2012

I had a bad cold and watched the two first episodes on demand, then saw tonight's show. I think it is silly fun; they don't take the concept seriously and it seems as though the actors are having a good time. There's nothing sophisticated or really witty, but every episode so far has some surprising double entendres in it, and the clownish energy of the cast is infectious (to me). I think even the kids are very funny; the alien mother has a real knack for comic send ups (she was a 'housewife of New Jersey' tonight, hilarious, actually, the second episode had a very funny, very fast scene where she played with various accents in case the English accent they've all chosen were a mistake). I thought the alien family wandering through the mall in shock in episode two was also very funny. There is some obviousness in every episode and a style of sit com writing I don't like is the little moral point that is made briefly in every episode so far, usually toward the end. I can't get through Patners, and I find the New Normal unbearably pretentious, self conscious and unbelievable, though it's trying hard (apparently) to mirror a 'reality'. The Neighbors has nothing whatever to do with reality and has an uneven but real sense of fun to it (for me, again). Third Rock from the Sun was wittier and genuinely more off beat, at least in its first season or so. But The Neighbors is far from the worst I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 210/11/2012

its just ok not bad :)

by Anonymousreply 310/11/2012

I decided to watch it for awhile last night. It's really bad if you as me. Overly cutesy and the writing is lazy. Because it has a far-out premise they think the show doesn't have play by any rules at all. That's not the way it works, it's ok for the premise to be completely unbelievable, but if everything is illogical it comes off as lazy and dumb. For instance, the nerdy child wants to stop another kid from being bullied in the bathroom, so he transforms into his true alien self, a green slimy monster, to scare the bullies. Immediately cut to the parents being brought in to talk to the principal. It makes no sense, the kid wouldn't have just gotten in trouble, he had exposed himself as an alien. There's no way it was just a costume, the transformation was instantaneous. So they don't even bother to show what the immediate aftermath was, such as the 3 witnesses telling the teacher the kid had turned into a green monster. Sure the teachers would think it was a costume, but they'd want to see the costume.

It's just dumb, and most of the "jokes" are as flat as a pancake. I'll enjoy seeing it cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 410/18/2012

the principal was played by the actress who played Roseanne's obnoxious yuppie neighbor, Cathy I think was the name.

by Anonymousreply 510/18/2012

I know I posted in this thread but now it's missing. Plus r2 and r4 seem to be posts from a different thread.

Anyway, although I and the critics hate this show, it's become a surprise modest hit. It's got a good chance of getting a second season.

by Anonymousreply 610/28/2012

I can't believe that this whack show is outliving both Last Resort and the highly promoted 666 Park Avenue.

Even though I don't hate this one, I was sure it was going to be the first to get the axe.

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

He's a hot hairy daddy

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

The premise sounded ridiculous and cringeworthy, but I actually was surprised that's it's pretty funny at times. The casting certainly helps, and I find myself laughing out loud every time a new character pops up with a different sports star name.

by Anonymousreply 911/17/2012

Now my first post is back, and the 2 from another thread are gone. Strange glitch.

by Anonymousreply 1011/17/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!