Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Namedropping: why do people do it?

I've got an old college friend who works in Hollywood now. You've almost certainly never heard of him (he's a fill-in writer for sitcoms), but whenever we talk and we have a conversation about movies or television or entertainment in general, he'll constantly interject after the name of every famous person, actor or director or show creator something like, "Oh, I've worked with him" or "We did XXX project together" or "I've met her." I wouldn't mind if he would then give some good gossip on the people, but he never does so. So I don't see what he gains by just constantly saying he knows them. I find it very off-putting, and wish I knew how to hint to him politely to knock it off (at least if he's not going to dish).

by Anonymousreply 4410/12/2012

Because they are enamoured with knowing famous people

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2012

That's so helpful, r1.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2012

Seriously, no one drops names (and in the most desperately "creative" and "strategic" ways) than people who already have major connections. Do not understand or want. So many entertainment people do it on Twitter; it seems I'm always unfollowing someone like that. Most of my Hollywood friends/relatives also spit names excessively or pompously.

But yeah, it's like a compounding cycle of: more self-importance=more desperation to gain more self-importance through one's acquaintances. It must be really fulfilling.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2012

Funny thing, Julia Roberts and I spoke about this same issue yesterday.

Oh, how Julia Roberts and I laughed!

What a dear friend Julia Roberts is to me.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2012

We're not impressed R4. We know Julia, and find her to be extremely cunty.

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2012

Those who can't teach. Scriptwriters are actor/singers etc wannabes that can't make it. So they fall back.

Even if you're the best at that, you're still not as good as the worst actor/singer so on.

It's like winning an American Music Award or an MTV award.

It's not a Grammy so it doesn't count.

And of the big four Grammy, Oscar, Tony, Emmy the only one that matters is a Grammy.

And of the Grammy awards, only Actor, Actress, and picture count. The rest are WGAS awards. "Who gives a shit>"

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2012

I don't think the skill for writing has anything to do with the ability to act.

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2012

I don't think the skill for writing has anything to do with (R6).

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2012

George Michael once tugged on my willie at Harrod's toilet

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2012

My friend--John Travolta--

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2012

OP, when the person namedrops and says "Oh, I worked with so-and-so" do you follow up with "what's he like?" or "have any good gossip?" The art of conversation entails drawing the subject out.

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012

How ELSE would you know how important and famous I am?

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2012

My friends mother refers to them all as "my dear friend."

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2012

Namedropping is the designer labelling of social life. Unless the name-drop links to the conversation, it's quite sad.

Dominick Dunne's 'Vanity Fair' columns were largely fuelled by clunking name-drops, to a self-parodic degree, but admittedly that was his job.

by Anonymousreply 1410/10/2012

People working in movies, TV, etc have to constantly hustle for thier next job. Name dropping is no different from businesses touting their famous clients.

They have to do it so often that I am sure it just becomes a way of life.

by Anonymousreply 1510/10/2012

Because they are douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2012

I do it for fun and folly

by Anonymousreply 1810/10/2012

Because people are insecure, that's why. It's really very simple. Namedropping gives these people a self-deluded "fix" that they "matter," that they, TOO,are important people. It always has the opposite effect, though. It is transparent. Namedroppers are thought of as douchebags, at least in the thought bubbles of those around them.

I have some famous friends who really ARE friends. And the old cliche is true, they are just people. Fame is a mantle that can provide some fascinating experiences and bring out the best and worst of people, both the famous person and his/her fans. My friends are real, though. Sincere and nice and grounded. And laugh at the Hollywood bullshit that goes on. They, too, would eye roll at a namedropper.

With all that being said, I think we all have namedropped a time or three in our lives. It is quite fun to indicate that we know a famous person or have an anecdote about one. I have sort of namedropped here in this post but only to prove a point. Now, I am jetting off to Paris with Cheyenne Jackson and Anderson Cooper. Bye! LOLOL

by Anonymousreply 1910/10/2012

Is it possible to get people to stop doing it? Is there something you can say back to them (short of "You're really dropping a lot of names") that can make them aware they're embarrassing themselves?

by Anonymousreply 2010/10/2012

OP has already made it clear that he considers his friend a nonentity. His friend is trying to refute that.

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012

"Drop That Name" is a great Judy Holliday song from "The Bells Are Ringing."

by Anonymousreply 2210/11/2012

[quote]"Oh, I worked with so-and-so"

Oh god how I hate hearing that and want to answer

[quote]You may have worked on the same project, but, no, you did not work WITH so-and-so. He/she doesn't know you exist.

You can't say that, so you just have to play along.

by Anonymousreply 2310/11/2012

R3 thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, but unfortunately, he's just the oldest. Can't write worth a damn, either.

by Anonymousreply 2410/11/2012

To feel important

by Anonymousreply 2510/11/2012

Funny. I just recently was talking with my good friend Kevin Kline about name-dropping just as Laura Dern joined us for a drink, and they agreed with me that it's a pathetic attempt to gain cachet. We all hate it.

by Anonymousreply 2610/11/2012

A very famous woman and I were friends for years until her death.

And I never told anyone except my closest friend and my sister.

You cannot know how many times I've wanted to toss that out when friends drop names.

But it is a delicious little secret.

by Anonymousreply 2710/11/2012

Oh, silly OP. I'm sitting here enjoying some kombucha with my dear friend Kofi Annan and my dearer friend, Madeleine Albright, soaking up tonight's wonderful debate. My dear friends Barack and Michelle are coming over for a nightcap shortly. Why do I mention these people? Quite simple: some of us are simply more important than you, and we want you to understand that so you don't have false expectations out of life.

by Anonymousreply 2810/11/2012

My cousin's friend who is a stylist to ALL the big names in Hollywood says that his besty Tom Cruise uses simple vowels when referring to people. This keeps less-evolved people from feeling out of touch.

He's hooked on the phonics.

by Anonymousreply 2910/11/2012

OP You say he interjects all these names into the conversation, but have you ever directly asked a question about any of these people to try to engage a conversation?

by Anonymousreply 3010/12/2012

I wonder why people keep repeating over and over again the same unfunny joke of themselves namedropping on this thread. Did they not see that others did it before them? or did they just think it was so damn hilarious it deserved being repeated a 46th time?

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2012

Desperate need to be special....

"And that's because none of us got enough love in our childhood. And that's showbiz... kid."

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2012

My true friends only say "M."

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2012

I have no idea what possesses people to do such a thing, though that does remind me, OP, of the time that I was having cocktails with Barbra, and James Baldwin, and Lily Auchincloss, and Arlene Francis, when Halston spilled his drink all over Carolyne Roehm's new Aubusson -- well, by "new Aubusson," I of course mean new old Aubusson. Anyway, it could have been quite the ruckus, but my friends are all so cultured, don't you know, and it was all handled so very beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2012

A characteristic of Narcissistic Personality Disorder is wanting people to envy you. I don't mean this the way it's going to sound - but would name-dropping bother someone if they weren't envious?

Sometimes when I've heard people say they knew someone famous, I've really been interested to hear about them so I've found it exciting to get some inside "scoop" about someone famous that I'm interested in.

But if I sense that they're trying to act like they're better than me, then I feel offended (and also forewarned that I'm dealing with a nasty personality disorder and need to avoid that person, at all times, whether they're name-dropping or not.)

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2012

It gives credence to what your saying, sadly. People are more apt to listen to whatever you're trying to say if you attach, "and I was saying this to Brad Pitt just the other day..."

It's like citing a reference in an academic paper. Sort of.

by Anonymousreply 3610/12/2012

Yes, R27 We know about Jackie O and her walkers.

by Anonymousreply 3710/12/2012

Myself and a few colleagues work in the arts in the same city so we all deal with various celebrities, actors, artists, musicians, etc. However, one colleague in particular continually has to namedrop about the people with whom she works.

She's a nice person, but her namedropping is annoying since we all work with our fair share of famous people. Most of her namedropping seems to be due to just flat-out bragging.

by Anonymousreply 3810/12/2012

It's about insecurity. The best you can do is look kindly, touch her arm and say, "My dear, you don't need to namedrop the rich and famous all the time, we love you for you."

Either you will make her feel better or shame her into knocking off the name-dropping, at least with you.

by Anonymousreply 3910/12/2012

[quote]OP that's how everyone in Los Angeles is.

couldn't be further from the truth. a few people who work in teh industry are that way, and maybe a few wannabees do it too, but most people in LA can't be bothered. everybody knows somebody famous, so who cares?

by Anonymousreply 4010/12/2012

[quote]Yes, [R27] We know about Jackie O and her walkers.

She had one companion in her later years.

You cannot be that thick.

by Anonymousreply 4110/12/2012

How about because other people are interested? Look at DL - if you say you know someone famous, many people jump in and want to know all the details. It's fun to be the one with the secret to share. I do it on occassion, but I agree, do it too much and it's just plain obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 4210/12/2012

[quote]I wonder why people keep repeating over and over again the same unfunny joke

You must be new here, hon. The eldergays around here ADORE running a lame gag into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 4310/12/2012

Lack of self esteem !!

by Anonymousreply 4410/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!