Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

And the Oscar goes to Daniel Day-Lewis

"Lincoln" gets a rave as it opens in New York.

by Anonymousreply 4611/26/2012

"He BECOMES Lincoln."

Just how can anyone be sure of that?

by Anonymousreply 110/09/2012

No one is going to Meryl-Streep Mr. Day-Lewis with a third Oscar. He's not going to go down as the "greatest movie actor of all time" (Don't start about Walter Brennan's three Supporting Oscars) because even Streeo had the Hepburn foursome ahead of her.

Among men, only Jack Nicholson has three Oscars that include two best actors - there is no way the crown is going to a Brit/Irishman.

by Anonymousreply 210/09/2012

R2. Wanna bet?

by Anonymousreply 310/09/2012

He's a damn fine actor.

by Anonymousreply 410/09/2012

[quote] there is no way the crown is going to a Brit/Irishman.

We love the Brits nowadays op. They talk so nice afterall!!

by Anonymousreply 510/09/2012

Fuck off -- this is MY year, so get your skinny ass to the back of the line, Danny Boy!

Don't make me start getting personal!

by Anonymousreply 610/09/2012

PSH is submitting for Supporting Actor in The Master

by Anonymousreply 810/09/2012

OK so it's game on, but we've got plenty of time.

by Anonymousreply 910/09/2012

What movie is Sean Penn in?

by Anonymousreply 1010/09/2012

Will Hugh Jackman's jazz hands flare up during Les Miz?

by Anonymousreply 1110/09/2012

Homosexual actor Bradley Cooper is being touted! Will he come out on the telecast?

by Anonymousreply 1210/09/2012

Joaquin Phoenix is the lead in The Master. He is a shoe-in for a nomination at least.

by Anonymousreply 1310/09/2012

Vulture's predictions for the Best Actor category:

Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)

John Hawkes (The Sessions)

Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables)

Joaquin Phoenix (The Master)

Denzel Washington (Flight)

by Anonymousreply 1510/09/2012

PSH is not in the running for lead. He will try Supporting. Joaquin is up.

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2012

Daniel Day Lewis and Joaquin Phoenix are going to be a close call come Oscar season and whatnot.

Also. Jessica Lange as Madame Raquin and Sally Field as Mrs. Lincoln are going to be two very strong contenders come Oscar season and all of that.

I can't wait to see who all gets nominated for what later on down the line. Seems like some really great performers are kicking ass this year.

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2012

I'm placing bets now on Phoenix. First, its an incredible performance. Second, its a way to award the film, which is otherwise too much for the dull Academy. Third, its a comeback for him.

I just can't imagine that another actor is going to match his performance. besides, DDL just recently won and I can't see them giving him another for a while.

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2012

First, the article is not a review or a rave about the film or DDL. It's strictly a news item about the film with quotes from Spielberg and Tony Kushner.

OP is really reaching here. Of course the article is going to talk about "Oscar buzz" for the film as part of the overall PR push.

The coming attractions for the film make it look very sanctimonious and earnest in the most boring way, like Spielberg's AMISTAD (one of his flops).

DDL may well get an Oscar nod, but if the film turns Lincoln into a 2-dimensional figure, he won't be going home with another award.

by Anonymousreply 1910/09/2012

Have to disagree with you, R18. I found Phoenix's performance way overdone, turning the character into a near-grotesque that made it impossible to care what happens to him. There was a lot of Method-y self-indulgence going on there.

Hoffman and Adams were far better. Hell, Laura Dern had a small role and was more interesting than the Phoenix freak show.

by Anonymousreply 2010/09/2012

I agree, R18. I think right now it's Phoenix's to lose.

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2012

R20 -- I agree with you. Phoenix, to begin with: Emaciated, looking like he had curvature of the spine and no shoulders, would never pass the physical and be accepted in the Navy. Maybe in a desk job on the homefront but not the WWII Navy. Once you grappled with that false start to the film , you proceed on his tortured journey with an actor going way over the top, forcing the surrounding cast to stand back and cope with his self-indulgence.

Why should PSH settle for supporting category? He was, as always, superb and the real center of the film. Also, the minor characters were as outstanding as PSH and Amy Adams---Laura Dern, the wealthy hostess of the party, the man at the party who challenges PSH, the son-in-law who does more than anyone to tell you what it's like to be in a cult with his beautiful little scene at the dinner table. All the extras in the cult fascinating to watch.

by Anonymousreply 2210/09/2012

They need to spice up the list with [italic]exciting[/italic] actors.

by Anonymousreply 2310/09/2012

OP = Kate Capshaw, wanting to wear her new dress.

by Anonymousreply 2410/09/2012

DDL is the frontrunner for the prize. He may lose this status if the critics awards go against him. But he has everything going going for him with critical acclaim and the film is also getting strong reviews

by Anonymousreply 2511/16/2012

Well, I saw it, and the Oscar definitely goes to Daniel Day Lewis. Anyone else wants it they'll have to pry it from his hands. He owns it.

The movie was excellent and he was extraordinary. He puts acting on a while different level. His characterization was impeccable. I really felt like finally, I knew Lincoln in a way I never have from all the history I've read.

by Anonymousreply 2611/16/2012

It's kind of good how a Yank (Meryl) won for playing a Brit icon (Maggie), while DDL is doing the same thing in reverse.

by Anonymousreply 2711/16/2012

Lewis has this one in the bag. He'll be the first triple Best Actor winner. It's all about Best Actress now. At least we'll be spared Keira Knightly for Best Actress after the atrocious reviews for "Anna Karinina".

by Anonymousreply 2811/17/2012

Lincoln is awful and Day-Lewis is one of the biggest reasons why. Terrible script, over the top acting, just so bad it's insulting.

by Anonymousreply 2911/17/2012

Nonsense, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3011/17/2012

I have to say the trailer does not make me want to sit through it..looks so grim.

by Anonymousreply 3111/17/2012

A few questions:

What are Denzel's chances for the win? He gives a great performance in "Flight."

Is it fairly expected that the fifth BA slot will go either to Hugh Jackman or Bradley Cooper?

Lastly, what are McBongo's chances at this point for a supporting actor nod for "Magic Mike"?

by Anonymousreply 3211/17/2012

Denzel has no chance of winning.

Hugh Jackman will get the nomination over Cooper who is considered a lightweight.

There is no chance McBongo will be nominated for a bizarrely over praised performance in one of the worst movies of the year.

by Anonymousreply 3311/17/2012

I wish Jean-Louis Trintignant would bump off Hugh Jackman or Denzel snore Washington.

He gives a great performance in a superb film, and it'll be his last performance in film.

He should get nominated.

Happy for DDL, though. He's a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 3411/17/2012

No chance of Denzel winning. Nom possibility only.

I expect Cooper to have a very good chance of being nominated. Silver Lining Playbook is the kind of movie Oscar voters love, think "As Good As It Gets". Jackman, probably.

McBongo could pull a Supporting; only surefire candidates I can think of right now are Phillip Seymour Hoffman, John Goodman, & Tommy Lee Jones. Django Unchained, Les Mis and Zero Dark Thirty also have strong ensembles so that could edge out McBongo unless he seriously markets himself.

by Anonymousreply 3511/17/2012

Another one of these Rich Little performances that the Academy adores. I hope it isn't as cheesy as "The Iron Lady."

by Anonymousreply 3611/17/2012

"No one is going to Meryl-Streep Mr. Day-Lewis with a third Oscar. He's not going to go down as the "greatest movie actor of all time" (Don't start about Walter Brennan's three Supporting Oscars) because even Streeo had the Hepburn foursome ahead of her."

Why not start with Brennan when one of Streep's thee is a supporting oscar?

The fact is that Day-Lewis is extraordinary in Lincoln and he may very well win an oscar. It is hard to see anyone else beating him for it at this point. It's not impossible, but it is difficult.

Moreover, Day-Lewis, though he makes very few films, is certainly one of the most accomplished movie actors of our time. Very few in Hollywood would argue with that.

Finally, having more oscars than anyone else in a particular category doesn't nec. mean one is the greatest actor of all time. Many would cavil with Hepburn being the greatest actor of all time. And many would list others beside Brennan as being the greatest featured actor in movies of all time. But the same people making those arguments might well have no problem with Hepburn's and Brennan's four and three oscars.

by Anonymousreply 3711/17/2012

Wasn't Day Lewis a front runner for the Best Actor trophy the year that Adrien Brody was named a surprise winner?

by Anonymousreply 3811/17/2012

that Mary Lincoln Roll should have been Patty Duke's

by Anonymousreply 3911/17/2012

r39 - Or Lisa Beemer's...

by Anonymousreply 4011/17/2012

Hepburn's four Oscars had to have been a fluke, as she was so very heavily mannered. Her first one was a WTF, her second a pity vote/joint award to a deceased Spencer Tracy, and her fourth a nostalgia prize.

by Anonymousreply 4111/17/2012

No actor has ever won more than 2 Lead Actor Oscars.

Will Lewis become the first?

by Anonymousreply 4211/17/2012

I had no idea he has hideous tattoos.

DDL will win an Oscar for Lincoln. Amazing performance.

by Anonymousreply 4311/24/2012

Given how well LINCOLN is doing at the boxoffice, and that the momentum for FLIGHT and Denzel Washington is waning, DDL is certainly the frontrunner at this time.

Phoenix will not win - THE MASTER is a flop and his performance is not universally admired (I found it grotesque and quite awful).

I do have some reservations about DDL, though. While his characterization is marvelous, he seems to be acting in his own sphere much of the time instead of being in the scene with everyone else.

And his performance strikes me at time as what critics would call "studied". (I had similar feelings about Streep in THE IRON LADY, but only in certain scenes - she knows how to connect with fellow performers much better than DDL does).

It's a quality of his that has become more pronounced in his acting after he came back to films with GANGS OF NEW YORK after a 5-year hiatus following THE BOXER.

In THERE WILL BE BLOOD, this quality made some sense as his character was obsessed with his meglomaniacal ambition. And the film was built as the ultimate star vehicle since, other than Paul Dano, none of the other actors were allowed to make much of an impression.

I'm sure his defenders will say it's because the other actors aren't in his class, but that's rubbish. When a powerful screen presence like Ciaran Hinds is kept in the background in BLOOD, it's clearly done on purpose.

Clearly DDL is a gifted and imaginative actor, but I wonder if his well-documented obsessive approach to preparing for a role has, after all this time, gotten him too much inside his own head and inhbited his ability to relate to other actors the way he did in much of his late 80's and 90's work.

by Anonymousreply 4411/26/2012

He will most likely win his 3rd Oscar. He is a gifted actor and the reviews of his performance are nearly 100% glowing.

by Anonymousreply 4511/26/2012

DDL is hands down going to win it. As good as the other actor's performances are this year, his portayal of Lincoln was exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 4611/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!