Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Flax seed oil

Anyone else take this? My third day. I heard it's has the same benefits as fish oil but I can't take that so I'm trying this. When will my skin and hair glow?

by Anonymousreply 2207/18/2013

Fish oil has recently been shown to have no benefit and it was just another hyped pill.

by Anonymousreply 110/09/2012

Really R1? Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 210/09/2012

Fish oil is definitely great, when you eat it in fish in its natural state.

Supplements often have problems recapitulating the effects of natural foods for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, rather than flax seed oil, I would recommend flaxseeds.

by Anonymousreply 310/09/2012

Yes, I fell for it - 3 tablets a day for years!

by Anonymousreply 410/09/2012

I'm taking a liquid form R4. R3 what would you do with flax seeds. Put them in cooking or eat them raw?

by Anonymousreply 510/09/2012

I'm taking flax seed oil -- no heart attacks so far. Working!

by Anonymousreply 610/09/2012

Fish oil is terrible for you. The manufacturers use old oil, often rancid, and it can harm your health. Try breaking one open. You'll see how horrible it smells. It's also not clear that having the oil without the fish is good for you.

Stick with flax seed oil.

by Anonymousreply 710/09/2012

Just eat healthy.

by Anonymousreply 810/09/2012

Not all fish oil is equal, R7. Some manufacturers sell a quality product.

I agree with Michael Pollan. Whole food is so much more than the sum of its ingredients. Reducing food (such as fish) into a group of nutrients is not ever going to be the equivalent of eating a good piece of fish. For various reasons, eating fish on a daily basis is not always possible and that's where fish oil came along.

R5, I use a small spice grinder and grind the amount of flax seeds I need at one time. I usually add them to hot cereal. If you eat peanut butter, you can add ground flax seeds.

Chia seeds seem to be the latest thing, with some saying they're superior to flax seeds.

by Anonymousreply 910/09/2012

Can any nutritionists or doctors weigh in? I thought we just got over the acacia berry hype. R1, I remember being paid to discuss the benefits of fish oil way back when. Supposedly it was going to be added to peanut butter and frozen yogurt bars, to make them healthier.

by Anonymousreply 1010/09/2012

I put a couple of teaspoons of ground flax seed in my granola in the morning. I add a few berries et voila, a healthy breakfast. Flax seed is protein.

by Anonymousreply 1110/09/2012

Ground up flax seed meal is the best form for digestive purposes and the ability to mix it in various foods, e.g., yogurt, oatmeal, salad, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1210/09/2012

You should also take a spoonful of hot sauce along with a spoonful of flax seeds.

The hot sauce makes the villi in your gut more receptive to absorbing beneficial fatty acids.

by Anonymousreply 1310/09/2012

I take it, and also hemp seed oil. I've noticed no miraculous effects from either.

by Anonymousreply 1410/09/2012

Flax gives me crazy gas and crazy poops. Fish oil definitely lowered my triglycerides.

by Anonymousreply 1510/09/2012

Fish oil gives you horrific breath; I found I burped a bit through the day after taking a fish oil capsule and noticed an unpleasant odor. Thanks but I'll take an early death over being shunned for bad breath.

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2012

I used to grind up flax seeds into a drink with cranberry juice. I put on 5 pounds and dumped that shit immediately. I looked it up on livestrong and weight gain was a side effect.

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2012

[quote]When will my skin and hair glow?

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 1810/10/2012

One can get burpless fish oil pills.

If omega 3s are what you're after, choose ground flax seeds, a small handful walnuts, wild salmon, sardines or chia seeds which I like. I get an organic container of them and sprinkle them in tea and on stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1910/10/2012

Forget the hype: New study says omega-3s don't reduce health risks

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Omega-3 fatty acids, hailed by some for properties said to enhance heart health, were found to have no effect in reducing the risk of stroke, heart attack or death, according to a study released Tuesday.

The study, which followed nearly 70,000 patients at a hospital in Greece who were given supplements of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, is published in the September 12 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)....

"Our findings do not justify the use of omega-3 as a structured intervention in everyday clinical practice or guidelines supporting dietary omega-3," said Evangelos Rizos, chief author of the study....

An analysis of those figures indicated no "statistically significant" association with all-cause mortality, cardiac death, sudden death, heart attack, and stroke when all supplement studies were considered.

Health professionals, backed by a number of clinical trials, for years have touted the health benefits of omega-3, but the authors noted that other studies have failed to support those health claims...

Full article st link below:

by Anonymousreply 2010/10/2012

I found that flax seed oil made my hair fall out. At first, my hair had a nice shine to it but then my scalp became increasingly oily. I'm guessing that my hair follicles became clogged with sebum and the hair started to fall out. I stopped using the oil and the excessive shedding stopped.

by Anonymousreply 2110/10/2012

I have just finished an article about flaxseeds and flaxseed oil in connection with weight loss.

I hope to receive some constructive feedback to improve it even further...

by Anonymousreply 2207/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.