Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How many hours do you naturally sleep per night?

I don't mean when you are exhausted or whatever, just what does your body require?

I find that all told, I average needing about 6 hours.

by Anonymousreply 4410/11/2012

Naturally with no alarm 8.5

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2012

I need 8 on a normal night to be alert and functional. I have been sick for the last 2.5 years and some days sleep over 18 hours and some days just get 20 minute cat naps.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2012

Nine hours.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2012

Used to be 8 hours. But now it's probably 6 to 7 hours.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2012

About 6 or 7. If I'm totally restless, which is pretty often, I'm lucky to get 3 or 4.

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2012

About 7 hours.

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2012

9, minus needing to get up to pee after about 4 hours without fail, then having to let the dogs out, then jacking off, then trying to get back to sleep

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2012

9.5, without an alarm, which is ridiculous. My bf wakes up exactly 6 hours after he goes to sleep, no matter what. I am so jealous.

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2012

8 hours

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012

10. I can get by with 8, but 9, no way.

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2012

R6, staring at a bright light (a TV screen) is not a good way to tell your body to fall into a healthy deep sleep. Try going to bed without the TV.

My greatest talent is sleeping. I can fall asleep anywhere (e.g., can immediately fall asleep on any plane trip) and always wake up refreshed. My body naturally seems to want 10 hours, but of course I rarely get that.

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2012

without Ambien, 3 - 4 hours, with Ambien, 8 -9 hrs. I have insomnia and wake up every couple of hours, totally awake, and sometimes it take an hour or longer to fall back asleep. I need 8-9 hours so I take Ambien. COuldn't care less if I am hooked, at least I get to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 1410/10/2012

never use alarm except when I have an early flight (although I generally wake up 5 mins before alarm).

by Anonymousreply 1510/10/2012

I am wracked with arthritis of the spine, left hip and cervical stenosis with nerve damage into my left arm and hand. I get a wake up call usually at two am and may get back to sleep at four. My day starts at six or seven.

This morning I have PT at seven and then therapy pool after that. Hopefully I can get a good six hours of work in today.

The alternative consists of fucking drugs. Vicodin with a bourbon chaser anyone?

Old age sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1610/11/2012

5-6, but it absolutely matters what time I have to wake up. I am always more rested if I wake up at 7am than if I wake up at 5am.

by Anonymousreply 1710/11/2012

It appears that the idea of a full night (8 hours uninterrupted) is a fairly new construct dating back to general use of the electric lightbulb. . . .prior to that humans seem to have slept for a few hours, woken up for an hour or so and then back to sleep for an hour or two. . . .generally known as a first and second sleep.

Googling "second sleep" will give you a more detailed thought on the topic than I can do in a few brief paragraphs.

by Anonymousreply 1810/11/2012

I go to bed at around 11:45 most nights, and wake up without an alarm at about 8, feeling reasonably refreshed.

by Anonymousreply 1910/11/2012

7.5-8 hours and I'm usually good

by Anonymousreply 2010/11/2012

Six usually, give or take one hour.

I've always liked to stay up late, and tend to go to bed only when I'm dead tired.

by Anonymousreply 2110/11/2012

Naturally, I wake up every 2 or 3 hours.

I think the longest stretch I have ever slept was 4 hours, and this is rare.

Like R6, it is likely related to PTSD from childhood (waking up to alcoholic dad raging when he came home drunk, or waking up from smoke-filled house when said dad would forget something on the stove).

I don't take sleep aids because they leave me very groggy in the morning and through the next day, and they don't even really work that well to get me to sleep.

Sleeping for 6-8 hours sounds like a dream (NPI) and I think you should all consider yourself very lucky.

by Anonymousreply 2210/11/2012

On vacation, I usually get around 7.5 hours a night and feel great. During the week, I am lucky if I get 6.5. I tend to "bank sleep" on the weekends, often getting 10 hours at night and nap or two.

by Anonymousreply 2310/11/2012

If I'm not exhausted from the day before and have not been in an irregular sleep pattern, then about 7 hours. Granted, I can sleep longer, but the last few hours would then be waking up, falling back asleep, etc.

So, on a healthy, regular schedule, about 7 hours, but such a schedule is pretty hard to keep sometimes and things get out of synch.

by Anonymousreply 2410/11/2012

7.5 is my usual. I do occasionally take 20-minute cat naps during the day.

by Anonymousreply 2510/11/2012

I'd like to get eight of hours of sleep, but I'm a night owl, so I end up getting five to six, sometimes seven on the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2610/11/2012

7, then a half hour of rolling around and waking up

by Anonymousreply 2710/11/2012

Studies show that people who get more than 8 hours of sleep per night have shorter life spans. It's actually bad for you to sleep too much. And too much sleep reflects a less active lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 2810/11/2012

The expression, OP, is "all tolled". As in, when all information is added/summed up.

by Anonymousreply 2910/11/2012

Going to sleep and waking up entirely on my own body clock: 9 hours.

How much do I usually get during the week? 6.

by Anonymousreply 3010/11/2012

[quote]My greatest talent is sleeping. I can fall asleep anywhere (e.g., can immediately fall asleep on any plane trip) and always wake up refreshed.

Bastard. My biggest *problem* is sleeping. I know I can forget about it 1) without Lunesta, 2) without earplugs in or 3) without *complete* darkness. I've had furious insomnia ever since I was a kid, to the extent that my greatest talent might be going *without* sleep. At one point I went a week without it. Seriously. (And I was reasonably coherent.)

Naps are not an option (haven't successfully done so since kindergarten). Neither is sleeping on an airplane unless I'm in business class and it's an overnight flight.

All that said, I normally sleep around eight hours a night, or more like 10-11 if I got zero sleep the night before.

by Anonymousreply 3110/11/2012

R29, stop.

by Anonymousreply 3210/11/2012

I feel best with 10 to 12 hours per night. 12 is best.

When I was working, I never had more than 6 hours per night, and often just 4 or 5 hours.

I often felt dead tired.

My immune system was not strong with such little sleep and I paid for it with frequent 3 week long bouts of severe sore throat and severe cough.

Now that I get 10 to 12 hours of sleep per night, my immune system is very strong. No severe sore throats. 2 days ago I woke up with a slight sore throat and beginnings of a cold, but fought it off after just one day.

I'm also not in contact with a lot of germs from masses of people commuting on a bus and at work.

by Anonymousreply 3310/11/2012

With insomnia for 25 years, I take amiltripytiline (sp) which induces sleep, Alteril which is a combination of valerian, trytophan, and melatonin, and often a small glass of wine.

by Anonymousreply 3410/11/2012

I try to get six or seven hours but I don't always manage that. I hate to go to bed but I have early classes this semester.

by Anonymousreply 3510/11/2012

R28, you are behind the times and antiquated in your information.

It is now recommended that people get a minimum of 8 or 9 hours per night - yes, 9 -.

And teenagers are recommended to get more than 9 hours - it is recommended they get 10 or 11 or 12.

I'm 64 and need 10 to 12 hours per night to feel well.

by Anonymousreply 3610/11/2012

R6, you need to get a prescription for Amitriptyline which you take an hour or two before bedtime. It is highly effective.

It is an old-fashioned anti-depression med that is frequently prescribed these days for chronic insomnia because it induces sleep.

You can take it for decades.

by Anonymousreply 3710/11/2012

R36, if you need 10-12 hours of sleep per night, then you're not a normal and healthy individual. You need to be checked by a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 3810/11/2012

R38, I have severe arthritis thruout much of the body.

10 or 12 hours per night is perfectly normal when one has little cartilege left in joints.

When you get to age 64, you'll see you won't be such a wise-ass with snap judgment and little knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 3910/11/2012

R39, then you should have stated that.

by Anonymousreply 4010/11/2012

Piss off R40.

I don't sleep much and you irritate me.

by Anonymousreply 4110/11/2012

I depends on if I beat-off or not before going to bed.

by Anonymousreply 4210/11/2012

[quote]Studies show that people who get more than 8 hours of sleep per night have shorter life spans.

...with no real information on cause and effect. People with poor health or some other circumstance may be both likely to have shorter lives and sleep longer.

by Anonymousreply 4310/11/2012

6.5 hours - 7 at most. I can't sleep more than that in a row anymore and it positively sucks. However, on vacation I can sleep 10 hours - so that only happens twice a year.

I have friends that can sleep for over 12 hours - I'm so unbelievably jealous.

by Anonymousreply 4410/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!