Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama Says He Was ‘Just Too Polite’ at Debate

Oct 10, 2012 10:28am

Conceding that he failed to deliver at last week’s debate, President Obama says he was “just too polite” and that voters should expect “a little more activity” next week in round two.

In a radio interview on the “Tom Joyner Morning Show,” Obama compared the presidential race to a seven-game basketball series in which he was ahead two-nothing and lost one game to Mitt Romney at the debate.

“You have a seven-game series, we’re up two zero and we lose one,” he explained. “You know, this is a long haul and I think that it’s very important for folks to make sure that they understand that as long as people stay focused, we will win this thing.”

“The good news is that’s just the first one,” the president said of last week’s debate. “Governor Romney put forward a whole bunch of stuff that either involved him running away from positions that he had taken or doubling down on things like Medicare vouchers that are going to hurt him long-term.

“Keep in mind, that the issues that are at stake for folks haven’t changed,” he continued. “We’ve got millions of people who’ve got health care now because of our health care bill and they won’t have it if Mitt Romney is elected president. You’ve got young people who are getting Pell grants and help on their student loans and they won’t have it if we don’t make sure that we win this election.”

“We’ve got four weeks left in the election and we’re going to take it to him,” Obama said.

The candidates face off again next Tuesday at the second presidential debate.

by Anonymousreply 3610/10/2012

I'll say this: At least we know it's bullshit that Dems and other supporters are apathetic. We want Obama to fight and take this motherfucker down.

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2012

He WAS too polite. I remember at one point, before he gave his answer, Obama said, "I know Mr Romney, that you care about education..."??? He was being polite, but WTF? Romney does not give two shits about education! Romney has so much you could hang him on - Obama better get him next time.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2012

He should know that Americans don't want polite. They want a bullying, loudmouthed asshole.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2012

We don't need Hamlet. We need Henry the 5th. Fight, Obama. Don't sit on your ass.

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2012

He choked. We all saw it. I was waiting for him to go in for the kill and eviscerate him but he just didn't. He better step up his game or we're all fucked.

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2012

He's still winning, R2, So I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2012

It's a sad commentary on our country when Obama's civility and honestly are considered weaknesses and Romney's lying ass is lauded.

Just disgusting

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2012

[quote] It's a sad commentary on our country when Obama's civility and honestly are considered weaknesses and Romney's lying ass is lauded.

This exactly.

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2012

What r8 said.

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2012

Agree with R8. What was frustrating was that when Romney changed the rules of the debate, Obama did not respond.

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012

Do you think he will kill him in the next debate?

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2012

Correction: Honesty, not honestly

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2012

LOL!!! What he gon do? Bust a cap in they ass nex time?

by Anonymousreply 1410/10/2012

People are acting like he stomped on puppies on live TV. It could have been something as simple as he didn't feel well. He's human but they are never going to say that as to make it appear The President Of The United States is weak.

by Anonymousreply 1510/10/2012

Such an angry black man!

by Anonymousreply 1610/10/2012

He wasn't too polite, he was too seemingly indifferent...and stammering.

He doesn't have to be impolite, just quick and direct with an ability to deliver an answer that exhibits conviction and knowledge.

Ask an expert on anything about the subject of their expertise and the words flow forth effortlessly and convey a deep understanding and appreciation of the subject; they don't have to be polite (or impolite) or posture, the expert just has to open his mouth and let his expertise do the work. Obama seemed indifferent, off guard, unsure, as though he'd rather have been anywhere else doing anything else.

Obama can give a fine speech or informal presentation, but not always, not even all that often. Too many times he's stammering and seemingly distracted, and the first debate he was both in the extreme. Had he appeared even half engaged, half interested, or half confident, the outcome would have been entirely in his favor; he doesn't have to come out fighting or do anything clever to achieve that - he just needs to be "in the moment."

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2012

There is no whining and crying in politics

by Anonymousreply 1810/10/2012

Eh.. that was half of it. The other half, and Obama probably knows it: politeness aside, Obama came across unusually listless and disengaged. He looked down at his notes a lot, where Romney looked directly across at Obama and at the media cameras. Whether we like it or not, the presidential debates are partly about the actual questions/issues and partly about theatrical presentation of "presidential-ness." And we want the candidates to demonstrate that they hunger for the job, they actually want to win this thing. Obama didn't bring his best self to the debate. It was his weakest media appearance to date. Like most of us in here, I hope and pray he brings a stronger, more confident, more debate-ready President Obama to the next one.

by Anonymousreply 1910/10/2012

Excuse 20,237

by Anonymousreply 2010/10/2012

Well Obama better have the dates and the quotes ready if he is going to challenge Romeny's lies, otherwise it'll be "he said/he said" both of them calling liar.

I want Biden to get so rough with Ryan that he pisses ryan off and forces him to leave the stage. That spoiled little Frat boy needs a foot shoved up his ass. I want Biden to kick some serious ass, call him out, belittle him and rough him up.

I want Biden to draw blood. No one likes Ryan. Even the Repub;licans say he isn't polling well with voters. Too smug. So if Biden bloddies Ryan Joe will look heroic. If Ryan bloodies Biden Ryan will look like a bully, but Biden might look inept.

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012

I say: Obama, get your shit together!

by Anonymousreply 2210/10/2012

Maybe he had the flu, it is going around you know.

I wonder how the candidates don't catch every bug floating around when they must shke 5000 hands a day.

But they can never admit they are sick for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 2310/10/2012

I agree with R8 and also let me add that if he seemed tired, unlike Romney he still has a day job besides campaigning.

by Anonymousreply 2410/10/2012

It shouldn't be hard to smackdown a lying, unprincipled scumbag like Romney - Obama just has to prepare for anything the fucker will try to throw at hi and really speak forcefully about how damaging a Romney presidency will be for ordinary people.

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2012

Obama should throw everything back.

Truth is on his side, but some Americans don't care about the truth.

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2012

He needs to take a few notes from Clinton on how you can destroy your opponent in a happy, non-aggressive way by just sticking to the facts and going through the laundry list of Republican fuck ups and misguided ideas. And Clinton does it with a smile on his face.

by Anonymousreply 2710/10/2012

Exactly R27, I hope Team Obama is looking into that strategy.

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2012

Obama came across the way that I would want someone like him to come across, like a community leader. Romney came across like a lying shyster, not at all someone I would vote for.

by Anonymousreply 2910/10/2012

Be ironic as hell if this president loses for being not ENOUGH of a 6-letter word.

by Anonymousreply 3010/10/2012

R19/Torta: you touch on something I've been wondering about - does Obama WANT it enough. Perhaps, subconciously: not. Being president is a rough gig (oversimplifying here, but am sure everyone knows that I mean. Just looking at pix of almost every modern president: this office WAY ages them.)

R23: Dear God, one cannot use the flu, even if legit, for an excuse with these high stakes. You're verging close to the Nixon-lost-because-of-5'o clock-ahadow-in-debates-with-Kennedy, here (which is probably before your time? sorry; I'm old)

Pres's can get the flu; just can't let it - show. Not fair but way it is.

Finally, "style over substance" ofen, unfortunately, triumphs. Fingers crossed for Obama (hey, there's a slogan, perhaps.>??!)

by Anonymousreply 3110/10/2012

r21!!!! Whoooo!

by Anonymousreply 3310/10/2012

Does anyone doubt R32 makes almost no money and has family on the dole?

by Anonymousreply 3410/10/2012

No, R34. No one does.

by Anonymousreply 3510/10/2012

by Anonymousreply 3610/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!