Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can I quit my job, take COBRA coverage, and move to another state?

I'm trying to understand what my options are. Do I have to stay in my state to keep my COBRA?

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2012

OP, COBRA is not dependent on whether or not you move to another state.

by Anonymousreply 110/09/2012

No, but you do have to follow the rules of your healthplan. I fyour plan had natinal coverage, so be it. But if it was an HMO with a provider network that you chose, then you have to stay with that coverage. COBRA is very expensive. You may want to check into getting a bare bones individual policy if you are healthy and don't obtain a lot of health services. These policies cover catastrophic siituations but do not cover doctor visits, meds ,etc.

by Anonymousreply 210/09/2012

Correct... you can certainly opt for the COBRA and pay your premiums for the coverage.... BUT, you may have a hard time finding in-network coverage in another state. You have to check the coverage your plan offers. Most of the time emergencies are covered regardless of the location.

by Anonymousreply 310/09/2012

I think my plan has good out of state coverage. It's a PPO.

by Anonymousreply 410/09/2012

Why not just get individual coverage? That is much cheaper than COBRA.

What is the advantage of keeping COBRA over just getting an individual policy?

by Anonymousreply 510/10/2012

Why don't you just use your national health service?

Oh, that's right...

by Anonymousreply 610/10/2012

Don't quit your job, OP. You crazy?

by Anonymousreply 710/10/2012

I thought COBRA was just available if you were laid off.

If you quit, you can still stay on your employer's plan through COBRA?

What if you're fired for cause?

What if you're changed from full time to part-time that doesn't include health-care insurance?

by Anonymousreply 810/10/2012

OP, my sister moved from Cali to Nevada and tried to get Cobra. Her company was an international company, her health plan was a big corporation, and they refused to cover her in the new state. They claimed they had no coverage in the new state. Since she didn't work there any more, her old employers didn't give a shit. They made one or two calls for her and dropped it. Meanwhile, she had left due to illness, wasn't getting her meds and got very sick.

Finally, she started calling local doctors and asking if they took local patients with her company's insurance. Every single one did. So she called her old employers back, told them if they didn't get off their ass and help her she would sue. She had coverage by the end of the day.

That's not the first time I've heard of an employer leaving you to fend for yourself. The worst one was a father with a very sick infant, he paid for Cobra, they allowed his insurance to lapse anyway. He found out when the child was rushed to the emergency room over the weekend. No insurance. By Monday the bill was tens of thousands of dollars. He called the employer, they told him, "You don't work here any more, it's your problem," and hung up. Yes, I know that's illegal, but that kid was uninsurable. I have no idea what happened after that. I worked there, the bosses were total assholes. Their idea was once you left, fuck you. They're not the only ones.

Before you quit, call the insurance company yourself, find out if they cover your new state, then call several doctor's offices in the new state, talk to the billing clerk and find out if they take that insurance. Then shop around and see if you can get a cheaper or better policy in the new state, maybe with a different company. If you're young and in good health, you might not be much worse off getting your own policy.

by Anonymousreply 910/10/2012

Hell, why not? I quit my job, took out COBRA, and moved to a country with national health. I kept the COBRA for six months in case things didn't work out, and then cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 1010/10/2012

COBRA is too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 1110/10/2012

Believe me, COBRA coverage is not what it is cracked up to be.

Destro has been waiting for weeks now just to get a flu shot while Major Bludd is need of cataracts surgery.

by Anonymousreply 1210/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.