Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Beyonce exits Eastwood's 'A Star Is Born'

Remake still has no male star or start date

By Justin Kroll

With the male lead still up in the air, helmer Clint Eastwood's "A Star Is Born" remake is facing another challenge as Beyonce Knowles has fallen out of the project.

Warner Bros. had no comment, but sources said her schedule was already packed and that without a set start date the scheduling became too complicated for the singer.

Knowles was set to play the role Barbra Streisand last limned in the 1976 version as the promising young performer who falls in love with an older fading star, played by Kris Kristofferson in that version.

Jon Peters, Bill Gerber and Basil Iwanyk are producing the remake, with Will Fetters penning the most recent script. Production had to push due to Beyonce's pregnancy and Eastwood took an acting gig on "Trouble With the Curve" during the hiatus.

Studio insiders said that with Knowles now off the project, there has been interest, at least from Eastwood's end, in jazz musician Esperanza Spaulding. Sources emphasized, though, that until the male lead is locked, no discussions or offers will be out to the female lead.

Eastwood has approached a number of top male stars about playing the fading star, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Cruise, Christian Bale, Johnny Depp and, most recently, Bradley Cooper.

Though there is no offer out to Cooper at this time, there's still a possibility he could come onboard, though Cooper, too, has a busy skid. He is currently filming "The Hangover III" with plans to move onto David O. Russell's untitled pic after the shoot is finished.

Knowles is repped by ICM.

by Anonymousreply 7003/24/2013

Thank god. Now if only GOOP would stay way from the Gogos, all would be good in the entertainment universe.

by Anonymousreply 210/10/2012

They need to get Jennifer Hudson

by Anonymousreply 310/10/2012

Like this turd needs to be remade yet again.

by Anonymousreply 410/10/2012

Have they considered casting an empty chair as the fading male star?

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2012

Jennifer Hudson cannot act!

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2012

Switch it up: Sigourney Weaver as the aging star and some unknown young hot guy as the rising star.

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2012

Not interested in seeing any film starring, produced or directed by Clint Eastwood.

Some things are unforgivable given the climate that we live in. He's dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2012

No, Nicole Kidman as a youth-obsessed, oversurgeried fading star! With very few exceptions, actresses tend to face career death around age forty, Sigourney's already past that crisis.

Maybe Ryan Reynolds as Vic Lester, maybe an unknown.

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2012

Eastwood's dodged a bullet by losing Beyonce. Maybe someone better will get the part (not Hudson).

I like the switch idea. Kidman would never do it, she sees herself as a youthful romantic leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2012

NOW will you atheist bitches stop staying there is no God?

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012

Good move. She should not be in films until she learns to say ask instead on ax.

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2012

...and in steps Dakota Fanning.

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2012

Jay-Z and Beyonce are friends with the Obamas. Maybe that empty chair had plenty to do with her exit.

Pe-paw Eastwood must be about as popular as Mel Gibson since his senior moment at the Repub convention.

by Anonymousreply 1410/10/2012

Make it lesbian! Jamie Lee Curtis and Emma Stone!

by Anonymousreply 1510/10/2012

I hope she left because of asshole Eastwood's Obama-chair mocking bullshit. I wouldn't want to work with him after that shit.

by Anonymousreply 1610/10/2012

I have to say, a gay remake would be a great way to give new life to an old story. Instead of the highly publicized romance in the earlier versions, the central relationship could remain hidden from the public until the "Mrs. Norman Maine" moment at the end. Wouldn't that be cool?

Not that Clint Eastwood would ever do it. We'd have to pry the rights out of his cold, dead hands.

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2012

Iz wantz to winz a grammiez oscarz and goldenz globez

by Anonymousreply 1810/10/2012

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Mrs. Norman Maine"

by Anonymousreply 1910/10/2012

That's what I'm thinking R14. Beyonce was all on board for this movie for a couple of years now. When Clint did that. I knew it wouldn't be long before she dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 2010/10/2012

How about just NOT re-making it period.

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012

I like the switch idea, too. There are already more than enough old actor/younger actress movies. Give some older actress a chance.

by Anonymousreply 2210/10/2012

I like the shapes that aren't squares.

by Anonymousreply 2310/10/2012

What R21 said.

by Anonymousreply 2410/10/2012

Beyonce's out? Thank God!

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2012

Too bad. I was looking forward to seeing Beyonce's poodle perm.

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2012

What R21 said.

by Anonymousreply 2710/10/2012

SING JUDY!

DANCE JUDY!

The world is waiting for your sunshine!

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2012

So why was Judy's character considered some unknown when she has this huge number at a huge gala before she even meets Mason?

At least Streisand, while not slumming it in dives, had her character singing at more modest venues.

by Anonymousreply 2910/10/2012

Britney Spears needs to replace her. She knows about the price of fame.

by Anonymousreply 3010/10/2012

It should be somebody younger. All the people considered are getting too old. Even Barbra was too old in 1976 to be believable as a huge pop star.

by Anonymousreply 3110/10/2012

Beyonce needs intensive elocution lessons before she attempts any more movies

by Anonymousreply 3210/10/2012

This had disaster written all over it. Glad she dumped Eastwood. Maybe he can use an empty chair.

by Anonymousreply 3310/10/2012

"A Star is, like, Born, Right?" Esther "Essie" Blodgett (Jennifer Aniston) seems happy in her career as a lounge singer on the cruise ship circuit when she meets Norman "Hellcat" Maine (Christopher Walken), a boozing, drugging singer/producer who is launching a reality show called "American Star"; he intends to start his show after his cruise vacation. After he drunkenly vomits on her shoes during her set, she takes pity on him and brings him back to her cabin, where they make sweet love and he French kisses her. Back in L.A., he pulls strings to get her an audition, and rigs it so that at the end of the show, she becomes the winner. Her singing career is launched and she becomes a star singing saccharine power ballads and faux hip-hop dance hits. As her star rises, Norman's begins to wane - his reality show is cancelled after allegations that he reneged on a promise to make another starlet the winner for the show's second season; his record company drops him and his pet hamsters are killed in a fire he started during one of his drinking binges. Essie's friends and her agent beg her to leave Norman, but she can't because she feels obligated to the man who started her career. The breaking point comes when he, crashing the Grammy Awards and drunkenly running onstage, accidentally gut-punches her onstage as she accepts her Grammy. What should she do?

Eastwood can direct and the soundtrack can be produced by Babyface or Pharrell.

by Anonymousreply 3410/10/2012

Lady Gaga is the right age and perfect for the role.

by Anonymousreply 3510/10/2012

W&W for R34.

by Anonymousreply 3610/10/2012

A bunch of old white guy producers remaking an old old movie at the cost of millions and millions. senile old right wing white guy to direct. box office bonanza!

by Anonymousreply 3710/10/2012

Beyonce is the biggest hype going, she can't sing, dance or act.

by Anonymousreply 3810/10/2012

[quote]Beyonce is the biggest hype going, she can't sing

Here she is singing 'Halo' live in a hospital. Even with the shitty acoustics she sounds pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 3910/10/2012

I have made my decision.

The female lead will be a fashionable veranda chair.

And the male lead will be a rocking chair (the Rocker!)

by Anonymousreply 4010/10/2012

Beyonce is one hell of an entertainer. Anyone who has seen her in person will tell you. She is a consummate performer. She has her heart set on gaining credibility as an actress. It's good she walked away from this, because it would have killed her acting career.

She'll never be a great actress, but she could be passable. No matter what she does, in film, she will always be Beyonce. Her image as an entertainer is too strong.

I think with her, it will be about finding a vehicle that will be well marketed and called a "success" by the most important measure: Money. She and her husband are among the most avaricious people out here.

by Anonymousreply 4110/10/2012

All of her songs are chants, not real songs. And she's really dumb.

by Anonymousreply 4210/10/2012

Are yoo-hoo wa-ha-ha-tching me noooo-ow-ow-ow-how...

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2012

Esperanza Spaulding is NOT an actress. And Eastwood has "interest" in casting her in the lead role in an ill-advised remake of a film that's being remade TWICE already? I hope that if she's offered the role she has enough common sense to turn it down.

I think Clint Eastwood must be losing it if he's seriously wanting to do a remake of "A Star Is Born." I think it's almost certain to be an incredible flop, a major embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 4410/10/2012

If she dropped out because of politics, she sure waited a long time.

by Anonymousreply 4510/10/2012

I bet it was because Eastwood is a hard-ass and would not cave into Team Beyonce's diva demands.

by Anonymousreply 4610/10/2012

Barbra Streisand as the aging star and Zac Efron as the rising musical star, in a May-December romance story.

by Anonymousreply 4710/10/2012

Once again, Bouncey gets thrown off a film project. Maybe she can get "pregnant" again for some press.

by Anonymousreply 4810/10/2012

Whenever I've seen Beyonce in an interview, she is clearly dumb as a post. And yes, she does say axe instead of ask.

by Anonymousreply 4910/10/2012

Let's not totally knock her. She's a huge Obama supporter. She may really have had a problem working with Eastwwod after last month.

by Anonymousreply 5010/10/2012

Is the movie not being made then since Beyonce is out?

by Anonymousreply 5103/24/2013

Eastwood is late for his dirt nap.

by Anonymousreply 5203/24/2013

I wouldn't consider Beyonce dropping out a set back.

by Anonymousreply 5303/24/2013

The film was never being made anyway, it's just in development. Beyonce was probably attached but not contracted.

by Anonymousreply 5403/24/2013

Who cares about Whoreoncé anyway?

by Anonymousreply 5503/24/2013

No black woman would work with Eastwood after his GOP stunt. I can't believe no one noticed the timeline of Beyoncé dropping out of this stinker. Is it just the gag reflex?

by Anonymousreply 5603/24/2013

JON PETERS IS PRODUCING this remake????

Everybody -- get out NOW!

by Anonymousreply 5703/24/2013

I'm sick of Beyonce. Glad she's not involved in this. In fact, no more R&B singers. I hate these ladies who have to sing all over the place to hit a single note. Eastwood should find a rock n roll singer for this.

by Anonymousreply 5803/24/2013

Why is Eastwood determined to pair a black woman with a white actor? Hasn't it already been done in The Bodyguard? I say pick Britney Spears or Katy Perry for this crapfest, no black woman will want to work with him again.

by Anonymousreply 5903/24/2013

Brittany Howard and Elton John!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6003/24/2013

He should cast a Republican country singer like Taylor Swift or Leann Rimes.

by Anonymousreply 6103/24/2013

There is no way someone as fame and attention-hungry as B would drop out over politics

by Anonymousreply 6203/24/2013

Carrie Underwood and George Strait. The box office would be huge.

by Anonymousreply 6303/24/2013

Ah chosed a feelm fer chirruns instayyyd (1:51)

by Anonymousreply 6403/24/2013

I think it was Beyonce who tried to get the movie made, partly because she's a huge Barbra Streisand fan, and Barbra's ASIB is her favorite movie. She wanted Eastwood to direct until the Republican convention fiasco and then she pulled out.

by Anonymousreply 6503/24/2013

R44 A Star is Born was made 3 times before, 4 if you include What Price Hollywood.

R57 I am sure he is only getting money and a credit. I doubt if he is actually doing any work.

by Anonymousreply 6603/24/2013

Oh my sides, r64!

by Anonymousreply 6703/24/2013

R44 It was made 3 times before, 4 times if you count "What Price Hollywood?".

by Anonymousreply 6803/24/2013

R57 I doubt he is actively doing any work on it. Probably just getting credit and money for remake rights.

by Anonymousreply 6903/24/2013

OMG, OMG, OMG. Britney!!!

by Anonymousreply 7003/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.