Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

LGBT Job Fair

I am unemployed and I will be attending my first job fair next week at the LGBT Center in NY next week.

The confirmation letter mentions free workshops and panels; I just want to meet recruiters face-to-face and give them my resume for potential sales or relationship mgt positions. I do not have much luck with online applications.

I am 48 and unfortunately this is all a new experience for me. Has anyone ever attended one before? Thanks.

Thanks.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 1310/16/2012

anybody?

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 110/10/2012

These job fairs are a mixed bag - some people who attend don't really have any jobs or very few, so they just take your printed resume, which is no better than submitting an online application, really.

But there may be some good networking opportunities.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 210/10/2012

It can't hurt to go, OP.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 310/10/2012

I went to a job fair a few years ago. A few months later I had changed jobs, and now (a few years later) I work for the same employer and have progressed up. Job fairs can be a bland experience, but they can occasionally prove fruitful.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 410/10/2012

I wish this would spread nation wide. The community needs to stick together in these political and economic down times.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 510/11/2012

I like your post and I wish you great success. Perhaps you can post what type of job you are specifically looking for in the NYC area and we can offer some leads. I live in NYC and I feel like a job search expert, due to the fact that I was downsized 3 years ago.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 610/11/2012

The Gay community needs to start protecting its own.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 710/11/2012

It totally depends. I hope your experience is good. Some companies send interns to staff the table, others do send actual recruiters. Some are seeking only entry level jobs, other may consider you once you have met.

Work it to the best of your ability.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 810/11/2012

What the community really needs is a closed career referral network that does not involve going to Gay bars. The employer benefits too. Told they are hired as a support to the community, they feel a stronger, loyalty connection to the employer and should perform better on the job.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 910/11/2012

I went and while I do not know if I will get a job as a result of it; after endless applications sent online, to actually speak with a human being and have my resume critiqued by HR staff at major companies was so very satisfying.

The selection of clients was perhaps more limited than I would have liked, (not much opportunity for me at the FBI, MTA, NYPD, or Bureau of Corrections), however the LGBT Community Center did an incredible job with this event.

The panels were so very interesting and timely. The woman from SAGE was particularly enlightening.

One thing is for certain, as well all age it only gets harder to stay at our existing jobs and it remains very difficult to start anew. Even once I finally get a job, I plan on going back next year just to insure my employment-seeking skills remain sharp.

I just reduced my 2 page resume to one page, and I revised it in order to have the bullet points under each position I held to be more achievement-oriented than descriptive about my day-to-day activities.

Now all I need is an interview someplace.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 1010/15/2012

OP, Go and consider this a "practice session" to sharpen your interviewing and networking skills. You'll definitely get something out of it. It never hurts to make more human connections. Years ago, I was called in for a job at Disney from a two year old resume that was stuck in some recruiter's drawer. I took the job and had a great time there.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 1110/15/2012

Good luck to you OP. Hang in there.

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 1210/15/2012

Good Luck OP - you sound like a fair and honest person. Hope everything turns out for you!

by unemployed and trying not to be disheartenedreply 1310/16/2012
Need more help? Click Here.