Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

And the Oscar goes to Anthony Hopkins?

Check out the trailer for Hitchcock.

by Anonymousreply 5310/24/2012

with ads by Sinex.

He sounds like he's got cork up his nostrils.

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2012

Helen Mirren seems to be in good form once again as well.

by Anonymousreply 210/20/2012

The Toby Jones version has gotten terrible reviews. Hopkins will triumph.

by Anonymousreply 310/20/2012

We've already discussed this.

Hopkins speaks too fast to sound like Hitchcock; it's Hannibal Lecter on speed.

Mirren sounds too "now" and post-modern to be credible as a woman of the 1950s. She's also peeking through her performance.

Johansson as Janet Leigh has got be a joke.

At least James D'Arcy looks like A. Perkins, the one saving grace of this boring mess.

Hollywood needs to stop making movies about Hollywood. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 410/20/2012

Poor Toby; second rate Capote and now a second rate Hitchcock.

by Anonymousreply 510/20/2012

I'm so uninterested in these Hitchcock movies.

by Anonymousreply 610/20/2012

R5: Based on the ads it looks like Toby Jones's Hitchcock is the same as his second-rate Capote.

by Anonymousreply 710/20/2012

I was going to say Hopkins sort of trashed his career by making so many crap movies. Then I realize they would still nominate Al Pacino or Robert DeNiro for the right role, and THOSE TWO have been stinking up the multiplex for the past decade at least.

by Anonymousreply 810/20/2012

[quote]She's also peeking through her performance.

Can anyone explain what is meant by this?

by Anonymousreply 910/20/2012

[quote]She's also peeking through her performance.

r9 - It's the would-be film critics new version of "Her acting is mannered."

by Anonymousreply 1010/20/2012

Actually Best Actor should be Richard Gere in "Arbitrage" but I don't know if a film that's available on PPV same day as theaters qualifies.

by Anonymousreply 1110/20/2012

[quote]I'm so uninterested in these Hitchcock movies.

There's others?

by Anonymousreply 1210/20/2012

It would be nice if Hollywood could come up with something other than these self-congratulatory epics.

Hitchcock's life isn't that interesting. It's his work that was engaging.

by Anonymousreply 1310/20/2012

I'm watching 'The Girl" right now. Toby J is doing a great job.

by Anonymousreply 1410/20/2012

I found Toby Jones a first rate Capote - much more true to the spirit of the man, r5.

by Anonymousreply 1510/20/2012

There goes the Streep Lunatic again, making definitive statements based solely on seeing a trailer.

More proof that it is one of the biggest, most obnoxious idiots to ever befoul DL.

by Anonymousreply 1610/20/2012

I thought Toby Jones made a more convincing Capote and I loved his performance. I think he's doing the best he can in The Girl. It can't be easy playing an icon this flawed. Who knew Hitchcock was even creepier than his films?

by Anonymousreply 1710/20/2012

I like Toby JOnes as Hitch but everything else about The Girl is just dreadful. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 1810/20/2012

You know, if he's good he's got a shot. They're not going to give Day-Lewis another one yet and Phoenix basically told people not to even nominate him. Its been 20 years since he won for SOTL, so he's positioned like M was last year.

by Anonymousreply 1910/20/2012

[quote]I like Toby JOnes as Hitch but everything else about The Girl is just dreadful. What a mess.

Agree. It was sloppy film making. You could tell it was shot in UK. The building used for the studio look nothing like any studio in Hollywood. And I don't know if anyone else noticed but when the camera was moving slowly into the bathroom while she was taking a shower, you could see the toilet and sink were UK styles not US.

by Anonymousreply 2010/20/2012

Wow. I give the old girl all the credit in the world but Mirren is WAAAAY too old to be playing a cool Hitchcock blond.

by Anonymousreply 2110/20/2012

C'mon boys. You know exactly what r4 meant regarding Helen Mirren's performance. Here's Helen Mirren "acting". Based on that trailer, I would have great difficulty suspending my disbelief for any of their performances. I'm sure Scarlett will be nominated for a Golden Globe. Based soley on her Golden Orbs. The silliest reason to cast an actress. Ever. Anthony Hopkins looks more like Billy Crystal than Alfred Hitchcock. Total crapfest.

by Anonymousreply 2210/20/2012

Or was it filmed in South Africa? There was something about South Africa in the very final credits though perhaps it was just made in the UK with South African money?

The secondary roles of the assistant director, the wardrobe girl and the nanny (or was she just Tippi's best friend?) were written particularly poorly.

And poor Imelda Staunton was left to just phone in her non-existent role.

by Anonymousreply 2310/20/2012

Mirren is playing Hitchcock's long suffering wife; Scarlett Johansen is playing Janet Leigh, which is appropriate because they're both talent free lightweights.

by Anonymousreply 2410/20/2012

I didn't know Streep Loon knew the Hitchcocks so intimately.

South Africa is popular for lower budget stuff because there are no unions for film.

by Anonymousreply 2510/20/2012

He's the same guy in every movie. An urbane Brit with killer tendencies.

'Sides, Joaguin is gonna win it.

by Anonymousreply 2610/20/2012

Clicked to soon. I can't wait to see his acceptance speech

by Anonymousreply 2710/20/2012

I think John Hawkes will take the Oscar for "The Sessions." Highly admired character actor + disability role + shows range = OSCAR

by Anonymousreply 2810/21/2012

I liked the photography and the rich colors in The Girl and thought Toby did well. What's her face was weak in my opinion.

Did Hitch call his assistant a back end of a bus? And why did his wife put up with him? He was so gross to me.

There was a director who despised him too. Was it Premminger?

by Anonymousreply 2910/21/2012

I can't believe Vera Miles never got a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 3010/21/2012

Thanks for the support, r22.

It's more than obvious what "peeking through her performance" means. Mirren is not disappearing into the role, but is aware of her own acting and "tricks" - and broadcasts that awareness to the audience, as part of the performance.

Unlike Streep, who uses her tricks to really disappear into the role. (As a side note).

The trailer is all kinds of dreadful, and Hopkins and Mirren club you over the head with their stereotypical performances.

Let's hope the best actor race will be between John Hawkes and Joaquin Phoenix.

by Anonymousreply 3110/21/2012

r19, the difference is Streep gave a great performance, and Hopkins' is a joke.

Also, Streep had amassed countless nominations, and has largely stayed out of offensive movies (Mamma Mia being the one exception).

Hopkins has sullied his filmography with heinous films and lazy performances. No way is he "positioned" like M was last year.

by Anonymousreply 3210/21/2012

One final thought, re r22:

Mirren gave the same "actorly", unrealistic performance in the Last Station, and sadly was nominated for it.

I hope the Academy won't make the same mistake twice.

by Anonymousreply 3310/21/2012

Shocking how vengeful men become when they are sexually rejected by a woman. Hell hath no fury like a scorned man. Even more shocking is that a gargoyle like Hitchcock would think young slender blondes would be into fucking him. Men are just insane.

by Anonymousreply 3410/21/2012

So you've seen the whole film, Streep Loon?

by Anonymousreply 3510/21/2012

Wow, it looks great. Shall we say that Toby Jones has the worst timing in the history of acting?

by Anonymousreply 3610/21/2012

There's no way anyone's walking away with the Oscar this year besides Hugh Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 3710/21/2012

"And poor Imelda Staunton was left to just phone in her non-existent role."

I thought she did great with what she was given. Toby Jones, too. Sienna Miller was just bland.

"Even more shocking is that a gargoyle like Hitchcock would think young slender blondes would be into fucking him."

A lot of women will fuck any guy who has money and power, regardless of how unattractive he is. Just ask Harvey Weinstein...

by Anonymousreply 3810/21/2012

I thought Toby Jones did a fine job as Hitchcock when you consider the fact that he had nothing to work with in terms of a script or fellow actors.

Of course, I liked his Capote, too.

by Anonymousreply 3910/21/2012

Best Actor is going to Hugh Jackman.

Remember, the Oscars are illogical.

Les Mis looks poised to actually do a musical in such a way that it seems more movie than musical and everybody likes Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 4010/21/2012

Don't know why there's so much hate for "The Girl". It wasn't great but it was well done, interesting and next to "Hemingway and Gellhorn" it's Persona, Citizen Kane and Rear Window rolled into one.

by Anonymousreply 4110/21/2012

Persona is my favorite movie of all time.

by Anonymousreply 4210/21/2012

"Even more shocking is that a gargoyle like Hitchcock would think young slender blondes would be into fucking him. Men are just insane."

To be fair to him, Hollywood is the one place on Earth an old troll can get hot young blondes, provided he's able to help her career. But if we accept Hedren's version of the story, Hitch had no clue how to play the game. Most trolls have the sense to be clear about what they want and seal the deal before the contracts are signed, while Hitch established a platonic working relationship before making a move. More fool he.

But I thought the Datalounge had decided that Hitch was deeply closeted.

by Anonymousreply 4310/21/2012

No, Streep Loon hasn't seen the whole film. No one has, there have been no screenings of HITCHCOCK so far. It's just judging the film based on the trailer. It has no other frame of reference.

THE GIRL was truly dreadful (and yes, filmed in South Africa - all the minor supporting actors - the whole dreadful bunch of thm - were South Africans)

Jones and (surprisingly) Staunton were terrible, but they can't really be faulted for not being able to rise above a lousy screenplay and even worse direction. Miller was terrible, too, but I don't think anyone had high expectations for her.

by Anonymousreply 4410/22/2012

There was no story to base The Girl on other than: Hitch obsesses over Tippi. Tippi rebuffs Hitch (and ducks birds).

But I would think there's even less story to the making of Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 4510/22/2012

I can see John Hawkes winning. It is an Oscar bait role. He also passes the "non-jealousy rule", which states that all else being equal, insecure actors will vote for the person who inspires the least amount of jealousy. I read that somewhere once.

by Anonymousreply 4610/22/2012

[quote]Persona is my favorite movie of all time.

You asshole. Now I have to reconsider MY love for Persona.

by Anonymousreply 4710/22/2012

I don't think Toby was a second rate Capote at all...I thought he was great.

by Anonymousreply 4810/22/2012

I don't even like Anthony Hopkins.

by Anonymousreply 4910/22/2012

This will be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 5010/24/2012

No, the Oscar goes to John Hawks.

by Anonymousreply 5110/24/2012

Looking forward to Toby's Truman Capote, and have been wanting to see it ever since I read critics calling his Capote the best version. I did see "Capote" and felt that Hoffman is too big for the role. I missed the diminutive Truman Capote.

by Anonymousreply 5210/24/2012

Yeah, but will they even mention anything about these scenes that were taken from an unreleased Hitchcock film?

by Anonymousreply 5310/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!