Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How did Andrew Sullivan get to be so ugly?

Here's how he looked when he was the editor of the New Republic--and this was a non-professional photo. I'll post pictures of what he looks like now inside.

I'm not asking for a judgment of his personality or his politics. I am interested solely in this thread in what happened to his looks. I don't see how in just twenty years he went from being such a beautiful young man to being genuinely homely and unattractive. And no, it;s not just age and weight gain. It's like he goes out of his way now to look horrible.

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2012

This is what he looks like now--and realize he specially dressed up for the occasion:

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2012

Here's another photo of him as he looks today:

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2012

Sully has HIV, OP. HIV tends to age a person.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2012

It's called age. Look into it.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2012

Not everyone ages that badly, r4. Maybe you have, but I sure haven't in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2012

OP what more do you want? Sully has HIV and he's

Not everyone grows old gracefully, let alone be afflicted with a disease like HIV where you must consume countless medications just to get you out of bed daily.

Neither the disease nor the medications are beauty products.

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2012

[quote]I sure haven't in 20 years.

BITCH PLEASE!

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2012

[quote]Not everyone ages that badly, [R4]. Maybe you have, but I sure haven't in 20 years.

Well smell YOU.

You do seem a bit naïve about how aging and weight gain affects the average person. Most thin people are pretty cute when they're 25, but it doesn't last. Gravity, sun exposure and lifestyle (alcohol, smoking, diet and drugs) take their toll. Losing ones hair and choosing to grow a bushy mountain man beard will also dramatically alter a man's appearance.

Add weight gain and it gets worse, especially with regards to gravity. When I gain weight it shows on my face. Add gravity to the equation and in a few years your once-chiseled cheekbones are droopy jowels. Add HIV and the harsh meds that it entails and it gets even worse. And none of this even touches on genetics, which also plays a part. Some people just age worse than others.

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2012

Andrew always struck me as a terribly conflicted person. I think he's hiding behind the beard.

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2012

I think he's fucking hot! Grr!!

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2012

He's become a bear. God, that look just revolts me.

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012

He would look so much better if he would get facial filler and wear a rug.

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2012

Aids face is hot?

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2012

HIV, duh.

by Anonymousreply 1410/10/2012

He's still handsome, I just don't like the beard

by Anonymousreply 1510/10/2012

[quote] Losing ones hair and choosing to grow a bushy mountain man beard will also dramatically alter a man's appearance.

Neither age nor his illness forced him to choose to grow that horrible beard.

by Anonymousreply 1610/10/2012

It looks like HIV and the medications used to keep it in check can cause accelerated aging, at least with some people.

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2012

OP, please post pictures of yourself from 20 years ago as well as from today.

The only thing "ugly" in this thread is your nastiness.

by Anonymousreply 1810/10/2012

R17, and it also causes the hair from your head to gravitate downward to your chin.

by Anonymousreply 1910/10/2012

r19 = Sully herself

by Anonymousreply 2010/10/2012

Isnt he deeply into the bear Iifestyle?

He was hot.

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012

He's deeply into bb lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 2210/10/2012

I can never get the image of Sully picking at his ass during the end credits of "Real Time with Bill Maher" several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2310/10/2012

Seen arch enemy, and ex-DL drunk, David Ehrenstein lately?

by Anonymousreply 2410/10/2012

When some guys start going bald they grow a beard. Maybe they feel a need to have a lot of hair above their shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2012

Is the roid look also from HIV meds, ie do people take steroids as part of their drug regimen? So many HIV+ guys have that vascular look.

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2012

They take a growth hormone, R26, to counteracting the wasting effects of HIV. Some HIV patients who don't actually need the drug get a script for it anyway and sell the pills to bodybuilders.

by Anonymousreply 2710/10/2012

He looks like any middle aged normal looking man who cutltivates a very specific look. Not my cup of tea.

But I do not care about his looks.

He is such an intellectual hysteric and bullshit thrower. I have no idea why he has a voice or is a player in the world of opinion. Well I guess I do. All you have to do is be loud enough, persistent enough and you will be successful, e.g., Bill OLiely, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, etc all. He is of that ilk if not as far to the right.

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2012

Some people get HIV and can still look terrific as they age. Michael Cunningham was a hot handsome daddy when he was older than Sully is now; same with Edward Albee.

by Anonymousreply 2910/10/2012

Uhhh...never said they did, R16. I was just pointing out that CHOOSING to grow the beard also added to his more aged appearance.

by Anonymousreply 3010/10/2012

He was always a pig, inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 3110/10/2012

Self loathing (being gay, HIV positive, an outsider, low self esteem, etc.) can do a lot of destructive things to you. Though I am not sure if self loathing itself ages you or the decisions (taking drugs, barebacking, overeating, etc.) you make because of your self loathing.

by Anonymousreply 3210/10/2012

The beard's kind of awful. I love a well-groomed beard, but this sort of mountain man/hipster-doofus thing just isn't flattering. Mr. Edwards really shouldn't be any thinking man's role model.

by Anonymousreply 3310/10/2012

He looks ok now and didn't look exceptionally cute before.

The truth is that about 12 years ago - in between - he looked very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 3410/10/2012

[quote]How did Andrew Sullivan get to be so ugly?

Decades of dedicated, hard work.

by Anonymousreply 3510/10/2012

[quote]afflicted with a disease like HIV where you must consume countless medications just to get you out of bed daily.

Before 1998, yes. For more than a decade, most HIV patients take one, possibly two or three HIV pills a day.

by Anonymousreply 3610/10/2012

Don't forget, he's an admitted rampant pot-smoker, so those munchies make for a combo of facial wasting and carb-face porking!

Gut but no ass!

jowls but no cheeks!

by Anonymousreply 3710/10/2012

He has embraced age and extra weight and become a bear. That's his choice.

by Anonymousreply 3810/10/2012

[quote]How did Andrew Sullivan get to be so ugly?

He wrote a post that wasn't entirely positive about Obama

Everyone on here thought he was great in every way prior to his post yesterday

by Anonymousreply 3910/10/2012

[quote]He has embraced age and extra weight and become a bear. That's his choice.

You're right. He has chosen to be so ugly.

by Anonymousreply 4010/10/2012

He wanted the outside to match the inside

by Anonymousreply 4110/10/2012

[quote]He has embraced age and extra weight and become a bear.

That's gay suicide! You never ever embrace age. You fight age like it's the Wicked Witch from the West. You also avoid gaining weight like it's a M.A.S.H TV marathon. And, well, bears. Bears are the purgatory portal to the Log Cabin Republican Camp.

by Anonymousreply 4210/10/2012

"Everyone on here thought he was great..."

Speak for yourself, Mary. Not everyone fawns over this porcine hedgehog of equivocation.

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.