Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Doesn't Dorothy Die After The Hour Glass Runs Out?

They get her out of the room and that breaks the spell?

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 4402/08/2015

...because it was all just a dream?

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 110/10/2012

It's not a spell. The witch is going to come back to kill her in an hour, and so she turns to hourglass over to let Dorothy know how long she has left. But they save her just before the sands run out.

Unfortunately, the witch is on her way back to the room to kill Dorothy, so she catches them all in the hall beneath the room. But then they escape thanks to the Scarecrow, only to be caught again in the turret tower of the castle's parapet.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 210/10/2012

Great question.

How was that going to work?

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 310/10/2012

[quote]The witch is going to come back to kill her in an hour

Did she have dry-cleaning to pick up? She had to put money in the meter?

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 510/10/2012

I think she was going to LensCrafters.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 610/10/2012

She did die, OP. That's why she "woke up" in Kansas.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 710/10/2012

Margaret Hamilton truly committed to that line; it scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

I cried and cried when I saw this movie.

No kid under 8 or 9 should ever see it.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 810/10/2012

I honestly thought this would be another Golden Girls thread.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 910/10/2012

The witch says, "These things must be done delicately, or you hurt the spell." Remember, she just got zapped for trying to snatch the shoes off by force.

I guess that's meant to explain why she doesn't just bludgeon Dorothy then and there.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 1010/10/2012

I always thought the hour glass was a bomb. The Witch hurls it at the group and it explodes!

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 1110/10/2012

I posted this clip to a Mister Rogers thread recently, but think it's also relevant here. Hear Margaret Hamilton put a positive spin on the Witch character:

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 1210/10/2012

"Girls AND Boys like playing witches!"

Mister Rogers was tapping into the gay set there.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 1310/10/2012

I'm gonna GET what I WANT!

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 1510/11/2012

r10

Seeing as Dorothy knew that the witch got shocked by the shoes, why didn't she just extend one foot and hop at the witch continually shocking her into submission?

Was Dorothy retarded?

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 1602/05/2015

Dorothy was high and not thinking.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 1702/05/2015

Everything Wrong With The Wizard Of Oz

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 1802/05/2015

Why didn't Dorothy just turn the hourglass over and buy more time?

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 1902/05/2015

I liked how Dorothy was so happy toto survived even though she wAs going to die.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2002/05/2015

i always thought the biggest question and biggest "HUH" was "why did she have a bucket of water just laying around when it could melt and destroy her" i mean it wasn't like anyone was watering any trees or plants around high up in the castle nor anyone mopping the floors! lol!

very "convenient" story prop....

and that whole "you always had the power to get back! why didn't you tell her said the scarecrow 'because she wouldn't have believed me!" says glenda the good witch of the north...

DID YOU TRY? NOPE! you made her go thru all this crap! sounds like glenda was kind of masochistic if you ask me! laugh!

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2102/05/2015

Thank you [R16], that image just made me lol on the bus. TWoO is one of my favourite movies and I will never be able to watch that scene again without picturing Dorothy hopping murderously toward the witch.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2202/05/2015

I still want to know why the Tinman unfurls the rope pretending he's not doing anything allowing the wizard's balloon to go up more quickly.

What a 4 star piece of shit.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2302/05/2015

[quote]why did she have a bucket of water just laying around when it could melt and destroy her"

Nonsense, how many people have fireplaces? Fire destroys things. The witch may have had issues with water but her guards and monkeys could have been at risk and needed to be put out should they caught on fire.

It was Dorothy that murdered two people in Oz.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2402/05/2015

Because it was all a dream, she used to read word up magazine

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2502/05/2015

Dorothy, a young girl, was frozen in fear. All she could do was crumple to the floor and weakly call out for Auntie Em.

She's trapped by a terrifying witch who she knows wants to and can kill her and you think she's suddenly going to have the wherewithall to go all ninja to kick her way out?? Only on DL...

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2602/05/2015

Because it won't turn over, R19. It won't turn over!!!

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2702/05/2015

After the make-over in Oz, her hair keeps changing lengths, magically.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2802/05/2015

There is a book that was published years ago -- and is probably still available on Amazon -- that contains the final script that was used for the movie. But, it also provides a somewhat detailed description of all the changes that went on with the script up until the final version. There were plot twists and turns that never made it close to what was filmed. The thing went through so many cuts and rewrites that it's a wonder it is coherent at all. If you read that book you can almost forgive the movie's inconsistencies -- like cutting out the Jitterbug number but leaving in the Witch's reference to having "sent a little insect on ahead to take the fight out of them." Or her waving around the Golden Cap to summon the Winged Monkeys without any explanation as to what it was (it's from the book).

If I recall, the bucket of water was from the book as well, and was just sitting around to be used to wash the floor. In the movie, the bucket is not on the floor, right?

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 2902/05/2015

LMAO R26.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3002/07/2015

R29.

I mean, this is a Kansas orphan who runs away from home; consorts with a talking scarecrow, a metal man and a lion; plays with dwarf hordes; gets high in public off opium; and leads the way to an evil witch's castle to steal her broom.

And she's Judy Fucking Garland. She saw worse things than the Wicked Witch of the West that morning in her toilet.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3102/07/2015

The whole month vie was a metaphor for getting high. L. Frank Baum was a big junkie.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3202/07/2015

TV Guide Plot Summary:

A young woman gets transported to a bizarre landscape and kills the first person she meets. She then teams up with three strangers to kill again.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3302/07/2015

[quote]I still want to know why the Tinman unfurls the rope pretending he's not doing anything allowing the wizard's balloon to go up more quickly.

Because the Wizard gave him a gay heart and after that, there was no way the Tin Man was letting him take off with Judy Garland.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3402/07/2015

I wonder if the Witch munched on that young Kansas muff while she had her in captivity?

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3502/07/2015

Yikes, this thread is getting scaaaaaary.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3602/07/2015

OP, because that would have made an odd movie ending,

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3702/07/2015

"why didn't she just extend one foot and hop at the witch continually shocking her into submission?"

Originally, it was written that way. By this point in the filming, however, they had trouble keeping Garland upright on both feet. She's practically dragged down the yellow brick road in a few shots.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3802/07/2015

The hour glass was just a scare tactic. The Witch of the West was more wicked than powerful or even competent.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 3902/08/2015

r26

Bull, she could've curled up in the fetal position and just use her feet and the shoes to keep the witch at bay.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 4002/08/2015

Here's the cut scene from the Wizard of Oz, later reused in another movie, about how hard witches have it.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 4102/08/2015

I used to wait for that old man's voice to say "like sands through the hourglass..."

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 4202/08/2015

Cut scene from

r41

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 4302/08/2015

Laughing, r43.

by Wicked Bitch of the Westreply 4402/08/2015
Need more help? Click Here.