Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Angel Heart"

Very creepy film. Controversial at the time because Cosby kid Lisa Bonet showed her tits and fucked Mickey Rourke on screen.

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2012

It's a favorite of mine, the only film where Mickey Rourke seemed right for the role, and wonderfully atmospheric and visually stylish. The scenes of New Orleans in torrential rain are great; you can almost smell the rain hitting the pavement.

by Anonymousreply 110/08/2012

Mickey was brilliant in it, as were Robert and Lisa. This scene always freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 210/08/2012

And Charlotte Rampling!

by Anonymousreply 310/08/2012

Hot sex scene - IIRC Mickey circled Lisa's hard nips with his tongue and there were nice shots of his ass thrusting and releasing.

by Anonymousreply 410/08/2012

. . .

Pacino and De Niro have both played Satan on film. Have Meryl and Dustin Hoffman ever played that role? (I suppose Meryl was the "Devil" in the The Devil Wears Prada.)

by Anonymousreply 510/08/2012

Yes, R4, and then the blood rained down on them.

by Anonymousreply 610/08/2012

Lisa was gorgeous in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2012

This is one of my all-time favorite horror movies.

Mickey Rourke looked fantastic, too.

by Anonymousreply 810/08/2012

The book was much better, a good pulpy read.

In the book, Epiphany Proudfoot was the proprieter of a profitable herb shop, inherited from her mother. She wore clothes, not see-through rags. She was intelligent; in fact, she was taking college classes! She didn't have an illegitimate devil-baby. She was a confident, self-assured young woman who happened to be a voodoo mambo. She falls in love with Harry Angel, not just fucks him.

Read the book, it's surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 1010/08/2012

Mickey was hot in this. Kind of a dirty ugly hot. This movie got under my skin. Always found voodoo creepy anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1110/08/2012

I absolutely loved this movie. As a teenager.

But it's still a pretty kinky ride - beautifully atmospheric and drenched in great music.

Rourke was at his hottest.

by Anonymousreply 1310/08/2012

"Playing a Southern Creole of color like a Valley Girl."

What are you talking about? I'm not saying she was great in this - in fact I thought she was really flat. But she totally doesn't come off like a Valley Girl at all.

by Anonymousreply 1510/08/2012

"If I could just hold your charms / Again in my arms . . ."

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2012

It's one of those interesting the first time you watch it movies, that end up being boring on subsequent viewings. Since I definitely enjoyed watching it the first time though, I'd recommend seeing it at least once.

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2012

Lisa did an interview saying that she told Cosby that there was nudity in the role, and she said he told her to go for it. I remember, at the time, it was all in the tabloids how he supposedly saw the film and said she's "Getting too big for her britches."

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2012

I thought the twist....Spoiler Alert

That Deniro was Louis Cypher was borderline retarded.

by Anonymousreply 1910/09/2012

Yes Cosby publicly whined about her doing the movie. Since it seemed to upset him so much, I doubt he did ever say "go for it." But it doesn't matter because he had no business controlling what movies she did anyway. And it wasn't a bad movie. One of the reasons I wanted to see it is that I thought Cosby had been obnoxious acting like he had any right to control her movie career. Plus I hated his cutesy show.

by Anonymousreply 2010/09/2012

She was definitely the rebel Cosby kid. A racy film role, posing nude on the cover of Rolling Stone, getting pregnant, the nosering...

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2012

So is the book it's based on(Fallen Angel) worth reading? A lot of rave reviews for it on

by Anonymousreply 2210/10/2012

by Anonymousreply 2310/10/2012

Why has nobody mentioned how hot Robert De Niro was as the devil? The screen's sexiest devil. He exudes confidence. I wanted him to finger Mickey Rourke with his long nails.

by Anonymousreply 2410/10/2012

Just wondering if there was anyone else who'd read it, R23. What did you like about it?

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2012

"They called her the witch of Wellesley. She went around casting spells on society dudes. Didn't go down to well with the Ivy League stiffos."

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2012

Rourke really was pretty hot back then. I loved him and Don Johnson in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, too.

by Anonymousreply 2710/10/2012

I enjoyed the book and the movie, R25. The book is a bit different in that I believe they stay in NYC and the New York area the whole time. I remember a disturbing scene in a theater (abandoned?) in Manhattan.

I enjoyed the NYC feel of the book even though I saw the movie first and thought it was really great Louisiana story. But both of them work quite well. Worth a read, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2012

Yeah, Bobby D. was pretty sexy in this with the long hair and suave presence.

by Anonymousreply 2910/10/2012

the point of this movie is someoneone sold their sole and tried to avoid being taken but couldn't remember after the war. I realize that today's young people don't consider the movie scary but if you take the time to really just listen and watch it really can mess with someone's mind. Great movie foe back in my day. I also suggest tha everyone read the book!

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!