Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Westgate CEO David Siegel threatens layoffs if Obama is re-elected

The man who takes credit for getting George W. Bush elected as president is now making efforts to see that Republican candidate Mitt Romney makes it into the Oval Office, too.

David Siegel, the multi-millionaire founder and CEO of Westgate Resorts, sent out an e-mail yesterday to more than 7,000 of his employees threatening layoffs if President Barack Obama is re-elected.

The letter reads in the beginning: “The economy doesn’t currently pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is another 4 years of the same presidential administration.”

Right after, Siegel reassures his employees that his intention isn’t to force them to vote one way or the other.

“Of course, as your employer, I can’t tell you whom to vote for, and I certainly wouldn’t interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose.”

But then later in his letter, he sends a thinly-veiled message:

So where am I going with all this? It’s quite simple. If any new taxies are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of the company. Rather than grow this company, I will be forced to cut back. This means fewer jobs, less benefits and certainly less opportunity for everyone.

So, when you make your decision to vote, ask yourself, which candidate understands the economics of business ownership and who doesn’t? Whose policies will endanger your job? Answer those questions and you should know who might be the one capable of protecting and saving your job.

Gawker posted an update to the story earlier today addressing suspicions that the letter was fake because it bears similarities to a chain letter that made its way around the Internet during the 2008 election season. The website reached out to Siegel, who confirmed that his letter is real and said that he used the chain letter as a guideline.

“I changed it [to fit my circumstances],” he said. “It speaks the truth and gives [employees] something to think about when they go to the polls.”

He also added that the threats of job layoffs are real.

Siegel is the head of Westgate Resorts, “one of the largest resort developers in the world.” He and his wife were the stars of the recent documentary The Queen of Versailles, which follows him as he set out to build the largest house in the United States. The construction of the 90,000 square foot, $75 million palace was suspended in 2009 after the recession hit.

by Anonymousreply 3910/13/2012

Love the throne, it tells a lot about the ass in it's seat.

by Anonymousreply 110/09/2012

So is this the new card they're going to play? Voter suppresion didn't work, lying isn't panning out, so now we're going to see all of these old, rich CEOs threatening their employees with their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 210/09/2012

The USA is one fucked up place

by Anonymousreply 310/09/2012

such slimeballs.

by Anonymousreply 410/09/2012

I'm sure they have a deep and abiding love.

by Anonymousreply 510/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 610/09/2012

He needs to be reminded of what happened to the occupants of the real Versailles.

by Anonymousreply 710/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 810/09/2012

I'll see your taxies and raise you a fleet of pickup trucks!

by Anonymousreply 910/09/2012

Nothing new, many Republicans have laid people off or refused to hire...they simply want unemployment high. It's the type of people they are...worthless, thieving, thugs.

by Anonymousreply 1010/09/2012

In the movie about him, he admits that he did something "that may not have been legal" that threw the election to Bush, who's the one who got us into this whole mess. I have no sympathy for him. He's a total asshole who rips off poor people for a living.

by Anonymousreply 1110/09/2012

The throne really says it all.

Shame on all gay Republicans who want to align themselves with the likes of that.

And guess what--you're STILL gay!!

by Anonymousreply 1210/09/2012

Feh. if he were my boss I would tell him to shove it, that I was voting for Obama, and that he might as well just let me go now.

Then I'd file the lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 1310/09/2012

He wants us to bail him out. Do you not get that?

by Anonymousreply 1410/09/2012

How many people did he lay off in 2001-08 when W. was president?

by Anonymousreply 1510/10/2012

Yea, definitely don't cut back on your personal expenditures you fucking pig! Take it out on your employees. I mean HELLO!? Someone's gotta pay for that horrific monstrosity of a "house." I hope this man dies soon. The earth will be a much better place without him.

by Anonymousreply 1610/10/2012

Another satisfied Westgate customer!

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2012

by Anonymousreply 1810/10/2012

This makes me so angry. He will his employees with his threat. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 1910/10/2012

by Anonymousreply 2010/10/2012

For this alone, I hope Obama wins. So, the fucker can eat crow.

People should boycott Westgate.

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012

Not a problem, since it's about timeshares -- a sucker's game.

by Anonymousreply 2210/10/2012

Anyone really think that if Romney is elected that will stop him from laying off people if it makes him money?

by Anonymousreply 2310/10/2012

of course not.

by Anonymousreply 2410/10/2012

Has anyone seen the documentary on this cunt? I want to but can't find it anywhere. BTW How much does it cost to air condition 90,000sq ft in Orlando? What a consumptive redneck fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2012

He's affiliated with THRIFTY car rentals, so I will do my best to avoid using.

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2012

If Rmoney wins he'll HAVE to lay off people, because the economy will just start to tank again.

by Anonymousreply 2710/10/2012

One of the many Evil old men in America today.

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2012

Please don't let him be white...

by Anonymousreply 2910/10/2012

[quote]I have no sympathy for him.

This was a question for you?

by Anonymousreply 3010/10/2012

Bumping original thread.

by Anonymousreply 3110/10/2012

Does he own Target?

by Anonymousreply 3210/10/2012

Does he own Westgate Malls?

by Anonymousreply 3310/10/2012

Westgate is a scummy timeshare company that usually converts old apartment complexes in Orlando and Las Vegas into scam central.

by Anonymousreply 3410/10/2012

I don't get timeshares or their appeal.

by Anonymousreply 3510/10/2012

[quote]I don't get timeshares or their appeal.

The appeal is that you have your own beach house or other vacation spot.

For people without the money or good luck to own a cottage on a beach, timeshares used to be a great thing.

Nowadays, however, the industry is dying (afaik). Instead of being stuck owning a timeshare, you can just vacation anywhere you want every year.

by Anonymousreply 3610/12/2012

Awhile ago I read an article about an employer who said if he was forced into layoffs because of the new health care plan, the first to go would be employees with "Obama" bumper stickers.

by Anonymousreply 3710/12/2012

He's a total piece of shit. And proof that reason never works with these fuckers. He's been handed the world but will only be happy if he can have YOUR world, too - and then be thanked for taking it from you. FUCK. THAT. NOISE.

by Anonymousreply 3810/13/2012

He's a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 3910/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!