Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Etiquette Queens please respond.

Quick summary -

Acquaintance (bordering on friend-ish) invites me to a vernissage at his gallery. I go, the place gallery is packed, I see his partner and make small talk for about 30 seconds before someone else jumps in and takes over the conversation. I look at the art quickly, it's all a little tedious, I leave after 10 minutes and never acknowledge the the acquaintance who invited me. I kind of don't care, but I feel a little bit rude. Should I?

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2012

Oh, the acquaintance (gallery owner) was surrounded with people while I was there. Was I supposed to break in?

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2012

Don't worry about it

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2012

You lost me at vernissage.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2012

If it were possible to ignore the inane and punctuationally challenged R2 while at the same time incorporating something (mildly) of the spirit of its post, I'd suggest doing so.

Drop the "feeling" talk and asking if you should "feel rude." That has nothing to do with etiquette.

Properly, of course you would have waited to at least greet your acquaintance briefly and say something pleasant about his work. Since you didn't, you now need to drop him a short note thanking him for the invitation, mentioning that you enjoyed speaking to his partner, and saying something pleasant about his work.

That's what you need to do. Please do it.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2012

OP, I'd wager that you served your purpose by helping the gallery fill up with a crowd. Next time you see the acquaintance, comment on a piece that stood out to you and say you were going to talk to acknowledge him that night, but he was surrounded.

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2012

Punctuationally r4 ? Punctuationally? Really r4? Really? Punctuationally?

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2012

R6, when one is comfortable with the language he has mastered, he may play with it in overt ways for purposes of humor and pointedness. He also may use word forms about which uneducated people or dull people are unfamiliar.

Also, if you had done something more than puzzle your obviously limited grasp of the English language, you could have, for example, Googled the word and found 13,900 hits for it. I regret that I was not quite as create as I thought.

Twit.

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2012

R4, I think I love you.

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2012

R2 missed a period. I can't imagine she's particularly worried about being " punctuationally challenged."

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2012

A silly gallery owner invited a silly friend for a silly preview. He invited lots of silly people. Silly people went.

Mission accomplished on both sides.

by Anonymousreply 1010/11/2012

That wasn't you that let that attrocious fart, was it OP?

by Anonymousreply 1110/11/2012

Boxed wine, right?

by Anonymousreply 1210/11/2012

[quote]I regret that I was not quite as create as I thought.

If using a verb in place of an adjective is some sort of wit, I must confess I have completely missed the joke.

by Anonymousreply 1310/11/2012

Is your name Chantal?

by Anonymousreply 1410/11/2012

At least I have the decency to admit a typo. Big deal, wads o' fun.

Anyway. OP - do write that letter. And have fun both with etiquette and with English. And try - try - to have fun here. The cunts are swarming with their little minds and big mouths.

by Anonymousreply 1510/11/2012

OP, why are you making fun of someone else for using the word "punctuationally" when you yourself also used nonsense terms in your original post such as "place gallery" and "friend-ish"?

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2012

Cozened into attended a tedious vernissage? Please. These people would be dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2012

Americans are dumb.

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.