Today in Florida: Man dies after roach-eating contest
But first prize was a python!
[quote]Archbold and several other contestants signed up to eat various types of insects for a chance to win the snake. Archbold was named the winner of the contest, but shortly after complained of a stomach ailment. The Broward Sheriff’s Office said Archbold began to throw up the roaches and worms he ate before collapsing in front of the store. He was transported to Broward Health North, where he was pronounced dead.
|by Anonymous||reply 36||10/09/2012|
OH for .........nevermind.
|by Anonymous||reply 1||10/08/2012|
Okay that almost made me throw up.
|by Anonymous||reply 3||10/08/2012|
Eww who does that!!!!!!!!
|by Anonymous||reply 5||10/08/2012|
The visual of him throwing up roaches and worms is gross enough for a horror movie.
|by Anonymous||reply 7||10/08/2012|
Darwin Award front runner.
|by Anonymous||reply 8||10/08/2012|
[quote]Archbold was named the winner of the contest, but shortly after complained of a stomach ailment. The Broward Sheriff’s Office said Archbold began to throw up the roaches and worms he ate before collapsing in front of the store.
God, that is so fucking gross.
What killed him, considering that other contestants had no problems. Was one of the insects or worms harboring some toxin, allergic reaction?
Why Archbold, why?
"Next week on Man vs. Food, Adam travels to South Florida for an unconventional challenge"
|by Anonymous||reply 10||10/08/2012|
Chefs, open your baskets...
|by Anonymous||reply 12||10/08/2012|
This is such a trippy story. So incredibly weird in many ways.
|by Anonymous||reply 13||10/08/2012|
[quote] What killed him?
That's what I was wondering, too. Especially because we're talking insects. You can eat crickets and grasshoppers, so why not roaches and worms?
It's a question I've never wondered about, but are roaches toxic to consume? Interesting.
|by Anonymous||reply 14||10/08/2012|
Maybe the roaches got into the arsenic ant baits.
|by Anonymous||reply 15||10/08/2012|
Is it possible since they have a chitinous armor and scratchy legs they could have pierced something on the way down?
|by Anonymous||reply 16||10/08/2012|
Roaches do actually have a secretion that some people are allergic to. I heard of an entomologist who could drink mass produced coffee, like Folgers, because stuff like that is stored in huge warehouses where lots of roaches get into the coffee beans. He worked with roaches during his graduate study and the sensitivity turned into a full blown allergy.
|by Anonymous||reply 18||10/08/2012|
Well that's turned me off of mass produced coffee R18.
|by Anonymous||reply 19||10/08/2012|
I hope it was not G/R/Umpy.
|by Anonymous||reply 20||10/08/2012|
R19, have you heard of the most expensive coffee for aficionados is made from beans that have passed through the gut of the civet cat?
|by Anonymous||reply 21||10/08/2012|
I would totally think that roaches are toxic since they can dine on practically anything - but if the others came through o.k. it probably was an allergic reaction for him.
This is why you need to do a dry run before any type of competition. It's only sensible.
I might have started with a Ritz, some Cheese Wiz and a roach on top for garnish. As a matter of fact ...
|by Anonymous||reply 22||10/08/2012|
I wish you could smell what I'm smellin Mm, mm, mm You bite the fly, the fly bites back, my man Dayum, dayum, DAY-UM!
|by Anonymous||reply 25||10/08/2012|
who the fuck would eat roaches? and who would sponsor a contest where people had to eat roaches? what's next, shards of glass? idiots.
|by Anonymous||reply 26||10/08/2012|
R27, I'm guessing the second place finisher, but it really should be the estate of the dead "winner".
|by Anonymous||reply 28||10/08/2012|
Divine decadence, darling.
|by Anonymous||reply 30||10/09/2012|
Roaches are FILTH. No wonder the guy died. His relatives ought the sue whoever put on the stupid contest.
There was some radio contest called "Hold Your Wee for A Wii." The stupid contest went like this: the contestants kept drinking lots of water but anyone who couldn't hold it and went to the bathroom was eliminated. Concerned people called in to say that this was dangerous but the radio guys found it hilarious, saying that the contestants signed a release form, so if anything happened they were off the hook. A woman won the Wii; she died shortly after winning the contest. Although she entered the contest of her own free will, her relatives brought a court case against the radio statiog and won, collecting a huge settlement. Maybe the family of the roach eating guy will do the same.
|by Anonymous||reply 31||10/09/2012|
The grossest story I have ever read in the Datalounge. I'm also thinking he was poisoned from DTT or piereced an artery from the legs of the roaches.
|by Anonymous||reply 33||10/09/2012|
They do these type of contests in Joe Rogan's "Fear Factor"...the only segment that I can't watch.
Btw, wasn't "Fear Factor" cancelled for the second time for the Donkey semen stunt?
|by Anonymous||reply 34||10/09/2012|
Oh, dear! Sorry for my bad spelling...hehe!
|by Anonymous||reply 35||10/09/2012|
R27 the competition finished in a dead heat.
|by Anonymous||reply 36||10/09/2012|