Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mother Of Slain SEAL Tells Romney To Stop Talking About Her Son

[quote]After telling the story one last time in Ohio, the campaign says it will be removed from the stump speech.

Posted Oct 10, 2012 1:19pm EDT

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio — At a town hall here Wednesday, Mitt Romney re-told a story he first revealed earlier this week about meeting one of the Navy SEALs who would later be killed in the attacks on the Benghazi consulate.

Romney has used the account in recent days on the stump to demonstrate the courage of Americans, in particular the troops: Upon hearing that the consulate was under attack, Glenn Doherty, 42, headed toward the action to try to defend it.

It's a compelling story, offering a surprisingly personal link between the candidate and the tragedy in Libya — but it's one the SEAL's mother wants him to stop telling.

Wednesday morning, NBC's Boston affiliate reported that Doherty's mother thought Romney was taking advantage of her son's death.

"I don't trust Romney," Barbara Doherty told WHDH 7. "He shouldn't make my son's death part of his political agenda. It's wrong to use these brave young men, who wanted freedom for all, to degrade Obama."

The story posted on WHDH's website indicated that they had sought a response from the campaign, but didn't get one. Asked whether Romney would continue to tell the story, a campaign aide told BuzzFeed he would not, now that he knew the mother's wishes.

Kevin Madden added, "Governor Romney was inspired by the memory of meeting Glen Doherty and shared his story and that memory. We respect the wishes of Mrs. Doherty though."

[VIDEO of the despicable Romney at link:]

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012

Good for her! She's absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2012

Awesome mother. It would seem her son took after her.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2012

[quote]"I don't trust Romney," Barbara Doherty told WHDH 7. "He shouldn't make my son's death part of his political agenda. It's wrong to use these brave young men, who wanted freedom for all, to degrade Obama."

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2012

Yeah Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2012

I know you divorced and everything, but I think having Seal bumped off was a little extreme, even for a German, Heidi.

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2012

R6 = Ann Romney

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2012

He's their commander, r6, and O isn't using the stories to disparage Romney.

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2012

R6, since Mitt already USED the ambassador's death for political reasons, no one buys the shit he has to say about anything involving the situation in Libya. He's surrounded by neo con vermin looking for war, so kindly STFU.

We all know there is no depth to Romney.

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2012

R7: she can most certainly request that someone stop talking about her son on TV, cable, radio or any other type of public communication. She is free to support any politician she wants to. i would be very upset if someone was using my dead loved one's name for political purposes.

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012

Kudos to her

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2012

Wow,r7-her son died serving his country which is more than can be said for Mittens and his five worthless sons who are benefiting more than anyone from that sacrifice.

You and r6 should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2012

Typing lies for a living?

Not much of a job is it, R6/R7?

by Anonymousreply 1410/10/2012

R6 and r7 are your run of the mill republicant's. Rush Limpballs has infiltrated their narrow minds.

by Anonymousreply 1510/10/2012

Breathtaking assholery @ R16.

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2012

Mama pissed off the freepers and they just have to come to DL to let her know about it. Name 10 vastly wealthy families like the Rmoneys that have sons fighting in dubya's wars. Go ahead I'll wait....

by Anonymousreply 1810/10/2012

Our children don't fight wars or get messy. That is why we are hopeful in making the USA a complete slave state. The poor will be glad to fight our wars for us.

by Anonymousreply 1910/10/2012

[quote]It's not her story to control. If this man met Romney personally, and Romney has a story to tell about that meeting, that's HIS story, not hers.

I almost wish Romney and his band of merry idiots would ignore her wishes and air the ad anyway.

Can you imagine the uproar when the Obama campaign aired her rebuttal saying that Romney was using this story over her objection?

by Anonymousreply 2010/10/2012

SEARCH first!

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!