Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cities that surprised you

Cities you visited that were much nicer and more beautiful than you'd expected.

One of my biggest surprises Vicenza in Italy. It is one of the most stunning Renaissance towns I have ever seen, and I had never heard much about it before. The architecture is just unbelievable, even in the city buildings as well as in the more famous Palladio mansions around it. And the light in that city just made everything the prettier.

Ottawa. I was amazed how much great art there is in the National Museum of Canada, and how much good food there is to be had in that city.

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2012

Portland Oregon

Fort Lauderdale

Seam Riep, Cambodia!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 110/08/2012

Portland, Oregon

Luebeck, Schleswig-Holstein

Shisuoka City, Japan

by Anonymousreply 210/08/2012

Glasgow. Everyone makes fun of it, so I wasn't expecting it to be enjoyable, but the downtown architecture was compelling, the museums were decent, and the gays were among the friendliest I met in the UK. I loved the accent too, can't say why.

by Anonymousreply 310/08/2012

Ditto on Ottawa. It's probably bad-mouthed by more Canadians coast-to-coast than any other burg, but it's like a small, surprisingly diverse town that's really unsure about taking the next step to becoming a big city. That should change once many of the upcoming projects downtown come to fruition (the subway/LRT, Nordstrom's addition to the Rideau Centre, Tunney's Pasture condos etc).

Winnipeg is nice too, despite being tarred with the "crime capital of the Prairies" label. Surprisingly sophisticated and great old architecture that makes parts of the downtown look like scenes from a 1940's film noir.

by Anonymousreply 410/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 510/08/2012

Buffalo, NY

Austin, TX

Toronto, ONT

Colorado Springs, CO

by Anonymousreply 610/08/2012

[quote]Colorado Springs, CO

Was about to say this. Maybe not the city itself, but the surroundings are amazing. And some good, repressed cock at the ABs.

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2012

Bergen, Norway

Kusadasi (India)

by Anonymousreply 810/08/2012

Anyone who is surprised by Austin's beauty and diversity has been under a rock for the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 910/08/2012

R8 here. Kusadasi is in Turkey. Lovely city. I meant to type Kantakumari, India.

Add Singapore to my list. I was so pleased with it that I returned twice.

by Anonymousreply 1010/08/2012

Liverpool. I had very low expectations, but the buildings are beautiful, the people wonderful and some interesting things going on.

by Anonymousreply 1110/08/2012

Newark, New Jersey.

Everyone says its a dangerous, stinking shithole.

But I didn't get shot nor was the odor too overpowering.

How surprising.

by Anonymousreply 1210/08/2012

Stockholm, Sarajevo and Vienna --- now wish I'd spent less time in France and Italy earlier in my life.

by Anonymousreply 1310/08/2012

Kansas City has a couple of great art museums and that fancy mall is a trip

by Anonymousreply 1410/08/2012

I liked Newark too. It was an oddly comforting, pre-Internet and pre-chain store time warp. Many hints of the city's Portuguese tradition and evidence of new Islamic converts. The city tries to help its poor and disadvantaged -- the Newark Museum has real ghetto-type local guards and vaccine programs open to the public.

I also liked Cleveland. Politically informed people. A city government which has tried everything to revive the city. For all their creativity, nothing has worked.

by Anonymousreply 1510/08/2012

Boulder, CO

by Anonymousreply 1610/08/2012

R16's post is hilarious. Evil, but hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1710/08/2012

Cleveland and San Antonio.

by Anonymousreply 1810/08/2012

Fort Smith, Arkansas

by Anonymousreply 1910/08/2012

Charlotte metropolitan area. I didn't know much about the south until I went to Gaston County, Raleigh and Charlotte for 2 weeks. Loved North Carolina. It's beautiful. Clean.

by Anonymousreply 2010/08/2012

I'll "third" Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!