Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mitt Romney Abortion Stance Changes, As Candidate Says He Won't Push To Restrict Access

“There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda,” the Republican presidential nominee told The Des Moines Register in an interview.

But Romney doesn't admit that the Supreme Court justices that he would appoint would overturn Roe v. Wade.

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012

And next week he'll have a different stance. Mitt isn't pro choice, he's multiple choice.

by Anonymousreply 110/10/2012

Shakin' the Etch-A-Sketch.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2012

The Romney campaign has already walked back the comment.

[quote]The Romney campaign walked back the remark within two hours of the Register posting its story. Spokeswoman Andrea Saul told the National Review Online's Katrina Trinko that Romney "would of course support legislation aimed at providing greater protections for life."

If America elects this man, whatever was left of my naive optimism that there is some good in America, will be vanquished. Only idiots and the ignorant could vote for this imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2012

[quote]Mitt isn't pro choice, he's multiple choice.

Why didn't Obama use this line against Romney in the debate last week?

Worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2012

Isn't he the candidate for the party that in 2004 waved big flip-flops at their national convention to jeer at their opponents? Do these people have any memory at all? Do they stand for anything?

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2012

R4 - Obama and Biden will have three more opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2012

If people are going to believe the press' attempt to sensationalize and oversimplify Romney's statement, it will probably only help his campaign by making him appear more moderate on the issue.

People need to start reading at a high school or above reading comprehension level. He referred to legislation, not the executive orders regarding abortion that he intendeds to carry out. He was referring to laws, not spending, in which he still intends to cut any financial support for abortion wherever it may exist in the budget. He referred to his own agenda, meaning what he himself would push. He said nothing about not supporting what the Congress may pass and that he would sign anyway. Above all else, he still intends to appoint Supreme Court justices that he hopes will overturn Roe v. Wade.

The so-called "walk back" was just the campaign telling the press they got it wrong again. How are people so easily manipulated by a headline, and why are they allowed to vote?

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2012

The stupidity of people is astounding, no one seems to care about Romney's lies and flip-flops and complete lack of principles and convictions. All they want is a fake show with someone being loud and forceful, not smart, rational or honest. The media isn't much help since they refuse to just tell the truth about Romney and all of his lies.

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2012

Maddow was talking about this a few weeks ago. Romney has the tendency to make sane-like comments during interviews and debates when people are watching.

Then, after the media is done covering it, his campaign always walks back the comment, thus making Romney seem reasonable and moderate but at the same time not upsetting the far-right base of his party.

This is not even the first or second or third time he's done this either. It's become almost an ongoing recurrence, as if it's become their campaign strategy. Which I bet it is.

This man is revolting, but I wouldn't put it past 'merica to elect him.

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2012

Rachel Maddow has been on to Romney's lies since as early as last year. She's been hammering away at the Romney campaigns seeming strategy to lie and then walk back by issuing statements that Romney didn't lie, he just misspoke.

Personally, I am a political junkie and I have never seen a candidate lie so frequently and so boldly as Romney.

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2012

I agree, R10.

Maddow had Romney's number from Day 1 - as did Ted Kennedy, who put the SOB down in 1994.

My question is, why didn't David Axelrod and the rest of Team Obama, see this coming last week?

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!