Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Barbra Streisand sings "Rose's Turn/Some People/Don't Rain on My Parade"

Not bad for a 70-year old broad! :-)

by Anonymousreply 7912/04/2013

That was pretty amazing, actually. SO good that I can't even come up with a good r1 cunty remark.

by Anonymousreply 110/09/2012

I was at the concert. Streisand was amazing - and I'm not a rabid Babs fan. This was the most comfortable and engaged I've ever seen her be with an audience. Her song choices were suitable for what she can do comfortably and well, and she didn't oversing or overact anything. Also the support acts - at least Chris Botti and Jason - were great. The three Italian tenor act was adequate.

I went to the concert expecting to have a moderately enjoyable evening and I came away very impressed

by Anonymousreply 210/09/2012

A much fresher set list than I was expecting. I've always wanted her to sing "What'll I Do?".

Act One You'll Never Know (video introduction) Funny Girl Overture Being Good Isn't Good Enough As If We Never Said Goodbye Medley: Nice ‘n Easy / That Face Didn't We Smile (with Il Volo)

Il Volo segment Un Amore Così Grande O Sole Mio

Barbra: The Way He Makes Me Feel Ask Barbra: Enough is Enough Marvin Hamlisch: The Way We Were / Through the Eyes of Love Jule Styne: Rose's Turn/Some People/ Don't Rain On My Parade

ACT TWO I Remember Barbra film clip You're The Top Bewitched What'll I Do? / My Funny Valentine (with Chris Botti) Lost Inside of You (with Chris Botti) Evergreen (with Chris Botti)

Chris Botti segment Emmanuel When I Fall In Love

Jason Gould segment Jason's video for Barbra's birthday (Nature Boy) How Deep Is The Ocean (Barbra and Jason) This Masquerade (Jason)

Barbra: People Here's To Life Make Our Garden Grow (with Il Volo, Brooklyn Youth Choir, Chris Botti) Some Other Time

by Anonymousreply 310/09/2012

Glad to hear this. Has she lost weight at all? At her last concert tour, she was looking slovenly and almost pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 410/09/2012

OMG, I love that! I think I'm going to cry.

by Anonymousreply 510/09/2012

Here's To Life is one of my all-time favorite songs. I have a version done by Shirley Horn which I play quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 610/09/2012

I can definitely hear the age in her voice on that tape- many thanks for posting. Oh she's still a great singer, particularly on the quieter songs where she does not have to summon the power and interval swoops. But you can hear it even then- her voice is thicker, huskier. She is wonderful in person in my experience- she is (believe it or not) self effacing, funny, and sweet. She's very classy (despite yelling fuck you to a Repub in NYC in 2006!) which I was all in favor of.

I think she is doing this tour for the $$, not for herself but for her philanthropies. Yeah she will keep 10 or 20 million for herself, but the rest will go to her foundation and charities.

Great woman, model diva.

by Anonymousreply 710/09/2012

I wish she'd do more updated music instead of old standards. She should do a dance album.

by Anonymousreply 810/09/2012

Jason did a Leon Russell song? And she did Enough is Enough as a solo, not duet?

by Anonymousreply 910/09/2012

I'm seriously not trying to be cunty, but I thought it was terrible. Her aging voice just doesn't have power or strength behind it any longer - it sounded weak and raspy. If you'd never heard of Barbra Streisand before and you listened to this recording, would you really think it was good?

by Anonymousreply 1010/09/2012

[quote]I wish she'd do more updated music instead of old standards. She should do a dance album

She did! Barbra recorded "Enough Is Enough" with Donna Summer and "The Main Event/Fight song.

The long version of "The Main Event" is very hard to find, because it was in the movie soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 1110/09/2012

I was shocked as well, r10. Then again, I haven't listened to anything recent from her in ages, so maybe this was a long time coming.

I think you still can hear what the voice was, even if, intially, she sounded really, really ragged.

by Anonymousreply 1210/09/2012

R10, your overlooking the fact that this performer has a long history with her audience.

by Anonymousreply 1310/09/2012

t7: Her voice is very leathery and husky...but like the mature Garland, it still delivers. She seems to have done some major training and excercise with her vocal cords - she sounds MUCH better than I ever thought she would, especially the GYPSY songs.

One of the reviewers said her warm rapport with her audiences is akin to Garland.

by Anonymousreply 1410/09/2012

Does she have a cold?

by Anonymousreply 1510/09/2012

Does this mean that Streisand is still doing the movie of Gypsy? Or trying to get it started again??? UGH.

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2012

She needs a lot of rest. If she sang through a show or rehearsal the day before - she will be raspy. She is 70 freaking years old. Everyone's voice changes, your chords thicken, they vibrate more slowly, come together with less cohesion - and she is singing well - much longer than many other people. We are used to our divas dying young. There are very few singers of her magnitude that made it this long, so I guess you really don't know what to expect.

I saw a show of her music done last month by someone else younger and in better voice but I really did not give a damn about it - just pretty and hollow. Babs is a great communicator. Yes, she has lost weight since the last tour. she looks like she's in excellent shape right now.

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2012

11 - I mean more like RECENT pop songs. Those songs she did with Donna Summer were forever ago. Even when Dusty was older, she kept current with dance music. See link...the song is still pretty timeless (probably because it was copied by 'you know who')

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2012

Pathetic

by Anonymousreply 1910/09/2012

I like Babs, but I was going to say that the one who amazes me is Barbara Cook. She's even older than Babs and can still belt them out like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 2010/09/2012

She does need to modernize. I think she should cover "Every Granny In The World" by Rihanna...oh, wait, she has no grandchildren.

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2012

Singing doesn't require that much energy, if you keep yourself in shape, don't smoke too much and don't do a lot of drugs, one can keep singing forever, maybe not hold the notes as long or as strong, 'though.

by Anonymousreply 2210/09/2012

How did Jason look and sound. That's a tired, overdone song he covered by Leon.

by Anonymousreply 2310/09/2012

WHO?

by Anonymousreply 2410/09/2012

Well, R21, I'm far from being an old geezer (I'm 31), but having been into music all my life, it's my opinion that for the most part, there have been very few truly decent songs written in the past three or four decades. Somehow the concept of actual melody seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird. Not to mention the fact that few, if any, singers today can even begin to hold a torch to people like Sinatra, Mel Torme, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald or...Barbra Streisand. If someone were to ask most of the singers today to sing some of the standards of the 30's or 40's, they would be incapable of doing it.

So...why should she "modernize"??

by Anonymousreply 2510/09/2012

I love Babs fans. You are all are so much more amusing than any Babs concert could ever be. I will be using "interval swoops" in my everyday speech from now on.

by Anonymousreply 2610/09/2012

I wish she'd do Sunset Blvd, The musical. Much better role for her than Mama Rose. More close to the real STAR!

by Anonymousreply 2710/09/2012

"belt them out" doesn't really apply to Barbara Cook.

by Anonymousreply 2810/09/2012

How does Il Volo differ from Il Divo . . . besides two letters?

by Anonymousreply 2910/09/2012

She has recorded What'll I Do. On her The Way We Were album.

by Anonymousreply 3010/09/2012

r 22 - singing , particularly on the scale Babs does it, requires TREMENDOUS energy. Singing for an hour with an orchestra is like a steeplechase event. Sitting around the house singing to yourself - sure - doesn't require all that much. Concertizing - is extremely draining.

by Anonymousreply 3110/09/2012

[quote]I'm seriously not trying to be cunty, but I thought it was terrible.

Yeah, because a real judge of how great she sounds should always be a YouTube video recorded on a cell phone. Dickhead.

by Anonymousreply 3210/09/2012

r30: No, you are thinking of "My Buddy/How About Me".

My single favorite recording of hers. Flawless in every respect.

by Anonymousreply 3310/09/2012

"Concertizing is extremely draining"!!!!

I LOVE you guys! Please post more. Please.

I'm not even disagreeing with you or being cunty. I love it when you queens break down Babs talent/singing/whatever. It's awe inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 3410/09/2012

New album out today "Release Me" at Amazon for $5.00 download. Don't know how long but Amazon is way better than iTunes because they have first day sales.

by Anonymousreply 3510/09/2012

I didn't die young, you heaping pile of horseshit, r17!

by Anonymousreply 3610/09/2012

I'm a Barbra fan, but she does sound raspy.

It's a pity to hear her lose that great voice of hers, but I wouldn't enjoy a couple of hours of that.

And I know I am in the minority, but I think "Don't Rain on My Parade" is a very annoying song.

by Anonymousreply 3710/09/2012

[quote]Singing doesn't require that much energy

Spoken like a true Beyonce fan.

by Anonymousreply 3810/09/2012

Streisand is a true talent who has taken care of her voice and knows how to sing properly. It shows. Compared to those screechers on American Idol, it is a treat to hear someone who is still truly amazing.

by Anonymousreply 3910/09/2012

R35, or you could listen to it on Spotify.

by Anonymousreply 4010/09/2012

Really, she sounds TERRIBLE on the Gypsy songs. Yeah, yeah, she's 70, her cords have thickened - whatever. Not only is she too old, but she cannot sing the role anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4110/09/2012

[quote] Yeah, because a real judge of how great she sounds should always be a YouTube video recorded on a cell phone. Dickhead.

LOL. Oh you Eldergay Streisand fangurls are so sensitive.

by Anonymousreply 4210/10/2012

Well someone tell me when is my turn

When is it...er, ah...dream for myself

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2012

What is weird to me is that I was a big fan and now I find that I am not.

And it has nothing to do with her losing her voice because I have avoided all her most recent releases.

I downloaded her new CD of songs recorded decades ago last night and was looking forward to listening to it, but only listened to a few songs.

I find that I still think she had a beautiful voice, but I don't like the way she sings most songs -- or the songs -- anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4410/10/2012

She's no Tovah Feldshuh.

by Anonymousreply 4510/10/2012

What was the stage for the show like? I was so put off by the ridiculous all-beige, fussily decorated set from her concert tour a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4610/10/2012

Twenty-three skidoo!

by Anonymousreply 4710/10/2012

Oh shit, R444. You better buy some body armor. Them queens be coming after yo' ass.

by Anonymousreply 4810/10/2012

R48, is this thread really going to have 444 posts? Wow! I wonder that person will say to make you post this in advance!

by Anonymousreply 4910/10/2012

I'm with r10. I'm a fan of hers (I'll watch "The Way We Were" or "Funny Girl" at the drop of a hat) but I was shocked at how bad she sounds.

I really hate to say it but she needs to retire. She's turning into Sinatra in his last years.

by Anonymousreply 5010/10/2012

Why doesn't she just die already.

by Anonymousreply 5110/11/2012

All Datalounge members who listened to this recording owe royalties to Ms. Streisand for this illegal recording.

by Anonymousreply 5210/11/2012

When Marty dies, who will become Barbra's manager?

by Anonymousreply 5310/11/2012

Did she sing her portion of the We Are the World remake? That would give me chills.

by Anonymousreply 5410/11/2012

I agree with you R50. I could not stand Sinatra- I love Streisand, she is doing so much good for the world in her philanthropic activities- she can make films, direct, do charater roles etc. But it is hard to hear that great voice decline.

My guess is that she tours because she can make so much money doing so. The reviews from Philly were pretty good despite the decline in voice. She does it less for her own wealth (which is plenty) than to fund charties- her womens heart center in LA, her Foundation, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5510/11/2012

It's really sad. Like her peer Aretha Franklin, she simply doesn't sound the same anymore. But at least we have the old videos and albums from their prime that reminds us of what they could do.

by Anonymousreply 5610/11/2012

That's why Linda retired, she claims her voice isn't as strong as before.

by Anonymousreply 5710/11/2012

I can't imagine anyone enjoying this at all except for absolute diehard fans wanting to see her live.

I don;t dismiss that, because though I am not a Streisand fan, I can imagine going to see Julie Andrews croak through songs in a concert today just so I could have the thrill of seeing her. But even so, Streisand is just not able to sing well anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5810/11/2012

Just listened to the clip on the Jason thread. She sounded pretty good- very sweet clip. But still, even 10 years ago she was much better. Her 2000 tour and the DVD from it are pretty much that last of Barbra still at her best- by the 2006 tour the decline is noticable.

by Anonymousreply 5910/11/2012

Great Performances - "Back to Broadway" on tonight.

by Anonymousreply 6011/29/2013

r57

Eder? McCartney? Thompson?

by Anonymousreply 6111/29/2013

Watching it now on PBS. Sings okay. Kind of fat.

by Anonymousreply 6211/29/2013

Oops...Back To Brooklyn

Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 6311/29/2013

It's on some PBS stations again right now.

by Anonymousreply 6412/01/2013

Question: Why do so many older gays worship her? Has she even acknowledged her gay fans? I know she has a gay son, but still, I never hear her talk about her gay fans like Cher does.

by Anonymousreply 6512/01/2013

This tour was the first I saw her and to my surprise it was fabulous and in the arena she sounded strong and sang all her biggest hits. She was relaxed, funny, interacted with the audience. One of the best concerts I've been.

by Anonymousreply 6612/01/2013

Streisand has always been a "me, me, me" performer. So was Lucy and so is Meryl ( that's how women last in the entertainment business ). That was one talent Garland lacked.

That being said she is not the singer for those songs. Even in her prime she didn't have the balls to be as evil, abusive and mean the way Mama Rose has to be played. By the way that is also why B.Peters was a bad Mama Rose. Streisand can be controlling, and lacking in constant self-awareness, but she is not an actor who can play that confused, abandoned child in an affective manner.

So those songs are done in vain. Which makes the recordings far more special, but the quality really lacking. Sad. She could find a better way to express her art if she sang for her seventies' voice. And please don't get me started on "The Guilt Trip".

by Anonymousreply 6712/01/2013

Streisand's voice is like margarine. Talk amongst yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 6912/02/2013

She gave a valid interpretation of the songs. I'd have to see it in context to know if it'd really work. I don't think Babs has the balls to play someone so unlikeable either - or at least play it well.

I'd actually really like a new version of Gypsy, given that the first two versions are rather awful. Note to filmmakers: if you miscast Rose, it's not gonna work. Period.

Whoever plays this part, can't be self conscious. Rose is a mean, evil, selfish woman with literally no redeemable qualities. Sure, I think, somewhere, she does love her kids, but she also resents them for not allowing her to be the star she felt she deserved to be.

She's incredibly charming and sexy when she needs to be. She also needs to be funny for the first act. That's what keeps you watching her. She's kinda hilarious in her complete disregard of other people and their feelings. The thing is: she can't know that she's funny. She's not a wacky, madcap Auntie Mame character. She's not eccentric. She's really provincial and kinda stupid. That's why she's so funny. She actually thinks the kid's act is good for God's sake.

When Betty Buckley played the role, she sang it better than anyone I've ever heard - yes, even Merman - but she was so cold and unfunny that the entire show felt awkward and much creepier than it needs to be, especially during the first act.

by Anonymousreply 7012/02/2013

No one can deny Barbra Streisand's astounding vocal range but her "singing" has never appealed to me personally. I've tried desperately over the years to fall in line & force myself to like her warbling but something just doesn't connect. My guess is that it's a combination of her shrill unpleasant tone & schmaltzy material that always leaves me cold. Even when she sings material I like (usually pre-1960 standards) there are ALWAYS far superior versions available elsewhere by underrated & more gifted vocalists.

No comment on the borderline unprofessional clip featured in this thread. *cough* Was it talent, powerful connections or simply good management that made Miss Streisand a star? Talk amongst yourselves...........

by Anonymousreply 7112/02/2013

Interesting remarks, R70. Apparently Arthur Laurents told Barbra she wasn't right, she plays for sympathy. Then Barbra discussed her mother Diana, who Arthur says sounded worse than Rose. He apparently told her that if you could deal with that, then yes, you can handle the part. It seems like it would be the final arc of Streisand's career, from "Funny Girl" to now. So who knows if all pieces will fall into place.

by Anonymousreply 7212/02/2013

Lol R71 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 7312/02/2013

She used the same stage and entrance as she did on her previous tour. Same Funny Girl overture. The PBS presentation really butchered this up. They maybe showed 10 seconds of the "You'll Never Know" opener, and missed all the photos of her with Mike Wallace, Jack Parr, Phyllis Diller (she was the opening act for Phyllis at the Bon Soir)and Judy Garland. This show was intended for Brooklyn. After Barclays, she opened the show with "On A Clear Day", and the second half of the show with "My Man". The PBS show also didn't show the solo numbers of Il Vilo, Cris Botti, or Jason Gould. I think her shows were much better after Brooklyn. Especially the Amsterdam and Tel Aviv shows on youtube. I had great seats for the show in Las Vegas. I figured as she neared 70 and I neared 60, I should finally fork over the bucks to see her. I'm glad I did, too.

Jack

by Anonymousreply 7412/02/2013

At this point I only want to hear Streisand perform material she has never sung before. Another "People", "Evergreen" or "Don't Rain On My Parade" will put me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 7512/02/2013

She sounds awful. Thank God this has zero chance of actually being made.

by Anonymousreply 7612/02/2013

Thank you R73 for bringing some "intelligence" to this thread. Stupid Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7712/04/2013

"The first two version were rather awful."

You mean Russell and Midler, not Merman and Lansbury. Right?

by Anonymousreply 7812/04/2013

Yes, the Russell and Midler film versions were terrible. Just awful. Fro the footage and audio I've seen/heard from Lansbury, she might have been the definitive Rose. Her "Rose's Turn" is especially chilling.

by Anonymousreply 7912/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.